PDA

View Full Version : Return to the life

karpomatic
06-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Last October, I picked up a 125 gallon setup with corner overflows that was originally used for a reef. It came with a 44 gallon sump, complicated T5 lights set up on separate ballasts with LED moon lights. The tank is a little scratched up but I got all this for $500. I knew I was moving in the near future so the tank is not getting set up until now. I decided to use it for discus and select plecos. I've gotten a ton of help and advice from this forum and I'd like to thank everyone who put their 2 cents in. You may have seen these photos before from my thread asking for advice. Thanks in advance for reading and commenting on this journal.

karpomatic
06-07-2017, 10:43 AM
The first thing I did after moving was ditch the T5 light setup. They throw off a ton of heat, are expensive to replace, and not needed for freshwater. Also, it was very grimy and salted over from use. I opted for 2 72" DA FSPEC LED 0.50W units from Beamswork. I don't plan on growing live plants in the tank but I bought the lights meant for plants just in case I change my mind in the future. So I cut out the old setup, leaving the fans in place for ascetics.

Old setup

Removed

New setup

Daytime lights

Nighttime lights

karpomatic
06-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Next is the sump itself. I received a lot of help on this from these very forums

When the original owner custom built it himself.

When I received it

After scrubbing as best I could, I patched the holes that were originally used for the protein skimmer since I won't need them. I then let the silicone cure for three days. This photo shows how I filled it and used the pump to run it in a loop for about 2 hours while checking for leaks.

The sump has been placed in the cabinet. I purchased a pair of All Glass corner overflow accessory kits a few months back. I picked up all the tubing and fittings to hook it all up last night at Home Depot. I also have to install the jack pole in the basement for floor support. I'm not taking any chances with this much weight on my floor. I hope to have it running by Sunday!

karpomatic
06-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Added white sand and a little decoration.

karpomatic
06-12-2017, 12:16 PM
My 500 gph pump wasn't moving the water as much as I liked so I got an upgrade. 2377 gph max should work a bit better.

Phillydubs
06-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Coming along nicely! What other decor do you plan to add if any?

karpomatic
06-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Coming along nicely! What other decor do you plan to add if any?

I plan on a nice chunk of drift wood and maybe one other hiding place for some interesting plecos. I want to have at least one Royal Panaque and am open to others. Not going with live plants for the time being but, maybe later.

karpomatic
06-14-2017, 07:52 AM
Re-piped a bit. I had the two drains connecting at a tee and the going into the sump but, the long run from the right side was making the short run from the left act like a vent tube. So, I removed the tee and used two elbows instead. It's still a little louder than I expected but not sure what to do about that.

On other topics, I tested my tap water and it the ph came up at a dead 7.0. I added all the startup chemicals and I'm good to go. I can't wait to see what drift wood and fish I find on Father's Day this Sunday! This has been a long time coming.

Phillydubs
06-14-2017, 09:46 AM
You could go to home depot or ace or something and pick up some foam board, or something along those lines to insulate the cabinet and sump, it really reduces the noise. I did that for my tank as it is in the middle of the office and I didn't want it loud for all to hear as they work... it works rather well and is cheap and easy to do.

What are your stocking plans? Did you test for a anything but a ph? That doesn't mean the tank is fully cycled, I would check all params and make sure.

You plan to head out fathers day and stock up?

karpomatic
06-14-2017, 08:50 PM
You could go to home depot or ace or something and pick up some foam board, or something along those lines to insulate the cabinet and sump, it really reduces the noise. I did that for my tank as it is in the middle of the office and I didn't want it loud for all to hear as they work... it works rather well and is cheap and easy to do.

What are your stocking plans? Did you test for a anything but a ph? That doesn't mean the tank is fully cycled, I would check all params and make sure.

You plan to head out fathers day and stock up?

That is a good idea. I was thinking of the egg crate foam for the sound. We used it at work to dampen the sound of the server. As far as the water, I tested everything and it's all good. I was just surprised that the ph came up dead neutral.

I'm not stocking up on Sunday, just getting a couple to get the tank going.

Ryan925
06-15-2017, 12:23 AM
Re-piped a bit. I had the two drains connecting at a tee and the going into the sump but, the long run from the right side was making the short run from the left act like a vent tube. So, I removed the tee and used two elbows instead. It's still a little louder than I expected but not sure what to do about that.

On other topics, I tested my tap water and it the ph came up at a dead 7.0. I added all the startup chemicals and I'm good to go. I can't wait to see what drift wood and fish I find on Father's Day this Sunday! This has been a long time coming.

When you say loud is it the water in the overflows or the water dumping into the sump? Good move getting rid of the tee

karpomatic
06-15-2017, 10:42 AM
When you say loud is it the water in the overflows or the water dumping into the sump? Good move getting rid of the tee

The water dumping into the sump is a little loud. I bought and installed the Aqueon overflow accessory kit to quiet the corners. All I hear is a little gurgle from them.

