PDA

View Full Version : So Who is Going to NADA 2018??

Second Hand Pat
05-30-2018, 09:50 AM
So who is going?? Tom and I will be there and I am stoked. I missed the 2016 show due to a medical issue with my dad and desperately need a fish fix.

There will be some familiar faces at this show :D:D Andrew Soh, Paul Butler (former admin of SD), Larry Bugg, Rick Owen, Jerry Baer, Bob B. and others I am sure. I will get to meet some new folks Steve (RogueDiscus), Ricardo (rickztahone), Ralph (Altum Nut), Keith Perkins and hopefully many others.

Shout out of you will be there!!
Pat

brewmaster15
05-30-2018, 01:31 PM
I'm afraid I will be missing this one. I have just way too much going on family wise. Its just not something I can do right now. Its a bummer as I will miss catching up with all of you.

Al

Second Hand Pat
05-30-2018, 02:12 PM
I'm afraid I will be missing this one. I have just way too much going on family wise. Its just not something I can do right now. Its a bummer as I will miss catching up with all of you.

Al

You know this means that at some point Al, you will need to make a trip to Florida when things settle. :) Sorry to hear you are not going to make it but golly, I sure do understand the family side. :(
Pat

Disgirl
05-30-2018, 04:33 PM
I will be there. Bringing my husband too, he and Tom can hang out while their wives do fish stuff, right Pat? It will be so much fun like the last 3 have been. And like the last 3 conventions, I will organize the "ladies dinner" which will be on Friday night at the hotel restaurant.
Barb

two utes
05-30-2018, 05:01 PM
I've planned my family holiday from Australia around this event, and will be there with bells on. Looking forward to meeting many of you from here.

RogueDiscus
05-30-2018, 05:02 PM
Yes, I'll be there. My wife's coming but will be visiting nearby family most of the time. I'll be on my own for most of the show. I was a newbie at Chicago, so maybe wasn't well connected, but I'd like to encourage folks to plan to hang out Thursday and/or Friday evenings, or after the banquet, either in the showroom or some place TBD, to party and socialize a bit.
Steve

LizStreithorst
05-30-2018, 05:08 PM
I'm hoping to make it to the one next year. I know that I will be missing old friends and discovering new ones but I have already decided to skip it this time.

Altum Nut
05-30-2018, 07:45 PM
I will miss you Liz especially during those early mornings chats outside with Rich.
Steve it looks like we will be sharing time assisting with show set-up and tank maintenance/show fish placement.

...Ralph

Disgirl
05-30-2018, 07:46 PM
I'm hoping to make it to the one next year. I know that I will be missing old friends and discovering new ones but I have already decided to skip it this time.

It will be July 2020, two years. We will miss you Liz.
Barb

Second Hand Pat
05-30-2018, 07:49 PM
I will be there. Bringing my husband too, he and Tom can hang out while their wives do fish stuff, right Pat? It will be so much fun like the last 3 have been. And like the last 3 conventions, I will organize the "ladies dinner" which will be on Friday night at the hotel restaurant.
Barb

Exactly Barb :) Great news on the "ladies dinner"!!
Pat

Second Hand Pat
05-30-2018, 07:51 PM

Will miss not seeing you too Liz but understand!!
Pat

Willie
05-31-2018, 08:00 AM
Me, me, me...;)

Larry Bugg
05-31-2018, 02:52 PM
I'm going to be there. It is going to be a blast. We have attracted a little international attention for this Show and have quite a few attendees coming to the Show from out of the US along with some really nice Show fish. I'm also excited because we are going to have two speakers talking about wild discus and should have some of the nicest wilds in the Show ever. Can't wait to see them.

Sorry you aren't going to make it Liz. Will miss you in the late night discussions.

discuspaul
05-31-2018, 04:22 PM
It looks like Ralph (Altum Nut) and I will be at least 2 of the attendees from out of the U.S. that Larry has referred to.

While flying from west coast to east coast for over 5 hours and also losing 3 hours out of the day to time change isn't my idea of fun, I'll be at the show even though I have to be up around 4 a.m. to catch the flite out of Vancouver.

The only small saving grace is that Air Canada flies to Newark direct non-stop.

So Thursday July 12th will be a long day for me, but I'm looking forward to it though. Barring any serious setback, I'll be there mainly because I was frugal enough (translation; CHEAP) to buy a non-refundable flite fare . LOL

I too will miss you not being there, Liz, but I'm certainly looking forward to meeting & socializing with so many of you familiar names who will be attending ! See you there.

