PDA

View Full Version : impulse buy

ttan02
04-04-2017, 01:34 PM
I bought 3 small discus (1X2inch, 2X3inches) at a local fish club auction on impulse. I've kept discus in the 90's with some success (BB125 gal with daily 50% water changes). I was fortunate enough to get a pair to spawn and raised some fry. I didn't get to inspect these fish before buying as I didn't see them on the auction table. After I got home I noticed one had an incomplete gill cover, and all three may possibly be stunted. I placed them in quarantine in a 12 gal nanocube. Temp is 88. I don't know what they had been fed previously but they don't appear to have pinched heads. They're picking at frozen bloodworks, Discus pellets and frozen beefheart (bought commercially as I didn't want to prepare a homemade mix right now).
Should I try live blackworms to induce feedig?
I'm planning on buying some F1s also, Is it OK to allow the one with the incomplete gill cover to pair off if it should get that far?
Will having a more varied gene pool of the F-1s compensate for the inbred line?
Does white feces indicate a parasitic infection? If so, what do you recomend for medication?
How long can I keep them in the nanocube?

Thanks in advance.

brewmaster15
04-04-2017, 02:03 PM
Hello and Welcome!

Can you post some pics? It would help answer your questions.

thanks,
al

ttan02
04-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Thanks Al, I'm not that technologically advanced. Will try when I get home. Maybe the kids can help.

William1
04-04-2017, 05:34 PM
No, the deadly impulse buy. Good luck.

Kyla
04-04-2017, 06:42 PM
an impulse buy introduced me to discus! no regrets!

Neptune
04-04-2017, 07:57 PM
an impulse buy introduced me to discus! no regrets!

Me too! Steep learning curve for me! The OP has previous experience.
I'm not going to comment on the gill cover or disease as I'm a rookie,
But in terms of feeding them, try everything better yet, can you contact the seller and ask what they were feeding?

DISCUS STU
04-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Sounds like a pig in a poke situation but the white poo normally indicates internal parasites that are usually treated with metronidazole but you may want to apply Prazipro (Praziquantel) for gill flukes and intestinal parasites, mostly flat worms, as you seem to have a few issues going on here.

I wouldn't worry about future mating situations right now. Pictures when you can send them would help. Good luck!