PDA

View Full Version : java fern and anubius question

matt2426
05-06-2018, 09:41 PM
I'm new to planted tanks I never gave it a try but I'm thinking about adding some java fern and Anubis to my driftwood and maybe a few amazon swords from the info I was reading most of the plants live in about 82 degrees max it says. I keep my temp in my tank between 85 to 86 is it going to be a problem keeping those plant in 86 degree water do I need to lower my temp a little or would they be fine with my current temp thanks

Disgirl
05-07-2018, 07:47 AM
I grow all 3 in my discus tanks, only the Java Fern seems to prefer cooler water. The others do great. My tank is 86. I use heavy duty polyester thread to attach the Anubias. Swords go into pots of gravel. Good luck.
Barb

Filip
05-07-2018, 05:24 PM
No problem at all, as long as you provide them with sufficient light , and pot , at least Echinodorus in an nutrient rich soil/ substrate pot. Other 2 also benefit from rooting in nutrient rich soil but can be kept atached on a driftwood .

RuinerM3
05-07-2018, 11:38 PM
I have Java Fern and 3 types of anubias in my tank and all 3 are doing great. Kept at 84deg +/- .5 deg.

matt2426
05-08-2018, 04:28 AM
ok thanks for the responses guys so im going to give it a shot do you guys use any kind of special treatment for java fern or anubias are any chemicals needed to be added or can i just tie them on driftwood and let them do there thing I see seachem sells products like flourish is that stuff necessary for ferns and anubias id appreciate any tips thank you

lastflea
05-12-2018, 03:56 PM
do you guys use any kind of special treatment for java fern or anubias are any chemicals needed to be added or can i just tie them on driftwood and let them do there thing I see seachem sells products like flourish is that stuff necessary for ferns and anubias id appreciate any tips thank you

The plants you're planning to add are in the "easy" category. You can try adding products to help them grow faster, but you're going to need the right light and CO2 levels to make this a success. Plants are very much about getting the right balance between lighting and fertilising. There's also variables like depth of tank to consider. I've always believed in starting off with less, and working up. It's a lot easier to deal with a hungry plant than an algae bloom. I'd say put your plants in, dose half the amount of ferts needed in the water, and put a tab in the pot for your sword. Then see how it goes.

lastflea
05-12-2018, 04:04 PM
Here's a good search on Google to give you an idea of what your plants needs are, if there's any problems. Type "diagram for aquarium plants needs" and feast your eyes on the information provided :)