Altum Nut
05-31-2018, 06:53 PM
It will be good see meet you face to face finally Paul. When you get in on Thursday just chill back and save your energy for the start of the show event on Friday. I'll be starting my car for the trip at 4 am and looking at about a 8-9 hr drive.
There maybe other Canucks besides us...Larry was also referring to the many attendees out from South America and overseas...Asia, Australia...etc.

...Ralph

Jenene
05-31-2018, 09:12 PM
I will be there. Been looking forward to it for a very long time since I was too new to discus for the last one.
Really looking forward to finally meeting so many familiar names and putting faces to them. I’ve met a few at Al’s last year... will be missing him... but completely understand.
Thanks in advance to all the organizers. It will be a very memorable event.
Darn Liz! I was hoping to finally meet you... Guess I’ll be going to the next one too...

discuspaul
05-31-2018, 09:24 PM
Jenene, your name has become quite familiar to many of us 'older-timers' in recent months, and it'll be a pleasure meeting you in person - I get the sense you're not at all shy, and that's great.

And btw, it'll be superb to renew my fond memories of a get-together with Pat & Tom - well- how long ago was it, Pat - almost 2 years ago, I believe.

Jenene
05-31-2018, 09:55 PM
Jenene, your name has become quite familiar to many of us 'older-timers' in recent months, and it'll be a pleasure meeting you in person - I get the sense you're not at all shy, and that's great.

And btw, it'll be superb to renew my fond memories of a get-together with Pat & Tom - well- how long ago was it - almost 2 years ago, I believe.

Awe! Thanks so much! That’s sweet. It will be an honor. I’ve learned so much from you and so many of the other very experienced members. SD has been like a big family to me these past two years. I finally get to meet some of the “cousins”.

You are quite right. I am not shy at all. A wall flower I shall not be. :wave:

Second Hand Pat
06-01-2018, 07:35 AM

And btw, it'll be superb to renew my fond memories of a get-together with Pat & Tom - well- how long ago was it, Pat - almost 2 years ago, I believe.

September of 2016 Paul, is Linda coming? Will be super to see you or both of you. Tom is coming also. I still have fond memories of the dinner we had with you two!!
Pat

discuspaul
06-01-2018, 10:17 AM
I'll be solo, Pat - Linda & her sister will be motoring to Trail, B.C. to visit with their ageing mother.

Second Hand Pat
06-01-2018, 11:22 AM
I'll be solo, Pat - Linda & her sister will be motoring to Trail, B.C. to visit with their ageing mother.

Tell her hi for me Paul please!
Pat

discuspaul
06-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Done - and she returns the hi.

Keith Perkins
06-03-2018, 09:05 AM
Life has been so busy I just finally booked hotel reservations and show registration Friday. Of course I booked the awards banquet and brunch too, wouldn't miss either of those for anything. Can't wait to met the couple of leakers who didn't make it to Chicago. Also hoping not to be so busy this show to be able to spend more time with all the great folks who did make it to Chicago. Speaking of hopes, it would be nice to have to replace my signature line. :D Your east coast guys going to make that happen???

Hotel block ends June 15 unless we can sweet talk them into extending it.

Oh, and there will be some really sweet deals on 20 gallon tanks, glass tops, heater, and sponge filter combos. IMO, even a sweeter one on 75 gallon combos.

Second Hand Pat
06-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Life has been so busy I just finally booked hotel reservations and show registration Friday. Of course I booked the awards banquet and brunch too, wouldn't miss either of those for anything. Can't wait to met the couple of leakers who didn't make it to Chicago. Also hoping not to be so busy this show to be able to spend more time with all the great folks who did make it to Chicago. Speaking of hopes, it would be nice to have to replace my signature line. :D Your east coast guys going to make that happen???

Hotel block ends June 15 unless we can sweet talk them into extending it.

Oh, and there will be some really sweet deals on 20 gallon tanks, glass tops, heater, and sponge filter combos. IMO, even a sweeter one on 75 gallon combos.

Here you go Keith

Disgirl
06-03-2018, 11:37 PM
What I want to know is whose Discus are those beauties in that pic above? Wow they are pretty!

Second Hand Pat
06-03-2018, 11:43 PM
What I want to know is whose Discus are those beauties in that pic above? Wow they are pretty!

