PDA

View Full Version : A sump is born...the Tank

Neptune
06-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Day 1 hour 0
June 23rd 2017 2:30 CDT

Front view, this is built into the wall and I have to trim it yet. But here it is.
I could not wait any longer for the wood to sink so I zip tied it to a rock. That was not quit enough so I had to stick a rock in the top.

Plants need to grow in. Behind the wood is Crinum calamistratum. They will grow tall and should wave in the current around the wood.

Then I have three red lotus bulbs at to create several focal points.
1. is in the back left you can just see it sticking up behind the rock.
2. right in front of the drain bulk head.
3. Is in front of the root where rock and curved root meet.

Neptune
06-23-2017, 03:32 PM
back view to see the plants

Filip
07-12-2017, 09:25 AM
What is this Neptune ? is it another discus tank or just an replacement / upgrade of your current tank ?
How big it is ? What do you plan to keep in here ?
Good luck with your new tank Neptune .

Neptune
07-12-2017, 11:56 AM
is it another discus tank or just an replacement / upgrade of your current tank ?
Second tank built into the wall, back of tank is in furnace room.
How big it is ?
65 gallon tank plumbed with overflow to 40 gallon sump.

What do you plan to keep in here ?
The plan is when I get home from traveling the end of the month, I want to order
3 or 4 red Alenquer
2 or 3 Red Melons
and 2or 3 Golden Albino Pigeon Discus

Good luck with your new tank Neptune!

Thank you!
I am going to order smaller fish from SomeFinsFishy...but I thought ahead(for once!)
I plumbed in a bulk head about 3/4 of the way down the back. I throw a lever and the tank drains into the sump where it is pumped out to a drain in the laundry room. I wanted to grow the discus, so I figure I better make water changes easy.

Can't wait to get off the road and order some fish!(and living in a hotel for two weeks sucks!)

I should have taken a picture before I left.. the water lotus growth exploded and there are new leaves reaching the surface already.

Filip
07-13-2017, 10:00 AM
I would start with half filled tank IIWY .
Changing 100 G daily would be a drag , considering the quarter size discus you are about to get .

Second Hand Pat
07-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Hi Nepture, nice tank :D Is that a drain line in back of the tank? If so it could easily suck small fish down the drain. Perhaps a thick piece of foam would help.
Pat

Neptune
07-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Hi Nepture, nice tank :D Is that a drain line in back of the tank? If so it could easily suck small fish down the drain. Perhaps a thick piece of foam would help.
Pat

yes it is, I plan on putting a strainer in it.

Neptune
07-13-2017, 05:51 PM
I would start with half filled tank IIWY .
Changing 100 G daily would be a drag , considering the quarter size discus you are about to get .

I'm only going to drain about 30 gallons a day out of it....that's the size of my aging barrel.

I also plan to add a BIG Purigen reactor as per the "WOW" factor sticky.

Neptune
07-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Two weeks of lilly growth! Imagine the discus swimming around the long lilly stems!
AND
I ordered fish today!

3 red alenquer
3 Golden Albino Pigeon Discus
3 Yellow-Face Red Melon

They are all little guys so gotta grow them up!

Definitely need to get a back on the tank so you can't see the furnace room!

Neptune
07-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Shipment from SomeFinsFishy came in today:

Clawhammer
07-26-2017, 07:50 PM
Congrats to you, and the fish, as they don't know how lucky they are to have found a home in your tank :) The tank looks great btw, if there weren't fish swimming around I would not believe there was water in that tank!

I will be living through you vicariously throughout this growout, keep us updated!

Neptune
07-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Congrats to you, and the fish, as they don't know how lucky they are to have found a home in your tank :) The tank looks great btw, if there weren't fish swimming around I would not believe there was water in that tank!

I will be living through you vicariously throughout this growout, keep us updated!

Thanks Claw! Let the journey begin, they have a long way to go!

ya I gotta get a back on there so you can't see through to the furnace room.

Neptune
07-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Here is the stock list

3 Red Alenquer
3 yellow-face red melon
4 golden Albino pigeon (they send an extra just in case you get a DOA)

Ryan925
07-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Look forward to seeing progress

Jack L
07-27-2017, 11:35 PM
very nice, if i do another tank it will be stocked with the red alenquer, so interested in seeing how yours progress

Neptune
07-28-2017, 08:59 AM
very nice, if i do another tank it will be stocked with the red alenquer, so interested in seeing how yours progress

I was VERY tempted to do a whole tank of them. I don't know if its just me but they have a different personality. They are the first to come out, first to eat, explore etc. The three of them hang together and don't crap from the others! LOL..

