PDA

View Full Version : NADA-2018 Show Date/Location

nc0gnet0
06-11-2017, 12:22 PM
NADA-2018 Show Date

We are proud to announce that the contract has been signed and a show date set. Our next show will be held at the Renaissance Hotel in Iselin New Jersey on July 12 through 15th! This show promises to be the biggest and best ever, so set your dates early! Stay tuned to this thread as more information develops!

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewrwd-renaissance-woodbridge-hotel/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

-Rick

RichT
06-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Outstanding!!! Guess who's gonna be bringing home fish.

Disgirl
06-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Wow, I can hardly wait! And close enough to North Carolina I will be able to drive! Only 1 year to wait now.
Barb

Keith Perkins
06-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Woohoo, I'll be marking my calendar at work in the morning.

RogueDiscus
06-11-2017, 10:14 PM
My wife's planning to join me this time so we can visit relatives in NJ. Who's the home club doing the planning this time?

Smendez
06-19-2017, 08:41 PM
To all of you on the fence of going:

I went last year and what I learned elevated my Discus keeping game tenfold. The information available is second to none, the speakers all first class, and everyone was friendly, helpful, and with a common interest. I'm going again, no doubt about it.

See you in Jersey!

RogueDiscus
06-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Still wondering who the local group in charge is. Just curious. The midwest group did a great job in Chicago.

Poppa Ryno
06-19-2017, 10:57 PM
Still wondering who the local group in charge is. Just curious. The midwest group did a great job in Chicago.
I believe its James Perrenod and his club.

Jenene
06-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Oh Yay! I am in! Headed to NJ for Reef-A-Palooza at the Meadowlands in NJ this weekend so I can make a practice run a year in advance! ;)

Larry Bugg
06-20-2017, 05:13 PM
I believe its James Perrenod and his club.

James Perrenod and Bob Tools are the local co-chairs of the Show. Keith Perkins and I are the National co-chairs. Keith was in charge of putting together the best show yet in Chicago and there isn't a doubt in my mind that James and Bob are going to surpass the success.

Poppa Ryno
06-20-2017, 06:51 PM
James Perrenod and Bob Tools are the local co-chairs of the Show. Keith Perkins and I are the National co-chairs. Keith was in charge of putting together the best show yet in Chicago and there isn't a doubt in my mind that James and Bob are going to surpass the success.
Very awesome. I cant wait to see it come together.

Jenene
06-20-2017, 09:56 PM
Just for kicks checked out the hotel it's sold out already!

Poppa Ryno
06-20-2017, 10:16 PM
OH great. This should be fun. lol

Altum Nut
06-20-2017, 10:29 PM

I just checked and the bookings don't go past June 2018. Show is in July so don't worry as more info will be posted as mentioned at start of this thread

...Ralph

RogueDiscus
06-20-2017, 10:36 PM
There was a special room rate for the Chicago show. I bet something similar has been arranged for this one too. Looking forward to the details.

Larry Bugg
06-20-2017, 11:09 PM
Opps..............we booked a hotel that has no rooms available?? That's pretty bad isn't it.

Larry Bugg
06-20-2017, 11:12 PM
Lol, we have the hotel booked and a section of rooms reserved for us and yes as Steve said we do have a special rate negotiated just for us. More details yet to come.

Keith Perkins
06-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Yes, not to worry. We had plenty of guest rooms blocked off for NADA in Chicago and there are even more rooms blocked this time. The thing to remember is that this block is released about 30 days prior to the end of the event so if you wait to the last week or two to make up your mind about attending you may be SOL.

Captain Discus
06-21-2017, 09:42 AM
I have not been to one of these shows. I am on the fence Happy fish or happy WIFE, Tough decision.
Very interested in learning more about this business.
Thanks. Tom

Keith Perkins
06-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Hmm Tom, you may need to change your user name from Captain Discus to First Mate Discus. :D

Disgirl
06-21-2017, 10:59 AM
I have not been to one of these shows. I am on the fence Happy fish or happy WIFE, Tough decision.
Very interested in learning more about this business.
Thanks. Tom

Tom, bring her along! We always have a special evening for all the ladies who attend. Usually Friday night. The past conventions have been a lot of fun for wives and girlfriends, right ladies?
Barb

Larry Bugg
06-21-2017, 11:15 AM
As Barb said there is a way to have both Happy Fish and Happy Wife. My wife has been with me for the last two shows and my wife and daughter came to the Chicago Show. They were rarely seen at the Show though. They had a wonderful time touring the many wonders of Chicago. Plan for the weekend or plan a weeks vacation around it. You won't regret it!!