Thanks Barb, they were mine, Al has them now.
Pat

discuspaul
06-05-2018, 03:36 PM
BTW, Steve (Rogue Discus) just mentioned on another thread that he understood that John Nicholson would be working at the NADA show (thanks, Steve).

Can anyone confirm this ? - I for one would love to finally meet John in person !

As many of you are likely aware, John hasn't posted on the forum for a very long time, and I miss his interesting commentaries !

LizStreithorst
06-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Thanks Barb, they were mine, Al has them now.
Pat

lol. I thought they looked like your fish when I saw the pic. One is the fish in your avatar.

LizStreithorst
06-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Nicholson is always at NADA.

Second Hand Pat
06-05-2018, 04:57 PM
lol. I thought they looked like your fish when I saw the pic. One is the fish in your avatar.

Exactly, she has really cool forehead markings. :)
Pat

Larry Bugg
06-05-2018, 05:34 PM
BTW, Steve (Rogue Discus) just mentioned on another thread that he understood that John Nicholson would be working at the NADA show (thanks, Steve).

Can anyone confirm this ? - I for one would love to finally meet John in person !

As many of you are likely aware, John hasn't posted on the forum for a very long time, and I miss his interesting commentaries !

John will indeed be at the Show. He actually will be arriving on Wed to help with set up. John is in charge of the NADA judging program and will be working with that at the Show.

Altum Nut
06-05-2018, 11:13 PM
John will indeed be at the Show. He actually will be arriving on Wed to help with set up. John is in charge of the NADA judging program and will be working with that at the Show.

I thought so Larry...I think he has just been a busy bee with their new house build.

...Ralph

alcastro
06-06-2018, 12:35 AM
I will be attending this time around, exited lol hope I can meet you all thank you Pat and Rick for your help.

Altum Nut
06-06-2018, 01:04 PM
I will be attending this time around, exited lol hope I can meet you all thank you Pat and Rick for your help.

That is great Al...are you bringing your tools in case we need any auto repairs or modifications. Lol

...Ralph

RogueDiscus
06-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Just bumping the idea of gathering to socialize outside the planned events. I've imagined Thursday and/or Friday nights as the likely choices but could be some other time. I know Barb's planning the ladies dinner Friday, but could be after that. Maybe an informal reception? Chime in if you might be interested.

RogueDiscus
06-06-2018, 02:43 PM
So, I think only 10 different people have replied to this thread. I know this isn't NADA, but thought there might be more. Anybody have a registration count for the show at this point?

Second Hand Pat
06-06-2018, 02:51 PM
Steve, I am sure Tom and I would be happy to hook up with you. :)
Pat

RogueDiscus
06-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Thanks Pat, I was counting on it! Maybe Ralph too.

Second Hand Pat
06-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Thanks Pat, I was counting on it! Maybe Ralph too.

Of course :) The more the merrier :D and maybe Paul unless he runs off with the show committee. Let's not forget the other Paul (discuspaul).
Pat

discuspaul
06-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Of course :) The more the merrier :D and maybe Paul unless he runs off with the show committee. Let's not forget the other Paul (discuspaul).
Pat

I'd be more than pleased to join the group if a get-together is planned for Friday night. Not sure about Thursday yet.

Disgirl
06-06-2018, 03:47 PM
From what I know so far, there will be an evening speaker, after dinner(s) on Friday night. After spending most of the day alone, I know my husband Bill would enjoy getting together with others for some evening socializing.
Saturday night is also open for plans.
Barb

Second Hand Pat
06-06-2018, 03:47 PM
I will be going to Barb's ladies dinner but will be happy to help get the gents together :) Let's definitely do a get together for Thursday. :)
Pat

Second Hand Pat
06-06-2018, 03:48 PM
From what I know so far, there will be an evening speaker, after dinner(s) on Friday night. After spending most of the day alone, I know my husband Bill would enjoy getting together with others for some evening socializing.
Saturday night is also open for plans.
Barb

Remember there is the dinner banquet Barb but afterward...
Pat

RogueDiscus
06-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Hey Barb, that's news to me. Are you saying a speaker is planned for Friday evening?

Disgirl
06-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Hi Steve, just sent you a pm about it.
Barb

RogueDiscus
06-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Thanks Barb.
The show site says it's open, but maybe they've come up with something that isn't posted yet.