Ryan925
07-28-2017, 11:48 AM
I was VERY tempted to do a whole tank of them. I don't know if its just me but they have a different personality. They are the first to come out, first to eat, explore etc. The three of them hang together and don't crap from the others! LOL..

My alenquer is completely different from the rest of my group. It behaves more like I would imagine a wild to. Always is changing color. Flashing bars and halo. Was a bit **** at first but a more social now. She has decided to only bottom feed so I need to feed a variety of pellet foods as well. Got a heck of a deal from Al on a pound of fdbw pellets.

Bizarro252
07-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Looks fantastic, I like the ones with the dark line through the eye, those must be the Red Alenquer?

Neptune
07-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Looks fantastic, I like the ones with the dark line through the eye, those must be the Red Alenquer?

correct

JamesW
07-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Whats your sump look like? The tank looks fantastic! Best of luck growing out the fish, it is always fun to watch the little ones put on size and color up!

I hope that W/C bulkhead never leaks on you!

Neptune
07-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Whats your sump look like? The tank looks fantastic! Best of luck growing out the fish, it is always fun to watch the little ones put on size and color up!

I hope that W/C bulkhead never leaks on you!

How did you know! LOL..That bulkhead was a **** to stop leaking when I set it up. the other day it had a little drip on it, but stopped and hasn't started again....ya it worries me!

Here is the tank build thread.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?127964-A-sump-is-born

JamesW
07-31-2017, 03:58 PM
Looks awesome!

I just use a conventional siphon down to the return side of my sump and have a three-way valve on the pump and send it to my kitchen sink. I do have my R/O auto-top running up from my basement via a hole in my central heating ducting. Your design has me thinking it is time to make that hole a little bigger and attach a hose... Dammit just when I thought my water change setup was fixed/finished!

Neptune
07-31-2017, 06:54 PM
The fish continue to settle in, not one died, they are chow hounds, devouring Hikari Micro pellets three times a day and they love hanging out under the lily pads! Very tempted to order three more of the Alenquers!

Clawhammer
07-31-2017, 08:05 PM
Go for it!

Ryan925
07-31-2017, 08:20 PM
I think with a grow out you always want to have several extra right? That way you can choose the best of the best?

Neptune
07-31-2017, 08:30 PM
I think with a grow out you always want to have several extra right? That way you can choose the best of the best?

LMAO...boy you guys sure encourage with someone else's tank space! :evilgrin:

Ryan925
07-31-2017, 08:31 PM
LMAO...boy you guys sure encourage with someone else's tank space! :evilgrin:

Those tiny little guys are like a drop in a bucket in that tank ;) man I'm starting to sound like Phil! Uh oh.

Kidding Phil

Neptune
07-31-2017, 08:59 PM
Those tiny little guys are like a drop in a bucket in that tank ;) man I'm starting to sound like Phil! Uh oh.

Kidding Phil

Uh Oh I pulled a Phil!
I just so happened to have $60 burning a hole in my PayPal account!
I ordered three more!

abijitr
08-09-2017, 02:21 PM
I can't see the pics... is it just me or do others have this problem as well? P.S. I am logged in from my iPhone

Neptune
08-10-2017, 09:12 PM
8-10 update,

They are growing like weeds! They are ravenous little devils!

Neptune
08-10-2017, 09:21 PM
more

Neptune
08-18-2017, 12:01 PM
Most of the fish have doubled in size. They are still healthy and piggish!
These guys are so fun to watch. They act so natural exploring the wood and plants, scrapping with each other, just being curious.

I just did a water change so they were a little nervous, but The different strain personalities shine! The Alenquers are always fist in line, show no fear! They weren't sure what the camera was back in the corner so they sent an Alenquer to check it out! He kept peeking around the corner and I thought it was funny.

There is clearly a runt in the bunch, one of the pigeon blood albino's but it is healthy. It does not like to eat with the others due to harassment so it has figured out to wait on the far end and the food drifts over and it eats by itself. All the others are scrapping at the food ring and he has the whole table to herself!