PDA

View Full Version : Funny things going on in this reef...

Jenene
06-13-2017, 09:52 PM
So things are settling in nicely in the Red Sea Reef with the exception of my first sps coral. Live and learn. I guess I am not quite ready for those yet. Lido, our friend, could see by my pic I sent him that I had it too close to the lights. He then taught me how to make my own frag rack and in 30 seconds I had one up but most likely too late for this poor thing...

Anyway, on a lighter note, the Blue Tuxedo Urchin has been pretty funny. I had read that they have a habit of decorating themselves with things they find around the tank. It's kind of annoying really since without all the crap on his back he is actually very attractive. It is funny tho because he keeps you guessing. You never know what his next ensemble will be. He has worn shed shrimp exoskeletons, a piece of Nori I was trying to feed him (he wrapped it around himself like a blanket and looked ridiculous for days). Tonight he has a confetti coat of sand on him. Guess he was feeling creative. He is doing on nice job on the back wall though which I had been meaning to scrape. No need now- he's got my back.

Another cool happening is the Orange Tip Torch that we didn't think would live seemed to have split off a piece most likely from where it was cracked when he was fragged at the reef shop. I found a tiny "mini me" torch planted in the sand today. I mounted it on a piece of rubble rock so he doesn't blow away.

Not sure if I ever mentioned I put a Tail Spot Blenny in the tank but he has gotten braver and is out much more. He is a funny little thing. Check out his hilarious cartoon face in the second pic.
One last addition is a Flame Hawkfish but will update on him later.

Phillydubs
06-15-2017, 02:58 PM
Awesome additions! That urchin has me cracking up! Toooo funny! To me this is what separates a reef tank or makes it special, there is sooooo much going on!

My bro in law just upgraded from a smaller reef to a 72 bow like my discus tank. I think seeing his tank made me add the tank mates to my discus that I did, just to see other species and life doing what they do.

Watching a reef tank is like sitting in the middle of NYC, there are a million things to look at!

Discus-n00b
06-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Tailspots are one of my favorites!! Used to have one myself before he jumped out.

SPS take a bit extra but they are my favorite. You'll get there I'm sure! Try to start with something like a Montipora cap or piece of green slimer.

Jenene
06-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Awesome additions! That urchin has me cracking up! Toooo funny! To me this is what separates a reef tank or makes it special, there is sooooo much going on!

My bro in law just upgraded from a smaller reef to a 72 bow like my discus tank. I think seeing his tank made me add the tank mates to my discus that I did, just to see other species and life doing what they do.

Watching a reef tank is like sitting in the middle of NYC, there are a million things to look at!

Lol! Phil! That is a great comparison. There is a lot going on. One thing I noticed is that to see it all you really have to sit really close up to appreciate it. The discus can be seen from across the house. We tend to gather around it for cocktail hour on the weekend with some good music going in the background. It's a great place to be!

Jenene
06-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Tailspots are one of my favorites!! Used to have one myself before he jumped out.

SPS take a bit extra but they are my favorite. You'll get there I'm sure! Try to start with something like a Montipora cap or piece of green slimer.

I will go back and try again when I get a handle on the lighting situation. Today was reef shop day but I restrained myself and just bought a replacement bottle of Mg supplement. While I was there I picked the brain of the other guy who is really good with the Aqua Illumination lights. He actually installed his tank lights on my phone so he could transfer his preset to mine. He ran it through quick so I could see what a day in his tank looks like. Pretty cool and I think I now understand the basics of running these lights. These guys are really helpful.

I would love a Monti. I have saved a spot for one. After I get a grip on what is going on in there I will expand my horizons. Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement!

Jenene
06-16-2017, 07:26 AM
Phil thought of you this morning with the urchin's yet again wardrobe change. The conch was covered in algae and overnight the urchin stripped him clean and is now wearing the leaves of algae. He got the conch so clean I had never seen the pattern on his shell. What a fashionista this thing is... (sorry about the blue lights- didn't want to shock em with the bright white first thing in the morning!)

Here is what the conch looked like before he was robbed, except he had more of the green algae on him last night. Can't believe how clean he is now...