PDA

View Full Version : Potassium Permanganate

danotaylor
05-24-2018, 04:01 AM
In processing how to "sterilize" my tank, plumbing and sump before I switch my 125 gal from tanganyikan cichlids to discus I have been considering pot. perm. as advised by Kenny.
My question is:
* if I add pot. perm to my glass tank before I drain it and let it dry out before re-filling, will it stain the silicone in my tank? (all Kenny's tanks are acrylic so he wasn't able to answer)

I was also considering adding chlorine and running this through my system before emptying and letting it dry out before re-filling.

I do realize that both options will kill off my BB and that my tank will need to be cycled again, but Kenny also offers mature sponge filters for sale with his stock...happy dayz :grin:

Any input or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Tuterosso
05-24-2018, 12:19 PM
Hydrogen peroxide is better and faster clean tank but litlle dangerous

RogueDiscus
05-24-2018, 01:58 PM
It's never stained my silicone that I can tell.

gators111
05-24-2018, 03:18 PM
Never stained my hospital tank. Plus when the hydrogen peroxide neutralizes it, it turns clear anyways.

danotaylor
05-24-2018, 11:53 PM
I have a gallon bottle of hydroponics grade 30% hydrogen peroxide we used to spray for powdery mildew. It is called H2O2. Does anyone know how to dose HP for sterilizing my 125 gal? Thanks!

Len
05-25-2018, 03:38 PM
if the tank doesn't have fish in it, assuming I'm understanding correctly, the easiest and probably most effective way to steralize is just by using strong bleech. After you steralize just let it completely dry and the chlorine will be gone and you're pretty much done. I do still give it all a rinse though just to be certain :) Peroxide wouldn't be my choice for that job though because it won't stay viable in the tank long enough, changing simply into water and O2.

danotaylor
05-25-2018, 04:45 PM
Thank you Len!
So my tank is currently set up as a tanganyikan community tank. I am in the process of selling all my stock and switching back to a long time fav, discus. I am wanting to "clean house" once the tank is empty of it's current inhabitants, so as to start fresh, free from potential pathogens from the previous fishes.
I was thinking pool chlorine originally...bleach will accomplish the same goal...cheers!

klr-dude
06-26-2018, 09:33 PM
if the tank doesn't have fish in it, assuming I'm understanding correctly, the easiest and probably most effective way to steralize is just by using strong bleech. After you steralize just let it completely dry and the chlorine will be gone and you're pretty much done. I do still give it all a rinse though just to be certain :) Peroxide wouldn't be my choice for that job though because it won't stay viable in the tank long enough, changing simply into water and O2.

hi len
i want to sterilize my entire system about 1000 gal , central filtered , what would you consider a strong bleach ?
would a few gallon do it ,.....say 2-3 gallons ?
right now i'm running PP through it but i want to get things sparkling clean before i re-introduce my discus again .

Tuterosso
06-27-2018, 08:19 AM
the best sterilize is hydrogen peroxide 30%

danotaylor
06-27-2018, 08:54 AM
the best sterilize is hydrogen peroxide 30%
As a spray or wipe on to the inside glass of the tank when it's empty? What about for cleaning Plumbing? How would you suggest we use the HP 30% to do that?

Tuterosso
06-28-2018, 02:21 AM
When using perhydrol, you need to use gloves and breathing mask(fck this stink) https://cxsafety.pl/ochrona-ukladu-oddechowego/1339-maseczka-antysmogowa-i-przeciwpylowa-bls-zer0-30-ffp3.html
Spray 200-300ml on 1L spray the entire aquarium, leave it to dry, or after 30 minutes wipe dry, I do it twice
Cleaning the bucket filter, plumbing, aquarium and all stuff, Stink will be nice at the same time :)
Filter, I attach to the bucket (30 liters), to which I pour perhydrol 300-400ml per 100L and leave for a few days to work, every day adding a portion of perhydrol (by eye). I also put the rest of the equipment into the bucket. Then I rinse everything thoroughly. Better work when light dont coming to aquarium.
How it works you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=215&v=2m7h-N5EwhQ