PDA

View Full Version : Purigen reactors

Ryan925
07-25-2017, 11:19 PM
I know there are many old threads on this but thought I would start a new one to see who is currently using a purigen reactor and what they are using. I know many use purigen, in bags, in their sumps, canisters and hob's but thought it would be nice to have some info, and show how simple it is, for anyone considering or even never thought of a reactor.

I just set up my first and it was very simple and working like a charm. Granted I have lots of experience in plumbing, electrical, pumps, etc but this is really something anyone can do.

My original plan was to use a submersible pump in my sump to supply reactor then have the output dump into the bubble trap before the return pump. Since my sump is not in use until I can build my stand I figured why not set one up with my canister.

I teed into the return of my eheim pro 4+ 650 and used this valve to throttle flow.

ISTA 2pcs SINGLE Tap connector 16mm Control Valve Quick TAP- HOSEING FILTER Flow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SIS3NAU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_7KBt9h61X2mHl

I then plumbed it to this reactor.

AquaMaxx Fr-se GFO Carbon and Biopellet Hang-on Filter Media Reactor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0184GF5PQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_fCixoRFCwzPRx

I filled reactor with 500 ml of purigen. I started canister with valve closed then very slowly opened it to achieve desired flow.

I found this needs to be a slow process. As the purigen rises the smallest beads bounce up off the top of the mass. After a bit of time this rogue beads settle then flow can be increased more. I currently have a micron sock over the outlet until I get it dialed.

This whole thing took me prob 20 mins to setup and tune.

https://youtu.be/Wuovyvqf-Vo

Video must be set to 1080p to clearly see the tumble

Look forward to seeing the rest of yours

Neptune
07-26-2017, 09:02 AM
I use the PhosBan reactor by two little fishys. Essential the same thing as yours.
I run it with a small powerhead and a valve on it to regulate flow.

You are correct, they have to be really fine tuned. Too much flow and you blow the beads into the sump/tank and its a mess. Too little and you don't get the suspension.

But it is well worth the effort.
1. provides much more exposure to the beads when suspended.
2. You can run a lot of Purigen.
3. Very easy to service the unit.

My next reactor is going to be one of these:eek:
http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/pscramer/library/The%20Fish%20Tank%20System/Purigen%20Reactor%20Design?sort=4&page=1

abla1958
07-26-2017, 10:17 AM
I use Eheim 2211 canister filter. Works like a charm and setting it up is obviously a breeze.

jim LI
07-26-2017, 10:54 AM
i use a kent reactor teed off my 2232 eheim canister filter.

Ryan925
07-26-2017, 11:27 AM
I use the PhosBan reactor by two little fishys. Essential the same thing as yours.
I run it with a small powerhead and a valve on it to regulate flow.

You are correct, they have to be really fine tuned. Too much flow and you blow the beads into the sump/tank and its a mess. Too little and you don't get the suspension.

But it is well worth the effort.
1. provides much more exposure to the beads when suspended.
2. You can run a lot of Purigen.
3. Very easy to service the unit.

My next reactor is going to be one of these:eek:
http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/pscramer/library/The%20Fish%20Tank%20System/Purigen%20Reactor%20Design?sort=4&page=1

It's deceiving how much you can run compared to size of the reactor. I am running 500ml in a 2l reactor and That's probably the max. With less I could probably have more flow but I guess all that matters is to keep it fluidized

Clawhammer
07-26-2017, 11:34 AM
I use Eheim 2211 canister filter. Works like a charm and setting it up is obviously a breeze.

Do you restrict the flow?

Clawhammer
07-26-2017, 11:36 AM
What is the approximate flow you guys are using? I just want to see if my current pumps are in the right range...

Ryan925
07-26-2017, 12:45 PM
What is the approximate flow you guys are using? I just want to see if my current pumps are in the right range...

