PDA

View Full Version : Sturdiest heater

RogueDiscus
12-18-2017, 04:31 PM
I need to buy some heaters for my aging barrels. I was using my old Aqueon Pros (solid black casing) until they gave out one by one, and ended up using some of my Eheims (glass). I want to save them and use something less breakable. Looking for suggestions.
Steve

jim LI
12-18-2017, 04:55 PM
All i use are Aqueon pros for the heaters in my tanks and aging barrels. I have 6 running now. if you still have them, call their customer service to get free replacements. i've only replaced 2 in 5 years of using them

Akili
12-18-2017, 05:04 PM
I use a Fluval E200 Advanced Electronic Heater. I like it as it is encased. My last heater over heated and slightly melted the barrel not enough to leak. Do not use the barrel anymore as there is an in-print of the heater shape in my aging barrel

Adam S
12-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Aqueon Pros are all I use here. Other than that, titanium heaters with controllers are pretty sturdy and come in high wattage if you need to heat a lot of water.

sanjay21
12-18-2017, 05:20 PM
I was recently considering of using one of these with a controller -113608

Does anyone here use these ? or think of any cons using these. I feel aquarium heaters are not designed to frequently heat barrel water from low temperature to higher temperatures.

jmf3460
12-18-2017, 05:52 PM
I use a Fluval E200 Advanced Electronic Heater. I like it as it is encased. My last heater over heated and slightly melted the barrel not enough to leak. Do not use the barrel anymore as there is an in-print of the heater shape in my aging barrel

I have not had good luck with these heaters. I have found over time that even the 200w can barely heat a 20 gallon tank. But that is just my own personal experience

Megalodon
12-18-2017, 06:35 PM
I have not had good luck with these heaters. I have found over time that even the 200w can barely heat a 20 gallon tank. But that is just my own personal experience

I have a 200W and 300W and had to remove the plastic guard for them to heat properly. My aging barrel has 4 Aqueon Pros, the 200W Fluval E, and one original Ebo Jager. I don't use them all unless I need to heat water up really fast. The Fluval E is my favorite heater.

Ryan925
12-19-2017, 11:26 AM

I had an e300 and an aqueon pro 250 both stopped working a little after a year.

I think the sturdiest heater I had was a finnex titanium.

Poppa Ryno
12-19-2017, 11:30 AM
You can get your aqueon pros replaced. They have a lifetime warranty. No fuss returns & exchanges at most stores that carry them. I use them solely for that purpose.

RogueDiscus
12-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Thanks folks. The Pros it is.

tonytheboss1
12-20-2017, 02:59 PM
:computer: Dependable - EHEIM. My current ones have been operating thru a JEHMCO controller for 4-5 years w/ no issues.
Unbreakable - Titanium Submersible Heater. Operate thru same or similar controller w/ no worries. "T"

RogueDiscus
12-20-2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks Tony. I went and looked at the titanium ones at Jehmco. I may consider that. I like the Eheims in my tanks, but I move them around too much between my aging barrels and have already lost one to breakage.

Pardal
12-20-2017, 08:20 PM
:computer: Dependable - EHEIM. My current ones have been operating thru a JEHMCO controller for 4-5 years w/ no issues.
Unbreakable - Titanium Submersible Heater. Operate thru same or similar controller w/ no worries. "T"

+1 EHEIM Jagger more for the buck especially if you have a few tanks, I do have a Fluval as above for my display tank, love the color code digital thermometer.

Willie
01-01-2018, 05:05 PM
Five years ago, Aqueon Pros had a manufacturer's recall because they exploded. I had one go in a 38 Gal Oceanic. Fortunately, the thick glass walls prevented a disaster, although it did wipe out a colony of sterbais. Aqueon started replacing these with no receipts required and the newer model no longer has this flaw.

But these would be perfect for a storage drum! :focus:

DonMD
01-02-2018, 02:59 PM
If you circulate water between your aging barrels, you'll find nothing better than a hydor flow-through heater. I have had years and years of dependable service from mine.

adrian31@outlook.com
01-02-2018, 03:41 PM

RE: Fluval 300W: I had two of these for my 180gal, one stopped working for reasons unknown after six months.