PDA

View Full Version : Hello! New here

CoasterCyrus
04-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Hi all.

My name is Cyrus and I've been lurking for quite a while and joined a bit ago and have just not posted before. I have a 60 gallon tank with a fluval 306 canister. I have a sponge pre-filter on the intake and a spray bar on the output. I used eco-complete for substrate as I don't prefer the look of bare bottom. White background. I have two discus to start and a couple angelfish. Will be planting during an upcoming water change so they have some hiding places. Will also be adding driftwood to the tank.
I'm giving all this information in hopes for some feedback. I do hope it all sounds good.
I purchased my discus from a well known local store that breeds discus called Wet Pets in Washington, PA. Really great and knowledgeable staff and fantastic quality fish.

DatDiscusDude
04-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Welcome!

Are your discus a pair?

Most here will tell you that discus do better in groups and 2 discus alone that aren't a pair could fight or have aggression issues. How big are they?

CoasterCyrus
04-21-2017, 01:31 PM
I will be getting more next week. They are only about 3.5" maybe 4"

DatDiscusDude
04-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Any plans to quarantine the new fish?

Neptune
04-21-2017, 02:55 PM
I'll comment on just the substrate....
it is dark colored which causes your fish to darken. It will not show off their best colors.
Eco-complete is very angular and will trap a lot of debris making it difficult to do a good cleaning.

You will spend a lot of money on the substrate and at some point decide you want to remove the substrate because it is not really the best for discus...been there done that!
Start right and use a light colored sand if you have to have a substrate.

CoasterCyrus
04-22-2017, 01:35 AM
Could I do a light color over the eco-complete?

gluedandscrewed
04-22-2017, 07:09 AM
I have an 1-1/12 inches of white sand in my discus tank,,its sold as "national geographic" in some stores and other names elsewhere,,it makes cleaning the bottom extremely easy,, makes every speck of waste or food easily seen and siphoned off,,once a week or so i siphon about a 1/4 inch of the top, wash it and replace it with ease,,, tried the sand over gravel in my 75 planted tank and am about to get rid of the gravel,,the sand sinks into and mixes with the gravel making it next to impossible to clean the bottom,,, the gravel just gets sucked into and plugs the hose, so one vote for the sand!!!!

bluelagoon
04-22-2017, 09:18 AM

No,because you'll need to clean the substrate.I would clean it all and not just the top half.Washing it and replacing is not a good idea as previously mentioned.

Neptune
04-22-2017, 10:31 AM

No doesn't work, the finer sand sifts into the nooks and crannies and you get a real mess.
The de facto substrate for discus if pool filter sand. Cheap, forms a good cap to keep the detritus on top, easy to clean.

CoasterCyrus
04-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Alright. I'm appreciating all of this feedback. What's the easiest way for me to get rid of this substrate?

Ryan925
04-22-2017, 01:27 PM
I like my buddy Neptune also removed all of my eco and replaced with a small amount of sand. I went from 120# of eco to 50# white sand

I removed fish drained water and shop vac'd it all out

Really wasn't as bad as I thought

Neptune
04-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Alright. I'm appreciating all of this feedback. What's the easiest way for me to get rid of this substrate?

A large diameter hose and siphon will do it as well.

CoasterCyrus
04-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Ok, so I'm thinking that on Monday I will take care of this by doing a 75% water change. While the water is drained I will scoop out the eco substrate with dust a dust pan and then siphon out whatever is remaining that I can't get with the dust pan.
I am using RODI water with Discus Trace. I am doing this due to the pH levels that come out of my water. They are too high for Discus so the RODI gives me neutral.

I am including a picture and video of the tank.

https://youtu.be/MaZyV6I6w0w

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/aibocyrus/IMG_0006_1.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/aibocyrus/media/IMG_0006_1.jpg.html)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/aibocyrus/IMG_0005_1.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/aibocyrus/media/IMG_0005_1.jpg.html)

Second Hand Pat
04-22-2017, 07:14 PM
Hi Cyrus, best to remove the fish to a bucket with an airstone while you remove the gravel. You may be surprised at the amount of gunk in the gravel. What is your ph?
Pat

CoasterCyrus
04-23-2017, 12:25 AM
Hi Pat!
pH is at 7.4 currently but lowering with every water change.
I cycled the tank with declorinated tap and have since moved over to an RODI.
I will remove the fish for gravel removal. I just need to wait until Monday when I'm not workin so I can take the time to do it

Kyla
04-23-2017, 10:18 AM
what is the ph of ur tap water straight out of the tap?