I'm really not sure but it's very slow. The purigen is very very light. I have the ball valve cracked maybe 1/4 open

I searched and searched the internet and could never find a required flow rate

jim LI
07-26-2017, 12:48 PM
i would guess maybe 20 to 50 gph.. nothing more than that. since i am tapping off of an existing filter, its hard to judge the gph.. its more of a how it flows in the reactor.

pitdogg2
07-26-2017, 12:55 PM
In most cases it is less than 35-40 gallons per hour. I used a lifegard fluidized bed filter and put panty hose over the output side. My pump was a aquarium systems 404 pump. it takes very little to get it to suspend. I must state that the filter was barely open it had a very restricted flow. purigen is very light. If you had a bigger vessel then you may be able to run higher flow rates. but what you are after is contact time not speed.

gators111
07-26-2017, 01:39 PM
I used to use an aquatop 20 reactor and it worked well. I modded the inside with poret foam at the top to keep purigen in. The problem for me was the maintenance. Getting the stuff out, recharging it, rinsing it, etc. Way too much of a hassle. I just rigged up the intake of my magdrive pump with an old micron filter from a HOT Magnum and get the same water clarity results.

100fuegos
07-26-2017, 03:39 PM
This is my diy reactor.

First try made out of 125 mm OD pvc glass for the body and standard pvc for the bottom and top. Most of the plumbing is still dry fitted. Glass pvc body is 50 cm, total size of the unit is 66 cm tall not counting the plumbing. It is running with two liters of Macropore (pretty much the same stuff as Purigen at a fraction of the cost). Nothing is holding the resin inside the reactor, only controlled with the true union ball valve. As you can see flow through is pretty good.

It has been running non stop for almost two months now with absolutely no issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ3rMsOEnRc

Ryan925
07-26-2017, 04:02 PM
This is my diy reactor. Details in video description in YouTube.

https://youtu.be/kQ3rMsOEnRc

Nice job. That's what I was hoping to see was different ways of achieving the same goal

Neptune
07-26-2017, 09:32 PM
This is my diy reactor.

First try made out of 125 mm OD pvc glass for the body and standard pvc for the bottom and top. Most of the plumbing is still dry fitted. Glass pvc body is 50 cm, total size of the unit is 66 cm tall not counting the plumbing. It is running with two liters of Macropore (pretty much the same stuff as Purigen at a fraction of the cost). Nothing is holding the resin inside the reactor, only controlled with the true union ball valve. As you can see flow through is pretty good.

It has been running non stop for almost two months now with absolutely no issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ3rMsOEnRc

Wow nice job, I don't have anything close to that flow rate through mine!

Can you start a thread with parts list and a how to? Looks like better, easier, cheaper than the one I'm planning to build.

pitdogg2
07-26-2017, 10:58 PM
More about the "macropore" i get nothing but soil stuff when googled.

Ryan925
07-26-2017, 11:18 PM
Wow nice job, I don't have anything close to that flow rate through mine!

Can you start a thread with parts list and a how to? Looks like better, easier, cheaper than the one I'm planning to build.

US plastics sells clear pvc pipe and fittings of various sizes

Neptune
07-27-2017, 07:54 AM
More about the "macropore" i get nothing but soil stuff when googled.

http://auburnaquarium.com.au/product.php?id_product=795

pitdogg2
07-27-2017, 02:35 PM
It is running with two liters of Macropore (pretty much the same stuff as Purigen at a fraction of the cost). Nothing is holding the resin inside the reactor.

http://auburnaquarium.com.au/product.php?id_product=795

Maybe Macropore is cheaper in Spain than Purigen. The link provided by Neptune shows it considerable more than I paid for 2L of Purigen. 2L of purigen here is less than 100 dollars U.S.
I bought Purigen from Pet Mountian for 65$ for 2 Liter on sale last year. Makes one wonder who the actual maker is and how it can be bought from them and cut out the middle man.

