PDA

View Full Version : Discus Wound from Darting. HELP!

TimB
05-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Hi all,

So i have a group of 9 healthy Red Turqs (Stendker), but as i went to show a friend my fish, they started darting around the aquarium and must have hit something. Now they are hiding, and from what i can see at least one of them has a head wound. It is a wound from about 2-3 mm across and it appears white. Apart from the wound and them hiding, they seem fine.

HOWEVER, i do not want this to esclate since the wounded fish is my favourite one:( If it gets infected and it dies it would really be a blow. So i heard some people say adding salt is good. I have Epsom and keltic sea salt in my cabinet, will this do? and if so, how much? Furthmore i also have some "eSHa 2000", should i use this?

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

brewmaster15
05-10-2018, 03:51 PM
HI Tim.
Most wounds like this heal fine with no more than clean water.. What would help is a few pictures. Sometimes, a wound may get infected and a swab with hydrogen peroixde or iodine can help. Salt (sodium chloride) can help with stress but I would not add it just yet, and epsom would be used for constipation not a wound.

hth,
al

TimB
05-11-2018, 10:59 AM

A picture!

brewmaster15
05-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Tim,
That doesnt look like a wound from swimming into something.It looks more like an infected pore. Discus have pits that sometimes get infected. Think "pimple" . These often rupture on their own and leave a small pit that often heals fine. Yours looks about ready. You may want to net the fish and swab that.
info is here..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?117106-Treating-topically-(Iodine-H2O2-etc)

even if its an infected scrap it would benefit from swabbing by the looks of.

hth,
al

JamesW
05-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Did his head wound heal OK?

I've often seen scrapes from the driftwood on the sides of my discus after I've been in the tank rescaping/water changing/generally messing with the tank. 24h later they are invariably healed or well and truly on the way to being healed. At least initially a wait and see attitude to a scrape can be beneficial as opposed to overreacting and treating straight away. I certainly prefer not to have salt rubbed into minor skin abrasions if it is going to heal just fine on its own.