PDA

View Full Version : Pure Gold strain

Zclover95
05-14-2018, 09:59 PM
Hello I'm curious as to what you guys think. I've been doing research looking around for a pure gold discus strain and was wondering what strains you guys have seen that are pure gold? So far I've only come across a gold diamond and albino millennium discus and even they show white markings. Maybe a golden crystal?? If anyone has any info it's be greatly appreciated. My goal is to one day find a perfect gold specimen and cross it with a LSS in the hopes of maybe creating a GLSS down the line

Zclover95
05-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Bump?

CliffsDiscus
05-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Pure original goldens came from mutation browns
this was back in the 80s. Later these goldens were cross with other types of
Discus.

Cliff

SNap0283
05-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Are you looking for a fish that is genetically called a "golden" and is pure without crosses of different genetics? Or are you just looking for a fish that appears golden in color and don't care about its genetics?

If you just want a fish that is golden colored I would suggest email or calling one of the importers who sponsor the forums here and see if they have or can bring in one for you.

RogueDiscus
05-19-2018, 02:54 PM
I'd agree with SNap above. I've got a couple of Kenny's Gold Diamnds I'm working hard to keep yellow, avoiding color additives in food, but they have some red highlights on the ends of fins and occasionally some black edges, maybe when stressed. No patterning though. His Golden Lollipops are pretty yellow, too. Both strains are PB based. I remember seeing a very nice yellow at the last NADA show. It was an albino something.

LizStreithorst
05-19-2018, 02:58 PM
Nope. ZClover is looking for the real thing.

RogueDiscus
05-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Hey Liz, I'm wondering what that means to you.

LizStreithorst
05-19-2018, 04:18 PM
It means a pure gold without PB or anything else. From what I understand pure gold us a rare mutation.

RogueDiscus
05-19-2018, 05:38 PM
I didn't think he had made it clear he wanted the genetic mutation "gold" or just the color. I had some GLSS for a while, females of course, and I never felt like I got a good answer to what the characteristics were of the golden gene mutation. I don't recall ever seeing a solid color fish that was the result of the golden gene mutation, and not also PB. So, I still don't know what that mutation means.

LizStreithorst
05-19-2018, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure if it exists at all but he does and he wants some. He has a breeding project in his mind and he searching for the missing link.

nc0gnet0
05-19-2018, 09:50 PM
I didn't think he had made it clear he wanted the genetic mutation "gold" or just the color. I had some GLSS for a while, females of course, and I never felt like I got a good answer to what the characteristics were of the golden gene mutation. I don't recall ever seeing a solid color fish that was the result of the golden gene mutation, and not also PB. So, I still don't know what that mutation means.

Yeah, two different things for sure. For one a "pure golden" in the genetic sense of the term would not necessarily be solid golden in color at all.

This is what I picture when I think of a pure golden............

Kenny had that several years ago (it is his picture) I tried my darnedest to get my hands on it, but someone beat me to the punch.

hardcore_freak
06-30-2018, 12:48 PM
I've never come across any pure golden discus in recent years.
But there are many pigeon genes discus passing off as golden related strains...
I bought them as golden leopard snakeskin.
Let me know what you think.
I hope to get as much response as possible.
No right or wrong.
Just shoot
:gossip:

hardcore_freak
06-30-2018, 12:59 PM
More pictures for reference.
I bought 05 pieces...

RogueDiscus
06-30-2018, 02:03 PM
Very nice! Good shape, nice red eyes.

nolefan
06-30-2018, 05:05 PM
Some of the best Glss I’ve seen really clean

hardcore_freak
07-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Some of the best Glss I’ve seen really clean

Very nice! Good shape, nice red eyes.

Thank you.

Here's an old video taken by me few weeks back.
https://youtu.be/AnC3SoFF0yM
Any tell-tale sign that they are actually not pure glss?
Please share your doubts .... because after keeping them for a couple of weeks, I personally wouldn't classify them as pure glss anymore...
:cry:

nolefan
07-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Thank you.

Here's an old video taken by me few weeks back.
https://youtu.be/AnC3SoFF0yM
Any tell-tale sign that they are actually not pure glss?
Please share your doubts .... because after keeping them for a couple of weeks, I personally wouldn't classify them as pure glss anymore...
:cry:
They don’t look pure I do see signs of pigeon but they are very nice looking ..

hardcore_freak
07-05-2018, 10:00 AM
I intentionally starved them for several days, increased the water temperature and added dewormer.
This came out...
The peppering is not black but ash grey...
But to me, it cannot be classified as golden leopard snakeskin anymore.

nolefan
07-06-2018, 09:21 AM
I intentionally starved them for several days, increased the water temperature and added dewormer.
This came out...
The peppering is not black but ash grey...
But to me, it cannot be classified as golden leopard snakeskin anymore.
Definite pigeon now .. what a difference

Mattgoanna
07-06-2018, 09:30 AM
I think pure golden do have what they call dusting. Not necessarily pigeon.

hardcore_freak
07-06-2018, 09:40 AM
There's currently two school of thought.
1. Ash grey dusting is acceptable.
2. Totally clean.

I recently bought another three glss from two other different sources.
If I can get proper pictures, I'll post again.

Mattgoanna
07-06-2018, 06:37 PM
All of the 3R discus I have seen get dusting when stressed. They are also pure golden.

Mattgoanna
07-07-2018, 09:27 PM
I was just looking back at some old posts from Forrest in Malaysia and he confirms that all golden discus get dusting when stressed.

hardcore_freak
07-08-2018, 12:50 AM
I think the general consensus that ash grey dusting on the upper nose region is acceptable...