PDA

View Full Version : when to add chlorine and chloramine neutralizer during water change

NDI85
11-08-2017, 10:29 AM
I do 80% water change every other day. Since I have to add water directly from the tap when I do the water change, when should I add chlorine and chloramine neutralizer and Stress-zyme? Do I add them while I'm adding the water or wait until after I finish adding the water? Does it matter? Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

James

White Worm
11-08-2017, 10:40 AM
I add all water conditioners to the tank prior to adding any new water.

Dlbernd
11-08-2017, 10:44 AM
I agree that you need to at least add the chorine depletion chemical first but my comment is doing that much water change that often is over Kill unless you are breeding the discus. Dave

Filip
11-08-2017, 10:53 AM
I add all water conditioners to the tank prior to adding any new water.

Me too .

NDI85
11-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Thanks all. I've been adding the additives as soon as I turned on the faucet so it looks like I've been doing it right.

Ryan925
11-08-2017, 11:21 AM
I do straight tap wcs. I add my prime directly under the end of my python, match temp at faucet then fill away

White Worm
11-08-2017, 01:05 PM
I agree that you need to at least add the chorine depletion chemical first but my comment is doing that much water change that often is over Kill unless you are breeding the discus. Dave

Some would say that is too much but some would also say that it isn't enough.

Bizarro252
11-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Some would say that is too much but some would also say that it isn't enough.

I do 70% every other day, used to do it every day for growing juvis. In 2 days my Nitrates go from less than 5 to 12-15ppm. I do not think that sounds overkill if you are feeding a lot!

OP - Prime works very fast. Just add it before or right as you start adding water and you will be good to go. Have you checked if your water has a large PH swing from directly out of the faucet to aged? If not check it, you may be stressing with large PH changes and need to age your water if you want to do such large changes.

White Worm
11-08-2017, 03:54 PM
I do 70% every other day, used to do it every day for growing juvis. In 2 days my Nitrates go from less than 5 to 12-15ppm. I do not think that sounds overkill if you are feeding a lot!

OP - Prime works very fast. Just add it before or right as you start adding water and you will be good to go. Have you checked if your water has a large PH swing from directly out of the faucet to aged? If not check it, you may be stressing with large PH changes and need to age your water if you want to do such large changes.

Correct, that was my point. We don't know tank size, stocking level, etc so he may indeed have to change that much water.

Bill63SG
11-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Also make sure you ad enough for the whole tank,not just the amount your changing.

pitdogg2
11-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Also make sure you ad enough for the whole tank,not just the amount your changing.

Correct I concur

jim LI
11-09-2017, 09:09 AM
+2
Correct I concur

whiteheadfamily2415
11-23-2017, 12:15 AM
Have you checked if your water has a large PH swing from directly out of the faucet to aged? If not check it, you may be stressing with large PH changes and need to age your water if you want to do such large changes.

We did a 60% or so water change tonight with tap water. Our juveniles all started acting very stressed, turning on their sides, breathing heavily at the top, and we thought we were losing them all (10 of them). We added extra aeration, kept them swimming, and they are starting to look better after two hours of constant attention. Each time I have changed more than 20% of the water, we’ve either lossed silver dollars or fish act very weird. We normally do 10%-20% water changes, but have been unable to do a change in 3 days. We will not do more than 20% again due to a pretty good guess that rapid ph change is happening.

DISCUS STU
12-08-2017, 04:07 PM
I also do direct tap water changes and add Prime to the open end of my hose prior to connecting it to the faucet. This way I figure that the dechlor will follow the path of the new water.

Ryan925
12-08-2017, 08:56 PM
We did a 60% or so water change tonight with tap water. Our juveniles all started acting very stressed, turning on their sides, breathing heavily at the top, and we thought we were losing them all (10 of them). We added extra aeration, kept them swimming, and they are starting to look better after two hours of constant attention. Each time I have changed more than 20% of the water, we’ve either lossed silver dollars or fish act very weird. We normally do 10%-20% water changes, but have been unable to do a change in 3 days. We will not do more than 20% again due to a pretty good guess that rapid ph change is happening.

Aging water and doing larger changes will be much more beneficial than 20% changes, especially with juvies. 20% is not going to yield you good results

Jack L
12-09-2017, 10:32 AM

can you re-explain this? i've just always add a dose to cover the amount of new water added.