PDA

View Full Version : Lost my Best Bud yesterday...a Feline friend like no other.

brewmaster15
03-01-2017, 10:45 AM
My best bud Whiskers used the last of his 9 lives yesterday... I'm writing this here in my homestead now to help me deal with it. I know some of you reading this will understand.

It was probably one of the saddest days I have seen in a long time. It was unexpected which is really what makes it rough on me and my family. I know there are some members out there that look at their cats, dogs, horses etc as just animals....but I am not one of them. I've shared very special bonds with my cats my whole life. They become family here. Whiskers was no different in that regard. I got whiskers 3 1/2 years ago . He was a 10 year old rescue cat in a no-kill shelter at the time. His records showed he had been in the shelter, in a that cage for almost a year. He was a shy scared cat but when I came to the door, he head butted me thru the bars. My cats have always picked me, I never picked them and I knew this fellow needed me. I also needed him having lost my last cat after 16 years a few months earlier. I took him home and he spent the next two weeks with me isolated from the other cats in the house as we treated him for worms and fleas ( just in case). He was the master head butt cat... he loved nothing more than be right there with you. He had been declawed, and was not good with other cats, so his first 6 months, he really spent hiding the days away under the bed. At night he would come out and sleep on the bed with us.. He would burrow under the sheets too. This cat could tunnel like no other.

The shelter we got him from had really dropped the ball on him. Our Vet said his teeth were the worst he had ever seen.. So he needed several extractions. He suffered from very bad allergies, and was prone to infections. He made the cat pharmaceautical companies very wealthy. He even made the human ones some decent cash as we tried to deal with issue after issue. We finally got a good handle on these things and he was doing well.Pretty soon he would start coming out and exploring the house.
He had many run ins with Matt and Violet the two younger cats we have. It was at first a very one sided battle. They kicked his but. They had claws, he didn't and they claimed the house. But Whiskers was never a quitter. He changed tactics and what he lacked in claws, he made up with his sounds.. He would chase them and hiss and wail like a banshee.. He intimidated them and in a short time became the king of the house... He would patrol his turf regularly in case the youngsters got too confident..

Then out of the blue about 2 years ago he became ill, unresponsive. I took him to the animal hospitol and he spent several days in ICU in an oxygen chamber. They ran tests, tried meds, but he was failing. He was not eating either. So against the Hospitals advise, I took him home and spent the next few days taking care of him. He started eating again and soon had recovered. They never could figure out the cause... a virus maybe .

The last year and half had been great. We figured out how to deal with his allergies. I perfected the Kitty Burrito where you wrap the cat in a towel and can then easily give him his allergy pills.. we had tried many prescriptions from the vet.. Zytec worked the best.. 1/2 pill morning and night. We also found that food was a trigger. He seemed to do best on foods that had no artificial ingredients.

Thru all these issues, he was always gentle. Always wanted to be with us. He would greet each member of the family with a meow and head butt when he saw them. As for me I can say that though I only had him in my life 3 and 1/2 years. I have never spent more time with one my cats. He was with me 24/7. At night he slept on my side. If I was watching Tv.. he was on my side, or lap. If was working late in my office he made sure I knew when it was time to call it a day. And during the day... he worked with me. He was probably with me when ever I posted anything here the last few years.

WE had to put a bell on him as he was a stealth cat and we worried about him getting stepped on. The jingle was comforting to hear.. My office and the house are sadly quiet now. 2 days ago we noted behavior changes. He seemed unsteady, had not been using the litter box and was getting swollen in his belly. Lack of energy and just laying around. He had also lost alot of weight, but being a thin cat always, it was not noticeable. His appetite was actually really great. I knew when I called the Vet yesterday that his time was here. I already knew what the Vet would find. He had cancer. There was nothing that could be done. He may have had it a while and he just lost the battle. Last night we made the incredibly difficult decision to put him to sleep. It was so unexpected . I know it was the right decision. But its never an easy one.

Thank you for reading the story of my Best Bud Whisker's Life. He was a special family member that we will never forget and we miss him greatly already.

