PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to SimplyDiscus!

brewmaster15
06-05-2018, 02:50 PM
It was suggested that we should create a place where new members can stop in and say HI and introduce themselves. Here you can ask any questions about how the forum works or how to do something. So please do drop in if you are a new to forum and either post here in this thread or start another and ask away. Forum members will try and get you started and on the right foot here at Simply. If for any reason you really need help you can report the thread and bring it to our moderators attention as well.

I will use this opportunity to also invite all the watchers and Lurkers to sign up as members here at the forum and join the community. Theres a wealth of experience here and many really good people.

Thanks and welcome again ,
SimplyDiscus Team!

Second Hand Pat
06-05-2018, 06:22 PM
I want to thank the member who suggested this...well done. :)
Pat

Pices
06-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Hi, my name is Patty and I’m a discuholic- just kidding, this is a great idea.
I have 2 questions:
How do I change my picture?
How do I add a quote that will show when I post?
Thanks much,
Patty

two utes
06-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Hi, my name is Patty and I’m a discuholic- just kidding, this is a great idea.
I have 2 questions:
How do I change my picture?
How do I add a quote that will show when I post?
Thanks much,
Patty

Hi Patty .....and welcome to Discus Anonymous ;)

Once you are logged in you can hit the settings button on the top right hand of your screen.
Once there you will see a 'My Settings' box where lots of options are there to edit your profile.
I believe you need to hit the 'Edit Avatar' button to obtain or change you picture.
The 'Edit signature' button will let you add a quote which will appear at the bottom of all your posts.

Good luck with that

discuspaul
06-05-2018, 10:03 PM
If you want to add a quote that will show when you post, just hit the "reply with quote" at the bottom of the post you want to quote, and it'll appear at the start of a new post for you to fill in as you wish & post.

pm9ljr
06-09-2018, 06:24 AM
Hello my name is Lloyd - I am fairly new to the forum and am really enjoying exploring all the information that is available.

LizStreithorst
06-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Hi there Lloyd. Welcome to Simply. If you have any questions just ask.

danotaylor
06-09-2018, 08:49 AM
G'day people. I am Daniel. Recently joined SD to research how to do discus successfully before I get myself & new group. Great to be here!

LizStreithorst
06-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Hi Daniel. Nice to meet you. You have come to the right place.

danotaylor
06-09-2018, 10:05 PM
thanks Liz!! love your new fish...stunning!!

LizStreithorst
06-09-2018, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Danial. I like 'em, too.:o

Kingdom Come Discus
06-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Welcome Daniel. Lots of good stuff here.

Paul Sabucchi
06-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Welcome to all the new members above, best thing to happen to discus after H2O!

Clarkie_59
06-14-2018, 03:34 AM
Hi all.

Been on here for a few months just reading up mainly. Some great information on here and cant believe how well I am going with these Discus;.

danotaylor
06-14-2018, 04:54 AM
Welcome Daniel. Lots of good stuff here.

Thank you KCD!!

Second Hand Pat
06-14-2018, 07:10 AM
Hi all.

Been on here for a few months just reading up mainly. Some great information on here and cant believe how well I am going with these Discus;.

Hi Shannon and welcome to Simply. I would love to see some pictures of your discus. Sounds like you are enjoying them. :)
Pat

LizStreithorst
06-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Welcome to Simply Shannon. We would love to hear more about your fish and like Pat said, pics would be great, too.

Disgirl
06-14-2018, 07:06 PM
I want to welcome all these new members to Simply Discus. You will learn so much here, as the rest of us have. Just read and read.
Barb

Clarkie_59
06-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Hi Shannon and welcome to Simply. I would love to see some pictures of your discus. Sounds like you are enjoying them. :)
Pat

Thank you all for the great welcome all. Here are a few pics. The Blue Scorpion and Checkerboard Pigeon? are laying eggs as i post. This is there second lot. Managed to get 7 out of the tank from the last batch which are doing ok. Still a amateur artificial raising. But now I know they are a proven pair will have to get a breeding tank.This artificial raising is hard work at the moment. And the other two at the right side of the tank have eggs on the cone at the moment there second go. I am a bit overstocked at the moment but looking to get another a Juwel 460 Vision just not paying two and a half grand. Must be doing something right.

Hope I was meant to post the pics here.

