PDA

View Full Version : I did it!!

magnoliamaybe
05-26-2018, 09:51 AM
After a long time researching, and lurking on this forum, I finally got my discus. One of the few things I have learned, lead me to wait until I could afford discus that had been grown out. I currently have 5 5in in a 55 gal. Bare bottom tank. I know that 6 would be a better number but I got all 5 of them from the same person/tank and I was able to avoid quarantine. My question is do I need to add anything to the tank such as wood since the discus are grown. I was not sold on a bare bottom tank, or an "empty" tank but WOW, these fish are beautiful. People always would comment on my old planted angel tank, what a beautiful aquarium. Now, people are seeing my discus and saying, Wow, What beautiful fish! They don't seem too scidish or shy but I was still wondering if I need something in the tank to make them more secure.....thoughts?

Gabriel13
05-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Congrats on your new discus! You dont "need" wood but a nice hardscape is appealing to the eyes as well. Soooo, do you have pics? Lets see those new babies!

magnoliamaybe
05-26-2018, 10:35 AM

Gabriel13
05-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Wow from the pics they look huge. Very pretty!

Second Hand Pat
05-26-2018, 12:03 PM
After a long time researching, and lurking on this forum, I finally got my discus. One of the few things I have learned, lead me to wait until I could afford discus that had been grown out. I currently have 5 5in in a 55 gal. Bare bottom tank. I know that 6 would be a better number but I got all 5 of them from the same person/tank and I was able to avoid quarantine. My question is do I need to add anything to the tank such as wood since the discus are grown. I was not sold on a bare bottom tank, or an "empty" tank but WOW, these fish are beautiful. People always would comment on my old planted angel tank, what a beautiful aquarium. Now, people are seeing my discus and saying, Wow, What beautiful fish! They don't seem too scidish or shy but I was still wondering if I need something in the tank to make them more secure.....thoughts?

Congrats on your first discus and I would suggest not adding anything to the tank. A 55 (IMO) is rather tight orders for discus and the wood simply takes away swimming room :) The discus look great. After they settle hopefully the strong bars will be less pronounced.
Pat

magnoliamaybe
05-26-2018, 01:00 PM
I am fine with the empty tank, as I said these fish don't need decorations! The picture was taken about 5 minutes after they were put in the tank, so they were stressed. They seem to be adjusting nicely. Thank you so much for the feedback. I will continue as is and let the fish themselves be the centerpiece in the tank.

Gabriel13
05-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Keep us updated with pics. I'd love to see how they settle in. Thanks in advance for the pics! P.S. can we get some full tank shots?

Paul Sabucchi
05-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Congrats on taking the plunge and for the lovely looking fish. I am all for BB tanks (at least untill the fish are fully grown). Been growing mine out in a BB 100 gal and they always seemed perfectly comfortable and never seemed to be missing somwhere to hide.

Pices
06-03-2018, 10:49 AM
Very nice looking fish. Can’t wait to see more pics and names of those big lugs.
Patty

Hidan
06-05-2018, 05:12 AM
Beautiful fish.

If you have the space & the finances you should definitely try and upgrade to a bigger tank. The Discus would look spectacular with an aquascape and some dither fish in say a 120 gal.