BOBT00LS
06-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Not to worry all. We have a large block of rooms on hold for us. Im within 10 minutes to where the show will be held so if anyone has questions about the area, where to go, or what there is to do, please send all your questions my way. If it helps convincing any spouses to take the trip, the hotel has a free shuttle to the train station which is 5 minutes away and that will take you to New York City in thirty minutes !!!

Willie
06-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Which train station is that, Bob? Can we get there from Newark Airport?

Willie

Jenene
06-21-2017, 11:36 PM
That is great there were rooms set aside for us. How do we go about booking one?
I know now I am in. No need for the city. I will be where the discus are!��

Larry Bugg
06-22-2017, 08:23 AM

Willie

Newark is the closest and there is complimentary shuttle service to the train station.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/travel/ewrwd-renaissance-woodbridge-hotel/

Larry Bugg
06-22-2017, 08:37 AM
That is great there were rooms set aside for us. How do we go about booking one?
I know now I am in. No need for the city. I will be where the discus are!��

When we are ready we will be posting a link for the hotel registration. We are currently working on the 2018 Show website and all the info will be available there. Of course as new info comes available, this (Simply) is always the first place we post it.

I'm with you about being where the discus are. I don't leave the hotel except maybe to eat (maybe). I always try to emphasize the importance of being at the hotel. Lots of times local people will say they are going to stay at home and come to the hotel for the talks and stuff. It is more than just going to the talks. Don't get me wrong, they are informative and given by some of the top discus people around the world, but before the talks and after the talks and at 3 in the morning you get to talk one on one with these experts and you spend time with Simply/NADA friends and experts. The experience is unbelievable.

jmf3460
06-22-2017, 08:59 AM
which airport is closest to this?

BOBT00LS
06-22-2017, 10:10 AM

Willie

The train station is Metropark and yes you can get there from Newark airport. The hotel has a shuttle service that will pick you up at Metropark and bring you to the hotel which is only 5 minutes away.

BOBT00LS
06-22-2017, 10:12 AM
which airport is closest to this?

Newark Airport.

pooljap
06-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Newark Airport is the closest and is about 20-30 mins away from hotel on a good day.

Keith Perkins
06-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Lots of times local people will say they are going to stay at home and come to the hotel for the talks and stuff. It is more than just going to the talks. Don't get me wrong, they are informative and given by some of the top discus people around the world, but before the talks and after the talks and at 3 in the morning you get to talk one on one with these experts and you spend time with Simply/NADA friends and experts. The experience is unbelievable.

Excellent points Larry. I wish I had a picture to show of the folks sitting in a circle in the fishroom in Chicago talking at the wee hours of the morning. You can get about any discus question answered by several experts when you're in these settings, even a few questions you'd never think to ask.

ssevasta
06-29-2017, 01:59 AM
I'm psyched. This is pretty close to my neck of the woods. I better bring a pocketful of cash so I can bring home something nice.

Kingdom Come Discus
07-06-2017, 04:25 PM
This is great.! Great bunch heading up this one.

Debow
07-24-2017, 02:31 PM
This made my day! I will finally be able to make it to a meeting and meet a bunch of you! now I just have to be patient for another year!

Jenene
07-24-2017, 11:25 PM
I am in too. Can't wait! Well I guess I have to.... I need an advent calendar. ��

hayhar27
09-28-2017, 11:12 AM
About 20 minutes from my house..............can't wait for this.

Dave Cal
09-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Outstanding, right in my backyard!

discuspaul
09-28-2017, 10:43 PM
This is shaping up to be a super great show - maybe the best ever - especially with James, Bob, Keith & Larry, and no doubt others as well, doing the organizing !!!

I'm hesitant to be speaking about this too soon, for fear of jinxing myself.... but here goes:

Some of you may recall that I was really looking forward to attending the 2016 show in Chicago - but had to cancel all the bookings at the 11th hour due to health/medical issues, doctor's recommendation, and inability to get suitable travel medical insurance.

Well, I believe things have changed for the better.... I'm scheduled to have my first full hip replacement surgery next week (Oct.5), and assuming all goes well ( no reason why it shouldn't), my orthopedic surgeon should be able to schedule the needed second hip replacement within 4-5 months following the first....... thereby hopefully allowing for a suitable 2nd rehab time period to get me into sufficient condition to attend the show in mid-July 2018 !