Cheers really appreciate the warm welcome

Shannon

Second Hand Pat
06-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Really pretty tank Shannon :) It's funny how a PB and non PB always seem to pair up!!
Pat

Clarkie_59
06-19-2018, 08:43 AM
There amazing to watch. Woke up last week thought they ate them. Just moved them. 3 times that happened. Any way will see how they go with this lot and get a 100lt tank for them. There starting to get it right after a few goes.

Thanks Pat

two utes
06-19-2018, 05:23 PM
There amazing to watch. Woke up last week thought they ate them. Just moved them. 3 times that happened. Any way will see how they go with this lot and get a 100lt tank for them. There starting to get it right after a few goes.

Thanks Pat

Welcome to Simply Discus. lts nice seeing another discus keeper from Melbourne.
Would be interested in following a thread on your fish...Care to start one?

Clarkie_59
06-19-2018, 08:55 PM
Only early days yet Pat. Was totally caught out with them breeding especially now they are succeeding and had a couple of losses in the beginning. Got spooked and hit the driftwood i suspect and then went down hill after that from there injuries. Tried to save them. Cut all the sharp bits of so had no incidents since I suppose this will be the next chapter in discus keeping trying to breed them.

I will get around to starting a thread.

Cheers

Giniel
07-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone, I am actually not new. Just returning after a long break from Discus. I used to breed as a hobby, I love these fish. I am still in management at Domino's Pizza. I have moved to Pineville, Mo. The water is not as easy on fish here as it was in mid Arkansas.
The TDS is anywhere from 300 to 1000. Yes each tank is different even though water is from same place and everything is done the same. ph is almost 8. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. I have a 75 gallon ,3 55 gallons, 4 20 gallons, 1 29 gallon and 4 10 gallons set up with fish already. mostly discus. A few angels in the 75 gallon for now. I have Convicts and jack dempseys that were given to me. I accidentally killed the jack dempsey fry yesterday. Not sure exactly what I did. I have 2 batches of convict fry , not sure what to do with them. lol. I have 2 sets of breeding discus but neither are settled enough to breed yet. One pair my white butterflies, she lays eggs and he either watches or eats them. I am glad to be back and will enjoy getting to know each of you.

Second Hand Pat
07-11-2018, 07:25 AM
Hi everyone, I am actually not new. Just returning after a long break from Discus. I used to breed as a hobby, I love these fish. I am still in management at Domino's Pizza. I have moved to Pineville, Mo. The water is not as easy on fish here as it was in mid Arkansas.
The TDS is anywhere from 300 to 1000. Yes each tank is different even though water is from same place and everything is done the same. ph is almost 8. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. I have a 75 gallon ,3 55 gallons, 4 20 gallons, 1 29 gallon and 4 10 gallons set up with fish already. mostly discus. A few angels in the 75 gallon for now. I have Convicts and jack dempseys that were given to me. I accidentally killed the jack dempsey fry yesterday. Not sure exactly what I did. I have 2 batches of convict fry , not sure what to do with them. lol. I have 2 sets of breeding discus but neither are settled enough to breed yet. One pair my white butterflies, she lays eggs and he either watches or eats them. I am glad to be back and will enjoy getting to know each of you.

Hi Debbie and welcome back :) You really are a returning member. :) I would suggest starting a thread in the water works part of the forum to try and get a better handle on your water. :)
Pat

jeep
07-21-2018, 11:10 AM
I have moved to Pineville, Mo. The water is not as easy on fish here as it was in mid Arkansas.

I love Pineville! I've been camping and canoeing there all my life!

Pices
07-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Welcome back Debbie. My dad was from Little Rock Ar and my mom was from Mo. Arkansas’ hills are like roller coaster rides! Also saw the gateway to the west as a kid. Look forward to seeing pics of those white butterflies and the rest.
Patty

brewmaster15
07-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Hey Debbie,
Welcome back! About the only thing I like as much as when a new member logs in and posts is when a previous one gets back into the hobby. Great having you back with us!
Al

chtty
07-26-2018, 04:20 AM
hi my name is paul and im in the uk. i am new to discus and learning all the time and hope to learn a lot more from this forum. i look forward to posting and reading your reply's. thanks for now

Filip
07-26-2018, 04:32 AM
hi my name is paul and im in the uk. i am new to discus and learning all the time and hope to learn a lot more from this forum. i look forward to posting and reading your reply's. thanks for now

Hi and welcome Paul .
Sticky subjects in the begginers section and Al's (SD owner)1 hour video on discus is a great place to start with .
Do not hesitate to ask questions and participate in any discusions , because participation from us members is what makes this forum going.

