PDA

View Full Version : Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

zhuls1
08-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Hello simply discus members, I am considering buying 6 discus (maybe stendker? or possibly IP discus?) and have a 40g aquarium (I use metric normally, but will use imperial because I know that's what most on this forum use) and was wondering if that would be suitable? I know most recommend 55g minimum, but will they likely turn out ok in a 40g? I was considering purchasing 3" - 3.5" discus. If this tank is of a suitable size, would 80% waterchange every other day be sufficient? If not, maybe up to 90% 4-5 times a week? All input is appreciated.

Secondly, I know many use the python water change system. I personally have always been a bit paranoid about using such a system because of a fear of harming my fish from chlorine. I know this is probably a bit irrational, as they would only be exposed to chlorine for a short period of time if at all. Anyway, my question is this, with a python water change system I assume you add the water ager before adding the tap water through the python. (providing the tap water is good enough that it doesnt need aging) Would this be correct?

Also, in regards to the python, I have seen youtube videos of people who use both hot and cold water from their tap to get the desired temperature. Is this safe? I was just concerned about the heavy metals that could be present from a hot water system, particularly copper in the pipe and wondering if it would negatively impact the discus or if a decent water ager should remove those metals?

In terms of waterchanges, I would use a thick hose going directly outside to drain the tank and the pyhon system to fill it back up. Do you think this would be an effective method to minimise time required for waterchanges? Would half an hour be a reasonable estimate of time to do such a large waterchange with this system? Just trying to make sure I could fit it in with work and stuff like that. Any other suggestions to reduce the time taken for waterchanges?

Finally, I plan on feeding the discus frozen homemade beefheart mix 2 - 3 times a day and using an auto feeder, feed a pellet or flake maybe 2 times a day. Would this be a suitable feeding schedule?

Thanks in advanced for all the help, I appreciate it.

White Worm
08-28-2017, 11:22 PM
6 young discus would do fine in a 40g for a little bit but you will find it to be a challenge as they get older and larger. I would wait until you have what you need to accommodate the discus throughout there life. 55g would be ok but a 75g would be ideal. Take a look in the sponsor section here and many will send you pictures of the actual fish you are buying. 80% every other day would be fine. Some will preach 200% a day but you will know what is ideal by the way your discus act. Many use tap water for water changes and yes, you put the conditioner in before you put the new water in. Prime is a great water conditioner. However you can get the water from the source to the tank is up to you. You can only fill as fast as the faucet will supply water. You will be able to see how much time it takes you once you do it. The food sounds fine. Read a lot here in the sticky's because much of this basic info is in those threads. You really need to do your research before you jump in. I don't believe you are ready and this is not a cheap/easy hobby. You have to really know what you are doing and prepare before you take on discus.

zhuls1
08-29-2017, 02:08 AM
thnks for the info. I think you have misunderstood what i had said about the tap though. I know that it is ok to use tap water for raising discus, i was just wondering if it was safe to use the hot water or wether it would have too many heavy metals. once again, thnks for your help.

discuspaul
08-29-2017, 02:30 AM
If you haven't already done so, Zac, I believe it would helpful to give you a better understanding of discus' needs by viewing 'watch this video' - the second sticky in this beginner section - along with reading my beginner's guide - the last sticky here.

Best of luck to you !

zhuls1
08-29-2017, 07:35 AM
thanks for the advice Paul. However i already have read both your guide and the watch this video (I have actually watched it a few times) and really enjoyed Als presentation. For the most part, I was looking for assurance that the waterchange and feeding schedule sounded reasonable. Also, I was a little unsure about the tank size as most threads say minimum 50 - 55g tank, however I have read some where the discus were grown out in a 40g. Thnks for the advice.

currently, I have no where to put another tank (Unfortunately) so I cannot buy a larger tank at this present time. However, I am likely going to be moving in the not too distant future. Even if I do not move in time for the discus, I can always pass them on to a new home and will have gained experience in raising discus for when I can get a larger/more tanks.

