PDA

View Full Version : How's NADA?

RogueDiscus
02-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Haven't seen any posts in a while. I'm sure everyone is taking a breather after last year's events. I've already started thinking about NADA's 2018 convention. So just checking in and wondering how the organization is doing. Maybe it's time for a raffle :)
Steve

Yom
02-24-2017, 04:02 PM
Been wondering where and when the next convention is so I can bounce it to my calendar.

rickztahone
02-24-2017, 05:01 PM
NADA '18!!! Get hyped! :)

LizStreithorst
02-24-2017, 05:14 PM
I'm no longer in with the in crowd but from what I've gathered through the grape vine Nada is on track. The location (but not the hotel) has been chosen. I guess that they like to keep it secret in case some wrench gets thrown into the works. Worry not. There will be raffles when the time comes for them.

atlantadiscus
02-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Just for you Liz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF7KU50IY34

Lido
02-24-2017, 07:05 PM
I'm no longer in with the in crowd but from what I've gathered through the grape vine Nada is on track. The location (but not the hotel) has been chosen. I guess that they like to keep it secret in case some wrench gets thrown into the works. Worry not. There will be raffles when the time comes for them.

The streets 'b talkin! Do the "streets" know what city, or state, they've chosen?

LizStreithorst
02-24-2017, 08:08 PM
I'm out with the in crowd. I have reliable sources whose trust I cannon betray. I know the State. I don't know the hotel nor the date. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajBdDM2qdg

RogueDiscus
02-24-2017, 08:10 PM
I'm our with the in crowd. I have reliable sources whose trust I cannon betray. I know the State. I don't know the hotel nor the date. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajBdDM2qdg

So, you're just a tease, eh?

LizStreithorst
02-24-2017, 08:19 PM
I'm only tease enough to tell you that the details are in the works and not to worry I'm privy to almost nothing but I trust my sources. Call me the "fake news" lady if you like.

Larry Bugg
02-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Announcements aren't far away. The new NADA BOD was just elected and we are now getting ready to vote on several items. One of those items is who will be on the NADA 2018 Show committee. Once the committee is elected then we be ready to move forward.

LizStreithorst
02-24-2017, 08:56 PM
Dottie and I are looking forward to it. We may fly. I don't know about anyone else but nothing satisfies me like a NADA show.

RogueDiscus
02-24-2017, 09:12 PM
So, you would need to fly, eh?.....hmm. Glad I could stir up some info.

Clawhammer
02-24-2017, 09:14 PM
I think Steve and I are both keeping our fingers crossed for the West Coast :)

Discus-n00b
02-24-2017, 09:25 PM
I'm excited to find out. If I drive, where ever it is, it will be turned into a scenic road trip rather than there and back like before. I could be tempted to fly and rent a car, but where is the adventure in that? We'll see whats between here and there before the decision is made!

LizStreithorst
02-24-2017, 09:36 PM
So, you would need to fly, eh?.....hmm. Glad I could stir up some info.

We wouldn't need to fly. Dottie is a driving son of a gun. She's not afraid of cities like I am. We will decide how to get there when we have more information. Right now, flying is the better choice.

LizStreithorst
02-24-2017, 09:37 PM
I can't wait.

nc0gnet0
02-24-2017, 09:41 PM

nc0gnet0
02-24-2017, 10:26 PM
We will have several announcements and hopefully a raffle real soon. It takes a bit of time to recharge your batteries after an event such as Chicago, but I feel we have a good team in place to make the next show even better yet (and this won't be an easy task).

Rick

Lido
02-25-2017, 01:08 PM
I really hope it is in the western United States somewhere. Although I just may go further depending on where it is. Let's just hope https://youtu.be/5wBTdfAkqGU

nc0gnet0
02-25-2017, 01:53 PM
I really hope it is in the western United States somewhere. Although I just may go further depending on where it is. Let's just hope https://youtu.be/5wBTdfAkqGU

In selecting a destination, we consider a few different things. First of all, we need a strong local following that is able to host the show. While a lot can be done on the National level to support the local group, having boots on the ground is a big factor in determining a location.