Neptune
04-23-2017, 10:48 AM
what is the ph of ur tap water straight out of the tap?

yes, check your tap and then let a sample of tap water sit for 24 hours and check the pH of that.
Most will tell you, pH is not so important as long as it is stable.

My pH is about 8.1 out of the tap and I just do 2/3 tap and 1/3 RO aged in a barrel and then right into the tank.

The important thing is what is the change between right out of the tap and letting it sit for 24hrs. There is often a big swing between the two and that will cause problems with every water change; your pH will keep bouncing if there is a big difference and you don't age.
Breeding is more of a big deal with pH than a show tank.

Keep things as simple as possible. If you have to mess with RO and remineralizing, etc .it complicates and makes things more of a chore....and if you are like me the more of a hassle the more I don't want to do it. Then your fish start to suffer.

CoasterCyrus
04-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Straight out of the tap my pH is 7.6.

Neptune
04-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Straight out of the tap my pH is 7.6.

Take a sample and let it sit for 24hrs, or aerate for 12 hrs and check it. If it doesn't swing much you are golden!
I'd die for that pH out of the tap!

CoasterCyrus
04-23-2017, 05:07 PM
It actually stays the same! It's nice and balanced. I just want to get it slowly lowered with water changes to neutral at least.

Second Hand Pat
04-23-2017, 05:28 PM
It actually stays the same! It's nice and balanced. I just want to get it slowly lowered with water changes to neutral at least.

Why? Your pH is perfect. :)
Pat

Neptune
04-23-2017, 05:29 PM

With all due respect, unless you are going to breed, why bother?

CoasterCyrus
04-23-2017, 08:26 PM
No disrespect taken. Alright. I will just leave it then.
It'll be nice to get that substrate out tomorrow

Kyla
04-23-2017, 11:08 PM
way back in the day ppl used to try to provide soft, acidic water for "delicate" discus fish, but these fish can thrive in higher ph and tampering with ph can be tricky so if u dont need to do it thats great news. ur ph is perfect for discus!

CoasterCyrus
04-24-2017, 10:54 AM
I have pulled out the substrate. There is of course some left over debris that I couldn't quite siphon out or get with the dust pan and sweeper I used(new and clean), but it looks nice and clean for the most part. I have got to get some plants in there or some driftwood.

Kyla
04-24-2017, 01:33 PM
i missed whether u r leaving it BB for now? i love BB tanks with driftwood, best for efficient cleaning and still nice decor for discus to play around in

CoasterCyrus
04-24-2017, 03:34 PM
I will probably leave it BB. So it's been about 4 days now and my discus have yet to eat. They don't have clamped fins but they like to stay in one spot. It's making me nervous. All water tests have come back just fine.

CoasterCyrus
05-02-2017, 12:04 PM
I have another question. I want to add some more already established bacteria to my tank...

Can I take some media out of my fancy goldfish canister filter and place it in the canister filter I'm using for my discus?

Ryan925
05-02-2017, 12:12 PM
I have another question. I want to add some more already established bacteria to my tank...

Can I take some media out of my fancy goldfish canister filter and place it in the canister filter I'm using for my discus?

I wouldn't. Risk of cross contamination is too high. You can try something like seachem stability. I've had good results with that

CoasterCyrus
05-04-2017, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't. Risk of cross contamination is too high. You can try something like seachem stability. I've had good results with that

Appreciate the response. I will head your warning. Thanks!

Kyla
05-05-2017, 09:54 AM
are they eating yet?

CoasterCyrus
05-05-2017, 11:56 AM
I think they must be. They just won't eat in front of me. I've poked my head around the corner and caught them picking at the food. I ordered freezdried black worms to attempt to get them to eat more aggressively. They haven't arrived yet but I will definitely keep you all posted.

CoasterCyrus
05-06-2017, 03:11 PM
I've officially watched all four of them eat. Thanks everyone for all of your help!