Ryan925
08-29-2017, 09:19 AM
thnks for the info. I think you have misunderstood what i had said about the tap though. I know that it is ok to use tap water for raising discus, i was just wondering if it was safe to use the hot water or wether it would have too many heavy metals. once again, thnks for your help.

Nothing wrong with using hot water

zhuls1
08-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Thankyou Ryan!

zhuls1
08-30-2017, 01:28 AM
What do you think of these discus? They are quite cheap but there imported from forrest and chan.
- https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/como/fish/new-chan-and-forest-discus-shipment-for-sale/1155616859

Ryan925
08-30-2017, 02:00 AM
Are you close enough to pay them a visit and see them in person? All my fish are Forrest's via Kenny

zhuls1
08-30-2017, 04:52 AM
No unfortunately. They are in perth which is the complete opposite side of Australia. It would be a bit of a drive to pay them a visit (-: (about 48hrs to perth according to google maps). I live in Bundaberg and there really isnt much thats decent around here. And I dont think theres any australian sponsors on simply discus. I think my options basically are limited to buying them online from Sydney Discus World, Living Reef Aquariums or ordering them in from my LFS. I got a quote from my lfs, it would be about $100 - $445 each for 5 - 9cm stendker or ip discus depending on size. I could order some stendker solid fire red 7cm from my lfs for about $200 - $250 each. Does anyone know if Rod still imports or breeds discus?

Ryan925
08-30-2017, 09:56 AM
You should ask Joe "two utes." He is also in Australia and he has some amazing fish that he grew out

Second Hand Pat
08-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Just joined and peddling your junk. Obviously affiliated with them.....

He is gone and please report any similar posts.
Pat

zhuls1
08-31-2017, 04:07 AM
So, today I talked to a marine biologist and aquaculturist about what factors reduce fish growth. After telling him that many here suggested bacteria, he told me that bacteria doesnt inhibit fidh growth but rather dissolved organics do. I also talked to some other people about, read several forums and studys and came to my own conclusion as to what causes a reduction in the growth of discus.

A higher PH inhibits the discus's ability to produce a slime coat. The slime coat is crucial in protecting the fish from bacterial infection. This, in turn stresses the fish, increasing its blood cortisol level. Cortisol reduces growth in fish. So to compensate, discus keepers on this forum try to reduce bacteria as much as possible by performing large, frequent water changes. When it comes to many of the other fish keepers I have talked to, they use RO water with a lower PH with much success. There fish, would have a better slime coat and therefor could tolerate a bit more bacteria.

Anyone think this hypothesis is reasonable?
Disagree? Please explain your thoughts. I really would like to know why doing frequent waterchanges is going to lead to the largest possible discus?
Thnks
Zac

Jenene
08-31-2017, 05:12 AM
From what I understand water changes also reduce pathogens that build up in the water as well as the products of bacterial break down. The pathogens and bacteria can enter the fish in ways other than through the skin such as cuts or ingesting them while feeding I would think. Thinking the slime coat would protect them completely is an interesting concept but remembering water enters their gills and digestive system puts a different spin on it IMO.

zhuls1
08-31-2017, 05:29 AM
The slime coat protects against pathogens, bacteria also enters the gills of other fish and doesn't cause a reduction in growth. Don't know about digestive system, and yes, cuts can cause infection. could it be a combination of reduced slime coat and increased pathogens and bacteria that causes a problem for discus in tap water without regular water changes?
Several people on this forum have claimed that bacteria somehow reduces growth in discus but no one has explained WHY bacteria would or could reduce growth in discus.

adrian31@outlook.com
08-31-2017, 08:33 AM
From my reading on the topic I understand that water PH does indeed have an effect on their health and growth. Discus in the wild live in low PH water which is also very clean/fresh as they have a mind-boggling supply of clean water (google that). Because of this they have a low tolerance when brought into higher PH water which cultivates greater number of non-native pathogens. I think one important thing to consider is that Discus aren't selectively bred to be robust/tolerant to disease, but for their aesthetic appeal, else they would look very different these days.

zhuls1
08-31-2017, 08:49 AM
Also, anyone heard of or used the hydra stream filter? Do they work very well or just a gimmick?

zhuls1
08-31-2017, 08:51 AM
I undestand that the water where they come from is pristine, but what I was trying to find out is what it is in the water that reduces growth rates and how it reduces growth rates. But I do appreciate your input.

zhuls1
08-31-2017, 09:45 AM
If I was to maintain a lower PH, Would that mean I wouldn't have to do as many water changes?

bluelagoon
08-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Think of it as flushing the toilet and your discus will be fine.Keep it simple and change lots of water.Slim coats,feces and urine,other wastes,the list goes on.

