PDA

View Full Version : Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

jopgo
05-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Discus hobby and I encounter this problem (see photos) and I don't know how to treat it.

Before I thought it was Ich so I tried several medications i.e. ParaGuard, Nox Ich for several weeks.

Can someone identify & help me how to cure this? Is this contagious?

Thank you very much for your help.

-Jopgo

RogueDiscus
05-27-2018, 10:20 PM
Hi Jopco and welcome to Simply Discus. Sorry you're having trouble. Conditions like this are often the result of water quality issues. Can you tell us more about your tank set up, other fish, filtration, and what your water change regimen is. That will folks more to go on.

jopgo
05-28-2018, 01:51 AM
Hi Jopco and welcome to Simply Discus. Sorry you're having trouble. Conditions like this are often the result of water quality issues. Can you tell us more about your tank set up, other fish, filtration, and what your water change regimen is. That will folks more to go on.

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response and for welcoming me.

I have the ff set up/info:

37 gallons aquarium bare bottom
6 discus fish 3"-4"
4 angel fish (small size)
1 pleco
Penn-Plax cascade -100gals canister filter (every week I clean this)
Water change every other 2-3 days
Feeding schedule 3x a day (every meal 3 cubes bloodworm and tetra color granules)

I only have this problem on my that single discus, others don't show any sign of infection/disease.
Should I separate this discus?

Thank you again. Appreciate your help.

Jopgo

brewmaster15
05-28-2018, 08:03 AM
Hi,
I would set up a hospital tank and do a salt dip on this fish &place it in the hospital tank.I agree with Steve its probably water quality but it looks like the fish is developing bacteria issues. If the salt dip doesnt clear that up I would use something like furan 2. Pretty sure a dip and clean water will work.

Your tank is a bit crowded. You mention you do wcs every 2-3 days but not the volume of water changed.I'd suggest you bump that up.Discus rarely get these issues except when water quality is less than optimal.

hth,

al

bluelagoon
05-28-2018, 08:06 AM
Hi,When I quarantined 4 new discus about 4" in a 40 gal.I found that I needed to change out 80% of the aged water daily in that tank.I think your tank is way over stocked for it's size.In time just a pair of angels will do the best in that size tank.The discus need out as soon as possible and into a 55 gal at the smallest.Looks like dirty water issues,pimples are a sign of that.They will go away once the water becomes cleaner.

Altum Nut
05-28-2018, 03:57 PM
All great advise and hope it helps clear the problem which I'm confident is water quality related.
Just wanted to touch on your filter...is that the only filter you have and do you use tap or tank water when cleaning it?

...Ralph

RogueDiscus
05-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Good catch Ralph! Jopgo, chlorinated tap water could be killing off your filter's beneficial bacteria, which is the reason for the question.

jopgo
05-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Hi,
I would set up a hospital tank and do a salt dip on this fish &place it in the hospital tank.I agree with Steve its probably water quality but it looks like the fish is developing bacteria issues. If the salt dip doesnt clear that up I would use something like furan 2. Pretty sure a dip and clean water will work.

Your tank is a bit crowded. You mention you do wcs every 2-3 days but not the volume of water changed.I'd suggest you bump that up.Discus rarely get these issues except when water quality is less than optimal.

hth,

al

Hi Brewmaster,

Thank you for the advice. I water change 50% 2-3 days, I will try my best to do water change everyday/every other day and salt dip my discus let you know the result.

Thank you again,

Regards,
Jopgo

jopgo
05-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Hi,When I quarantined 4 new discus about 4" in a 40 gal.I found that I needed to change out 80% of the aged water daily in that tank.I think your tank is way over stocked for it's size.In time just a pair of angels will do the best in that size tank.The discus need out as soon as possible and into a 55 gal at the smallest.Looks like dirty water issues,pimples are a sign of that.They will go away once the water becomes cleaner.

Hi Bluelagoon,

Thank you for the advice, unfortunately, I only have 1 tank I might donate the other angels back to my fish store. Thank you.

Regards,
Jopgo

jopgo
05-28-2018, 05:02 PM
All great advise and hope it helps clear the problem which I'm confident is water quality related.
Just wanted to touch on your filter...is that the only filter you have and do you use tap or tank water when cleaning it?

...Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Yes, I only have the penn-plax 100g canister filter(which I only clean once a week). I use tap water and Prime to condition my water.

Do I need to add another filter? is there something wrong with this?

Thank you in advance

Regards,
Jopgo

jopgo
05-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Good catch Ralph! Jopgo, chlorinated tap water could be killing off your filter's beneficial bacteria, which is the reason for the question.

Hi RougeDiscus,

I use prime for my tap water is this enough? or should I use another water conditioner?

Thank you!

Regards,
Jopgo

Second Hand Pat
05-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Hi Jopgo,

I think what Steve meant is if you use tap water when you clean your filter? If so please use tank water so you do not kill off your beneficial bacteria. Chlorine/Chlormine will do that if untreated.

Pat

jopgo
05-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Hi Jopgo,

I think what Steve meant is if you use tap water when you clean your filter? If so please use tank water so you do not kill off your beneficial bacteria. Chlorine/Chlormine will do that if untreated.

Pat

Hi Pat,

I see sorry I misunderstood that, yes I use tap water to clean my filter. I will use the tank water from now on.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Jopgo

Second Hand Pat
05-28-2018, 05:14 PM
Hi Pat,

I see sorry I misunderstood that, yes I use tap water to clean my filter. I will use the tank water from now on.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Jopgo

:thumbsup:

jopgo
06-20-2018, 02:03 AM
Hi Guys,

I just want to update everyone with my discus. Please see attached photos.
I used the salt dip every day for 30 mins, water change everyday 50% and clean my filter sponge with tank water.
Thank you very much, guys!!

brewmaster15
06-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Sounds good, now I would just keep up with water changes and let them rest. The frayed tail tips should grow back on their own shortly..
al