PDA

View Full Version : My 75 gal discus tank

Darb
08-22-2017, 12:51 AM
Figured i would start a journal of my tank its a 75 gal that currently has 8 Discus from around 5-4". Doing roughly 50% water changes 3-4 times a week and have a small school of black neons and a couple plecos. Ph is stable at 7.6-7.8 and i let the water age for 24hrs before changing.

I kept discus years ago probably late 90s early 00's and must say was doing it wrong back then haha. Its fun getting back into them but have had some issues mostly with the white poop or not wanting to eat. Currently I have 2 that just dont seem to want to eat they appear interested but dont bite. Upping the water changes and may try some salt i dont wanna hit the metro right away just in case.

The tank itself is planted lightly and had eco complete which is getting changed over to sand. Only other thing is a snail problem i have been fighting which seems like forever.

Im trying to upload photos but they dont want to on my phone.

https://goo.gl/photos/hVe2gCKaQ41o4pEz8

jmf3460
08-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Good morning Brad, and welcome to SD. Your tank looks beautiful. It seems you are on the right track with your maintenance, although upping your water changes to daily would help. Could you perhaps do a 40% water change daily? Your discus appear to be adults so that is really good for the planted tank, its nearly impossible to raise juveniles in a planted tank.

With your two that are lagging behind, I would suspect that these are your two lowest fish in the hierarchy. Some would argue, but I think your tank is overstocked. I have 6 adults in a 75 and need to go bigger, 8 would be a disaster for me, they fight enough as is.

Do you have any pictures of the white poop? It may be hex, which is very easy to treat with metronidazole. You can purchase this from Angels plus for fairly cheap. http://www.angelsplus.com/MedsAntibiotic.htm

First we need to be sure its not something else before we go with treatments. For now, I suggest you up your water changes to daily and monitor the situation.

Darb
08-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Thanks Jacklyn! I know im at the edge of my stocking and have been thinking of going to a 120-125 also to add a few more fish haha. Not sure of a taller tank or a longer tank would be better and I will try doing daily water changes to see what the results are.
For the poop I will get a pic but its not segmented or solid white just long strands of translucent white, almost like an empty sausage casing.

jmf3460
08-22-2017, 09:42 AM
empty sausage casing does sound like hex. do you have a hospital tank for the affected fish?

as for a bigger tank, longer is always always better than taller for discus, they prefer more horizontal swimming room rather than vertical.

Darb
08-22-2017, 11:54 AM
I need to set up a quarantine and or growout tank still. Thinking a 30 or 40 should work well. As for a new tank im really leaning towards a 125 just need to make sure my floor can handle the weight. Currently I have an fx4 on this tank which is probably pushing it on a 125 but thinking of just adding an aquaclear 110 to help and fill it with bio material.

QuestionIi do have for anyone is any ideas for a prefilter on the fx4 intake?