Ryan925
08-31-2017, 11:11 AM
If I was to maintain a lower PH, Would that mean I wouldn't have to do as many water changes?

Many people come here, prior getting to discus, trying to find a way to not do water changes and have success. Many of them fail. To have success you need to be committed and have the understanding that the bottom line is they need lots of clean fresh water. If there was a way to not do so many water changes it would be well documented and widely used. We don't change lots of water because we enjoy it. Simply it's a necessity.

If you want to do as few water changes as possible then get a really large tank and have it greatly understocked with adult discus. Adult discus don't require as much feeding or wcs but nonetheless they still need clean water.

adrian31@outlook.com
08-31-2017, 11:29 AM
When I first registered here not too long ago I too had questions about water changes and factors that limit Discus' growth and some members were nice enough to go into some detailed explanations. Little did I know that the list of people coming before me asking these same questions was long. Once I realized that I found quite a few past threads here on these topics. This site has a wealth of information.

adrian31@outlook.com
08-31-2017, 11:52 AM
I undestand that the water where they come from is pristine, but what I was trying to find out is what it is in the water that reduces growth rates and how it reduces growth rates. But I do appreciate your input.

Hi Zac,
I don't know the answer to that myself. But I compare it to any other animal that grows up in less than optimal conditions and is more or less 'sick' for half its life will not grow to it's full potential. When you compare this to Discus growing up in a maxed tank with substrate which receives 1 or 2 WC per week, they may survive but if you could somehow measure their actual health they'd be categorized as mildy 'sick' during that period of time.

zhuls1
08-31-2017, 11:55 AM
I was just asking because I have met a few people who had sucess keeping discus with weekly waterchanges using ro and low PH. And many of them recommend that I use a RO filter.

White Worm
08-31-2017, 12:03 PM
Yes, there is a benefit to lower pH and using some RO but when you talk about successful people, it probably depends on their initial source of water (quality), stocking levels, filtering, size of tank, etc. You can't base it off of just hearing that someone did well with RO water and a lower pH. Many also chase pH levels with chemicals which is a bad idea. There are so many factors that effect health in any animal. They are in a glass box of water swimming in their own waste...... Hop in a jacuzzi with RO water and go #1 and #2 for a couple days. I'll bet you want to change the water rather quickly.

adrian31@outlook.com
08-31-2017, 12:06 PM
I was just asking because I have met a few people who had sucess keeping discus with weekly waterchanges using ro and low PH. And many of them recommend that I use a RO filter.

I started with my first batch of Discus a little over a year ago and I can now say it takes longer than a year to truly learn about their care. Experience is necessary. You could certainly try that but if you're just starting off my advice would be to get your feet wet; learn all the Discus-keeping rules and follow them as best you can. After you have had success then you can start experimenting and modifying those rules.

zhuls1
09-02-2017, 09:04 AM
I think I finally found something that makes sense as to why discus require lots of water changes. "The water temp is 28-31 ph 4.2 to 6 generally, why you ask do we run our pH at 6.4-6.5 because ammonia at pH of 6.4 is actually the less lethal form ammonium and also in nature the mineral content is much lower" (I found this on livingreef aquariums website). This is finally something I can understand and believe. What is everyone elses thoughts on this?

adrian31@outlook.com
09-02-2017, 10:59 AM
I think I finally found something that makes sense as to why discus require lots of water changes. "The water temp is 28-31 ph 4.2 to 6 generally, why you ask do we run our pH at 6.4-6.5 because ammonia at pH of 6.4 is actually the less lethal form ammonium and also in nature the mineral content is much lower" (I found this on livingreef aquariums website). This is finally something I can understand and believe. What is everyone elses thoughts on this?

