PDA

View Full Version : Baffles

Clawhammer
02-22-2017, 08:40 PM
Does anyone use other materials besides glass to make their sump baffles? I was considering corrugated plastic.

I want to put a baffle at the end of my sump to create a chamber for my return pumps. The purpose is to prevent the display tank from overflowing in case the overflow box siphon breaks.

Neptune
02-23-2017, 11:13 PM
Are you going to glue it in? I don't know if silicone will stick to corrugated plastic very well.

Clawhammer
02-23-2017, 11:16 PM
I decided to go with 1/4" acrylic and am pleased with my decision. Definitely better looking and stronger than the 3/32" glass they had at my local big box hardware store.

I think the corrugated plastic would have bowed and put too much stress on the silicone, and thats if the silicone actually worked with corrugated plastic.

Neptune
02-23-2017, 11:22 PM
good call.

alron2
02-24-2017, 03:55 PM
How did you attach the acrylic to the glass? Silicon sealant?

Ron

rickztahone
02-24-2017, 05:04 PM
I decided to go with 1/4" acrylic and am pleased with my decision. Definitely better looking and stronger than the 3/32" glass they had at my local big box hardware store.

I think the corrugated plastic would have bowed and put too much stress on the silicone, and thats if the silicone actually worked with corrugated plastic.

Keep in mind that there is a huge debate about using acrylic in a glass sump. The argument is that acrylic absorbs a very small amount of water which makes it swell over a period of time.

This swelling eventually stresses the glass and cracks the glass.

Many claim that if you have to go this route, to make the baffles a little less "tight" than you would with glass to give them a chance to expand over time.

just a little FYI for you.

Clawhammer
02-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Thanks Ricardo. I have all my baffles cut to 11.5", luckily that gave about a 1/4" on each side. I will definitely keep an eye on them.

Discus-n00b
02-24-2017, 10:01 PM
And watch the silicone, I've always been cautioned about silicone not bonding to acrylic well. Also along the same lines Ricardo pointed out, acrylic can warp and bend over time especially in warm conditions and with the water pressure on them making the bonds with the silicone even worse. In a toasty discus tank, especially with that heated water starting in the sump if that is where your equipment is, it could warp them overtime.

It can work, I'd just keep my eye out.