Ryan925
06-15-2017, 11:00 AM
The water dumping into the sump is a little loud. I bought and installed the Aqueon overflow accessory kit to quiet the corners. All I hear is a little gurgle from them.

Get your drain lines just below the water level

karpomatic
06-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Get your drain lines just below the water level

Oh, they already are. after the elbows in the photo, I have tubing that goes to the bottom of the sump and the water flows up through bio-balls.

Clawhammer
06-15-2017, 12:36 PM
A couple of thoughts / questions on the noise...

Is your overflow sucking in air as well as water?

Another thought is it could be the 45 angles creating turbulence in the water right before it enters your sump creating noise.

You should be able to achieve complete silence with your setup.

Phillydubs
06-15-2017, 12:50 PM
A couple of? Discus? Or?

You may want to lay out your stocking plan and addition plan here, cross contam is a bugger and QT is real, so be sure you have that thought out... heading out to grab some fish locally, then adding more later and again and again may make things rough for you in due time.... just sayin

karpomatic
06-15-2017, 01:36 PM
My LFS, which I have bought from for over 20 years and never had a single issue with, has some Dwarf cichlids and a L235 Flying Pleco in stock. I want to get a small group in the tank and get it established. I don't have the cash to drop for 8 or 10 Discus all at once. I'm planning on a trip to Discus R Us in August, its only about an hour drive for me, and hoping to come home with 4 to 6 Discus depending on size. Plans may change but that is what I am hoping for. Who knows, if the LFS has something else interesting I may get that instead. I'm staying strictly Amazon river basin though.

Oh, and I already have a 46 gal bowfront set up in my basement as a QT/ hospital tank for future purchases.

karpomatic
06-15-2017, 01:40 PM
A couple of thoughts / questions on the noise...

Is your overflow sucking in air as well as water?

Another thought is it could be the 45 angles creating turbulence in the water right before it enters your sump creating noise.

You should be able to achieve complete silence with your setup.

There are air holes on the accessory kit. Someone else suggested hard piping the drains with PVC instead of the vinyl tubing. Would that cancel the noise?

Phillydubs
06-15-2017, 04:04 PM
My LFS, which I have bought from for over 20 years and never had a single issue with, has some Dwarf cichlids and a L235 Flying Pleco in stock. I want to get a small group in the tank and get it established. I don't have the cash to drop for 8 or 10 Discus all at once. I'm planning on a trip to Discus R Us in August, its only about an hour drive for me, and hoping to come home with 4 to 6 Discus depending on size. Plans may change but that is what I am hoping for. Who knows, if the LFS has something else interesting I may get that instead. I'm staying strictly Amazon river basin though.

Oh, and I already have a 46 gal bowfront set up in my basement as a QT/ hospital tank for future purchases.

I respect whatever moves you want to make and how you want to execute. I also understand that finances play a big role in this hobby, especially discus. With that, I again say, think it out because a lot of times, even on paper, it seems good but then it goes wrong...

I would def. start with at least 6 discus. Make sure your QT all new after that and go through it properly or all the hard money you scraped for the first 6 will be donezitooo... Sometimes it is best to just save and wait, if it takes 2 extra months or years to do it right, in the end its worth it.

A lot of times we forget the cost of our time, stress, and heartache not to mention meds. When it goes wrong

Phillydubs
06-15-2017, 04:12 PM
P.S. - are you a jersey guy?

karpomatic
06-15-2017, 04:25 PM
P.S. - are you a jersey guy?

Yes. Vineland.

Phillydubs
06-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Cool! I grew up in Bordentown!

Ryan925
06-15-2017, 06:34 PM
There are air holes on the accessory kit. Someone else suggested hard piping the drains with PVC instead of the vinyl tubing. Would that cancel the noise?

Is the tank dual corner overflows with single drain from each side? Sounds like you are running a durso overflow style. Not really the quietest thing

Ryan925
06-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Oh, they already are. after the elbows in the photo, I have tubing that goes to the bottom of the sump and the water flows up through bio-balls.

Having them too far below water level can slow down flow also. Usually about an 1" below water level is good

Clawhammer
06-15-2017, 07:02 PM
Is the tank dual corner overflows with single drain from each side? Sounds like you are running a durso overflow style. Not really the quietest thing

+1

karpomatic
06-16-2017, 07:23 AM

One of these in each corner

karpomatic
06-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Went to the LFS for Father's Day and picked up the first batch!