Make sense to me, but just so you know my water PH is 6.8 out of tap and 6.4 after 24hrs, I keep my water at 83F, and I still need to do at least 50% WC when my tank is maxed and feeding >/= 2x per day.

White Worm
09-02-2017, 11:32 AM
I think you have it backwards. Ammonium is converted to ammonia at higher pH levels (Alkaline) which is toxic to fish. Ammonia is converted to ammonium at lower pH levels which is less harmful to fish (Acidic). Discus are found in waters with pH 4.0-7.0. Those waters are soft and virtually free of iron, sodium, magnesium and calcium. That's why people like to use RO filtering because it removes salt, fluoride, lead, manganese, iron, and calcium from tap water. Problem is that it is non-selective and also removes beneficial minerals that can be added back in manually. For your water changes, you would want to use 80% RO / 20% Tap water and add back the beneficial minerals using something like RO right. People are better off changing 100% or doing multiple (4-5) 30% changes a day with aged (aerated and treated water) so that all toxicity can be removed. Problem with massive water changes is that I think there is very little nitrogen cycle or collection of beneficial bacteria but then again, its not needed with such water turn-over.

Neptune
09-02-2017, 11:44 AM
But it's not just an ammonia issue. Ammonia just doesn't remove itself from the water..nothing is created or destroyed only changed.
Ammonia goes somewhere and its nitrite and nitrate. Nitrate is also a limiting factor for potential growth. AHHHH a WC will lower that!
AND one thing very few talk about because most FW folks don't measure it..REDOX.

It's the same REDOX in the current antiOXIDANT craze in humans...How do you get better REDOX levels....nice clean water, and a UV sterilizer helps a lot.

Paul Sabucchi
09-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Part of the problem is that probably there is no single limiting factor to discus growth so probably there is no magic bullett single solution (except of course for what has been proven to work: good genes, good water and goid food -I am a newbie and will stick to this mantra). Probably we still have a limited understanding of the complex Amazonian ecosystem, the hydrodinamics of the tributaries, lakes and rivers alone are mind boggling, as are the changes between dry and wet season. Contrary to what is commonly said though these acidic waters are not devoid of bacteria, that (although marginally less abundant than the avarage for comparable waterways elsewhere) still form the "foundations" of the foodchain and without them there probably would be little life in the waterways of the amazon basin. Having said this probably these bacteria are adapted to the extreme water water parameters and less likely to "make themselves at home" inside the fish's body. But this is probably only one small aspect of the factors involved in affecting fish growth. Also we are talking about maximizing fish growth but I don't believe that in the Amazon all of the fry grow to dinner plate size. We are talking about obtaining totally artificial results by employing totally artificial methods so trying to emulate (part of) the conditions found in the original environment may not yeld the best results.

Jenene
09-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Paul, that makes the most sense of anything I have see as far as rationalization. Well said. Thank you for your effort there. ;)

zhuls1
10-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Ok, I will be moving house in a few weeks and therefore will have enough room for a larger tank. Now, I am pretty commited to getting discus. My aim will be to grow discus out as large as possible as quickly as I possibly can. I have read a lot of posts suggesting that a smaller tank allows the discus find food easier / less swimming room which therefor results in faster growth. However, wouldn't smaller tank also mean slightly lower water quality (a little less diluted)? Anyway, currently I own a 3' tank and planning to purchase a tank that will be 120cm * 45cm * 45cm (which I believe is a standard 55g tank for those that use imperial). If I were to buy discus that were 5 - 7 cm (2 - 2.5 inch), would it be better to keep them in the smaller 3' tank for a few months than move them to the 4' tank, or just put them in the 4' straight away? Everyones opinions are always appreciated.

