PDA

View Full Version : Sand

Surf&turf
08-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Is reef sand ok for a Discus tank?

Ryan925
08-11-2017, 07:41 PM
I believe reef sand is designed to alter ph correct ?

Pool filter sand is recommend as it's inert

Surf&turf
08-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Ok, thanks. I figured the calcium mix would raise the ph.

Ryan925
08-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Ok, thanks. I figured the calcium mix would raise the ph.

Stable ph is very important in our discus tanks.

I had just some regular pool filter sand from ace hardware previously. I just replaced it with the aqua quartz sand

Surf&turf
08-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Stable ph is very important in our discus tanks.

I had just some regular pool filter sand from ace hardware previously. I just replaced it with the aqua quartz sand

Where did you get the aqua quartz?

Ryan925
08-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Where did you get the aqua quartz?

I'll find the link. Found a pool supply place online that had it for for like half the price of everywhere else

Ryan925
08-11-2017, 07:50 PM
http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com/catalog/product/view/id/22392/s/AquaQuartz-Filter-Silica-Sand/

Surf&turf
08-11-2017, 07:53 PM
http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com/catalog/product/view/id/22392/s/AquaQuartz-Filter-Silica-Sand/

Thanks

Surf&turf
08-11-2017, 08:12 PM
So is sand better than gravel for a substrate?

Ryan925
08-11-2017, 08:16 PM
So is sand better than gravel for a substrate?

Most definitely. Gravel cannot be kept clean enough. Bare bottom is usually recommend for water quality purposes but a thin layer of sand can be kept clean with proper tank maintenance

Surf&turf
08-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Most definitely. Gravel cannot be kept clean enough. Bare bottom is usually recommend for water quality purposes but a thin layer of sand can be kept clean with proper tank maintenance

Thanks

jim LI
08-12-2017, 11:35 AM

+1

AquaWoman
08-12-2017, 02:03 PM
I grew out five Discus with a thin layer of gravel, also had silk plants and driftwood. It's a LOT harder to keep clean but if you Love that look and are willing to vacuum with every water change it can work. I've still got mine and they are 5 and a half to 7+ inches and three years old. There are others here too with successful planted tanks. It's just a TON of work.

Ryan925
08-12-2017, 02:14 PM
I grew out five Discus with a thin layer of gravel, also had silk plants and driftwood. It's a LOT harder to keep clean but if you Love that look and are willing to vacuum with every water change it can work. I've still got mine and they are 5 and a half to 7+ inches and three years old. There are others here too with successful planted tanks. It's just a TON of work.

Yes it can be done in some cases but not advisable for a first time discus keeper. When I had gravel I deep vac'd it every other day with large water changes. I would vac until I saw no more debris being sucked up. When I finally removed the gravel it was astonishing how much crap was in it when I thought it was clean

AquaWoman
08-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Yes it can be done in some cases but not advisable for a first time discus keeper. When I had gravel I deep vac'd it every other day with large water changes. I would vac until I saw no more debris being sucked up. When I finally removed the gravel it was astonishing how much crap was in it when I thought it was clean
I'm a first time Discus keeper. lol I totally understand the concept that BB is easier but saying "gravel cannot be kept clean enough" just doesn't ring true. It's been kept clean enough for my Adult fish who are healthy and huge. I know of many other people who have substrate and they've grown out amazing Fish as well. I have a book on Discus by Dr. Herbert Axelrod and he writes " It is unimportant for rearing the fish whether we set up the tank as a "sanitary" one (without bottom covering) or as an " ornamental" one. " The key is clean water. You most certainly CAN have clean water with substrate IF you're willing to put in all of the extra effort to maintain it. I realize here in this forum BB are more popular but if we are to be honest about Discus Husbandry we should be including those who are successfully keeping Discus in tanks with substrates. BB isn't the only way.

Ryan925
08-12-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm a first time Discus keeper. lol I totally understand the concept that BB is easier but saying "gravel cannot be kept clean enough" just doesn't ring true. It's been kept clean enough for my Adult fish who are healthy and huge. I know of many other people who have substrate and they've grown out amazing Fish as well. I have a book on Discus by Dr. Herbert Axelrod and he writes " It is unimportant for rearing the fish whether we set up the tank as a "sanitary" one (without bottom covering) or as an " ornamental" one. " The key is clean water. You most certainly CAN have clean water with substrate IF you're willing to put in all of the extra effort to maintain it. I realize here in this forum BB are more popular but if we are to be honest about Discus Husbandry we should be including those who are successfully keeping Discus in tanks with substrates. BB isn't the only way.