L235 Flying Pleco

Hill Stream Loaches

2 pair of Apistogramma Macmasteri. I got a photo off the net because mine are hiding or too quick for a good photo.

karpomatic
06-19-2017, 01:43 PM
They're not great photos. I had to take them with my flash as he was hiding too well. This was right after I added them to the tank. They move around great now. I'll get better photos tonight.

karpomatic
06-20-2017, 08:56 AM
L235 Flying Pleco and a Hill Stream Loach

Phillydubs
06-20-2017, 03:15 PM
Nice... How are they doing? I know nothing about loaches, took a quick google gander and they don't seem to like the same water as discus, especially temp, what do you keep yours at?

farebox
06-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Please take the advise offered here in the forum, you're like me and kinda of rushed things and have paid dearly with this discus hobby. Rush things will spell alot of problems down the line, more monies being spent on meds, etc. I would not add anymore new fish to the tank and wait until you can get discus all at once. Good luck and you will have an understanding setup going on.....

karpomatic
06-21-2017, 07:17 AM
Please take the advise offered here in the forum, you're like me and kinda of rushed things and have paid dearly with this discus hobby. Rush things will spell alot of problems down the line, more monies being spent on meds, etc. I would not add anymore new fish to the tank and wait until you can get discus all at once. Good luck and you will have an understanding setup going on.....

I would not be here if I were not looking for advice. I'm done with the stocking for now. I'm planning on 4 to 6 discus and will get them all at once. I will be moving the Hill Stream Loaches out of the tank before the discus arrive since the Discus temp is too high for them. However, they are thriving for now. One has already gotten a bit bigger since I got them. He is a voracious eater.

karpomatic
06-24-2017, 07:12 AM
No new fish but I added some plants and another piece of driftwood.

Davidzil
06-24-2017, 03:45 PM
LFS never a problem, pretty funny stuff.
Nothing against the LFS stores.

karpomatic
06-24-2017, 04:09 PM
LFS never a problem, pretty funny stuff.
Nothing against the LFS stores.

Don't get me wrong, I've had issues but not with this particular LFS. Also, there are very few of them left around.

karpomatic
06-28-2017, 10:03 AM
These Hill Stream Loaches are very active. They glide all over everything and chase each other around. This one has doubled in size since I got it. The Bushy nose Pleco was waiting for me to drop in a slice of cucumber.

Phillydubs
06-29-2017, 10:09 AM
I must say they are cool looking those loaches... are you trying to mesh them and make it work? Or will they crap out at the higher heat...

Those rocks that look to be dangling on that wood in the middle? What is up with that? Are those secure in some way. Just my 2 cents but it seems like an accident waiting to happen right there...

karpomatic
06-30-2017, 06:48 AM
I must say they are cool looking those loaches... are you trying to mesh them and make it work? Or will they crap out at the higher heat...

Those rocks that look to be dangling on that wood in the middle? What is up with that? Are those secure in some way. Just my 2 cents but it seems like an accident waiting to happen right there...

I didn't realize the different requirements for the loaches until after I got them but, they're both doing great. They are constantly on the move and love the cucumber I drop in. If I notice distress then i will move them to a tank with a lower temperature but I'm leaving them for now.

The concrete blocks were for holding the driftwood down. They're gone now.

Phillydubs
06-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Nice!

Is it me or the pics or the light? The tank almost seems cloudy or hazy in a way?

Also, is the scape staying as is? Any plans for more wood or anything or keeping it and gonna let the plants fill in?

Glad to hear those rocks were temp. I envisioned an issue with them if they were planned to stay like that...

karpomatic
07-01-2017, 10:03 AM
It's my phone but those Beamworks LED lights are very bright. I actually just had a huge algae bloom yesterday. I have been running the lights full on from 6am till 10pm. I need to get a timer for them badly. I have one but it doesn't work with a plug that has a ground. I'm gonna throw some cotton floss in my sump and do a massive water change tonight. I've got some purigen ordered that should be arriving today. I also finally broke down and ordered a Python and it will be here on Monday.

During the maintenance tonight I'm going to move the sword plants to my 46 bow front community tank. They don't seem to be handling the 84 deg water too well. I will add more plants to replace the swords soon. I have some Pennywort floating on top. I'm hoping that will cut down on the direct light a bit. I may try using the day light mode on one LED strip and the blue night mode on the other.

karpomatic
07-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Before Purigen

After Purigen

karpomatic
07-18-2017, 01:11 PM
A little photo update taken this morning. Maintenance was completed on Sunday morning.

He's got a great apatite

this little ******* showed up out of nowhere.