Secondly, I plan on doing daily water changes of 50% (maybe bigger, depends what the waters like and if I have to age it), I understand that more food generally = faster growth. More food also = more pollution, and was wondering at what point would the pollution outway the benefits of more food? I know a definite answer is not possible as there are many variables at play here, but where do you think the growth of discus will plateau in terms of feedings? I will only be able to feed beefheart maybe 2 - 3 times a day consistently, maybe more on occasion. I am planning on having an auto feeder will pellets or flakes feeding them a couple of times a day, I would like input on how many times a day the auto feeder should feed them with my waterchange schedule to produce the largest discus?

I know that non of these questions have definitive answers and i am not looking for someone to dictate to me how to care for my discus, but I am investing a lot in these fish and would like to make sure i get it right the first time. I truly do appreciate and take into consideration your experience, advice and opinions, and ultimately, hope to join the others on this forum with their stunning discus and have some beautiful discus of my own.

zhuls1
10-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Furthermore, I know I have asked this before but does anyone have advice on where to get discus in Australia? I dont think theres any sponsors over here and am a little stuck as to where I should purchase them. I know they are not a sponsor, but has anyone had experience with living reef aquariums or sydney discus world? Would you recommend buying from them? Alternatively my LFS could order in 7cm stendker discus or ip discus from aquarium industries. Aquarium industries is the only imported of stendker discus here in Australia, but I dont know what they are like, has anyone bought stendker discus in Australia? I do not want to end up with stunted discus. Anyone reccomend a local breeder? Feel a little left out here in Australia, doesnt seem to be a lot in terms of advice as to where to buy my discus. Also, the cost of purchasing 7cm fire red stendker discus will be about $200 - $250 each, which is a bit on the costly side for small discus. If I were to go with ip discus I could get some small discus for about $100 - $150, that seems alot cheaper, what would you reccomend? Anyone from Australia here that can help? Thnks again

Filip
10-05-2017, 02:46 AM
Furthermore, I know I have asked this before but does anyone have advice on where to get discus in Australia? I dont think theres any sponsors over here and am a little stuck as to where I should purchase them. I know they are not a sponsor, but has anyone had experience with living reef aquariums or sydney discus world? Would you recommend buying from them? Alternatively my LFS could order in 7cm stendker discus or ip discus from aquarium industries. Aquarium industries is the only imported of stendker discus here in Australia, but I dont know what they are like, has anyone bought stendker discus in Australia? I do not want to end up with stunted discus. Anyone reccomend a local breeder? Feel a little left out here in Australia, doesnt seem to be a lot in terms of advice as to where to buy my discus. Also, the cost of purchasing 7cm fire red stendker discus will be about $200 - $250 each, which is a bit on the costly side for small discus. If I were to go with ip discus I could get some small discus for about $100 - $150, that seems alot cheaper, what would you reccomend? Anyone from Australia here that can help? Thnks again

Shoot PM to "two utes" and "Sayid" regarding this matter . They are members of our forum from Australia and Joe - "two utes" has some (Literally :) ) award winning discus . Maybe they can help you .

zhuls1
10-05-2017, 06:31 AM
Thanks Filip, I have PM'd them. as to living reef aquariums discus, this is a advertisement they posted on gumtree https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burleigh-waters/fish/new-discus-arrivals-/1161084418, Do you think they are of decent quality? Based off of what I have seen from this forum, I would say that probably 3/4 look ok but some are stunted (big eyes), would anyone agree? Just don't trust myself to judge the quality of discus yet.

Filip
10-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Thanks Filip, I have PM'd them. as to living reef aquariums discus, this is a advertisement they posted on gumtree https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burleigh-waters/fish/new-discus-arrivals-/1161084418, Do you think they are of decent quality? Based off of what I have seen from this forum, I would say that probably 3/4 look ok but some are stunted (big eyes), would anyone agree? Just don't trust myself to judge the quality of discus yet.

They all loook good to me from pics 1 to 10 from the album Zac . No stunted or deformed discus IMO . Its normal for young discus to have bigger eyes and more pointed bodies than adults .

zhuls1
10-05-2017, 09:29 AM
They all loook good to me from pics 1 to 10 from the album Zac . No stunted or deformed discus IMO . Its normal for young discus to have bigger eyes and more pointed bodies than adults .