My Last Pic of him, taken just before we went to the Vet. I spent yesterday with him one last time. Laying down, watched some TV together, Watching the Clock for the appointment.

Rest in Peace Whiskers, and Thank you. You brought us alot of happy times.

LJSmith
03-01-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry Al. I have a particular cat today that I love to pieces. I have lost some great pets over the years. Trust me on this, they always find their way back to our sides.

brewmaster15
03-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Thanks Lucas. Theres never enough time with them.

al

Debow
03-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Al, as we all know losing a pet is much more than that, It's like losing a best friend and a companion. Cherish the memories and time spent together, don't dwell on the negative. I am sure Whiskers had a terrific life being part of your family and no one will ever forget that.

jmf3460
03-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Dang Al, sorry about your cat. This was a really good write up, did Whiskers honest that is for sure. I know it was therapeutic to write it also. My cat is 8 years old now, she is my best bud. I know how terrible it is to lose a pet. So sorry for your loss.

Second Hand Pat
03-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Al, I am sure glad you and Whiskers found each other. You and your family give Whiskers the best gift of all, a warm, loving place by your side. I am so sorry to hear about his passing. Like you my animals are part of the family. Many, many hugs to you, Carrie and the kids.
Pat

nc0gnet0
03-01-2017, 12:16 PM
So sorry for your loss, my dogs are like family to me so I know your pain. At least you can take solace in the fact that the last years of Whiskers life were his best years.

-Rick

Akili
03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad she lived a beautiful life with a wonderful owner.

madball59
03-01-2017, 12:24 PM
Hi Al,
I'm sorry for your loss!!! For me losing a cat or a dog is like losing a family member. It hurts!!! I had to put my brothers cat down 3 years ago he was 17. My brother brought him home after someone dropped him and his brother a sisters off at his job. The day I had to put him down I just broke down. It was one of the hardest things I had to do. They will always give you great memories!!! Now I have to maine coons and they are great cats!!! 5yrs and 1 2yrs old. I hope you get through this tough time it hard!!

Lido
03-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Al, i just got done reading this. It is truly heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. It sure sounded like you guys needed each other. It sounds like you both benefitted greatly from your bond. I know how hard it can be, my dog of 15 years just died two weeks ago. We had him since the day he was born.

Just know that you were just as important to Whiskers as he was to you. You made the best of the last years of his already difficult life. I know they say "time heals all wounds" but I believe it is different than that. I believe in time we realize the lessons that our friends brought us in life, through those lessons they live on through us. As we grow and change we will take those lessons with us. So Whiskers will forever live within your family, their children and so on.

My deepest condolences

Kirbs
03-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Al,

Sorry for your loss! Losing a beloved pet is difficult!

Lilyann
03-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Hugs to you and your family Al, at the loss of your friend... Cats are amazing creatures...they burrow themselves into our hearts and lives and bring us such joy: their wildness, eccentricities, and desire to be near you (curled up and purring) and, on the other hand, displaying a fierce independence...their is nothing quite like them...

Jenene
03-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Oh Al, that is the saddest but one of the most inspiring rescue stories I have ever heard. You saved his life and gave him joy. He returned the favor many times over by the sound of your "voice". You gave him his life back, earned his trust and gave him the love and the home he desperately needed and deserved.

My heart breaks for you and your family. Pets are not "pets" in our house but family members. One of the saddest things we do when we care for pets is to care enough to give them the peace and relief they need when the time comes. They let you know when that is.

Thinking of you and your family as you begin heal. He will always be a part of your family. Those photos and memories you have of him will live on with you and in time will bring you some joy again as you remember him as he was in better times.

Sending my warmest thoughts, Jenene

RobbieRobV
03-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Sorry to hear that Al... It's always difficult when these things happen. My condolences to you and your family.