100fuegos
07-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Unfortunately Macropore is restricted to Australia, I bought it there and brought it with me in my holliday trip to Sydney so that pretty much rule it out. You can see it here (http://www.thetechden.com.au/Macropore_2_Liter_Aquarium_Water_Conditioner_p/mpw2.htm), price is in AUD.

My reactor is pretty simple and cheap, the most expensive part by far is the 125 mm OD clear PVC tube, the rest is standard PVC fittings. Initially I was planning to build two but I do not see the need for the second one now.

pitdogg2
07-28-2017, 08:06 AM
Very nice and cheap as you stated. It must be different than purigen. Purigen will not recharge with salt alone. That seems to be more in line with pura nitrate removing resin. It also recharges with salt.

Yes i have tried to recharge purigen in a brine instead of bleach it did nothing.

Clawhammer
07-28-2017, 09:32 PM
Got mine setup today. Not a great video, I was trying to show the flow put its hard to see. It is currently operating at 30 gph and has 500ml of purigen. I am hoping that I can bump up the flow once the beads get heavier, this is brand new purigen. I significant portion is pressed up against the top (about half).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvIZTd7Hh2w

Neptune
07-28-2017, 09:38 PM
I have not noticed the Purigen getting heavier over time. I always have a certain percent that seems a little lighter than the rest of the material.

Ryan925
07-28-2017, 09:38 PM
Got mine setup today. Not a great video, I was trying to show the flow put its hard to see. It is currently operating at 30 gph and has 500ml of purigen. I am hoping that I can bump up the flow once the beads get heavier, this is brand new purigen. I significant portion is pressed up against the top (about half).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvIZTd7Hh2w

Simple right!! I notice that after they get saturated you have less of the tiny ones flying around. I run it so the top of the mass is like a quarter inch or less below the top the sponge now.

Clawhammer
07-28-2017, 09:45 PM
Simple right!! I notice that after they get saturated you have less of the tiny ones flying around. I run it so the top of the mass is like a quarter inch or less below the top the sponge now.

It wasn't bad at all. I would have to run 10 gph at this point to achieve that level of suspension, but hopefully I will be able to bump it up over time. I wish Seachem made a larger size Purigen bead

Ryan925
07-28-2017, 09:48 PM
Did you add more sponges in there?

Clawhammer
07-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I used some filter floss at the top to prevent the beads from blowing into my sump

pitdogg2
07-28-2017, 11:13 PM
I have not noticed the Purigen getting heavier over time. I always have a certain percent that seems a little lighter than the rest of the material.

It does get heavier as it loads with organics. You are correct that they're some tiny beads as well. I would let those run through to the panty hose over the output of the lifegard 300 fluidized bed i used. I ran 1 liter of purigen in the filter and just tossed the tiny beads as they could be a pita at times.

Bizarro252
07-29-2017, 01:25 AM
I just use it in bags in my canister, and in some HOBs for my other smaller tanks. I have also noticed there is usually some percentage of smaller, lighter beads. They float off when I recharge the Purigen.

I am wondering what sort of benefits you guys running these reactors are seeing, besides the obvious better contact - do you notice it wears out faster, can you see measurable differences in your water? I ask because I love the idea but notice that while in my HOBs I need to rotate it every now and then, in the canisters I see very even color change which at least makes me feel its getting good flow and working well :)

Ryan925
07-29-2017, 01:34 AM
I just use it in bags in my canister, and in some HOBs for my other smaller tanks. I have also noticed there is usually some percentage of smaller, lighter beads. They float off when I recharge the Purigen.

I am wondering what sort of benefits you guys running these reactors are seeing, besides the obvious better contact - do you notice it wears out faster, can you see measurable differences in your water? I ask because I love the idea but notice that while in my HOBs I need to rotate it every now and then, in the canisters I see very even color change which at least makes me feel its getting good flow and working well :)

Too new to tell so far. I have to imagine it's far more efficient than bags as every surface area of every bead has contact with the water. I usually see that the beads in the center of a bag, in a canister, show less

Neptune
07-29-2017, 09:56 AM
It does get heavier as it loads with organics. You are correct that they're some tiny beads as well. I would let those run through to the panty hose over the output of the lifegard 300 fluidized bed i used. I ran 1 liter of purigen in the filter and just tossed the tiny beads as they could be a pita at times.