Ok, thankyou. In that case I might buy the discus from them. once again thanks everyone for the advice.

zhuls1
10-06-2017, 08:14 AM
I have asked about the Ocean free hydra before, but no one seems to have responded. I have not been able to find a lot of reviews on it, but the few that I can find have been very positive. I am considering giving it a try. I am still a little sceptical about it but we can only learn, who knows, maybe it will impress me.

zhuls1
10-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Gold fish with discus? Thoughts? I know there have been some threads on this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7_nXFvVos and the response was mostly negative. I think Al made a good point with goldfish being parasite smorgasbords, but if I were to guarantee all my fish were 100% parasite free, is there any real reason this wouldn't work? I understand some peoples concern with the temp differential between discus and goldfish but this is explained in the video. Besides that, in the summer goldfish up here would have to bear 30°+ temps anyway (unless you had a chiller, and i haven't met any locals with chillers on their goldfish tanks) and seem to do ok. I dont really see why they wouldn't reduce nutrients, as long as your not feeding more no more nutrients are going into the tank in the first place. However, some of the waste from the discus will be used to allow the goldfish to grow and hence nutrients that are removed from the system before they even break down. Anyone thoughts on what impact this would make?

zhuls1
10-10-2017, 12:54 AM
One of the sources I am looking at buying tony tan discus from maintain a very low ph, of about 6.5. My tap water PH is close to 8. If I were to purchase fish there, would I be able to drip acclimate them to my tap water? I suspect that it would be to big of a difference to just drip acclimate them, but it would be good if I could. If I cant, how would you suggest going about adding them? Perhaps using RO water with a ph of 6.5 then slowly adding tap water to the ro over a period of a couple of weeks?

Filip
10-10-2017, 04:52 AM
Zac , Goldfish won't feed on discus poop , theyll eat the food just like your discus . They are greedy eaters and they poop and create a lot of waste. The only benefit you might get from them is sand hoovering , but we ussualy do that anyway when we siphon the bottom during the water changes .

For introducing Tans discus i think tjat it would be good idea if you can lower your PH using RO water for the initial introduction .Than you can gradually raise it back to 8.0 during your next 2-3 water changes raising 0.5 Degree with each WC.

zhuls1
10-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Ok, thanks Filip.

zhuls1
10-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Would it be abolutely necessary to use RO water? I will buy an RO unit if I have to but would rather not as its quite a bit of money to spend just to use for a few waterchanges before I use plain tap. would peat in the filter work with normal tap? Just to acclimate the fish, not permanently. That way as the peat runs out the PH should slowly raise. Any other methods of acclimating? Just trying to minimise unnecessary costs as much as possible.

Thanks again
Zac

Filip
10-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Would it be abolutely necessary to use RO water? I will buy an RO unit if I have to but would rather not as its quite a bit of money to spend just to use for a few waterchanges before I use plain tap. would peat in the filter work with normal tap? Just to acclimate the fish, not permanently. That way as the peat runs out the PH should slowly raise. Any other methods of acclimating? Just trying to minimise unnecessary costs as much as possible.

Thanks again
Zac

No need to buy RO just for introduction Zac. I thought you already had one when you asked about lowering pH.
I doubt that you can achieve lower and stable pH with just using peat , but go ahead and test it before your discus arrive . I ussualy do 100% WC 24 hours before the introduction.