Good luck on your new journey Paul.

Pices
07-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Welcome to the forum Paul,
I’ll tell you the one thing no one else will. These fish can be very addicting. Once you get hooked, there’s no cure.
My husband tolerated my fish hobby until I showed him a discus, then bought some discus. Next thing you know my husband is into them, likes the way they great him when he gets home, likes that they are watching us watch them. Next trip to the fish store he says, “Look at this tank, isn’t it cool?” It’s a 125 gal. We had a 75 gal. You can have more discus in a 125. I’m not complaining. I’m even more addicted than him. You are here on SD now, so it’s probably too late for you anyway, but don’t say nobody warned you...ha ha
Patty

AQ_Hassaan
08-16-2018, 04:18 AM
Hi, My name is Aqdas Hassaan and I'm from South-Asia. I've always been interested in keeping discuss fish and I have just a little experience keeping discuss. Never bred one though. I'm enjoying my time here so far. A lot of important information you must have if you are planning on breeding discuss fish is here and honestly guys, thanks for that. :grin:

I will make sure to update you guys about my progress. Right now I don't have a pair but will get it soon.
Cheers and Regards..

Paul Sabucchi
08-16-2018, 06:08 AM
Welcome to the forum, always nice to have a new enthusiast join the group, having members from all over the world helps to broaden our horizons. Tell us more and attach photos if you want.

Filip
08-16-2018, 06:11 AM
Hi, My name is Aqdas Hassaan and I'm from South-Asia. I've always been interested in keeping discuss fish and I have just a little experience keeping discuss. Never bred one though. I'm enjoying my time here so far. A lot of important information you must have if you are planning on breeding discuss fish is here and honestly guys, thanks for that. :grin:

I will make sure to update you guys about my progress. Right now I don't have a pair but will get it soon.
Cheers and Regards..

Hi and welcome A. Hassaan .
I'm looking forward following your pair and breeding progress .

Pices
08-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Welcome to simply discus! I too look forward to seeing your pair. They have a lot to choose from there. I’ve never bred either, because I’d find it difficult to choose 1 kind of discus. I want them all!
Patty

scaryfish
08-26-2018, 01:48 PM
Hello, im Sam, a professional algae farmer from Canada! Im still new to aquariums, started my first tank back in January (10 gallon) and now I have 3 more haha. No fish so far, just shrimp and plants, hoping to change that in the near future. Would love have some discus sometime in the next 1-60 years haha. In the meantime I'll probably bug you all with questions :grin:

LizStreithorst
08-26-2018, 01:58 PM
Nice to meet you, Sam. Please ask away. We love answering questions and helping folks on their way.

RogueDiscus
08-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Welcome Sam! Ask away, that's one of the main values of the forum. How is your farmed algae used? Sounds interesting.

Paul Sabucchi
08-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Hi and welcome to this forum, nice friendly bunch here so ask to your heart's content, we never get tired of talking about discus or fish in general, heck at times we just can't quit chatting just about anything. Anyway better to ask first rather than wait for things to go sideways and need help fixing problems later. In my experience discus are real easy to keep as long as you give them what they need and it need not be complicated, plenty of folk here grow or keep great looking fish with barely more than 5 panes of glass, a heater and a sponge filter. In a nutshell: keep it simple, 1) buy the best quality fish budget allows -the sponsors on this forum are all tried and tested and ideally don't mix fish from different origins 2) plenty of clean water particularly if they are still growing 3) keep it clean so bare bottom tank or minimal decor 4) good quality food. Enjoy the ride

scaryfish
08-26-2018, 04:03 PM
Welcome Sam! Ask away, that's one of the main values of the forum. How is your farmed algae used? Sounds interesting.

I meant it in a tongue in cheek kind of way. Although if you can think of a way to make money off of algae let me know haha.

RogueDiscus
08-26-2018, 04:15 PM
I meant it in a tongue in cheek kind of way. Although if you can think of a way to make money off of algae let me know haha.

Ha, ha, you got me. I think there are some interesting things being done with algae these days, from food source, to eating oil or plastic, or absorbing CO2, if I recall correctly. But I catch your meaning :)

PorcelainChina59
12-04-2018, 07:18 PM
Hi my real name is Patti and while I'm new to trying to raise discus on my own, I have helped raise many for about 3 years when I was just a girl. I am a avid fish hobbyist, cichlids mainly.

