PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help me with my discus?

Lemon94
03-31-2018, 01:42 PM
Hi all,

This is my first time posting on a forum but I really need help with one of my discus. I am new to the discus hobby and I have had my discus for over 2 months now. I have a total of 8 discus in my 75 gallon planted tank. My ammonia, nitrite are always 0 and my nitrates stay between 5-10 as I do a 25% water change every single day.

So, at first when I got my fish, I was battling a bacterial infection as everyone was rapidly breathing, clamping one fin and not eating. I treated with furan-2 and after that every single one of my discus started acting normally, breathing better with no more clamped fins and has been great ever since then. However, I have this one blue discus, that remained sick even after treatment. So I looked for the symptoms and the symptoms are, loss of appetite, hiding behind plants or hanging out near the surface (I have a circulation pump, air stones and a spraybar and I did turn those on to increase oxygen in the tank but no good), turns really black in color, and has lost so much weight. Also, on all my fish I have noticed their pooping is white stringy poop. The poop is really long, mostly white, sometimes multiple white strings come out of my fish at a time. So after a few days I decided to treat again, but this time to use General Cure as the symptoms led me to believe it was heximita/ parasites. I am on my second dose, (3rd day) and tomorrow is when treatment ends according to the box. However, the blue discus is still not feeling better. It sometimes gets it color back, then loses it and turns black. Hangs out near the surface and doesn't eat. (my other discus swim to me when I am about to fed, the blue one couldn't care less).

I feed my discus 3 times a day since they are juveniles. My foods that I give them are a beef heart mix (beef heart, peas, tilapia, shrimp), pellets, and occasionally frozen bloodworms. I never feed live worms or foods.

Other things to know:
My aquarium temperature is between 81-83 degrees
I have a planted aquarium
My tank mates are, 3 swordtails, 1 pleco, 1 gourami

I am really baffled, what could be the cause?

Thanks.

LoGeek
03-31-2018, 02:12 PM
If you are growing out juveniles in a planted tank and feeding beef heart you will have to do way more than 25% wc.

I suggest you read the sticky subjects on planted tanks i that section.

Are you treating in the planted tank or in another tank?

I know nothing about treatments so someone else will have to reply.

Lemon94
03-31-2018, 02:20 PM
Thanks for responding,

I am treating in the planted aquarium since I cant fit all my 8 discus in my 10 gallon hospital tank.

Also, I do not have that many plants in my planted aquarium. 7 different plants and they aren't really that big. When I do the water change, I make sure to remove all the uneaten foods.

Lemon94
03-31-2018, 10:41 PM
No one has any suggestions? :huh:

LoGeek
04-01-2018, 05:26 AM
What quarantine procedure did you perform prior to adding other types of fish to your discus tank, since they are famous for carying pathogens?

LoGeek
04-01-2018, 05:29 AM
I hope someone experienced in treatments replies soon. In the meantime I think you have to prepare yourself for a big change if you want to save your fish in the long run, after treatment.

I think the main problem is that you have them in a tank with sand/plants where leftovers and pathogens can hide, while doing very small water changes. This is a very deadly combination for discus.

Altum Nut
04-01-2018, 10:39 AM
No one has any suggestions? :huh:

It would be the best to complete the Disease Questionnaire to better analyze the issues your experiencing.
Just copy and paste from the link and try to offer as much info possible... http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

...Ralph

Lemon94
04-01-2018, 11:37 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
The problem began when the majority of my discus were rapidly breathing, clamping fins and always hiding. I treated with furan-2 and everyone started acting normally and have been breathing normally ever since. Then a few weeks later I noticed all my discus were pooping white. I treated with general cure because they are showing signs of heximita. This cured it as everyone started pooping brown except for my blue discus. He still poops white, has lost so much weight, stop eating and is always hiding. I moved him into a 10 gallon quarantine tank, bare-bottom with other fish I am quarantining.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

My blue discus turning really dark, white stringy poop, not eating, laying on his side at the bottom of the tank, and lost so much weight. I can practically see his bones sticking out.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I first treated using Furan-2 which solved their rapid breathing and fin clamping, then I used General Cure and it stopped all of my discus from pooping stringy white poop. They all poop brown now, all except one discus who is still pooping stringy white poop and always hiding. The rest of the discus are acting normally.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

Tank is a 75 gallon, which is stocked with 8 discus, 1 bristlenose pleco, 3 swordtails, 1 gourami. A few plants as well.
5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
25% every day (should I increase it? How much? Is it ok if I change water every other day?)