That makes sense!

pitdogg2
07-29-2017, 03:01 PM
I wish Seachem made a larger size Purigen bead
Seachem is a reseller they do not make it. Across the board they're different resins that scavage different things to my knowledge and experience they are all darn close to the same diameter. There must be a reason for that but i can't explain what it is.

Clawhammer
07-29-2017, 03:08 PM
Seachem is a reseller they do not make it. Across the board they're different resins that scavage different things to my knowledge and experience they are all darn close to the same diameter. There must be a reason for that but i can't explain what it is.

Interesting! Anything more you can tell us about the manufacture of Purigen I am all ears. I tried to research it a little and didn't get very far.

100fuegos
07-29-2017, 04:05 PM
To all, search the net "Purigen without Seachem". Very interesting read.

Neptune
07-29-2017, 04:51 PM
That is a BIG thread over on the Planted Tank and a guy did a lot of work and testing on various replacements.

pitdogg2
07-29-2017, 09:14 PM
Same questions there as is here. Bigger bead. Nope
Water purification exactly as i thought. Like deiononization ani/canti resins takes all but the wet from water and are recharged with acids from my understanding. Not something the normal home owner has much accessibility to. Just can't go dumping a boat load down the drain before the EPA shows up lol.

Bizarro252
07-30-2017, 01:15 AM

The Nitrate resin I use looks identical to purigen, my understanding of resins is the porous plastic bead part is all basically the same, its the goodies inside that are different. I recharge the Nitrate resin with a brine solution, where in purigen it seems more about obliterating the nitrogen compounds it has adsorbed with a strong base (bleach). That in itself is strange to me since most of the reading I did on Nitrate resins (some municipal water treatment plants use it) is to not let it come in contact with water that has chlorine in it still as it damages the beads. I use my resin on water after it has aged overnight for this reason, but the chlorine bleach seems to be fine on purigen, weird stuff :)

pitdogg2
07-30-2017, 01:34 AM
The Nitrate resin I use looks identical to purigen, my understanding of resins is the porous plastic bead part is all basically the same, its the goodies inside that are different. I recharge the Nitrate resin with a brine solution, where in purigen it seems more about obliterating the nitrogen compounds it has adsorbed with a strong base (bleach). That in itself is strange to me since most of the reading I did on Nitrate resins (some municipal water treatment plants use it) is to not let it come in contact with water that has chlorine in it still as it damages the beads. I use my resin on water after it has aged overnight for this reason, but the chlorine bleach seems to be fine on purigen, weird stuff :)

Yes very true. My Pura nitrate removing resin recharged in a strong brine solution. Boy did the water turn brown as it went through the resin. Yet the resin never turned as brown as Purigen did.

abla1958
07-31-2017, 01:54 PM
Nope - I don't restrict the flow. I have the purigen sandwiched between two sponges. There's just enough flow to lift it up.

Ryan925
07-31-2017, 08:56 PM
Found to today after almost a week of running the top of the mass has lowered in the reactor allowing an increase of flow rate. It does make quite a bit of difference once the heads get saturated

Clawhammer
07-31-2017, 09:42 PM
I had taken a break from Purigen six months ago for all my tanks because I got tired of recharging. In addition, the chemi-pure bags I was using did not hold up well to bleaching and basically fell apart, so I had about a liter of the stuff in storage unbagged.

This thread inspired me to build a reactor, but I wanted to use new purigen, so I picked up an additional 500ml. I decided to use a couple 100 micron nylon filter socks as bags for my original liter of purigen and I threw that in a canister. It is a lot of purigen, but it is packed lightly so it can also tumble somewhat within the canister.

