PDA

View Full Version : Will this driftwood hurt discus?

ScottW
05-27-2017, 05:15 PM
There is alot of points. Do I need to trim some branches or will the dicus be ok? The wood is manzanita.

two utes
05-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Hi Scott.
I would definitely trim back the small pointy bits, or at least round them off with a file or coarse sand paper. Keep in mind that discus do spook on occasion and will definitely collide with those pointy bits causing damage which may lead to infections.

discuspaul
05-27-2017, 06:36 PM
Hi Scott.
I would definitely trim back the small pointy bits, or at least round them off with a file or coarse sand paper. Keep in mind that discus do spook on occasion and will definitely collide with those pointy bits causing damage which may lead to infections.

Agree.

ScottW
05-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Thanks ill take some off and sand the edges.

Filip
05-29-2017, 03:40 AM
This wood looks so sharp and pointed Scott that not just discus but even you can hurt your self on it during maintenance :) .
Do try to cut and sand paper the edges .

pastry
05-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Once in awhile, yes. I'd use it though. I have worse... didn't kill any. About 2 to 3 times a year one will get scraped. So yeah, it's a risk... but IME, not a big one. I love it by the way

ConnorD
05-30-2017, 09:12 AM
Depending on whether or not your water is soft, it may lower the Ph ( and further soften the water0 by the acids released. I've experienced (I have very soft water) where adding Wood to a tank makes the PH Dip. This may be desirable (if you want to soft your water a bit and lower your PH a Bit) however if you don't have a lot of KH Buffer in your water source, it would need to be monitored ( Ive had wood cause a PH Crash once, Killed off two Juvies as a result).

I also agree with the Above, Trip any sharp Bits.

Nice piece tho.
Do you know how old it is?

ScottW
05-31-2017, 02:57 PM
Connor, I'm not sure. I bought it off manzanita-driftwood.com

pastry
05-31-2017, 07:21 PM
Depending on whether or not your water is soft, it may lower the Ph ( and further soften the water0 by the acids released. I've experienced (I have very soft water) where adding Wood to a tank makes the PH Dip. This may be desirable (if you want to soft your water a bit and lower your PH a Bit) however if you don't have a lot of KH Buffer in your water source, it would need to be monitored ( Ive had wood cause a PH Crash once, Killed off two Juvies as a result).

I also agree with the Above, Trip any sharp Bits.

Nice piece tho.
Do you know how old it is?

Totally agree on ph point. Just monitor ph over time. Not just the first month or two. But the Manz you got should be good to go. Trimming tips is a risk level decision. I'm one who'd leave it be but I think I'm a minority on that stance. It's all risk at different levels. Hell, every thing in life is... but when most think there's only two decisions, I guarantee there are more than two. Let us know your goal/intent for "Discus care-to-show tank" balance (e.g., raise big Discus in B.B. with one piece of rounded edge dw or natural scape with chance of scraping Discus once in a blue moon). Me, I'm towards the latter. My discus don't get as big and get scraped up once in awhile. See my old thread on mine for my own lessons learned if it helps.

ScottW
05-31-2017, 07:49 PM
Im planning on getting 3.5 to 4 inch discus. I'm planning on going with .5 to .75 inch white sand. Plan on using alittle plants like Amazon swords, jungle val and some anubias and christmas moss on the drift wood.

pastry
05-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Rgr. Unfamiliar with xmas moss. If it's like java moss then uphill battle with temps. All else is fine. Below link might help. Insight on one of my own experiences that might help (even failures to avoid)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98299-Growing-out-in-planted-tank&highlight=

Ryan925
05-31-2017, 08:04 PM
I don't really see it altering ph unless it is continually releasing tannins. The "over time" theory should be a non issue with the frequent water changes required.

I soak my manzanita prior to adding to tank. Doing so will allow the tannins to be released as well as get the wood to sink when you put it in the tank

woopaul5
06-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Most likely won't get a ph change at all with manzanita. Had 0 issues with the stuff. I would pre soak it as well it will release a little tannins and make the water slightly murky. It's not quite like bogwoods or or Malaysian driftwood where it turns water to a dark tea color.

Ryan925
06-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Most likely won't get a ph change at all with manzanita. Had 0 issues with the stuff. I would pre soak it as well it will release a little tannins and make the water slightly murky. It's not quite like bogwoods or or Malaysian driftwood where it turns water to a dark tea color.

+1. Same experience here