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank has been running for around 4 months now. It has sand substrate 2-3 inches.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I don't age the water.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __82-83___

- ph __7.8___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5-10__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water __I use 100% tapwater__

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
1 Gourami added recently, but the problem was long before i added him.

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

I feed my fish a beefheart mix (talipia, peas, shrimp, beefheart) and I feed that 3 times a day and occasionally a 4th meal which may consist of pellets or frozen bloodworms. Never feed live worms.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Lemon94
04-01-2018, 11:39 AM
I made the mistake of not quarantining my bristlenose pleco when I got him as I just threw him in with the discus. At that time I did not have a quarantine tank. The other fish I had in there for over a month, and they showed no signs of sickness to this day still.

Altum Nut
04-01-2018, 02:09 PM
I made the mistake of not quarantining my bristlenose pleco when I got him as I just threw him in with the discus. At that time I did not have a quarantine tank.

I guess you can't turn back after no quarantine...and good to hear all others are back to normal.

Now for the lonely BD....if you can post a pic it maybe helpful...
Since you have your 10g I would recommend treating with Metronidazole at 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons of water. Dose each day after a 50% water change for 3 to 5 days. Aim for around 90 degree temp for water changes. Feed sparingly of favorite foods. Keep water temperature elevated for a week after treatment ends. It may take a week or so for the discus to regain it's appetite.

...Ralph

Lemon94
04-01-2018, 03:16 PM
I will try that, however will it be fine to treat with that much metronidazole if I have 15 neons, 1 german blue ram and a pleco in quarantine as well? I don't think they will be able to stand 90 degrees.

I can't send a picture because whenever I try to upload to this forum, it says "upload of file failed"

Thanks.

malhilo
04-01-2018, 05:10 PM
I will try that, however will it be fine to treat with that much metronidazole if I have 15 neons, 1 german blue ram and a pleco in quarantine as well? I don't think they will be able to stand 90 degrees.

I can't send a picture because whenever I try to upload to this forum, it says "upload of file failed"

Thanks.

I think what Ralph means is that to move the blue one to the 10g tank, treat her in it..
For the pic, you may need to reduce its size

And an advise, juveniles in a planted tank is not a good idea..I learned that the hard way..
good luck

Altum Nut
04-01-2018, 07:07 PM

Thanks.

Did not realize you were going to put the other non discus fish in the 10g as well and NO it would not be fine for the Neons. Pleco depends on what species and Blue Ram am not sure.
Posting pics here can't be larger then 2 Mb.

...Ralph

Lemon94
04-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Heres a picture.

Altum Nut
04-01-2018, 10:46 PM
I'm sure it's difficult to take a better photo but this one makes it very difficult for even the most experienced hobbyist to analyze.
I'm not sure what to say at this point judging by the photo but if it does not get up it will weaken further and may to choice but euthanize it.

...Ralph

Lemon94
04-01-2018, 11:28 PM
I don't think hes going to survive. Hes laying on the floor of the aquarium, breathing really slowly. Really sad to see it dying.

Do you have any tips for the future to prevent something like this from happening again?

Thanks

Altum Nut
04-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Always Quarantine any new additions for 6 weeks before adding to main tank. We have not determined what the cause may be so guessing brings us no further ahead. First thing is always suspect water source or perimeters of tank water before jumping the gun dropping in meds not knowing what exactly your treating for.
Sorry if this one does not make it but know it's happened to the most of us.

...Ralph

Lemon94
04-02-2018, 12:15 AM
I managed to take some better pictures and his belly has turned white! I hope this can be helpful.
That's for all your help.

Edit: Unfortunately, the fish just died after I took the picture and posted it.

Altum Nut
04-02-2018, 11:19 AM
Sorry you lost it Lemon...don't get discouraged as at times there are no explanations when a healthy fish suddenly dies which has happened to me a number of times. Make the right choices for the next time and keep up on water quality.

...Ralph