Disgirl
03-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Sending you my sympathy Al. We have 4 much loved rescued cats, they are very important in our lives. You will have such good memories of your little friend, to last a lifetime. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Hugs,
Barb

Jack L
03-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Sorry man. Pets find a special place in our hearts

farebox
03-02-2017, 08:48 AM
Sorry for ya Al, know the feeling brother. Our cat passed two yrs ago on New Year's Eve. He too was my "best friend", matter of fact I credited him for saving one of my discus that has jumped out the tank onto the floor. Harly kept crying until he got my attention. We had him cremated and ashes in a nice wooden box placed in his bed.

brewmaster15
03-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I knew a bunch of you could relate. We are doing our best here.. Not easy to get used to though. You forget how big a part of your life they played until they are gone. Little things remind you they are gone. I instinctively went to pick up his food while shopping at the grocery last night..Saw my black camera bag out of the corner of my eye and thought it was him. Definitely going to take some getting used to. Appreciate all your support though...It helps alot.

al

korbi_doc
03-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Al, Carrie, & family, I am so sorry you are going through this heavy loss...it is never easy, & it will hurt for a very long time...some friends will understand & others may not, but that matters not....It is your loss, your pain & you as a family must support each other because you are all hurting & missing a best friend...having been through much of this over the years with friends, clients & my own family, I've seen lots of very tough times with loss & I can only say, you never forget, just make room in your heart for them & in time it will ease & you will hold all the wonderful memories close to your heart....& remember Whiskers had wonderful years with you all regardless the length of time...understanding your grief, & thinking of you, Dottie

brewmaster15
03-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the support here Dottie. He was a special cat, and always will be to me. I will say this though, black cats get a bum rap in the supernatural mythos... its sad that they get overlooked as pets by many people as a result. I do hope that people reading this will forget all the garbage written about black cats and give one a chance. He/she may just be your next best friend.

al

Discus-n00b
03-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Sorry to hear this Al, always tough. I fear I'm getting close with one of my dogs, around a 15 year old black lab. She has a great spirit and acts just fine, the vet says she is perfectly healthy except for her hips and joints which are really where her aging is. She is starting not to move so well. Enjoy the time you have with them!

Altum Nut
03-04-2017, 12:32 AM
Sorry Al for the lose of your best Bud Whiskers. Pets in general over a number of years together seem to form a bond which is hard to break and at this time feel your pain. I had to put down only one so far years back..my 15 yr old Black Lab which was as loyal as they get.
Keep Whiskers in your heart as I'm sure he will never forget you.

...Ralph

brewmaster15
03-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Thanks Guys.. Matt, Hope your Lab is with you a long time still. Losing them is definitely a heart breaker Ralph. You all rock. I have gotten some really great support here. Even had people reach out to me from years ago on this. It definitely helps so thank you all.

al

Bill63SG
03-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Sorry to see this Al.Just recently went thru the same thing.The pup we adopted after "The Round Hound" passed after we had him 2 years.Developed a hole in his lung,lost in a matter of about 4hrs.Its never easy when expected or unexpected.

brewmaster15
03-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Sorry to see this Al.Just recently went thru the same thing.The pup we adopted after "The Round Hound" passed after we had him 2 years.Developed a hole in his lung,lost in a matter of about 4hrs.Its never easy when expected or unexpected.
Bill that is really a bummer... I missed that thread about Bishop...Poor guy.:( Sorry to hear that!.. I see you got a new Bud in your life.. Hope all is well with Hudson!

al

Bill63SG
03-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Thanks Al. Puppy can sure take your mind off of other things. One plus we didn't expect was our other dog Thor pretty much adopted him. He would tolerate Bishop but actually plays with Hudson. Once some time has passed I'm sure you'll be ready for another hard case. My wife was the one not ready and then one day she couldn't take anymore election bs so she put on animal planet to lighten things up and they had pit bull puppies on. One week later.....

ssevasta
06-28-2017, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry for your loss Al. Reading this reminds me of when my dog Snuggles passed away at the age of 14. The whole family was devastated, especially two of my younger sisters who were only 11 and 12 at the time. People who don't keep pets just don't seem to understand how they become family members in their own special ways. Even my discus are considered part of our family now.

brewmaster15
06-28-2017, 03:14 PM
Thank Sean. Yep, I still miss my bud.:(

al

lastflea
05-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Hey Al, it's been a while since you posted this, but just really wanted to share something with you. I never was a cat person, until the day Mojo walked into our lives. She just hung around in the back garden, looking a bit scared when we went outside, but she didn't leave. We didn't feed her, thinking she'd go away on her own, back to her owner, but she didn't. For two days and nights she just stayed in our garden, or so it would seem. In the end we fed her, and she gulped down a plate of cooked chicken like it was her last. I guess that was kind of it. There was no turning back....