I expected the water to be crystal clear with this much purigen, and it was in record time. What I didn't expect was the impact on nitrate production. I had a busy day yesterday and skipped the WC and my nitrates barely moved. The fish are showing great colors. Seachem claims purigen absorbs the organic precursors of the nitrogen cycle and I believe it, especially if used in reactors or high quantities.

Ryan925
07-31-2017, 09:47 PM
I had taken a break from Purigen six months ago for all my tanks because I got tired of recharging. In addition, the chemi-pure bags I was using did not hold up well to bleaching and basically fell apart, so I had about a liter of the stuff in storage unbagged.

This thread inspired me to build a reactor, but I wanted to use new purigen, so I picked up an additional 500ml. I decided to use a couple 100 micron nylon filter socks as bags for my original liter of purigen and I threw that in a canister. It is a lot of purigen, but it is packed lightly so it can also tumble somewhat within the canister.

I expected the water to be crystal clear with this much purigen, and it was in record time. What I didn't expect was the impact on nitrate production. I had a busy day yesterday and skipped the WC and my nitrates barely moved. The fish are showing great colors. Seachem claims purigen absorbs the organic precursors of the nitrogen cycle and I believe it, especially if used in reactors or high quantities.

I have always had crystal clear water but my hopes would be some sort of visual indicators of the reactor being a benefit. Had a few long days so went three days without wc. I typically do every other day. My glass was noticeably cleaner and nitrate was only 5. I typically run about 7.5 in an overstocked tank.

By no way am I claiming this is an exchange for wc but what I did want to see was a noticeable difference between wcs.

pitdogg2
07-31-2017, 11:10 PM
Re: Purigen reactors
I never recharged my purigen in a bag. I found a half gallon glass pickle jar worked best for me. A small wooden dowel rod to stir and your set. Rinse in the jar pour off repeat. Refill use the recommended amount of safe your done. I used a liter of purigen in my lifegard bed filter.

Ryan925
07-31-2017, 11:35 PM
I never recharged my purigen in a bag. I found a half gallon glass pickle jar worked best for me. A small wooden dowel rod to stir and your set. Rinse in the jar pour off repeat. Refill use the recommended amount of safe your done. I used a liter of purigen in my lifegard bed filter.

Good to know. I've always just used a bag in a canister so have always just dumped and replaced rather than recharge. Will be interesting to see recharge schedule in the reactor

Neptune
08-01-2017, 02:46 AM

That's exactly how I do mine! But the wife is always complaining about the jars in the laundry sink all the time! LOL.

pitdogg2
08-01-2017, 07:52 AM
That's exactly how I do mine! But the wife is always complaining about the jars in the laundry sink all the time! LOL.

Great minds think alike:)

Jenene
08-01-2017, 09:04 AM
This has been a great thread Ryan, Thank you. Not only about the reactor but the Purigen as well. I just use a almost liter of it at a time in a bag floating above my media with an air stone tumbling it a bit. It seems to work really well but a reactor might be the next step for me. Wondering what your next project will be? It's always something useful!

Ryan925
08-01-2017, 09:30 AM
This has been a great thread Ryan, Thank you. Not only about the reactor but the Purigen as well. I just use a almost liter of it at a time in a bag floating above my media with an air stone tumbling it a bit. It seems to work really well but a reactor might be the next step for me. Wondering what your next project will be? It's always something useful!

I agree this thread has turned out as intended. Have gotten lots of great into, not only on how others are using the puritan, but also on purigen itself.

My hopes were to show others how simple this could be. I had this in the plans for sometime and once I finally did the installation I realized I was way overthinking it. We even had Eric converted within a couple days of this thread:)

fishbubbles
08-01-2017, 09:17 PM
I just set up a purigen reactor this evening using a phosban 150. I'll post an update in a few days once I see any results.

Neptune
08-01-2017, 09:30 PM
I just set up a purigen reactor this evening using a phosban 150. I'll post an update in a few days once I see any results.

