PDA

View Full Version : Water temperature drop during water change

Brink
05-16-2017, 02:54 AM
Hello everyone

I am new to your forum.

I've recently started keeping fish, discus being my first warm water fish.

I have 7 discus (young) and 3 german blue rams (also young) in a 450 liter tank with two 300w heaters.

I keep the temperature at 29c.

When I do water changes (50% daily), the water drops from about 29c to about 27.5c in about 10 minutes.

Is that too much of a change for them? Will it stress them out or negatively affect their health?

Thank you in advance

Keith Perkins
05-16-2017, 07:36 AM
That small temperature change won't bother a healthy discus at all. That type of temperature change is sometimes used to induce spawning, so how bad could they possibly feel. :D

Larry Bugg
05-16-2017, 07:38 AM
That small temperature change won't bother a healthy discus at all. That type of temperature change is sometimes used to induce spawning, so how bad could they possibly feel. :D

+1 I While I do heat my stored water, I don't worry about that kind of temp change. As long as the discus are healthy it shouldn't affect them, IMO.

Filip
05-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Hi Brink and welcome to the forum .
I agree with others that small temp. changes up to 2 C degrees shouldn't hurt discus .
With that said I my self always try to match the temps. during WCs .
I'm curious though , why you need to change 1.5 C lower temp. ? Do you age your water or you change straight tap ?
We would like to see more info and photos of your tank and discus here in near future .

Brink
05-17-2017, 06:35 AM
Hello Keith, Filip and Larry.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Now I can do water changes without worrying about the fish.

I live on the side of a mountain and have access to a stream of mountain spring water. This water is connected to the house, so I just fill up my tanks straight from the tap. The pH is 8.3.

I will eventually post some pictures.

Ryan925
05-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Hello Keith, Filip and Larry.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Now I can do water changes without worrying about the fish.

I live on the side of a mountain and have access to a stream of mountain spring water. This water is connected to the house, so I just fill up my tanks straight from the tap. The pH is 8.3.

I will eventually post some pictures.

Very lucky having a nice feed of mountain spring water.

alron2
05-18-2017, 04:48 PM
So what is the PH of your aquarium water before a water change?
Thanks
Ron

Filip
05-26-2017, 04:39 AM
So what is the PH of your aquarium water before a water change?
Thanks
Ron

Water with PH 8.3 is usually so hard and stuffed with buffers (+15 dKh) that I doubt any change in pH can occur between two WCs, even with a big bioload in the tank .