Filip
12-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Hi my real name is Patti and while I'm new to trying to raise discus on my own, I have helped raise many for about 3 years when I was just a girl. I am a avid fish hobbyist, cichlids mainly.

Welcome aboard Patti. Fell free to interact with the rest of us here .

Combo
01-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Hi, everyone I am new to SD, and discus i have been in the fish keeping hobby for couple years my wife seen some discus and wanted to get some we started looking around walked in to LFS and a local breeder had brought some in the fish room guy told me that the local breeder was his most trusted fish breeder that he buys fish from so i bought 2 they are around 3" and after buying the discus putting in to a 29 gallon tank that has gravel and lava rocks in the bottom , I've read where to grow discus out they should be in bare bottom tank so should i remove all the gravel from the tank or setup a new tank with bare bottom and move them to it i have an empty 55 gallon tank no water or anything in it what would be less stressful as i just bought the fish about 5 days ago and need todo this as easy for the fish as possible

Roberth
01-26-2020, 10:43 AM
I am new to keeping fish and therefore am new to discus. I sure picked a challenging fish to keep but I fell in love with them the first time I saw them.
I have a 75 gal tank with 3-5” and 5” 2.5” discus

Sajal46
02-17-2020, 04:13 AM
Hello,

New member here and I have just got into hobby for discus. I have a 42gallon tank and 4 discus right now. Is that enough and what are the things I need to look out for as per their behavior to notice something strange?

My tank setup right now is attached as well. Please let me know if there is something that needs changing.

peewee1
02-17-2020, 11:02 AM
Hello,

New member here and I have just got into hobby for discus. I have a 42gallon tank and 4 discus right now. Is that enough and what are the things I need to look out for as per their behavior to notice something strange?

My tank setup right now is attached as well. Please let me know if there is something that needs changing.

Very nice! I like the background photo. Using the generally prescribed fish per gallon rule of 1 fish per 10 gallons of water then 4 would be enough. Some will say go to bare tank except that your tank is decorative and only might be a little more with maintenance because of the gravel. Otherwise it is simple and attractive. For starters this will work for you I suspect.

Willfish03
06-21-2020, 09:05 PM
Hello Everyone My name is Will, I am new to this forum, and I am exited to hopefully learn a lot about discus on here! I just want to ask how can I start a thread, or ask a question?

LizStreithorst
06-21-2020, 09:26 PM
Log in. Find the sub forum you want to post in. Hit "New Thread" Give your thead a title and type away. When you're done saying or asking what you want so say, hit "Submit Thread".

peewee1
06-21-2020, 09:28 PM
Hello Everyone My name is Will, I am new to this forum, and I am exited to hopefully learn a lot about discus on here! I just want to ask how can I start a thread, or ask a question?
Hi, Will! Welcome! Find the main forum page. Find the general topic heading then click. Click on begin new thread, title thread. Ask question just as you have already done.

pablos
06-22-2020, 06:15 AM
Hi!
I haven't had a chance to introduce myself. My name is Pawel and by some kind of combination of luck and choice I become an owner of few discus recently.

It's really nice to see such a great community with so many helpful people and a lot of advices from well experience aquarists.

LaFaun
01-09-2021, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a discus newbie. I've been breeding and distributing cichlids for decades primarily in St. Louis where I was known as the Krib guy. During the past year after relocating to San Antonio I have bred and sold Betta's and Peacock cichlids. My profession is Water Treatment Technetium. I have a Discus tank set up and am looking for fish. Does anyone in the San Antonio, TX area have fish for sale? If not which Discus stores do you recommend.

Johneo
01-17-2021, 07:27 PM
Hi, new member her and my name is John and we live in Augusta, GA. I’m planning to start my first ever discus tank next week and will be posting separately about that along with some questions.

My first tank and fish were a 10 gallon gl tank with goldfish back in the late 70s! Then I moved up to Oscars until I went to college. Got back in to keeping fish about twenty years ago and have had African cichlids and other South American cichlids. Current have a 110 African cichlid tank, a 75 South American tank with green and yellow Severums.

My wife of 27 years is unbelievably patient and enjoys watching and feeding the fish but that is it when it comes to our water pets We have two dogs, Lily and Talia. We call them our Georgia brown hounds as we rescued them 8 and 6 years ago. Lily is a beagle boxer mix and Talia is a lab pit bull mix. I also enjoy the outdoors, blacksmithing and am currently restoring a 65 Mustang with my 23 and 19 year old sons.