That's what I use, they work great. But I do add extra filter material on the top and bottom to help keep the lighter beads from getting into the sump.

Ryan925
08-01-2017, 09:31 PM
That's what I use, they work great. But I do add extra filter material on the top and bottom to help keep the lighter beads from getting into the sump.

Not a bad idea to put "the bag" over the outlet until those beads start to get weighed down a bit

pitdogg2
08-01-2017, 09:47 PM
Not a bad idea to put "the bag" over the outlet until those beads start to get weighed down a bit

You know the last thread we had on this subject a member posted a link to polyester fine screen he used. IIRC he cut it to size or came the correct size and screen holes were perfect. Be worth a search to see if it comes up.

Ryan925
08-01-2017, 09:52 PM
You know the last thread we had on this subject a member posted a link to polyester fine screen he used. IIRC he cut it to size or came the correct size and screen holes were perfect. Be worth a search to see if it comes up.

I do recall something about that. I had all sorts of plans in mind for that but found I was way overthinking it. It's just about dialing in flow rate. I put a micron sock over outlet during the break in and tuning phase but now I run the reactor just as it came

farebox
08-02-2017, 12:06 AM
I use one of those plastic screened coffee filters clipped to side of sump to catch any loose purigen coming from the reactor output hose. Also use micron 250 mesh cut to same size as the sponges sandwich in between the two to keep the beads contained in the reactor.

fishbubbles
08-02-2017, 06:33 PM

I used some of this material between the sponge and the dispersion plate. Haven't lost a single bead as of yet. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014G7WTRY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This pump turned down to about 80% worked perfectly for me as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWENMAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Clawhammer
08-02-2017, 08:41 PM
I used polyfill which I also use in my canisters. Cheap, easy, and disposable.

pitdogg2
08-02-2017, 09:08 PM
I do recall something about that. I had all sorts of plans in mind for that but found I was way overthinking it. It's just about dialing in flow rate. I put a micron sock over outlet during the break in and tuning phase but now I run the reactor just as it came

Yep i just thought I'd toss it out there. It was worth a mention.

After a few recharge's all the smalls for me are gone I pour them off or they get caught by the panty hose and tossed.

Ryan925
08-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Yep i just thought I'd toss it out there. It was worth a mention.

After a few recharge's all the smalls for me are gone I pour them off or they get caught by the panty hose and tossed.

I noticed today that the purigen still seems to be getting heavier. I can run much more flow than when I initially set up

pitdogg2
08-03-2017, 08:15 AM
I noticed today that the purigen still seems to be getting heavier. I can run much more flow than when I initially set up

Yep it does just do not forget to back it down after the recharge. I can't tell hiw many time that happened to me. Thank god for the panty hose;)

Neptune
08-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Yep it does just do not forget to back it down after the recharge. I can't tell hiw many time that happened to me. Thank god for the panty hose;)

I'm going to have to start paying attention to the sinking! I assumed the lower level of the beads was due to reduced flow as the filter floss plugged up over time.

ya the panty hose deal, Nothing better than walking into the Walgren's and buying 10 pairs when they have their 50% sale!:eek:

Ryan925
08-03-2017, 10:50 AM

Great advice. I would like to think I would have thought of that on my own but I doubt it lol

pitdogg2
08-03-2017, 01:15 PM
I'm going to have to start paying attention to the sinking! I assumed the lower level of the beads was due to reduced flow as the filter floss plugged up over time.
it could also be that I never used any floss

ya the panty hose deal, Nothing better than walking into the Walgren's and buying 10 pairs when they have their 50% sale!:eek:

yep buying a box of knee highs got me some looks let me tell you:)

