PDA

View Full Version : overflow and sump set up

kimberly
05-07-2017, 04:04 PM
I am brand new to the idea.

I have been taking care of discus for over 10 years with the HOB filtration.

What do you think about an overflow and sump? I tried googling the idea I ordered already, but I don't see anyone with it.

farebox
05-07-2017, 05:13 PM
May I ask what did you ordered so we all can assist you with your sump/overflow.

kimberly
05-08-2017, 02:26 PM
I ordered a Deep Blue 75 gallon rimless tank with an overflow.

A 48 inch long stand from (I will get back to you).

I forgot the name of the light. I know that it is an aquarium light that will be easily mounted on.

I am planning on doing a DYI filtration and sump under the tank... any suggestions on what to buy will be greatly appreciated.

rickztahone
05-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Do you have a link to the exact tank you got?

MarkGSmith
05-08-2017, 03:34 PM
I'm guessing its this:
The main advantage for sumps with freshwater is massive space for biological media. You don't really need baffles and other gizmos in the sump, just some foam protection for the return pump. (stop it sucking any media in, going kapput and giving you a bad day.) KISS but you have the option to be a bit more scientific if you want! It says it has a prefilter with it so thats good. I would try to get/make a sump that has an overflow plumbed to a drain if possible, makes life so much easier.

Neptune
05-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Is this the one?
http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/edge.html

It says it comes with a plumbing kit, so probably all the bulkheads, etc, will be in there.
All you should need is pipe, a valve or valves(depends on how you want to do it), some unions and fittings-that will get you to your sump.

I would wait until the tank arrives before buying plumbing so you know what size to get.
But in the mean time, if you know the inside dimensions of your stand, you can get an aquarium to go under there and start building your sump.

kimberly
05-09-2017, 02:10 PM
I'm guessing its this:
The main advantage for sumps with freshwater is massive space for biological media. You don't really need baffles and other gizmos in the sump, just some foam protection for the return pump. (stop it sucking any media in, going kapput and giving you a bad day.) KISS but you have the option to be a bit more scientific if you want! It says it has a prefilter with it so thats good. I would try to get/make a sump that has an overflow plumbed to a drain if possible, makes life so much easier.

DO you think you can send me some videos on what an overflow drain would look like?

kimberly
05-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Do you have a link to the exact tank you got?

Fresh Water Fish Tank for my Discus

75 gallon Deep Blue Edge Rimless Clear all around 48x18x20

Stand is an R&J Black Empire

Light - Fin Nex 48 inch planted plus

Ryan925
05-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Fresh Water Fish Tank for my Discus

75 gallon Deep Blue Edge Rimless Clear all around 48x18x20

Stand is an R&J Black Empire

Light - Fin Nex 48 inch planted plus

Is this going to be a planted tank?

kimberly
05-09-2017, 07:35 PM
yes, I am planting about 10 plants.

Ryan925
05-09-2017, 07:39 PM
yes, I am planting about 10 plants.

Gotcha. Was just curious about the planted plus. It could be a lot of light depending on your plants so there will be a learning curve there of your photo period