Altum Nut
06-06-2018, 08:56 PM
That's sound great Steve...I'm in unless there are duties with the show room that need tending to. I think you and I will have some means of shared responsibility that heaters and water quality is up to par.

...Ralph

RogueDiscus
06-06-2018, 10:53 PM
Given the number of times I've bugged Larry with show questions, it serves me right that now I'll be working it.

Keith Perkins
06-07-2018, 09:03 AM
There were some fine "late night discussions" in the showroom in Chicago, I don't imagine NJ will be any different.

Where are all the east coast folks? I note an absence of their presence on this thread.

discuspaul
06-07-2018, 11:53 AM
There were some fine "late night discussions" in the showroom in Chicago, I don't imagine NJ will be any different.

Where are all the east coast folks? I note an absence of their presence on this thread.

Excellent question !

Disgirl
06-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Hope I'm not the only one? It will take me about 10 hrs. of driving to get there, but due to my husband and his health we will do it in 2 days. We are in North Carolina. I will love I- 95 this trip for the fast drive northward.
Barb

discuspaul
06-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Hope I'm not the only one? It will take me about 10 hrs. of driving to get there, but due to my husband and his health we will do it in 2 days. We are in North Carolina. I will love I- 95 this trip for the fast drive northward.
Barb

You & your hubby have a safe & pleasant trip, Barb.
It'll be great meeting you & perhaps we might get a chance to discuss our common outside interest - remind me to tell you a true tale about my son.

Disgirl
06-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Will do Paul, really glad you will make this NADA! We have things to discuss for sure.

Kingdom Come Discus
06-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Everyone will be glad to hear my wife will be there all four days and yes I will be tagging along. We just booked the room. Can't wait to see everyone again!

Disgirl
06-08-2018, 08:39 PM
That is great to hear Kraig! It will be good to see you again.
Barb

Larry Bugg
06-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Everyone will be glad to hear my wife will be there all four days and yes I will be tagging along. We just booked the room. Can't wait to see everyone again!

That is great Kraig. Wouldn't be the same without you both. What day are you arriving?

Second Hand Pat
06-08-2018, 08:56 PM

It will be great to see you Kraig :) It has been a while.
Pat

Pardal
06-08-2018, 09:25 PM
Hi Guys and Gals, my wife Mary, and I, will be attending this NADA, looking forward to meet many of you in person.
Julian.

Second Hand Pat
06-08-2018, 10:10 PM
Hi Guys and Gals, my wife Mary, and I, will be attending this NADA, looking forward to meet many of you in person.
Julian.

It will be sweet to finally meet you Julian :)
Pat

Kingdom Come Discus
06-09-2018, 11:05 AM
That is great to hear Kraig! It will be good to see you again.
Barb Thank you Barb. It sure will be great to see you again too!

That is great Kraig. Wouldn't be the same without you both. What day are you arriving? Larry I appreciate the kind words. Our flight arrives in Newark at 9:00 am the 11th. As far as when we will get to the hotel that is entirely up to my wife.

It will be great to see you Kraig :) It has been a while.
Pat Pat I missed seeing you at Chicago. It is hard to believe Atlanta 2012 was the last time we got together, well the only time. LOL

I am going to miss Al and Liz for sure. But I understand as a couple of weeks ago it looked like work would not allow me to attend!

You better believe it is going to be a great time for everyone who attends!

LizStreithorst
06-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Thank you Kraig. I will miss seeing you too.

Larry Bugg
06-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Larry I appreciate the kind words. Our flight arrives in Newark at 9:00 am the 11th. As far as when we will get to the hotel that is entirely up to my wife.

That's great. If you happen to get to the hotel at a decent time on Wed. we would love for you to come and help us with set up. We get the room at noon and will start then building the stands and setting up tanks. If your wife has other plans that is certainly understood.

RogueDiscus
06-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Still nothing officially scheduled for Thursday, right?

Second Hand Pat
06-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Pat I missed seeing you at Chicago. It is hard to believe Atlanta 2012 was the last time we got together, well the only time. LOL

Kraig, you weren't at the 2014 show?
Pat

alcastro
06-09-2018, 07:01 PM
That is great Al...are you bringing your tools in case we need any auto repairs or modifications. Lol

...Ralph
No tools but you can pick my brain

Keith Perkins
06-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Still nothing officially scheduled for Thursday, right?

