PDA

View Full Version : Discus quality??

Arhm
03-02-2017, 06:02 AM
Hi guys

I received these pics of some discus for sale in my area and would like to know the quality of these fish before investing any money into getting them. I must say im abit hesitant. Any critics around? 1. 107688 2. 107689 3.107690 4.107691

RogueDiscus
03-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Hi Rahim,
The pics give very little information to go on. At best one might be able to say the shape is OK, round enough, not pointed, on some of the fish for that size. The third pic looks to be crosses between pigeon blood and non PB, with peppering showing that many folks avoid. Without seeing them in a tank it's hard to say more. Do you know who raised them, what conditions they were kept in? Do you know the reputation of the seller? Depending on your experience, growing out small discus can be challenging, requiring frequent water changes to maintain good conditions for growth.

jmf3460
03-02-2017, 11:08 AM
look good to me.

Arhm
03-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Yeah i know its not much to go on. I havent went to see them myself but i may go abit later. Unfortunately the problem with buying locally its always a chance one needs to take because the history of the fish is never available. My water changes are on point everyday but i dont want to fix problems. So i guess im picky

Clawhammer
03-02-2017, 02:25 PM
I think they will do well if given proper care. Shapes, colors, and eye size seem about right for that size.

warblad79
03-02-2017, 02:30 PM
I would look somewhere else, eyes little large to me. 2nd pics on the top left is not looking good.

Lido
03-02-2017, 06:53 PM
the last pic seems to have the best quality fish. The first pic the fish look a little dark and stressed out, the second set of fish have pretty heavy peppering.

I'm not going to say "don't buy them" because you have your own free will. I would say you want to see them swim around, eat and all of that good stuff before you buy them.

I don't see any obvious deformities, but that doesn't mean much. I would highly recommend getting larger fish. Those look about 1.5-2 inch which is a very difficult age to start with.

General rule of thumb is "get the largest fish you can comfortably afford"

nikond70s
03-02-2017, 08:59 PM
some looks decent and some look bad. would be easier to determine if the fish was in the tank to really see the quality. but i personally look for shape when i pick discus. shape is the most important thing i look for

DISCUS STU
03-06-2017, 04:13 PM
It's difficult to determine much from looking at fish out of water. Is it possible this is the reason they're out of water. Like the others some look ok, some not so much.

The last group seems to be alright but this may something to avoid until you can get some pictures of them in water.

discuspaul
03-08-2017, 12:04 PM
They're very small, but there's no telling what their age is - that's the critical point.
They don't look particularly good to me for the most part - so I would avoid them.
If you can learn their age, and it's more than say, 2-3 months or so, stunting would appear to be developing in some of them, given eye size and position within the head.