BABYJIZAY
12-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Hello all..... I am currently setting up a 125 gallon again and will be using an FX6. I also want to utilize a rena filstar filter with a Turbo twist UV filter on the return line, which I already have set up on my old tank.. Could I add a phosban 150 filled with purigen to the return line of the turbo twist? So it would be water goes into Rena -> then UV -> then reactor? Is that the right order? And could I reduce the water flow by stuffing the filstar with foam/floss? The rena is an XP2 for 75gallon tanks and the flow is listed at 300gph which I assume is before anything is in the canister... I have another same size filstar that I could use if it would make more sense to not have the uv as part of the equation. Am I on the right path here? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Clawhammer
12-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Which turbo twist do you have. I think the flow rate for the purigen reactor would be much less than the UV filter, so combining them inline would reduce the effectiveness of the other. My purigen reactor gets 50 gph max. My turbo twist 12x can kill everything (bacteria, algae, parasites) at 600 gph.

Ryan925
12-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Hello all..... I am currently setting up a 125 gallon again and will be using an FX6. I also want to utilize a rena filstar filter with a Turbo twist UV filter on the return line, which I already have set up on my old tank.. Could I add a phosban 150 filled with purigen to the return line of the turbo twist? So it would be water goes into Rena -> then UV -> then reactor? Is that the right order? And could I reduce the water flow by stuffing the filstar with foam/floss? The rena is an XP2 for 75gallon tanks and the flow is listed at 300gph which I assume is before anything is in the canister... I have another same size filstar that I could use if it would make more sense to not have the uv as part of the equation. Am I on the right path here? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I would say you need to tee off the line. Purigen needs a very slow flow rate because it's so light. If you run full flow of your canister through it you will end up with a tank full of purigen. I just added in a tee with a ball valve to the reactor. It has its own return to the display tank

BABYJIZAY
12-03-2017, 04:31 PM
I have the 3x. Guess I will just leave the uv with the rena. I'll use the other rena with the reactor, but What does tee off the line mean?

Ryan925
12-03-2017, 04:53 PM
I have the 3x. Guess I will just leave the uv with the rena. I'll use the other rena with the reactor, but What does tee off the line mean?

Put a tee in your return line after the filter to supply the reactor so you can control flow to it. That way you have the majority of the flow going to the display and only a very small amount of flow through the reactor. You definitely want a valve after that tee for adjustment.

This is what I use

ISTA 2pcs SINGLE Tap connector 16mm Control Valve Quick TAP- HOSEING FILTER Flow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SIS3NAU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vrgjAbH3JH32R

BABYJIZAY
12-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Why can I not find a tee online? I’ve tried Petsolutions Drs Foster Petsmart Petco Petland.... Can someone give me a link? I don’t even know what I am looking for basically. I understand getting the valve which Ryan posted but where do I get a tee? Excuse my ignorance 😫

Ryan925
12-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Why can I not find a tee online? I’ve tried Petsolutions Drs Foster Petsmart Petco Petland.... Can someone give me a link? I don’t even know what I am looking for basically. I understand getting the valve which Ryan posted but where do I get a tee? Excuse my ignorance ��

Depending on your tubing size... I just got a 1/2" barbed tee at home depot. I use hose clamps with it just to be safe

It's grey plastic.

BABYJIZAY
12-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Ok so I used my Rena Filstar XP M filter which has a flow rate of 280 gph. I teed the return and have it flowing into a turbo twist 3 (recommended flow through this is 100 to 200 gph) and the other return going into a phosban reactor 150. I have a valve on the line going into the reactor and it’s cracked about a quarter open. I’ve got 350ml of Purigen in there and it’s tumbling beautifully, it looks like slow motion. Like a lava lamp kinda. This is on a new tank I just set up so I can’t speak to it’s efficiency yet but I’ve kept purigen bags in my canister filters for years so I will be able to at least determine how fast it expires now vs my old way. This is a link showing the almost final version of the plumbing set up https://instagram.com/p/BdCTI3onJlU/

And this is a link to showing the purigen in all its glory. https://instagram.com/p/BdD2vjuH2np/

Hopefully links to IG work. Thank you so much for this post and your help guys! I am excited for how this will become a staple in my set up.