This forum looks great and I’m glad to have found it and look forward to sharing and learning.
Best,
John

pablos
01-18-2021, 01:40 PM
I also enjoy the outdoors, blacksmithing and am currently restoring a 65 Mustang with my 23 and 19 year old sons.

John, do you know that you have to show that Mustang? Otherwise no one would reply to your future posts at all ;)

Iminit
01-18-2021, 02:32 PM
Welcome John!! Looking forward to your discus build! Also there is a car thread :).

Johneo
01-18-2021, 05:39 PM
O my, the pressure is on now - here’s the mustang with one of our dogs, Talia, making a guest appearance. Rear end has been rebuilt with new trac-lock system and waiting for new brakes to arrive then reinstall. Head is at machine shop and then time to reassemble to rebuilt bottom end and new T5 transmission. Instead of a ‘frame off’ restoration, we’ve turned this one into a ‘drive train off’ restoration!

Hope the discus tank gets set up faster than this! But fun times and thankfully my wife has not made the discus tank conditional on completion of the Mustang and returning her parking space in the carport.

Best!

matt parsons
01-23-2021, 12:34 AM
My name is Matt Parsons.
I was on this forum way back in the day. I have kept a few discus and bred a few as well. I made some great friends and maybe hurt a few people’s feelings as well.( sorry about that) I took a break for awhile but an now slowly getting back into it. My life took me in a direction where keeping fish, or any pet was not possible but due to health reasons, I am no longer able to live that life. It may be a blessing because I was very passionate about discus and now I’m able to rekindle that passion.
I am very glad this forum has survived and grown into what it is today. I am grateful to have this resource to learn again the things I forgot and hopefully I can be even a little as successful as the people on this site.
Great job Al!
Respectfully, Matt

peewee1
01-23-2021, 01:06 AM
My name is Matt Parsons.
I was on this forum way back in the day. I have kept a few discus and bred a few as well. I made some great friends and maybe hurt a few people’s feelings as well.( sorry about that) I took a break for awhile but an now slowly getting back into it. My life took me in a direction where keeping fish, or any pet was not possible but due to health reasons, I am no longer able to live that life. It may be a blessing because I was very passionate about discus and now I’m able to rekindle that passion.
I am very glad this forum has survived and grown into what it is today. I am grateful to have this resource to learn again the things I forgot and hopefully I can be even a little as successful as the people on this site.
Great job Al!
Respectfully, Matt

Welcome, Matt! Anything of note happening this weekend in Green Bay? Get you some fish and let's get going!

matt parsons
01-23-2021, 03:22 AM
Welcome, Matt! Anything of note happening this weekend in Green Bay? Get you some fish and let's get going!.
Thanks for the welcome.

There’s the playoff game but since COVID it doesn’t mean much for our little town. No visitors, no bands, no fun. Lol. My excitement will be water changes. How about for you?

jeep
01-23-2021, 11:39 AM
There’s the playoff game but since COVID it doesn’t mean much for our little town. No visitors, no bands, no fun. Lol. My excitement will be water changes.

And Chiefs vs Packers!! :thumbsup:

Metalnbass@gmail.com
02-26-2021, 07:47 PM
Hello, somehow my email ended up under the username line when registering. Is there a way to change my username? I didn't see anything in settings. Thanks!

Batmandiscusguy
06-10-2021, 06:15 PM
Hi my name is Jordan. just started with discus about a year ago. Best decision ever made

LizStreithorst
06-10-2021, 06:43 PM
Welcome to Simply, Jordan. I read your first post about your bad experience when you first got Discus. I'm also sorry that you didn't find Simply first. But don't worry over your mistake. I know it was the fact that you didn't have the knowledge of what was up in the Discus world. You have found the place to get advice from those of us who have kept and bred Discus for years. Have fun and read around. You have found the best place to learn.

Batmandiscusguy
06-10-2021, 06:49 PM
Thank you. Just figured I'd try and help others stay away from using discus.com

Rockfella
06-17-2021, 04:20 PM
Hi.

I just have 5 Danios in a 10g :sorry:. Got curious about the Anoxic filtration system that got me here.