And if you are buying your discus from a local supplier , they should be already adjusted to his water before they arrive in your tank.
Its best to match your parameters with the supplier , rather than with tans water parameters .

zhuls1
10-15-2017, 07:34 PM
Ok, so I have ordered 8 white Butterfly discus. Just a quick question, is it ok to feed them red pigment or are they like yellows and best fed foods without yellow pigment? From what I have read it sounds like they are like the yellows in the no red camp but I thought I would just check.

ssevasta
10-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Ok, so I have ordered 8 white Butterfly discus. Just a quick question, is it ok to feed them red pigment or are they like yellows and best fed foods without yellow pigment? From what I have read it sounds like they are like the yellows in the no red camp but I thought I would just check.
No you’ll be fine with red pigment. I have white pigeons with golden San merahs and the red pigment in many of the foods I feed doesn’t affect the white pigeonbloods.

zhuls1
10-17-2017, 12:39 AM
Ok, thanks

zhuls1
10-18-2017, 04:02 AM
I have recieved my discus, and they look absolutely amazing. Phone camera doesn't do them any justice.112888112889112890

Filip
10-18-2017, 04:31 AM
I tottaly agree Zac . They look more than amazing :) .I would have bought a couple more for my self because they look great .

zhuls1
10-18-2017, 05:00 AM
Yes, and so far, even though they had only been in the tank for about 2 hours they are already eating, I just had to feed them as they were begging me for food lol. Even after being a bag flown halfway across QLD.

zhuls1
10-27-2017, 11:41 PM
Hey all, my discus have been very skittish and was just wondering if this would be normal 10 days in? are they just adjusting still or do you think there is another problem. They tend to hide alot of the time and are quite heavily peppered where the stress bars would normally be (I know pidgeon bloods don't really get stress bars) I have a white foam under the tank and a kind of dark blue background at the back. Before I had no background with off white walls and they were still quite dark, Is this environmental, stress or are they still adapting to the new water? They are eating well (at times they seem like little pirahnas, even eating out of my hand.) but dart around the tank every now and then. I have 7 in a 180l tank doing 50% daily waterchanges. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all at 0. I feed between 4 - 8 times a day (try to keep to the upper side of this, but at times only get about 4 feedings due to being busy.) What do you suggest?

Filip
10-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Hey all, my discus have been very skittish and was just wondering if this would be normal 10 days in? are they just adjusting still or do you think there is another problem. They tend to hide alot of the time and are quite heavily peppered where the stress bars would normally be (I know pidgeon bloods don't really get stress bars) I have a white foam under the tank and a kind of dark blue background at the back. Before I had no background with off white walls and they were still quite dark, Is this environmental, stress or are they still adapting to the new water? They are eating well (at times they seem like little pirahnas, even eating out of my hand.) but dart around the tank every now and then. I have 7 in a 180l tank doing 50% daily waterchanges. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all at 0. I feed between 4 - 8 times a day (try to keep to the upper side of this, but at times only get about 4 feedings due to being busy.) What do you suggest?

If they dart around randomly ,without sudden movement or light in the room stressing them , there might be something that's been bothering them . Maybe something in water or maybe some pathogens on their skin .
I would try my hand first with beter water quality and bigger WCs just to rule that out .
7 - 4-5" discus in a 40 gallon is a little bit of pushing it , and maybe you need biger changes until you filter catch up with the current bioload.

Gregkarr09
11-05-2017, 04:25 PM
They look awesome! Good luck!

zhuls1
11-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Just as a bit of an update, my discus are going well and will be upggrading their tank to a 120g.

JimmyBanks
01-07-2018, 09:04 PM
I’m considering getting into the discus scene as well. Out of curiousity, where did you end up getting your fish from. I’m down in Melbourne and I’m not sure where I’m going to be sourcing the discus from yet.

zhuls1
01-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Hey Jimmy, as I mentioned in your other posts, I got my discus from Gold Coast Discus. Search his facebook group if interested.

JimmyBanks
01-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Hey Jimmy, as I mentioned in your other posts, I got my discus from Gold Coast Discus. Search his facebook group if interested.

