PDA

View Full Version : Planted Tank But No Co2 Now - How to get started?

DISCUS STU
04-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Hi All,

I'd like to add Co2 to my planted tank 55 gal. and would like some advice on where to buy a good system, dosing, plant recommendations, etc.

My current setup is,

a. 55 gal. with natural river sand
b. Radican Swords
c. 6 full grown discus
d. 82 temp.
e. Lighting is single flourescent (3100 k.)

Running Eheims with one air stone.

Any advice would be appreciated. My Radicans grow well but could do better and recent additions of Valisnaria which had done well in the past only died out, possibly because the Swords were consuming their Co2, nutrients, etc?

Thanks,

Stu

Ryan925
04-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Hi All,

I'd like to add Co2 to my planted tank 55 gal. and would like some advice on where to buy a good system, dosing, plant recommendations, etc.

My current setup is,

a. 55 gal. with natural river sand
b. Radican Swords
c. 6 full grown discus
d. 82 temp.
e. Lighting is single flourescent (3100 k.)

Running Eheims with one air stone.

Any advice would be appreciated. My Radicans grow well but could do better and recent additions of Valisnaria which had done well in the past only died out, possibly because the Swords were consuming their Co2, nutrients, etc?

Thanks,

Stu

I ordered my solenoid regulator from Dr fosters and Smith. Works great.

I really like the products from green leaf. I have their pps pro fertilizers and also their reactor and drop checker and bubble counter.

Co2 really is pretty simple. Don't know why some make it seem so complicated.

I just have mine on a timer comes on an hour before lights and off an hour before lights off.

Davidzil
04-20-2017, 10:05 PM
Why not ask the experts on the planted forum, if not recommend speaking to the guys at http://greenleafaquariums.com

There is also the new style regulators http://aquatek-california.com/

bluelagoon
04-21-2017, 09:01 AM
You will need more lighting if you use CO2.If that is Americain or jungle valisnaria,it doesn't like the extra CO2 and might molt,from experience.

rickztahone
04-21-2017, 11:34 AM
go with a 2 stage regulator if you want reliability. I bought Concoa because it is well regarded and it never let me down. You can buy post body parts from a lot of places for way cheaper than you would with fully built kits. It isn't that difficult to put everything together either.

Neptune
04-23-2017, 06:33 PM
go with a 2 stage regulator if you want reliability. I bought Concoa because it is well regarded and it never let me down. You can buy post body parts from a lot of places for way cheaper than you would with fully built kits. It isn't that difficult to put everything together either.

That is what I have, if you are patient you kind find them on Ebay or Craigslist for a good price.

fishermn7
04-24-2017, 04:54 AM
if you only have radican swords im not sure co2 is actually necessary, good root tabs will suffice, I would suggest you get your lighting into the 6500 k range