We took her to the vets for a check up and they said she was in good shape, but needed feeding. So we stocked up on the best stuff, and she just went nuts for it. They said she needed snipping so she can't get pregnant and we agreed and said we'd sort that out asap.

She was really jumpy with us, and whenever I came in the front room she'd hide under the table. When she needed to go outside we'd open the door and it'd take her ages to pluck up the courage to go out. We figured she'd come from a bad home, and maybe the dad used to boot her out. This made sense because she was most jumpy with me, and didn't come near me for ages. Hiding under the table was a real sign she was scared of me.

Anyway, after a couple weeks, she started acting really strange. The most awful wailing sound, and looking around all panicking. We were totally confused and worried. In the end she made a cave, up on my sons bed, using his duvet. I literally mean a cave. It was incredible. We were really worried though, what was happening?? 3 hours later, my wife, Jo, came in to me and was like "you're not going to believe this....!!!!". Sure enough, there were two little kittens with Mojo, and she was tending them like any good mum. A while later then there was four of them. Never have I felt such a mix of joy, wonder, and absolute panic in my life, except when my first born was delivered maybe.....

The rest is history, but what made me want to share this is your comment that cats choose you. We like to think Mojo ran away from a bad home for the safety of her unborn. She had a mosey around town, found us, and thought "yeah, these guys seem ok". Even though she was jumpy as hell, she chose us, and in the end she was safe.

I felt your grief when I read this post. It made me think what it'd be like to lose Mojo. We moved the kittens on, except one, but she died from some sort of injury and found her by our front door. We think she was hit by a car, but tried to get home. It's a bit of a wrench, especially after we got Mojo snipped, so can never experience her with babies again, or keep one :(

Sorry for your loss Al. Hope these pictures of Mojo bring a smile.... (the last is my favourite because it was the first time she squinted her eyes at me). A sure sign of feeling relaxed. She's still a little jumpy, 2 years after she turned up, but when she sits on my lap from time to time we get well connected and I'm a total cat convert.

Jenene
05-14-2018, 07:06 PM
That was a really sweet story..Thank you for sharing. It sounds like it was a win win for everyone involved... so sorry about the kitten though.

Second Hand Pat
05-15-2018, 07:33 AM
Aww Rob, what a sweet story. Mojo is such a lucky cat but so are you for allowing her in your family's life. The death of the kitten is a bit heart wrenching :( but we have to take the bad with the good, such is life.

Tom and I have been adopted by both a cat and a dog. Blaze is a lovely cat with a heart of gold. Gypsy came with a bit of baggage but she has learned to trust us completely which took a couple of years. They are both lovely animals and a part of our family.
Pat

Jandiscus
05-15-2018, 09:22 AM
I know the feeling. But there is some comfort in knowing that you gave him the best life extension he could have ever wished for. Without you, your care and love he would have had a different destiny.

I wish you strength and happy thoughts about the time he was with you and your family.

Best,

Jan

Pices
05-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Thanks for sharing Whiskers journey. You stuck by him through bad teeth, allergies and unknowns. I really liked how he triumphed over the kitties with claws. What a smart cat! I had a 19 yr old pound pup who I eventually had to euthanize and I still wonder if I waited too long. If I loved her too much to see the signs-not of suffering, but loss of dignity. Your post actually made me finally realize what I felt guilty about.
Seeing the last pic of whiskers shows me that he kept his dignity in spite of your own needs not to say goodbye. You were a friend to the end. Whiskers waited a long time for you in that cage, but chose well. So sorry for your loss.