Second, we pay attention to where our attendee's from past shows have come from. For instance this is a map Keith kept updated of where people that booked rooms for the 2016 show originated from:

Larry Bugg
02-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Hmmmm...................

RogueDiscus
02-25-2017, 02:12 PM
The boots on the ground makes sense, (kudos again the the MWDA? hope I got that right.) and I can tell there are fewer discus folks in my neck of the woods, so it doesn't make sense to have a meeting in say Seattle, yet. And I do see a large number of attendees to the 2016 show came from areas closer to Chicago, and the east coast in general. But LA or SF might draw in more west coast folks.

Larry Bugg
02-25-2017, 04:21 PM
It is not just a discus thing. It is all kinds of aquatics. The Northeast has always been when it comes to attendance of aquatic clubs and meetings. Just a fact. The Chicaga area is also very strong. A lot of those NE folks attended the Show in Austin and that is quite a haul for them. Not sure why the West Coast doesn't participate more in these kind of things but they don't. If we had a strong local group on the West Coast that wanted to commit to running a Show they would certainly be considered but up to now there hasn't been anyone step up.

Clawhammer
02-25-2017, 04:55 PM
One last lobbying effort in hopes to influence future locations..... The Pacific Northwest is absolutely beautiful that time of year!

Certainly understand locating it in a place that makes it easier to have a large turnout considering people are bringing in fish and whatnot..

jawfish
02-25-2017, 09:59 PM
I missed 2016, just too many things with my move and work, but I will definetly be there in 2018 !!! Planning on bringing a few Quebecers with me to boost the Canadian presence :o

Fred

nc0gnet0
02-25-2017, 10:58 PM
It is not just a discus thing. It is all kinds of aquatics. The Northeast has always been when it comes to attendance of aquatic clubs and meetings. Just a fact. The Chicaga area is also very strong. A lot of those NE folks attended the Show in Austin and that is quite a haul for them. Not sure why the West Coast doesn't participate more in these kind of things but they don't. If we had a strong local group on the West Coast that wanted to commit to running a Show they would certainly be considered but up to now there hasn't been anyone step up.

Strong, not so subtle hint :)

Discus-n00b
02-25-2017, 11:25 PM
Well dang I guess Grand Canyon, Moab/Arches, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Death Valley, and My Rainier are off the NADA travel list for 2018!

RogueDiscus
02-26-2017, 12:23 AM

Now, don't get my hopes ups if it's already set. I could make some calls :)

Well dang I guess Grand Canyon, Moab/Arches, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Death Valley, and My Rainier are off the NADA travel list for 2018!

Sounds like a NADA tour on the way to the show!

Discus-n00b
02-26-2017, 12:41 AM
Sounds like a NADA tour on the way to the show!

Driving to and from Austin TX, and then Chicago from SC I told myself that the next one I do will be a scenic photography roadtrip built in. So whatever I can find on the way, I secretly hope for a west coast event at some point because of this lol.

Keith Perkins
02-26-2017, 10:57 AM
It takes a bit of time to recharge your batteries after an event such as Chicago

Amen to that. Fortunately a really good bottle of Scotch helps a lot.

I may be able to be bought, PM me. :evilgrin:

Second Hand Pat
02-26-2017, 11:08 AM
I may be able to be bought, PM me. :evilgrin:

With Scotch I bet :badmin:

CliffsDiscus
02-26-2017, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=RogueDiscus;

But LA or SF might draw in more west coast folks.[/QUOTE]

Back around 1995 DSG (Discus Study Group)was interested in SF, we even checked out locations and
decided Holiday Inn, one breeder offer a $10, 000
for best in show, but locals was low. Now the year
2007 the ACA had their convention with NADA in
Sacramento.

Cliff

CLIFF

nc0gnet0
02-27-2017, 01:05 PM
We will have some announcements in regards to the show location (city), an upcoming raffle (next few weeks) and even a surprise contest real soon, so stay tuned!!