Again I didn't say it couldn't be done and I didn't say it had to be BB as I recommended a sand to the OP. The recommendations are to give a person the best chance at success. Obviously you have run into troubles during your process and that is what the recommendations are trying to avoid. Fortunately you were able to endure and end up with nice fish. You right water quality is of the utmost importance but substrate has a direct impact on that. Yes there are very successful discus keepers with planted tanks.

I had mine in a tank with black gravel also. Personally I was not happy with the appearance of my fish. I didn't like my fish being darker than they should be and the peppering of the PBs. Some may be but I was not. Changing to white sand made a night and day difference in the appearance of my fish. They all displayed full vibrant colors.

I am only speaking from personal experience and trying to give the best advice I can.

Surf&turf
08-12-2017, 04:39 PM
I appreciate all the advice, it will be sand for me.

AquaWoman
08-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Again I didn't say it couldn't be done and I didn't say it had to be BB as I recommended a sand to the OP. The recommendations are to give a person the best chance at success. Obviously you have run into troubles during your process and that is what the recommendations are trying to avoid. Fortunately you were able to endure and end up with nice fish. You right water quality is of the utmost importance but substrate has a direct impact on that. Yes there are very successful discus keepers with planted tanks.

I had mine in a tank with black gravel also. Personally I was not happy with the appearance of my fish. I didn't like my fish being darker than they should be and the peppering of the PBs. Some may be but I was not. Changing to white sand made a night and day difference in the appearance of my fish. They all displayed full vibrant colors.

I am only speaking from personal experience and trying to give the best advice I can.
I can appreciate your position but thought I should speak up when you made the statement that "gravel cannot be kept clean enough". If the end goal is big beautiful healthy Discus and Aquarists are getting those results with substrate then doesn't that make your statement false? Hope you can see my point. We all want the same thing here, and if there is more than one way to skin a cat shouldn't we share that info? I do agree with the peppering with dark backgrounds and gravel it's also true that our darker, deeper colored fish will appear more washed out with lighter environments. That's simply a matter of personal preference. As a side note, all the trouble my Fish endured were due to less than optimal quarantine practices and had zero to do with my substrate, but that's for another thread. ;)

AquaWoman
08-12-2017, 07:49 PM
I appreciate all the advice, it will be sand for me.
Good Luck and share pics.
:D

Surf&turf
08-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Good Luck and share pics.
:D
Thank you, I will.

Jack L
08-13-2017, 09:28 PM
i used quickcrete sand/gravel mix. it needed a ton of rinsing, but was VERY cheap and i prefer the look of it over PFS. you can look at my tank in the tank journal section.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?120839-Jack-s-140&p=1271385#post1271385

Surf&turf
08-14-2017, 06:11 PM
i used quickcrete sand/gravel mix. it needed a ton of rinsing, but was VERY cheap and i prefer the look of it over PFS. you can look at my tank in the tank journal section.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?120839-Jack-s-140&p=1271385#post1271385

Thanks Jack, I like the look.

AquaWoman
08-14-2017, 10:52 PM
Thanks Jack, I like the look.

+1
Impressive!

JamesW
08-15-2017, 09:11 PM
This sand is expensive but awesome: Estes Marine Sand (also known as Stoney River, Ultra Reef, and National Geographic)

I wish I had splurged and got it for all of my substrate instead of a mixture.

Ryan925
08-15-2017, 09:14 PM
This sand is expensive but awesome: Estes Marine Sand (also known as Stoney River, Ultra Reef, and National Geographic)

I wish I had splurged and got it for all of my substrate instead of a mixture.

Does that marine sand have any but impact on water params?

Filip
08-17-2017, 03:42 AM
Quartz silica white PFS sand , grain size 0.3-0.8 mm is most suitable for discus IMO , OP.
Thinner and more compact the bottom layer is , less problems with bacterial counts and water quality issues you will have .
Lighter the colour is , discus will camouflage with it and will appear brighter , regardless of the strain PBs or not.

Surf&turf
08-17-2017, 06:18 AM
Quartz silica white PFS sand , grain size 0.3-0.8 mm is most suitable for discus IMO , OP.
Thinner and more compact the bottom layer is , less problems with bacterial counts and water quality issues you will have .
Lighter the colour is , discus will camouflage with it and will appear brighter , regardless of the strain PBs or not.

Thanks!

JamesW
08-18-2017, 01:43 AM
Does that marine sand have any but impact on water params?
I believe the sand particles are individually coated so are inert. My pH is 7.2 in tank and aging barrel so I believe the coating is effective.