PDA

View Full Version : Discus sick, need help. Plz advise!

farzadkavari
03-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Hi there,

I tried to look for the disease form but I could not find it on here. I have a 90 gallon well established (5 years old). I'll be honest I got caught up with life and fell behind a bit in water changes and couple of my adult discus have not been eating in past few weeks and standing in the back of the tank. I lost 2 in past couple of weeks. :( The others from the pack seem to be doing better but still acting sluggish.
I noticed from the one that died that it had poped eyes with fluid ball around eyes. I assumed it was internal bacterial infection so I treated with Kanaplex for past couple days. It's still early but I can't say they have shown a huge signs on improvements. Today I noticed white stringy poop hanging from couple of them and at the bottom of that tank also. Now the poop seem to be white, long, segmented and a bit clear/cloudy color (not solid white). Any advise on what my next move should be? I'm not sure if this could be HEX or not?

Thanks

farzadkavari
03-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Hi there,

I tried to look for the disease form but I could not find it on here. I have a 90 gallon well established (5 years old). I'll be honest I got caught up with life and fell behind a bit in water changes and couple of my adult discus have not been eating in past few weeks and standing in the back of the tank. I lost 2 in past couple of weeks. :( The others from the pack seem to be doing better but still acting sluggish.
I noticed from the one that died that it had poped eyes with fluid ball around eyes. I assumed it was internal bacterial infection so I treated with Kanaplex for past couple days. It's still early but I can't say they have shown a huge signs on improvements. Today I noticed white stringy poop hanging from couple of them and at the bottom of that tank also. Now the poop seem to be white, long, segmented and a bit clear/cloudy color (not solid white). Any advise on what my next move should be? I'm not sure if this could be HEX or not?

Thanks

I was thinking of using Kanamycin (Kanaplex) with Metro TOGETHER? Is that safe to do?

Akili
03-01-2017, 03:21 PM
Hi Farzad, please go to the Emergency Room and fill out this.................... http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

farzadkavari
03-01-2017, 03:33 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? The few fish standing in the back of the tank tilted, and not eating. Got behind in water changes a bit but other than that nothing unusual.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds). Rotting fins, one had poping eye filled with fluid and died. The other one stopped eating and got really dark and died as well. White/cloudy stringy poop, It's fair to say more cloudy/clear poop than solid white, some discus are darker than others, some look normal. Over all all 8 acting sluggish and lil appetite.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment. I am currenly giving them Kanaplex (Day 2).

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish. 90 gallon, 5 years old. 8 Adult discus.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). Once or twice a week. 50%

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? Over 6 years. Sand bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing. No aging water.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __82___

- ph ___6.5__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix. Tap water

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can. I feed beef heart and black freeze dry worms.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

LJSmith
03-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Is 50% WC once or twice a week your falling behind regimen or what you regularly do?
What is your pH out of the tap and goes it swing in 24 hrs?
I would up the water changes to daily.
I'll let others chime in on the meds.

farzadkavari
03-01-2017, 03:59 PM
I do not think the issue is PH related as I've been using the same WC regime for years now with no issues till recently. My main question to speed the process towards a resolution is can I use Kanaplex with Metro TOGETHER? Is that safe to do?

warblad79
03-01-2017, 04:17 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not PH related but most likely poor husbandry. Yes, you can combine Kanaplex and metro at the same time but after treatment if the fish survive you need to be diligent with your water changes. Otherwise all of this are nothing

alron2
03-01-2017, 04:17 PM
From Angel Plus web site https://www.angelsplus.com/MedsAntibiotic.htm

Use for systemic infections (septicemia), dropsy, whirling disease, kidney disease.

Dose at 1/2 tsp per 10 gallons. Re-treat every 48 hours for 10 days. Do a minimum 25% water change before each retreatment. Kanamycin Sulfate is one of the only antibiotics that is easily absorbed through the skin, so is frequently used for internal problems. It's an aminoglycoside that works on many gram negative and some gram positive bacteria. Especially good for aerobic gram negative bacteria like columnaris. It works well in saltwater and higher pH. Combines well with Nitrofurazone or Bifuran. Some prefer to make an ultra broad spectrum treatment for bacteria, by combining Kanamycin Sulfate, Bifuran and Metronidazole.

farzadkavari
03-01-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not PH related but most likely poor husbandry. Yes, you can combine Kanaplex and metro at the same time but after treatment if the fish survive you need to be diligent with your water changes. Otherwise all of this are nothing

Understood, I'm more interested in an actual solution more than a lecture.. I clearly mentioned I got behind in water changes and take responsibility for it and will do better going forward.. Any advise on how the mix would work best? Like lower temps or higher?

warblad79
03-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Understood, I'm more interested in an actual solution more than a lecture.. I clearly mentioned I got behind in water changes and take responsibility for it and will do better going forward.. Any advise on how the mix would work best? Like lower temps or higher?

Just follow the direction printed at the back, set it to 84 is fine.

farzadkavari
03-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Just follow the direction printed at the back, set it to 84 is fine.

Ok will do the combo deal. Lets see how that goes. Thanks!

Tracy.jane68.tj
05-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Hi I also need help and advice for sick discus but don't know how or where to post a thread