-Rick

Lido
02-27-2017, 02:19 PM

I suppose California has a much larger Marine Aquarium thing. However, every aquarium show i've ever been to in CA, even the frag swaps are always chocked full of people. I think that the West Coast folks go to the shows less because just to fly to the east coast is $400, not counting anything additional. Typically your attendance is going to come from people who can drive. Just a fact.

As far as boots on the ground. I totally understand that is extremely important, especially considering most of the NADA officers are in the Eastern US.

RogueDiscus
02-27-2017, 03:20 PM
I get the impression the location is picked for 2018. Actually seems like a quick selection compared to what I remember about the Chicago announcement. I think if we wanted one on the west coast, that would be something to start thinking about and researching for the future.

Keith Perkins
02-27-2017, 03:39 PM
As far as boots on the ground. I totally understand that is extremely important, especially considering most of the NADA officers are in the Eastern US.

The term "boots on the ground" really doesn't have anything to do with NADA officers, it has to do with people "local" to where the show is being held to do the physical work. I put local in quotes because I was probably an hour and a half from where the show was held but was still one of the boots on the ground folks. What it takes to put on a show is one or two local people willing to do most of the pre-show requirements, a crew of ten give or take to build show racks; and about the same number for set-up, teardown, making airport runs, managing the tank area, manning the reception desk, etc. The NADA board members more supervise to make sure everything gets done before and during the show, pay the bills, and pitch in during the show as they like. I only became a board member because we were hosting the show and I thought it would make things easier, though in honesty it probably didn't make any difference.

nc0gnet0
02-27-2017, 05:02 PM
I get the impression the location is picked for 2018. Actually seems like a quick selection compared to what I remember about the Chicago announcement. I think if we wanted one on the west coast, that would be something to start thinking about and researching for the future.

In all fairness, the Chicago show had a bit of a delayed announcement and not so much that this years choice was quick. But yes, if you have a group that wanted to host a show, it's never to early to start planning. Also, while not required, it is strongly recommended that a group that wanted to host a show had been to at least one.

-Rick

Poppa Ryno
03-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Any hints as to where? I thought i knew, but my post looks to have been removed.

Lido
03-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Wink Wink hint hint, Southern California is beautiful all year around. We additionally have a VERY GREAT aquatics/club community in this area. (it also happens to be the center of the international shipping world for live fish from Asia) cough cough. I MAY or may not know some people who would help to get things working. cough cough 2020, Orange County, CA cough cough!

Did i mention it is a fantastic location for family vacations?

Larry Bugg
03-06-2017, 08:30 PM
Someone from Southern California has to step up and say "I (Emphasis on I) want to run the NADA Show in Southern California and I am ready to submit a bid to NADA detailing how I can make it happen and here is the group that is backing me......." . If you want the Show in Southern Cali then find that person.

LizStreithorst
03-30-2017, 12:26 AM
We will have some announcements in regards to the show location (city), an upcoming raffle (next few weeks) and even a surprise contest real soon, so stay tuned!!

-Rick

So how many weeks do you consider to be a few, Rick? How much longer must we "stay tuned"?

nc0gnet0
03-30-2017, 08:42 AM
So how many weeks do you consider to be a few, Rick? How much longer must we "stay tuned"?

Liz,

I can give you the general area, it will be in or around New Jersey. We are still in the early stages of negotiations with a few Hotels, so I cannot give you a definitive site just yet.

-Rick

Skip
03-30-2017, 09:55 AM
Liz,

I can give you the general area, it will be in or around New Jersey. We are still in the early stages of negotiations with a few Hotels, so I cannot give you a definitive site just yet.

-Rick

NEW JERSEY!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/sYqIFgBEqxWy4/giphy.gif

Poppa Ryno
03-30-2017, 12:27 PM
______ shore!

Poppa Ryno
03-30-2017, 12:27 PM
The host is Awesome.

Disgirl
03-30-2017, 01:25 PM
Yahoo, I can drive this time!!!
Barb

RogueDiscus
03-30-2017, 02:02 PM
I may have to bring my wife to visit her brother in Cranford. Might become an East Coast family trip. Time to start saving. :)