At least, that's what I' hoping ...... there's always a few 'what if's' in these kind of situations.... but I'm quite positive & optimistic about it, and will give it my best shot to get in shape, so as to be able to meet up with all you good people next July.

Really looking forward to it !!

Paul

RogueDiscus
09-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Hope all goes well Paul!

Disgirl
09-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Good news Paul! NADA will give you a pleasant thought or two as you recover from the surgeries, something to really look forward to. It will be great to finally meet you in person!
Barb

Skip
09-29-2017, 03:17 PM
I want to go.. but i could be bringing wife and foster/adopted kids by that time next year!! :)

discuspaul
09-30-2017, 08:59 PM
Many thanks for your words of encouragement, Steve & Barb.

Will look forward to meeting both of you, as well as many, many other discus devotees who will be attending the show, whose names I'm familiar with but would be very pleased to get to know better.

And Skip, I really hope you'll manage to be there with wife & family so I can finally meet you in person. It's been a lot of years since we've been back & forth communicating together, on more than this SD forum.

There are so many SD members I'd love to have a chat with, or break bread with, or have a favorite bar libation with -
just to mention a few while risking omitting at least 30 or more other names - (so forgive me) I hope you folks will also be attending: - Al, Pat, Keith, Barb, Ricardo, Ralph, Rick, Larry, and not least, John !!..... etc.

Guess you can tell I'm real excited about being in attendance at this show !

Keith Perkins
10-01-2017, 08:41 AM
I definitely hope you make it this time around Paul, and Pat too for that matter. I missed you both at the Chicago show. Believe it or not the people you mentioned are even nicer in person than they are on the forum...especially John. :evilgrin:

discuspaul
10-01-2017, 10:17 AM
I definitely hope you make it this time around Paul, and Pat too for that matter. I missed you both at the Chicago show. Believe it or not the people you mentioned are even nicer in person than they are on the forum...especially John. :evilgrin:

About the people mentioned (as well as many others who may be there) being even nicer in person --- I believe that,
and as for John ...... I certainly can't wait to meet him - would not want to miss that !!!!

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2017, 11:39 AM
About the people mentioned (as well as many others who may be there) being even nicer in person --- I believe that,
and as for John ...... I certainly can't wait to meet him - would not want to miss that !!!!

If you get a chance to meet John Paul, be sure to have him introduce his wife Charlie. These two have a cool and interesting relationship.
Pat

discuspaul
10-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Will do - for sure.

Dave Cal
10-19-2017, 09:25 AM
If you are arriving at Newark Liberty International Airport there is a monorail called the Airtrain that will take you to New Jersey Transit's Northeast Corridor line. Once there you can get a ticket to Metropark station which is very close to the hotel. As mentioned in previous posts the Northeast Corridor line also goes into New York City and puts you in the heart of downtown Manhattan, it's about a 45 minute ride. If anyone like's good BBQ you can get off at Newark Penn Station, also on the N.E. corridor line and hit Dinosaur BBQ which is within walking distance of the train station.

Can't wait for the show, I'm looking forward to meeting some of you who I know through reading this forum.

Hope this helps some, I live 10 minutes from the hotel so feel free to ask any questions about the area.

Willie
10-19-2017, 10:38 PM
..Believe it or not the people you mentioned are even nicer in person than they are on the forum...especially John. :evilgrin:

I beg to differ, Keith.

Keith Perkins
10-21-2017, 09:24 PM
I beg to differ, Keith.

That's what I get for still owing you a drink I guess. I'd rather owe it to you though than cheat you out of it. :D

Pardal
10-22-2017, 12:12 AM
I am marking my calendar, although early, looks really good though.

Keith Perkins
10-22-2017, 08:35 AM
There's nothing else like it Julian. The quality of the fish is incredible and the discus knowledge present is second to none. It's truly something every discus enthusiast should experience.

Wes
12-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Excellent points Larry. I wish I had a picture to show of the folks sitting in a circle in the fishroom in Chicago talking at the wee hours of the morning. You can get about any discus question answered by several experts when you're in these settings, even a few questions you'd never think to ask.

Ok a little late

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/xeriod/20160709_012800_zpspthhl1yq.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/xeriod/media/20160709_012800_zpspthhl1yq.jpg.html)

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/xeriod/20160709_012754_zpsba9wqdqf.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/xeriod/media/20160709_012754_zpsba9wqdqf.jpg.html)

Keith Perkins
12-02-2017, 11:05 AM
Better late than never Wes, a ton of knowledge was shared in that circle.

A few of the speakers have been lined up for the show and I'm REALLY psyched!

