PDA

View Full Version : sunsun filters

matt2426
04-02-2017, 12:39 PM
I'm debating on buying a sunsun canister filter any of you use them would any of you recommend getting it I know there cheap I'm considering getting 2 sunsun filters I believe the flow rate is around 530 an hr the biggest model they have for my 125 gallon or do you guys think I should just break down and pay the extra for the fluval fx6 thanks

Kyla
04-02-2017, 03:20 PM
ive never used sunsun, but have heard good things about them from ppl who use them. i have used fx5s and i can say i love them, im currently running a single fx5 on my 180gal tank now. they are big and heavy but i would never go back to smaller fluvals or my api filstars (although i really liked the api for smaller tanks). just make sure if u go with fx6 u get a small length of hose to attach to the bottom drain so u can empty it most of the way before moving it.

cjvdhx
04-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Pay the extra money and get a Fluval. Some people swear by those Sun Sun's and I am glad there working for them however IMO they are hit or miss!

Neptune
04-02-2017, 09:16 PM
I have not had any problems with them, My son and I both use them.

Clawhammer
04-02-2017, 09:54 PM
I think the SunSun 704b is the best value filter on the market @ $100 delivered on Amazon, although I have never owned a FX6 in order to weigh the cost vs benefits of one over the other. Either 2 x SunSun 704b or the FX6 would do a fine job on a 125 gallon.

matt2426
04-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Or what do you guys think would be better have two canister filters like rena xp the extra large ones or one fluval fx6 I know rena seems to be a little more trustworthy than than sunsun just kind of thinking that two filters would be better than one huge filter so I can have one on each side I believe the flow rate on the renas are 460 an hour or so two of them would equal an fx6 hard decision deciding what to do for filtration

cjvdhx
04-03-2017, 07:27 PM
Or what do you guys think would be better have two canister filters like rena xp the extra large ones or one fluval fx6 I know rena seems to be a little more trustworthy than than sunsun just kind of thinking that two filters would be better than one huge filter so I can have one on each side I believe the flow rate on the renas are 460 an hour or so two of them would equal an fx6 hard decision deciding what to do for filtration
I'd get an FX6 and don't look back. Also you can add a few circulation pumps to even out any dead spots which I doubt you'll have anyways being the fx6 has a dual output nozzles.

Kyla
04-03-2017, 07:46 PM
i was running two large renas before i switched to the fx5. i prefer the single larger filter.

matt2426
04-03-2017, 07:47 PM
I'd get an FX6 and don't look back. Also you can add a few circulation pumps to even out any dead spots which I doubt you'll have anyways being the fx6 has a dual output nozzles.

Ok thanks Ive read a lot of people use a lot of filtration I'm sure one fx6 is more than enough but ive been reading people use enough filtration to filter there tank 10 plus times per hour its probally not really necessary I wouldn't think

gluedandscrewed
04-04-2017, 07:34 AM
bought a 4 stage sunsun a month ago and could not be happier with it, the quick disconnect on the filter cannot be beat

Yom
04-04-2017, 08:43 AM
BEWARE!!!!!All of you SunSun users....after years of using SunSun and fighting with backflow leaks I have replaced all my SunSuns (8 total) with Marineland. I ran the 402B model, the 303B model, and the 304B models and was happy until one by one they started to leak whenever power was lost or turned off. The last straw was when a 304B backflow leaked and drained about 25 gallons of a 265 gallon tank all over my finished basement floor, luckily my daughter found it before it drained the whole way down to the tubes breaking the suction. I have replaced head unit(pump) orings, the inlet and outlet tube orings and loosened the screws under the clamp flaps that hold the motor to the top; all to no avail. I have researched and have read that the impeller shaft can wear through the plastic too. I too purchased them because they where cheap and cheap they are, pay the extra for a name brand filter in my opinion. I have learned my lessons!

gluedandscrewed
04-04-2017, 09:16 AM
there are correct and incorrect ways of installing "O" rings

Clawhammer
04-04-2017, 09:22 AM
BEWARE!!!!!All of you SunSun users....after years of using SunSun and fighting with backflow leaks I have replaced all my SunSuns (8 total) with Marineland. I ran the 402B model, the 303B model, and the 304B models and was happy until one by one they started to leak whenever power was lost or turned off. The last straw was when a 304B backflow leaked and drained about 25 gallons of a 265 gallon tank all over my finished basement floor, luckily my daughter found it before it drained the whole way down to the tubes breaking the suction. I have replaced head unit(pump) orings, the inlet and outlet tube orings and loosened the screws under the clamp flaps that hold the motor to the top; all to no avail. I have researched and have read that the impeller shaft can wear through the plastic too. I too purchased them because they where cheap and cheap they are, pay the extra for a name brand filter in my opinion. I have learned my lessons!

I could tell the same tale about the two Fluval 306's I have owned. The key is a finely lubed o-ring.

Dam777
04-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Not experienced with the SunSun but I have had major leaking issues w/Fluval 306's and decided to pay the extra and go w/Eheim.....worth every dollar! Got 2 of the 350 Pro4+, highly recommended.

gluedandscrewed
04-04-2017, 10:14 AM
lube is a must,,, and the most common error people make is to roll the O ring on and twist it

SWOrange
04-06-2017, 12:16 PM
I run a SunSun 304B, happy with it. Runs quietly, no issues in a little over a year so far.

Filip
04-07-2017, 09:16 AM
I run sunsun model 304A canister with 4 trays and 500gph flow rate ( 200-250 real measured Gph flow after installation in the cabinet ) for 1 year and im satisfied with it .
I've paid only 70 $ for it , and IMO ,nothing can beat that price .
Only thing to be aware of IME are the dirt cheap and thin PVC parts / screws and rings that can break easily if force is used during handling.

atlantadiscus
04-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Tell us how they hold up in 5,10,15 years.I know the Eheim Classic series holds up over those timeframes,and replacement parts are available if needed.SUNSUN may be cheaper upfront,but will it last longterm is the real question.It provides little value if you are replacing it every few years.

cjvdhx
04-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Tell us how they hold up in 5,10,15 years.I know the Eheim Classic series holds up over those timeframes,and replacement parts are available if needed.SUNSUN may be cheaper upfront,but will it last longterm is the real question.It provides little value if you are replacing it every few years.
I agree! It's good to hear though that people are having good luck with them and it's not leaking all over your floor.

Clawhammer
04-07-2017, 07:51 PM
SunSun is likely the OEM manufacturer for any name brand filter that says "Made in China".

gluedandscrewed
04-08-2017, 05:40 AM
SunSun is likely the OEM manufacturer for any name brand filter that says "Made in China".true,, i see the very same filters sold under several U.S names