PDA

View Full Version : Single discus - lonely?

Cate45
04-02-2018, 05:11 AM
Hi all
Not really a medical question, so doesn't fit there; figured I'd try general.

Have one chap in a hospital tank since we got him 9 weeks ago, as detailed in a thread in the Emergency Room forum. Short version: he's got to be bored and lonely? Or is this just me anthropomorphising?

I can't re-add him to the school yet, as I'm not sure he's recovered. But he's in a 215ltr by himself, BB, with some silk plants for company. Should I be looking at adding some dither fish? (Or setting up the TV for him, heh)

Thanks

Second Hand Pat
04-02-2018, 07:09 AM
Hi Catherine, perhaps the TV lol. If you add dither fish you would compromise his recovery as you would be exposing him to anything the dithers could have.
Pat

Filip
04-02-2018, 07:59 AM
IMO , its much better to be lonely and bored that dead :) .
How is he doing right now ? Does he eats ?
Why do you think he is not yet full recovered ?
If he looks OK and eats well ,maybe you can get him back to recover with the rest of your discus ?

Anyway , you have invested 9 weeks of TLC for him , so maybe its better to wait it out just a bit more .

Pices
04-02-2018, 08:20 AM
I had a sick fish that recovered and I too thought he was lonely. He had never been alone in a big tank. I waited and eventually put him back with his tank mates. He’s fine now and I’m glad I waited. He could graze instead of compete for food and was stronger as a result. I kept doing huge wc’s in the meantime as suggested. Good advice above!

Jenene
04-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Wonder if a mirror would help? I use it on my tank to fool them into thinking there are more fish in the tank to disperse sudden bursts in aggression. It’s worked each time for short periods... just a thought.
I have had single fish in a QT and they do look a bit lost.