Correct Steve, that day's reserved for finishing the showroom and letting the fish settle in.

Kingdom Come Discus
06-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Kraig, you weren't at the 2014 show?
Pat

No Pat it was the only one I have missed. Wish I would have gone though!

Kingdom Come Discus
06-11-2018, 12:08 PM
That's great. If you happen to get to the hotel at a decent time on Wed. we would love for you to come and help us with set up. We get the room at noon and will start then building the stands and setting up tanks. If your wife has other plans that is certainly understood.

I will be glad to help Wednesday if the girls don't have me doing something else. It looks as if my youngest daughter Kelsey is coming too. Of course she and my wife are much more interested in the big city than the fish.

Larry Bugg
06-11-2018, 02:09 PM
I will be glad to help Wednesday if the girls don't have me doing something else. It looks as if my youngest daughter Kelsey is coming too. Of course she and my wife are much more interested in the big city than the fish.

LOL, I understand. My wife and 15 year old daughter and her best friend are coming. I say we are going to NJ and they say we are going to New York city.

RogueDiscus
06-11-2018, 02:37 PM
We should organize a NADA family group visit to the MET. :) My wife plans to go there along with visiting family and friends.

Pardal
06-12-2018, 11:27 PM
It will be sweet to finally meet you Julian :)
Pat
Same here Pat
Julian.

Second Hand Pat
06-13-2018, 06:48 AM
Same here Pat
Julian.

:thumbsup:

nc0gnet0
06-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Look forward to seeing you again Kraig!

-Rick

discuspaul
06-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Hey, I'm looking for a bit of help from you savvy friends -

I'd really like my wife Linda to accompany me to NADA 2018 - but she seems quite reluctant to do so - saying: "what am I going to do - I don't know any of the attendees except Pat - how many women are going to be there & what will they do as far as getting together & having a good time they will enjoy - any special plans for the women, either wives of members or female members attending the show - such as a visit to the nearby Woodbbrige Center Mall with 200 stores & so on !"

She's not interested in looking at championship discus being judged, but she does love meeting new people, and I think it would be an interesting, fun experience for her - anybody got anything to say that I can relay to her to convince her to come along and have a great time with all of you wonderful folks.

She's even changed her previous plans to go & visit her ageing mother a couple of hundred miles away in Trail, B.C. to consider whether or not I should book her on the flite with me to attend the show.

I'm looking for a bit of help here to convince her that she shouldn't miss this opportunity to attend NADA 2018!

Who's wives are accompanying heir hubbies, for example ?

Disgirl
06-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Hi Paul! I have been to the last 3 conventions, and at each there have been lots of wives, girlfriends and daughters of the discus guys. BUT, there are also ladies who keep discus too. I have organized the fun ladie's dinner for Friday eve. at the hotel restaurant and all will agree it is a FUN time. All ladies are welcome even if they are just along for the trip. Bring her, she will have a good time. I am driving my car so I can promise a ride to the mall one of the days we are there.
Barb

discuspaul
06-15-2018, 11:01 PM
That's great to hear, Barb - I'll tell her that - the more of this she knows, the more I think
it'll convince her the trip will be worth while, I hope.

RogueDiscus
06-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Hey, I'm looking for a bit of help from you savvy friends -

I'd really like my wife Linda to accompany me to NADA 2018 - but she seems quite reluctant to do so - saying: "what am I going to do - I don't know any of the attendees except Pat - how many women are going to be there & what will they do as far as getting together & having a good time they will enjoy - any special plans for the women, either wives of members or female members attending the show - such as a visit to the nearby Woodbbrige Center Mall with 200 stores & so on !"

She's not interested in looking at championship discus being judged, but she does love meeting new people, and I think it would be an interesting, fun experience for her - anybody got anything to say that I can relay to her to convince her to come along and have a great time with all of you wonderful folks.

She's even changed her previous plans to go & visit her ageing mother a couple of hundred miles away in Trail, B.C. to consider whether or not I should book her on the flite with me to attend the show.

I'm looking for a bit of help here to convince her that she shouldn't miss this opportunity to attend NADA 2018!

Who's wives are accompanying heir hubbies, for example ?

My wife is travelling with me, but will be visiting her brother nearby most of the time. She'll be joining me for the banquet though.

discuspaul
06-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Thanks for posting Steve.
Haven't succeeded in convincing Linda yet, but the aircraft seat right next to my selection, both going & returning, is still available, so maybe there's hope yet.

