PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclear 550 aka 110 sponge replacements

brewmaster15
06-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Looking for users of the aquaclear 500 aka 110 filters. ... where do you guys get your replacement sponges. The ones aquaclear sells are super expensive. I have bought bulk ones on ebay and amazon that are cheap but ok. The problem is the pores seem larger and they fall apart after a few months...which concerns me as that means they are breaking down...not something I want in my water.

For a while big als online sold a blue sponge replacement under their name ..havent seen them in years there. Swiss tropicals poret foam is great but I really want it cut to size... Lame I know.I could easily cut it myself..

Anyone have a source of good quality foam replacements for the aquaclears? I run about 20 of them as well as the Aquaclear 50 and use the sponges as prefilters also.

thanks,
Al

Adam S
06-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Stephan will cut foam to size if you ask. The stock AC 110 sponges are something like 3.5"x3.5"x9.5", but they leave room in the basket (I don't use carbon or the ceramic media). I made a few 5"x3.5"x9.5" sponges in either 10 or 20ppi, and they worked pretty well. Expensive, but it is Poret.

0Dgreen
06-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Looking for users of the aquaclear 500 aka 110 filters. ... where do you guys get your replacement sponges. The ones aquaclear sells are super expensive. I have bought bulk ones on ebay and amazon that are cheap but ok. The problem is the pores seem larger and they fall apart after a few months...which concerns me as that means they are breaking down...not something I want in my water.

For a while big als online sold a blue sponge replacement under their name ..havent seen them in years there. Swiss tropicals poret foam is great but I really want it cut to size... Lame I know.I could easily cut it myself..

Anyone have a source of good quality foam replacements for the aquaclears? I run about 20 of them as well as the Aquaclear 50 and use the sponges as prefilters also.

thanks,
Al

Swiss Tropicals used to pre-cut whatever you want and it was be much cheaper than the Fluval/AQ replacements, just shoot them an e-mail with a quote...It's been years since I did this but I think they were like $1.25/per (before shipping) and the price fluctuated depending on quantity.

matt2426
06-10-2018, 12:01 PM

thanks,
Al

Have you checked out www.Kensfish.com his prices are pretty good.