Group shot

Some floating plants calms the fish

Kyla
07-18-2017, 03:45 PM
You will love the python for wc! Were u bucketing?? I've used python for years and recently switched to an aging barrel with a pump, which for me was just as awesome (and time/effort-saving) as the original switch from bucketing to python. Only thing I'll mention is the thickness of the substrate. I see u r planning to have plants and that's Ok but in areas without plants ur tank might benefit from a thinner layer of substrate? I've switched to BB so I'm biased, but I had substrate in the past and it was impossible to keep clean, even the thin layer of sand I tried could not compare to the BB.

karpomatic
07-24-2017, 01:39 PM
You will love the python for wc! Were u bucketing?? I've used python for years and recently switched to an aging barrel with a pump, which for me was just as awesome (and time/effort-saving) as the original switch from bucketing to python. Only thing I'll mention is the thickness of the substrate. I see u r planning to have plants and that's Ok but in areas without plants ur tank might benefit from a thinner layer of substrate? I've switched to BB so I'm biased, but I had substrate in the past and it was impossible to keep clean, even the thin layer of sand I tried could not compare to the BB.

I was bucketing, yes. Luckily the bathroom is only around the corner. The Python helps my back a ton. I'm vacuuming to the bottom of the tank in the open parts of sand and only lightly around the plants. The Royal is already a little poop monster.

I had a bit of a mishap on Saturday night. I came home from work to find my pump not running. I open the bottom and the pan that my sump sits in is full of water. A seal on my sump sprang a leak and was filling the pan. Unfortunately, the AC adapter for my pump was laying in the tray behind the sump and also filled with water, shorting it out. I've resealed the area with the leak and hooked up my emergency 500 gph pump for now till the replacement AC adapter arrives. Vacuum breaks are a very good thing.

karpomatic
08-16-2017, 01:21 PM
So here's a little update. My sump sprung a leak while I was at work one day a few weeks ago. I have the sump sitting in a pan just for this occasion but, I didn't realize that the AC adapter for my DC pump was sitting in the pan behind the sump. It filled with water and shorted out. Upon this discovery, I hooked up my measly backup 500gph pump, fixed the leak, and ordered a new adapter. I got the adapter in a week and got everything going. By that time the tank was a light shade of Mountain Dew. It took a few water changes over many days to get it back to crystal clear. All was fine on the mechanical end. It was the wildlife that was giving me issues.

The two of my four Apistogramma Macmasteri began to bully everything that moved. First they killed the weaker female. Then I caught the one pair beating up on the remaining male. I quickly saved him and he now very happy and lives in my 46 bow front community tank. It all seemed good for a few days then I saw the dominate male take a chuck out of the back of my 4" Butterfly Pleco. I tried but he died a few days later. I had had enough. I spoke to my LFS who agreed to take them back and issue credit with no trouble at all. I replaced the Apistos with two Flagtail Prochilodus and two Geophagus Winemilleri. They school together quite often and the Geophagus are keeping my sand nice and clean. I also added 3 L104 Clown Plecos. I've also noted that I see my L235 flying Pleco much more often now that the Apistos are gone.

karpomatic
09-12-2017, 09:35 AM
I have been having a real problem with a bacterial bloom that will not go away. It's been suggested that I've been cleaning out the sump too often. So, on Saturday, I ordered a JUP-23 UV sterilizer from Amazon. On Sunday, I picked up some lava rock and added 4 mesh bags of it to the sump for added filtration. I also replaced the ammonia crystals. Last night I did a 50% water change and added the sterilizer to the system. Hopefully this clears it up.

Right after adding the UV sterilizer

The school

Ryan925
09-12-2017, 10:07 AM
I would not expect that uv to do a whole lot. It may help clarify the water a little bit but definitely don't count on sterilization

White Worm
09-12-2017, 11:31 AM
You are knocking back the beneficial bacteria. It happens when you clean filters too much and then do a large water changes. If you are wiping everything down and cleaning filters in tap water, you will kill off the cycle. The white cloud is your tank trying to reestablish the biological filter. Clearing it with chemicals is just masking the main issue. Be patient, it will clear on its own when the filter is capable of handling the fish load.

karpomatic
09-16-2017, 03:50 PM
I added the UV light on Tuesday evening. I also slowed down the pump in the sump a bit. I believe this gave the bacteria time to setup in the sump. These photos are from last evening.

Ryan925
09-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Nice looking geos. How are they with the plants? Don't dig them up?

karpomatic
09-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Nice looking geos. How are they with the plants? Don't dig them up?

Yes, a bit. Mostly the ones in the back. i'm going to get some smooth stones to put around the base to keep them away.

Phillydubs
09-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Whats the plan for discus here... if any?

karpomatic
09-22-2017, 07:51 AM
I was waiting for that question. I'm not sure at this point. I got very gun shy for Discus with all the sump issues in the beginning. I know the Flagtails are not good tank mates for them. I may revisit the idea in the future but at this point I just want it to be a clear and healthy tank. Other than the Flagtails, everything in the tank is Discus compatible.

This photo was taken with my new Samsung Galaxy Note 8