Hicgup
06-22-2018, 10:52 AM
My wife will be traveling with me. She is not interested much in Discus, or aquariums/fish, but bless her heart for the first 18 years we lived in our current house she let me have a fish room that occupied almost the entire two car garage (at one time 80 aquariums, at one time a 3,000 gallon salt water lagoon, and lastly just a few larger aquariums, the biggest one being a 405 gallon custom built). I just this year took the fish room out, so now she can finally park her mini van in the garage. She is a retired foreign language teacher (fluent in Portuguese her native tongue, French, Spanish, German, and of course English) and would appreciate having some other non fish fanatic females to talk to while I'm looking at the show fish and sponsor tables. She loves N.Y.C., so we will be spending an evening there before and after. I look forward to meeting you DiscusPaul, and you Larry, (yes I too say we are going to N.J., and my wife says we are going to N.Y.C.), you as well Barb (I hope to buy a spawning cone or two from you) and all the other fine folks that will be attending. Although I have almost no posts on this forum, I have been a member here for about seven years, and now am ready to be a more active member/participant. I have kept discus for years, wilds and domestic, and have spawned some, and raised hundreds of babies. I used to breed and show fancy guppies years ago, and loved the friendly competition, and am interested in raising some high quality discus up to competition standards.

discuspaul
06-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the support Hicgup, and the informative & interesting post. Looking forward to meeting you.

rickztahone
06-23-2018, 07:06 PM
I should be getting my flight ticket by tomorrow so count me in as well with my brother tagging along once again :)

Altum Nut
06-23-2018, 10:35 PM
That's great Ricardo...did not forget my friend I owe you a beer :grin:
Are you and your brother going to catch a ball game again.

...Ralph

Hicgup
06-24-2018, 07:37 AM
Say Ralph, don’t you owe me a beer? ;). Or am I confusing you with the ten people trolling this thread?
Seriously, I would love to buy you a beer and introduce myself. My wife has cousins in Toronto, maybe next time we go back to visit you can then buy me a beer:cool:

Altum Nut
06-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Say Ralph, don’t you owe me a beer? ;). Or am I confusing you with the ten people trolling this thread?
Seriously, I would love to buy you a beer and introduce myself. My wife has cousins in Toronto, maybe next time we go back to visit you can then buy me a beer:cool:

If your attending the show say hi then use the pass-code BEER. Would be great when you visit Toronto.

...Ralph

rickztahone
06-24-2018, 05:35 PM
That's great Ricardo...did not forget my friend I owe you a beer :grin:
Are you and your brother going to catch a ball game again.

...Ralph

Not sure about catching a game but you know my brother, he's going site seeing for sure

Keith Perkins
06-26-2018, 11:52 AM
If your attending the show say hi then use the pass-code BEER. Would be great when you visit Toronto.

...Ralph

Hmm... :D

yogi
06-26-2018, 05:43 PM
NADA has added a special program for Thursday night, July 12, from 8:00 to 9:30pm. This will give people attending the opportunity to show off their discus and other types of fish they keep, and their other pets!

It works like this: You shoot a narrated 3 to 5 minute video on your cell phone then load it onto a thumb drive. We will show it Thursday night at the convention. But to make this work we need at least 10 people signing up. We will have to cut it off at 20. We already have three people signed up If you want to participate and you are attending the show, send an email to discusnada@gmail.com with your name and indicating you plan to do a video for the Thursday night special program.

Thanks, Jerry

rickztahone
06-30-2018, 10:25 PM
Flight booked. My brother couldn't go unfortunately :(. How's Uber out there? Don't feel like renting a car as I dont plan on doing any local stuff. Catch some drinks locally and take up Ralph on his beer(s) offer lol

Disgirl
07-01-2018, 08:33 AM
Are there any bus tours of NYC offered by the hotel? That could be fun if there is time...

Jenene
07-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Hi Ricardo, my daughter is just across the pond in Manhattan and Uber is quite a staple there. I’m sure it’s no different on the Jersey side. Another alternative is Lyft but I’ve never used them. You should have a very easy time getting around.

Keith Perkins
07-04-2018, 03:37 AM
Quite sure Bob said there was a subway/train from the Newark airport to right near the hotel and a hotel shuttle available from there as well.

