PDA

View Full Version : Worm found

Mark N
04-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Anyone know what this worm is? It appeared in one of my small pleco grow out tanks.
Are they harmful??
It may have come in with a plant. But not positive.

Kyla
04-04-2017, 11:49 AM
can u get a close pic? or a video of how it moves? eg does it move like this:

https://youtu.be/w0QzSYQGsnA

Mark N
04-04-2017, 06:44 PM
No definitely not that.
It is thin at one end and larger at the other. It stuck on the glass with one end, some type of sucker. However it used both ends to travel across the glass. But not the hole body. It is more round in shape. Short when at rest , less than a half inch. An inch or more when extending.
I have a plant in the tank I purchased about a month ago. I recently found five small fry that must have been in the plant as eggs. No idea what they are yet. My guess is this worm came in with it. More of a concern is what it is and is it harmful? I did remove it and put it in a container until I know what it is.
https://youtu.be/eJLiWYnAVns

Disgirl
04-04-2017, 06:55 PM
That is a leech. Kill it and any others you see. It may be the only one.

Mark N
04-04-2017, 07:00 PM
I have never personally seen one this small.
How would I treat a tank or fish that possibly may have more?

Disgirl
04-04-2017, 07:09 PM
There are lots of different leeches. Many sizes. This is a young one or a small variety. Just look for more and eliminate them. They will live in gravel so good thing you have none. You will see them on the bare glass., if there are more, and just net them out and kill them. I once got a used tank that had had lots of these things, and the gravel and tank bottom was full of them and their eggs. No gravel or sand until you make sure you have no more. Salt in the water would kill them,but not good for your fish, so just look for them and kill them. You really may not find any more, this was on the plants. Don't worry, you will not have them long.

Mark N
04-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Thank you. Good to know ��

Neptune
04-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Its a leech. Leeches grow like anything else and can be found from pin size to BIG. I buy them that size to use for fishing.
I've seen them swimming in open water up to a foot long!

FYI, they suck

Kyla
04-04-2017, 10:19 PM
oh yah, its for sure a leech! i once caught a momma leech that had a hundred tiny baby leeches wrapped up in a tight ball on her stomach. i put her in a jar and when she let them go they covered the sides of the jar.