PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank too small??

MarkyMark
02-28-2017, 09:39 AM
I've set up a quarantine tank and would very much appreciate some input as to whether you think my plan will work.

In summary the quarantine tank is 2ft x 1ft x 1.5ft (~80 litres) with an internal filter (rated at 150 litre) and a sponge filter, a heater, lid, dim day/night light and I've painted the bottom, sides and back. The tank has been set up for several weeks and has cycled.

I would like to get three 14cm Stendkers to add to my existing six fish which are from the same source, and then get another three after those have been introduced. I'm prepared to do daily 80% water changes for the six week quarantine periods.

Does this approach sound ok or have I overlooked something? In hindsight I think a bigger tank would have been optimal but could I still be successful with this set-up or would it be prudent to rethink?

Many thanks in advance of your suggestions

LJSmith
02-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Let others chime in, but I think you are borderline but ok. Just watch aggression and have a backup plan in case you have to move one.

MarkyMark
02-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Let others chime in, but I think you are borderline but ok. Just watch aggression and have a backup plan in case you have to move one.

Do you think I'd be better to quarantine them in three batches of two, rather than two batches of three?

LJSmith
02-28-2017, 11:22 AM
Yes. There is a very smart person on this forum that underestimated the spike that can occur in small tanks and lost fish during quarantine. With three you have a small margin of error. With two you widen it considerably. It is bare bottom right?

MarkyMark
02-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Yes. There is a very smart person on this forum that underestimated the spike that can occur in small tanks and lost fish during quarantine. With three you have a small margin of error. With two you widen it considerably. It is bare bottom right?

Yes it's bare bottom. Thank you for your suggestion.

warblad79
02-28-2017, 05:41 PM
I used 20G tank for quarantine but for a short period of time like 2-3 days and then PP bath before moving them to bigger tank. But 20G is too small for 3x 5.5" discus and I think they'll get more stress due to constant fighting over territory. That's why I don't do long period of quarantine since I have only few tanks available. So far I don't have any death,they are thriving and breeding in my tank. I respect everybody's method of quarantine process but 6 weeks of quarantine is way too long for me. Since the fish already acclimated to tap water unless if you have wild.

DISCUS STU
03-07-2017, 08:24 AM
This can work. Feeding lightly, low light, low stress to avoid fighting if you're doing two batches of three. These are fully grown fish so you can feed once daily something relatively clean like frozen blood worms. It looks like your maintenance routine is sound.

I'm qt'ing two wilds in a 15 gal. (56.7 lt.) now. My fish are acclimated to my tap water and doing well with an external filter. I know their source and will introduce them to my main tank in about another week after three weeks total in qt.

MarkyMark
03-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Thank you for the advice guys. Much appreciated

tvo
04-03-2017, 11:44 PM
OP, i'm curious how this turned out. what did you decided to do. i'm in the same situation my self. thanks

gluedandscrewed
04-04-2017, 06:55 AM
with 80% water changes daily why would you even be concerned about cycling the tank? I used a 20 gal. to grow out my 10 juvies for a month on only 10-15% change daily but they were only dime and nickel size..set up a new 100 gal., filled it with water and put the fish in two days later, been in there a month now and doing great, biggest one now about 3 inches and this morning started to hand feed,, great feeling to have them pecking at your finger tips