Only 5 more days until I start heading to NJ! Working through the final details it looks like this is going to be awesome show. The fish entries may be the most and best ever, going to be a bunch of vendors, not too late to sign up.

Altum Nut
07-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Flight booked. My brother couldn't go unfortunately :(. How's Uber out there? Don't feel like renting a car as I dont plan on doing any local stuff. Catch some drinks locally and take up Ralph on his beer(s) offer lol

My wife needs the Honda Pilot this time around so I'm renting a vehicle to drive there. My 1996 GMC Sierra might make it but why chance it on a 9 hr drive...so rental keys are available to you Ricardo if you need to go somewhere.

...Ralph

Axelrodi202
07-05-2018, 05:29 PM
Hello all. I just registered for this event, after being encouraged by discuspaul (on another forum). I live in north NJ not too far from the hotel so it's not too much trouble to get there.

I don't currently keep discus, but it has been my dream since age 6 to do so (I am 21 now). I have quite a few years of schooling ahead of me so it's not on the cards for a while, but in the meantime I'm looking to accumulate knowledge for when I do finally get to run a discus tank. In particular, I am interested in planted discus display tanks. If anyone is willing to offer some advice or companionship I'd be appreciative of it.

rickztahone
07-05-2018, 08:39 PM
My wife needs the Honda Pilot this time around so I'm renting a vehicle to drive there. My 1996 GMC Sierra might make it but why chance it on a 9 hr drive...so rental keys are available to you Ricardo if you need to go somewhere.

...Ralph

Thanks bud. I think I'll just see if I can train like Keith said. I should be landing at 3ish on Thursday. 6am flight my time

Keith Perkins
07-05-2018, 11:48 PM
Hello all. I just registered for this event, after being encouraged by discuspaul (on another forum). I live in north NJ not too far from the hotel so it's not too much trouble to get there.

I don't currently keep discus, but it has been my dream since age 6 to do so (I am 21 now). I have quite a few years of schooling ahead of me so it's not on the cards for a while, but in the meantime I'm looking to accumulate knowledge for when I do finally get to run a discus tank. In particular, I am interested in planted discus display tanks. If anyone is willing to offer some advice or companionship I'd be appreciative of it.

All you have to do is walk into the showroom, find two people talking, walk up, introduce yourself, and listen in. Your bound to learn a ton and meet a lot of good helpful folks. Welcome.

discuspaul
07-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Great to hear that you've registered for the NADA show and joined the SD forum.
See you there.

lenonh
07-08-2018, 10:53 AM
I live about 1 hour away from this event. Does anyone know if they sell Discus there as well. I had Discus years ago, but when Sandy hit....I lost them all due to no power and heat. I am looking to get back into it. I just clean out my tank and replaced old sand. I have a little more cycling to do in the water to feel comfortable adding any Discus.

Any suggestions about the pricing/location in NNJ to get fish would help.

Altum Nut
07-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Welcome to SD Lenon,

There will be quality breeders selling Discus and possibly some Show Discus entries may also find a way into your home on the Sunday.
So would encourage you are there early Sunday morning.

...Ralph

Keith Perkins
07-08-2018, 03:19 PM
There is 1 vendor selling a couple of pairs and 1 or 2 vendors selling numerous fish. There's also one individual who I believe is bring some younger fish. You can also often find out who particular show fish belong to and purchase them throughout the show, though the fish usually stay on site until Sunday morning or late Saturday night.

Dr. Smith who spoke in Chicago is again speaking in NJ. In Chicago he highly recommended one commercial product to cycle tanks. I used it shortly after the Chicago show and it worked very well, wish I could remember the name of it.

lenonh
07-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Keith, Are you speaking of the reverse osmosis? I am reading up on that method and it seems pretty good.

Keith Perkins
07-10-2018, 06:55 PM
No Lenon, it was a commercial bacteria product to basically instantly cycle the tank. I plan to ask him what it was and purchase some more right away...I'm bringing home fish one way or another.

RogueDiscus
07-11-2018, 02:34 PM
My fish are at the airport waiting for their flight. Just a little nervous :)

brewmaster15
07-15-2018, 01:11 PM
How about some pics and winner info guys?
al

Second Hand Pat
07-15-2018, 02:21 PM
I’ll post it tomorrow Al, the pictures and information is on my laptop and I’m sitting at the airport with a five hour delay. I don’t get home until after 11 PM.

