PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Discus to uncycled tank

mougliblore
05-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Hi,

I have a 70 gallon tank which is sitting idle for a few months now and one of my fellow hobbyist has a few 1 inch discus from his breeding pair which he wants to get rid of and I agreed to take 6 if them.

My question is, How can I introduce them to a another 30 gallon uncycled tank till I cycle my 70 gallon tank?

1. Will I get away by doing daily 100% water changes or even twice every day?
2. I have some seachem purigen left over. Can I use them on a HOB filter and control ammonia/Nitrites and nitrates?
3. Are there any other additives that I can use to keep the ammonia in check?

Kindly advise if I can manage to keep these babies healthy till my display tank gets cycled.

discuspaul
05-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Your # 1. should work just fine - just don't neglect the large daily wcs.

gluedandscrewed
05-24-2017, 09:44 AM
just put in 5 quarter sized fry in a 20 gal bare tank to grow out, has one air stone. HOB filter that only filters particulates...take out a bucket of water in the morning ( 3 gallons), feed them all day, leaving whatever uneaten food on the bottom till siphoning it clean at night( another 3 gallons).. grew out 10 fry 4 months ago without any problems.they get crushed flakes, shaved beefheart and shaved bloodworms

mougliblore
05-25-2017, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the responses.. Appreciate it.

Regards..

Kyla
05-25-2017, 07:09 AM
i would do more than 6gal wc a day, the 100% wc sounds better, esp since the tank has no BB and u will prob be feeding heavy.

Second Hand Pat
05-25-2017, 07:59 AM
I would also do larger water changes. At one inch discus fry are about a month old and are very delicate. So they are very susceptible to any measurable amounts of ammonia and nitrites. Beside water changes you can use a de-clhorinator to detox the ammonia between water changes. I would keep them in the 30 until they are about three inches. Get 10 if you can. Discus fry do better in larger groups.
Pat

Filip
05-26-2017, 03:14 AM
I would also do larger water changes. At one inch discus fry are about a month old and are very delicate. So they are very susceptible to any measurable amounts of ammonia and nitrites. Beside water changes you can use a de-clhorinator to detox the ammonia between water changes. I would keep them in the 30 until they are about three inches. Get 10 if you can. Discus fry do better in larger groups.
Pat

+1 for bigger 100% WCs with aged water and regular leftovers siphoning and tank wall wipe downs.
Also agree with Pat on getting more than 6 for a 1 inch growout .
Except for growing better in larger groups as Pat already suggested , be prepared to have some runts and mishaps in the group along the way .
So starting with 10-12 to end up with the most favorite 6-7 discus is a usual practice in growing discus.
Good luck .