Jenene
12-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Why are there never any girls??? Seriously...

Willie
12-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Why are there never any girls??? Seriously...

Because they have lives? :evilgrin:

Jenene
12-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Because they have lives? :evilgrin:

Hey! What's that say about you Willie!!!!! ;)

Willie
12-02-2017, 03:59 PM
Hey! What's that say about you Willie!!!!! ;)

:p Jenene, there are no illusions at my age.

Disgirl
12-02-2017, 04:23 PM
Jenene,I have been to the last 3 conventions and there are plenty of us girls too. Plan on joining us at the girls only dinner one of the nights, usually Friday night at the hotel restaurant. Loads of fun I promise!
Barb

Willie
03-03-2018, 09:01 AM
When can we register and book hotel rooms?

Willie

Larry Bugg
03-03-2018, 10:39 AM
When can we register and book hotel rooms?

Willie

We plan to open the 2018 Show Website this week but you can register for the hotel here.......
http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=North%20American%20Discus %20Association%20%5Eewrwd%60nornora%7Cnornorb%6012 9.00%60USD%60false%601%607/11/18%607/15/18%6006/15/18&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes

FischAutoTechGarten
03-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Larry, James and Bob
What time do the doors open and the events start on Thursday, July 12th?
Do they start off with dinner on Thursday?

Just figuring out if there would be time to drive down there on Thursday from Upstate New York. There is a chance I could be in Upstate New York around that time (checking on that now so I can make the Hotel reservation in time should I be able to attend).

Second Hand Pat
03-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Larry, James and Bob

Just figuring out if there would be time to drive down there on Thursday from Upstate New York. There is a chance I could be in Upstate New York around that time (checking on that now so I can make the Hotel reservation in time should I be able to attend).

There is nothing show wise happening on Thursday except showroom setup and fish arriving. Here's the schedule for the show http://www.discusnada.org/2018NADAdiscusshow/show-events/.

RogueDiscus
03-23-2018, 04:29 PM
I'm going to second what Pat said and just say that, although many of us are connected to the community through SD, NADA is a separate organization and I encourage everyone to check out the show at the link to their site Pat posted. And you should go!
Steve

Larry Bugg
03-23-2018, 05:41 PM
Larry, James and Bob

The doors will be open all day on Thursday!!!!!! Come on down!!!!

As Pat said there are no official events on Thursday. Room set up should start Thursday morning with the stands being assembled and tanks set up so we can start putting fish in the tanks Thursday afternoon. Not all fish show up on Thursday but some do so we have to be ready for them. My plans are to arrive on Wed night so I will be there Thursday morning to help set up. I know some others are planning on doing the same. We always welcome help with open arms. The more the quicker we have the tanks ready. There is another benefit from doing this. It gives you a chance to meet and get to know some people early before the room is so crowded. For me this is a big plus. I love the presentations from speakers and also enjoy chatting and buying from vendors but what I enjoy the most and the biggest reason I have attended all the Shows, is a chance to meet others that I have only spoken with online and some I have never had that online chance with. Along with building stands and setting up tanks we will be setting up tables for vendors/sponsors, we will be setting up the speaker room, we will be stuffing goodie bags and setting up the registration table. Plenty to do!!

geo57
03-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Well I'm in sunny California and that is a little far for this old man. Wish i could attend, is there any shows out west in the near future?

two utes
03-23-2018, 08:35 PM
The doors will be open all day on Thursday!!!!!! Come on down!!!!

As Pat said there are no official events on Thursday. Room set up should start Thursday morning with the stands being assembled and tanks set up so we can start putting fish in the tanks Thursday afternoon. Not all fish show up on Thursday but some do so we have to be ready for them. My plans are to arrive on Wed night so I will be there Thursday morning to help set up. I know some others are planning on doing the same. We always welcome help with open arms. The more the quicker we have the tanks ready. There is another benefit from doing this. It gives you a chance to meet and get to know some people early before the room is so crowded. For me this is a big plus. I love the presentations from speakers and also enjoy chatting and buying from vendors but what I enjoy the most and the biggest reason I have attended all the Shows, is a chance to meet others that I have only spoken with online and some I have never had that online chance with. Along with building stands and setting up tanks we will be setting up tables for vendors/sponsors, we will be setting up the speaker room, we will be stuffing goodie bags and setting up the registration table. Plenty to do!!

I've planned my family holiday around this event, and will be in New York at the time. I'm looking forward to attending, and to meet alot of the fine people from here.