FischAutoTechGarten
05-15-2018, 06:16 PM
Cats are good people!

brewmaster15
05-16-2018, 08:06 AM
That was a really sweet story..Thank you for sharing. It sounds like it was a win win for everyone involved... so sorry about the kitten though.

Rob,
Thats an awesome story! Thank you! I am so glad that Mojo chose you! what a great experience!

brewmaster15
05-16-2018, 08:33 AM
I havent posted much on my cats lately but Seeing on how this thread came back up I thought I would update you all. We still have our disbetic Cat Matt and his Sister Violet. Whiskers definitely left a hole in our family. I was not sure I wanted another cat but as time went by I knew Id find another. when I did I wanted it to be another black cat.Not as a replacement to Whiskers but because I didnt want another Black Cat sitting in a shelter months and months like Whiskers had or worse being abused or neglected because its a black cat and theres too many superstitious people out there.

I tentatively started looking at shelters ..theres no shortage of black cats there but then I came across a Craigslist ad for kittens. I dont know why but I called, drove an hour and visited. The kittens were older... maybe 12 weeks.. One little guy caught my eye...a rambuncious ball of fur.Mom was a rescue cat that was pregnant. I left with the little guy. That was this past fall.

He is black, almost chocolate black... has a while patch between his hind legs and a small white spot on his chest. He is adhd as far as cats go..gets into everything. Literally opens draws and takes out stuff. Aside from being a black cat he is nothing like whiskers, for which I am very happy. He is definitely unique! His name is Dante.After Dante Allegheri of Dantes Inferno :)

I like to believe when one cat leaves a cat person its because they know another cat needs that person. I have to believe that Dante needed to be here . We never will forget Whiskers... but theres always room in our hearts for another cat.
al

Meet Dante the cat.:)

smsimcik
05-16-2018, 04:14 PM
Wow Al, glad to hear Matt is still hanging in there. Last time I saw any statistics on diabetes in cats, the average survival time for them once they are diagnosed is less than a year. Ya'll must be doing a great job keeping him regulated.

You are right that there is no shortage of black cats( or dogs) in shelters. That's been common knowledge among shelter operators for years. Apparently, the general public doesn't like to adopt black cats or dogs because they think they are "evil looking" or "sneaky looking" or they bring bad luck. Lol. It's ridiculous and a darn shame.

lastflea
05-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Thanks to all who enjoyed my story about Mojo. She warms our hearts and gets more and more comfortable as time goes by. One day she'll walk past me out of the back door without a single care of harm. Or we could just get a cat flap...... ding!!!

Great to see you with a new, black cat Al, and what a lovely, shiny coat. Beautiful.

Jenene
05-18-2018, 09:53 PM
Ha ha Al! By your pics he IS into everything!!!

I remember how sick Matt was when you returned from vacation last summer. You lost a lot of sleep nursing him back to health. Good to hear he’s still with you. Do they all get along?

Second Hand Pat
05-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Gosh Dante is cute and beautiful Al. I bet he is exactly what you need. :D
Pat

pm9ljr
06-04-2018, 04:15 PM
I know this was awhile ago. But my wife and I are cat lovers too. Every time one of them passes its killer just killer

Most of ours are from rescue or have wandered up and realized they had a forever home on the other side of that door.

Anyway I can attest that it never gets easier... but for the time they are with us ... well you know

brewmaster15
06-04-2018, 04:24 PM
I know this was awhile ago. But my wife and I are cat lovers too. Every time one of them passes its killer just killer

Most of ours are from rescue or have wandered up and realized they had a forever home on the other side of that door.

Anyway I can attest that it never gets easier... but for the time they are with us ... well you know

Thank you Lloyd. Yes I know well:) little fur balls definitely leave a mark during the time they are here. :)

al

Discluv
06-04-2018, 09:10 PM
After Dante Allegheri of Dantes Inferno

Such an original name! Perfecto!

We are of the same mind, my black cat is named Notte which is "night" in Italian. ;)

Of course at the vets they pronounce it "naughty": and I have to correct them, its pronounced nOtay