It was a great show and I have a bunch of pics!!
Pat

Kirbs
07-15-2018, 02:29 PM
Can't wait to see the pics! I wish I could have gone!

Kingdom Come Discus
07-15-2018, 06:49 PM
It sure was a blast!

Keith Perkins
07-15-2018, 10:07 PM
It sure was a blast!

Said the man who was such a big help getting the tank stands built. Thanks for your expertise.

I’ll post it tomorrow Al, the pictures and information is on my laptop and I’m sitting at the airport with a five hour delay. I don’t get home until after 11 PM.

It was a great show and I have a bunch of pics!!
Pat

Pat and Ricardo did a great job, it will be well worth the short wait.

I'm about to start posting a few pictures to my nada thread. Maybe they will tie you over.

nc0gnet0
07-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Still stuck in NJ, myself, but would like to thank all those that made this show possible, and a very special thanks To Bob Balogh, Hans, and Larry that went way out of their way to help us tear down.

-Rick

discuspaul
07-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Sorry to hear from you yesterday afternoon that your flight home was cancelled, Rick.
I got to the airport only to find that numerous flites were significantly delayed, including mine back to Vancouver, and I didn't get home till around midnight Pacific time - a very long day.

It was an absolute zoo in the A gates section at the Newark airport when I got there around 3:30 p.m. - there wasn't a seat available pretty much everywhere at all the gates, and there was a line-up a block long to get into the men's room in that area - never seen anything like that in my life - I stood for much of the 4 hour wait to board and almost passed out a couple of times.

However, I must say the show was a blast for me. I couldn't believe how much hard work was put in by yourself Rick, and by Larry, Keith, Bob, Pat, Ricardo, and many, many others as well that contributed behind the scenes setting up, and dismantling. Apologies to all the names I've missed.

It was simply GREAT putting so many faces to the names - and I really enjoyed the many discussions I experienced with all of you wonderful people ! I was particularly thrilled to finally meet John N. in person, and witnessed how nuch help his daughter Jaimie was to others during the show.

Can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the experience !
Everything was better than I expected for my first time at a NADA show,

Keith Perkins
07-16-2018, 12:52 PM
Everything was better than I expected...

How about the price of your room service delivered burger? :devil:

Seriously though, no statement makes me happier than that one.

discuspaul
07-16-2018, 01:18 PM
How about the price of your room service delivered burger? :devil:

Seriously though, no statement makes me happier than that one.

Just so you all know, the bill for that cheeseburger went something like this - although some of the figures I estimated approximately, cause I can't recall the amounts exactly.

I discussed this with some hotel manager but never got back a satisfactory answer, because I strongly suspect someone made some mistakes and overcharged on the bill, and they didn't want to admit that to me, (they did give me a free $6.00 lunch though, @ the little lunch stand outside the show room) - I think the bill details went something like this:

- Burger price: $16.00
- Add cheese: 1.50
- Rm. serv. fee 2.00
- Deliv. fee (tip ?)5.90 (mistake ?)
- All Taxes 3.70 (mistake ?)

Total $29.10 (Can $ equivalent: approx. $37.80 !)

I digress though - Keith, I'm real pleased you're happy with my (sincere) comment.

Altum Nut
07-16-2018, 08:58 PM
I was shocked when you told me Paul....to bad our time chatting was not as long as I planned.
Think of it this way...and not sure it makes sense.
It might have been the same price during a NY Yankee ball game and had it personally served to your elite private box seat.
This Nada event was somewhat similar but it was delivered to your private room.

...Ralph

Kingdom Come Discus
07-18-2018, 07:53 PM
I just want to thank all who made this show possible. These guys are machines, working non-stop. Wednesday morning there wasn't any wood on site for the stands, just a empty room. These guys got the fish room ready, (about 120 tanks), in less than 12 hours. I was amazed! Needless to say like all NADA shows the fish were very nice. The time spent with old friends was priceless. I can't wait for the next one!

Second Hand Pat
07-19-2018, 07:28 AM
I just want to thank all who made this show possible. These guys are machines, working non-stop. Wednesday morning there wasn't any wood on site for the stands, just a empty room. These guys got the fish room ready, (about 120 tanks), in less than 12 hours. I was amazed! Needless to say like all NADA shows the fish were very nice. The time spent with old friends was priceless. I can't wait for the next one!

It was great seeing you and Kim, Kraig, you two looked awesome :D
Pat