Sorry didn’t realise that was you who suggested Gold Coast. I sent a request today to join the FB group. Cheers.

two utes
01-21-2018, 02:43 AM
I have recieved my discus, and they look absolutely amazing. Phone camera doesn't do them any justice.112888112889112890

Looks like you are well and truly into discus now and congratulations on your fine purchase. Seems like you have done loads of research which will hold you in good steed.
Interested to see updated photos of your group and set up.
Enjoy growing them out and best of luck

zhuls1
01-21-2018, 03:04 AM
Thanks joe, have had them for about 3 months now. The other day I saw another local hobbyists discus, one of his was about the size I got mine at, I can't believe they were so tiny just a few short months ago. As an update, they are now in a 120g tank with a 40g sump. I am ordering and additional 4 starlight galaxy turquoise discus and 4 reflection deep discus, currently I am changing 50% of the tanks water a day and will probably continue this routine for the future. I am changing my filter socks every other day.

two utes
01-21-2018, 03:07 AM
Thanks joe, have had them for about 3 months now. The other day I saw another local hobbyists discus, one of his was about the size I got mine at, I can't believe they were so tiny just a few short months ago. As an update, they are now in a 120g tank with a 40g sump. I am ordering and additional 4 starlight galaxy turquoise discus and 4 reflection deep discus, currently I am changing 50% of the tanks water a day and will probably continue this routine for the future. I am changing my filter socks every other day.

Glad to hear its all working out for you...just be careful with introducing other fish. Would be good to see some pictures when you have a moment...We like pictures here ;)

zhuls1
01-21-2018, 03:42 AM
Trying to upload pics, keeps saying upload failed :(

zhuls1
01-21-2018, 03:56 AM
https://imagebin.ca/v/3owGLv0RtAhW Here is a photo of one of my discus. This particular discus doesn't have the greatest fore head but I couldn't seem to get a clear side on shot so went with this one. They were sold as 2.5" discus when I bought them. Will post more pics after the new lot are quarantined and added to the tank. The new fish will be from the same source, very excited to get them.

two utes
01-21-2018, 04:00 AM
Trying to upload pics, keeps saying upload failed :(

Try reducing the size of your pics and tray again.

zhuls1
01-21-2018, 06:34 AM
I shared a link to the image, all ready for a feeding of beefheart. Finally made a recipe that is relatively mess free.

Filip
01-23-2018, 08:43 AM
The discus on the photo looks great Zac .
Post a full tank pic please . We want to see the rest of them too :) .
I feel like this blue light you have does not match perfectly with your White butterflies though .

zhuls1
02-13-2018, 08:23 AM
Hey Filip, the lights on the tank are not blue, it just appears blue in the photo. I'm not too sure why that is, wether its the blue background or maybe settings on my camera, maybe I should colour correct the image. Anyway, I do plan on adding some greenery to my tank. I saw a post a while ago where the member had used drinking glasses as pots for his plants. this looked really cool and i am leaning towards borrowing this idea for my own tank. Anyway, I don't want to reveal my tank to the world until i am happy with it's appearance. It is currently completely bare, but I do want it looking nice and pretty before I share images of the whole tank. https://imagebin.ca/v/3rYx1HrdPMKI https://imagebin.ca/v/3rYwsXqywbus I can't believe that just 3 short months ago when I got my white butterfly's they were this size! How much they have grown. Were only about ~2.5" now over 4" body length.

Filip
02-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Hey Filip, the lights on the tank are not blue, it just appears blue in the photo. I'm not too sure why that is, wether its the blue background or maybe settings on my camera, maybe I should colour correct the image. Anyway, I do plan on adding some greenery to my tank. I saw a post a while ago where the member had used drinking glasses as pots for his plants. this looked really cool and i am leaning towards borrowing this idea for my own tank. Anyway, I don't want to reveal my tank to the world until i am happy with it's appearance. It is currently completely bare, but I do want it looking nice and pretty before I share images of the whole tank. https://imagebin.ca/v/3rYx1HrdPMKI https://imagebin.ca/v/3rYwsXqywbus I can't believe that just 3 short months ago when I got my white butterfly's they were this size! How much they have grown. Were only about ~2.5" now over 4" body length.

Very nice size and looks on your butterflies Zac.
They do grow amazingly fast with the proper care. .
I use PVC transparent glass for my plants .Transparent is to observe the root growth and root bound.
I wouldnt choose glass though, because they do tend to fall around and get smashed to the tank glass during my hasty maintenance , so they would break easily if not carefull enough .