LizStreithorst
06-18-2021, 09:52 AM
Don't be sorry for not having Discus. We're glad to have you regardless. Hope you enjoyed the read about Anoxic filtration and that it helped you out. Actually, there's no telling what questions you might find the answers to here.

KayLively
06-25-2021, 02:33 AM
Hi all, I'm clearly new to this but I am wanting to get into breeding discus, we love them and have years of experience with fishkeeping and breeding, just not discus. We live in Southern Indiana (US), and I'm excited that this forum even exists!!! That being said I'm looking for a proven pair right now!!

LizStreithorst
06-25-2021, 09:10 AM
Welcome, Kay. Take a look at our sponsors for pairs, but read around first. Discus often produce hundreds of fry which take a whole lot of grow out space.

jeep
08-20-2021, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the forum Dreykon!! That's what we're here for, and to answer any questions you may have, as well as listen to any input you may provide!

Chinthaka
11-09-2021, 06:42 AM
I just want to thank you all for the great job you have done and want to contribute with my part. Feel really lucky to land here.

LizStreithorst
11-09-2021, 09:44 AM
What a lovely thing to hear first thing in the morning. We're lucky to have you here and look forward to hearing about your Discus adventures.

JasPR61
11-18-2023, 02:07 PM
Hi, very long time fish 'everything' hobbyist. I dare say I have done it all!
But now is a moment of truth-- after 50 years in the marine hobby and having had many Marine tanks and now just two, I'm thinking of saying goodbye to marines and hello to the ultimate discus aquarium ( in my definition and within my realities).

I currently have a 440 gallon marine aquarium - just fish in this one. It is 8FtX3ftX30" tall. It is serviced by two sumps totaling around 180 gallons so the whole system is around 600 gallons.
I've loved the marine tanks but recently lost two prize specimens (an Emp and a French angel) that were over 18 years old, after a brief poor failure. The other fish are in their teens and younger. The occasional guilt I feel about taking fish from the reef and housing them in a 'tiny' aquarium for their life time kinda haunted me now and then. Particularly when I look to stock up. And if you think fitting in new discus in an existing school is hard- try slipping in big boy marine angels and tangs and triggers in an established population- blood on the walls!
So I put it to some experts here- would you pull the trigger and build the ultimate discus aquarium or would you say stay with marines? I have tried to approach this from moral grounds, expense, new challenges etc and can't seem to come to a decision.
Also would you keep the sumps or go to big ehiem canisters? Thanks in advance for the input and opinions. Best, JR

Iminit
11-18-2023, 02:35 PM
First thing will be cleaning the tank and sumps of the salt residue. Lot of work for a 440g tank. Next discus can be heartbreaking. Please read as many threads here as you can. My advice would be to start smaller. As in a smaller tank. 75,90 or. 125g. Just get your feet wet to see if you’re up for the challenge. Marine and discus are apples and oranges.

brewmaster15
11-18-2023, 03:50 PM
Hi, very long time fish 'everything' hobbyist. I dare say I have done it all!
But now is a moment of truth-- after 50 years in the marine hobby and having had many Marine tanks and now just two, I'm thinking of saying goodbye to marines and hello to the ultimate discus aquarium ( in my definition and within my realities).

I currently have a 440 gallon marine aquarium - just fish in this one. It is 8FtX3ftX30" tall. It is serviced by two sumps totaling around 180 gallons so the whole system is around 600 gallons.
I've loved the marine tanks but recently lost two prize specimens (an Emp and a French angel) that were over 18 years old, after a brief poor failure. The other fish are in their teens and younger. The occasional guilt I feel about taking fish from the reef and housing them in a 'tiny' aquarium for their life time kinda haunted me now and then. Particularly when I look to stock up. And if you think fitting in new discus in an existing school is hard- try slipping in big boy marine angels and tangs and triggers in an established population- blood on the walls!
So I put it to some experts here- would you pull the trigger and build the ultimate discus aquarium or would you say stay with marines? I have tried to approach this from moral grounds, expense, new challenges etc and can't seem to come to a decision.
Also would you keep the sumps or go to big ehiem canisters? Thanks in advance for the input and opinions. Best, JR
Hi JR, That would make one seriously nice Discus Tank! Im jealous!

Not to answer your question with a question but to better help /advise you. Back in August You posted a few posts about your 167 gal tank with 13 discus in it... How did you make out with those discus in that tank? Did you run into any issues? Or learn enough about the discus that you can significantly upsize the system you had?
Al