PDA

View Full Version : Flora in my tank

tvo
05-31-2018, 09:33 AM
It has been 10 months since I received 16 tiny discus, the size of my thumb from Roguediscus. I started growing them out in a 40g breeder then moved to a 75g in the garage. Finally, they are moved in the house, to a 75g+40g sump to avoid the summer's heat.
It has been an interesting journey with lots and lots of water changes in the middle of the night and one mistake that almost killed all of them. In the end looking at them now, I am happy with the result. Thanks Roguediscus for giving me such a fine stock to work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYoanlhu7_A

danotaylor
05-31-2018, 10:00 AM
your Altum's look beautiful mate...nicely done on the grow out...if you don't mind helping me learn, what was the one mistake that almost killed all of them? And how did you correct it to manage to keep the majority which are stunning specimens? Thanks for sharing!

brewmaster15
05-31-2018, 11:30 AM
What a great group of Fish! Nicely done with the raising of them.
I have some blue snakes from Steve myself that I am really happy with. Steves a top notch Hobby breeder.
al

Gabriel13
05-31-2018, 04:32 PM
Big beautiful group you have there. Awesome...

DiscusKev
05-31-2018, 08:38 PM
Wow what a stunning group! Nice and chunky and round! Love the striations and the sharp red!

Hidan
06-01-2018, 02:39 AM
Impressive fish, they are real beauties. You have done a great job.

Hopefully mine will get as big as yours have.

jmf3460
06-01-2018, 07:40 AM
beautiful tank and fish, simple clean and big. I love it

sanjay21
06-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Beautiful fish !

tvo
06-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Thanks Daniel,
My big mistake was not check the aging water barrel temperature before the water change. Almost killed the whole tank because of temperature shock. I resorted to add a lot of hot water from the faucet, declorinator and Epsom salt to save them.

your Altum's look beautiful mate...nicely done on the grow out...if you don't mind helping me learn, what was the one mistake that almost killed all of them? And how did you correct it to manage to keep the majority which are stunning specimens? Thanks for sharing!

tvo
06-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Thank you Al. i also wanted some blue snakeskin from Steve, but he didn't have any at the time.

What a great group of Fish! Nicely done with the raising of them.
I have some blue snakes from Steve myself that I am really happy with. Steves a top notch Hobby breeder.
al

goldfish
06-01-2018, 01:54 PM
beautiful fish and good luck with the wc.

tvo
04-17-2019, 11:09 AM
It has been almost a year since the last update to this thread. I haven’t seen much growth from the discus this year, maybe half inch or so, but then I haven’t been feeding them as much like I used to. Life and work took a toll on me. Maintenance has gone down to twice a week, mostly on the weekends, 80% water changes each time. Tanks scrubbing is done whenever I couldn’t stand the black algae on the 3D background any longer. The discus are now strictly on dried pellets, the discus bio-gold brand, once a day. 10 discuses are outgrown the 75gallons. I plan to upgrade to a larger tank soon.
The 6 German blue rams have dwindled down to only one. I’m not sure the reason why the rams died. I tried to attach some anubias to the driftwood but it’s not growing very well. They get covered by black algae and it’s more work for me to scrub off the leaves every few weeks or so. Last week, I tried to add some bristlenose plecos to the tank, the thought was to help with the algae but immediately the discus assumed the pleco’s were food and pecked them to death. It was my fault really, the plecos were too small and there weren’t any hiding spots in the tank. They never had a chance. Also in the last week, I started to see some sign of aggressions among the discus, exhibiting what I can guess are pairing up. Two of the discus are constantly hovering over the breeding cone. I have my hopes up that these two will turn into a pair. I plan to move them to a smaller tank if they start to lay eggs on the cone. The thought of breeding discus excites me somewhat but then I have to admit I’m not ready for all that. Anyway thought I’d give you all an update. Below is a video, not the best of quality and lighting is a bit dark, but enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7vCbJxQBlA

bluelagoon
04-17-2019, 02:02 PM
Nice, very nice. Well done on raising a beautiful group of discus.

RogueDiscus
04-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Hi Tom, they look great. I'll blame Old-timers, but I admit I don't remember selling fish quite that small, but if I did, I guess I thought they were OK. You've done a nice job with them! I haven't been breeding much lately, too busy to keep up with the water changes, but I have a nice large batch of wigglers on the cone right now, possibly from the same parents. If they get off to a good start, I may try to raise this batch.

tvo
04-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Nice, very nice. Well done on raising a beautiful group of discus.

Thank you Melvin!

Hi Tom, they look great. I'll blame Old-timers, but I admit I don't remember selling fish quite that small, but if I did, I guess I thought they were OK. You've done a nice job with them! I haven't been breeding much lately, too busy to keep up with the water changes, but I have a nice large batch of wigglers on the cone right now, possibly from the same parents. If they get off to a good start, I may try to raise this batch.

Thanks Steve,
You practically gave these away to me for free. I didn't have any experience raising discus that small at the time so it was quite a challenge.

LizStreithorst
04-17-2019, 04:50 PM
It takes excellent breeding and excellent care to get Discus that good. Both of you have done an excellent job. It's nice to see small breeders doing well in this country.

Pices
04-17-2019, 05:16 PM
Amazing what you accomplished with these. Very cool. I admire your commitment.
Patty

danotaylor
04-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Stunning group Tom. Some nice variations in pattern and color. Nice thick round fish, great job! Thanks for the update mate!

Filip
04-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Wow . How did I missed this thread the first time .
Excellent quallity discus and very nice looking tank.
Steve and Tom , I'm impressed by your work folks .You have bred and raised some excellent Turks .