PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Week - A Few Questions

Nate4e
03-12-2017, 11:03 AM
I've actually been pretty concerned about the health of my fish this week--Monday I lost power for more than 12 hours and my tank temp dropped from 82 down to 72. I guess the temp swing didn't stress them out too much, because two of my discus paired and laid eggs. These are from Kenny's Feb shipment and have only been in the tank for 3 weeks. I'm pretty happy knowing that they're comfortable in the tank, but this brings up a few questions...

The eggs were laid in the top half of the tank, and I usually change ~50 gallons of water in my 90 gallon tank weekly. I won't be able to drain the tank much without exposing the eggs. Do you think I should just do a few smaller water changes, or just wait until they hatch???

This is a community tank--there are 8 neon tetras, 3 rams, 2 bristlenose, and a cory in it. I'm guessing if these even hatch, that they probably don't have much of a chance of survival. I do not want to setup a seperate tank, but I'd also like to see what the offsring of these two buitiful fish would look like. Is there any recommendations on anything I could do to up the chances of survival???

RogueDiscus
03-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Nice fish. I have let eggs be exposed during the brief time they are uncovered during a water change, and still had them hatch. I think you're right, though, about the low probability of the fry surviving long in the community tank. It might be interesting to see if they actually hatch and confirm you have a pair. After that they'll probably just disappear one day or overnight. You'd have to raise them for several months at least to "see" what they might turn out like. If the solid yellow is pigeon based, the fry might be decent.