PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new 90g tank for Discus grow out

Superxan
03-07-2017, 05:14 AM
Hey guys, need some advice once again.

I had created a thread earlier with my community tank details and had got 5 x 3" Discus recently, all are doing well. I was planning to grow them out in the same tank until a few months atleast. However, due to circumstances a friend of mine who got 3 x 3" Discus along with me had to give them away as he was relocating permanently. So, I picked them up and added to my current tank. Now, they look quite crowded in my present tank and I decided to wait no longer, so I'm picking up a new 90g tank today.

Please suggest the best way to go about splitting my fishes and growing my Discus successfully, as this is my primary goal.

Current tank details:
Capacity:40 gallons (165 litres)
Filtration: Canister filter (1400 litres per hour)
Substrate: White sand, no plants & has a few pieces of Driftwood
Current stock: 4 x German Blue Ram, 4 x Golden Balloon Ram, 4 x Electric Blue Ram, 4x Endlers, 2 x 1.5" Albino Bristlenose Pleco, 6 x 1.5" Sterbai Corydoras, 8 x 3" Discus
Feeding: 4-5 times a day
WC regimen: Daily or alternate day - 60 to 75% WC

New tank details:
Capacity:90 gallons (340 litres) curved glass tank
Filtration: Top filter & submersible power filter
Substrate: None - Barebottom

Q: Should I move all the Discus to the new tank after it is cycled (any extra care that needs to be taken while moving them)?
Q: Do I need to add any additional sponge filters (as I will not be using the power filter for Discus)?
Q: Can I stick to the same WC regimen with this tank?
Q: Do I need to add any other tank mates for Discus in the new tank?
Q: How many more Discus of similar size can I add to the new tank?

Any other advice or suggestion most appreciated, thanks !