PDA

View Full Version : Larry's "Your Story" 1

Larry Bugg
06-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Guess my first entry should be discus, lol. So, the story......... In 2008 I joined the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association and one of the first persons I met just happened to keep and breed discus, along with many other kinds of fish. The discus really intrigued me especially when I first saw a pair with fry. I was especially taken by the wilds he kept and primarily the brown based. Some of the first discus I purchased were wilds. I have kept both domestic and wilds but the wilds were always my favorites. When we moved and I built out the new fish house I decided that I wanted to limit what I was breeding to wild or wild/cross brown based. About 1 1/2 years ago I bought a possible pair of Alenquer F1's from Uncle Sam's Discus and several months later I purchased a couple more. The original pair spawned numerous times but I could never get them past a few days free swimming. Frustrated I moved the male in with one of the newer females and low and behold after 5 or 6 tries they finally figured it out. I now have a small batch (25 or so) at one month old. Hopefully this is the start of a good thing.11595811595911596011596111596211596311596411 5965

LizStreithorst
06-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Mr. Bugg, your fish make me drool.

0Dgreen
06-12-2018, 02:37 PM
great pair Larry...that halo on the female is amazing

Swedgin
06-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Wow. Looking forward to seeing the fry grow

Gabriel13
06-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Great looking pair! I look forward to seeing the fry grow out. Beautiful.

Pices
06-12-2018, 03:46 PM
I saw the 4th pic and OMG. That’s the most beautiful fish I’ve ever seen. I’m dumbstruck so I’ll just leave it at that.
Patty

LizStreithorst
06-12-2018, 03:55 PM
I saw the 4th pic and OMG. That’s the most beautiful fish I’ve ever seen. I’m dumbstruck so I’ll just leave it at that.
Patty

Mr. Bugg knows good fish. He's a Discus judge. Not sure if he's an international judge but he has the eye to be one.

thomaswal
06-12-2018, 04:29 PM
Great looking fish indeed!

May I just ask which one is which (female/male)?
Is the female the one with the black halo?

Larry Bugg
06-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Mr. Bugg, your fish make me drool.

Mr. Bugg knows good fish. He's a Discus judge. Not sure if he's an international judge but he has the eye to be one.

Thanks Liz. You and I both have similar taste in discus and angels. Nope, not an international judge just NADA but I appreciate the compliment.

Larry Bugg
06-12-2018, 06:35 PM
great pair Larry...that halo on the female is amazing

Thanks Mike. It is a very nice halo indeed but is not unusual in wilds.

Great looking fish indeed!

May I just ask which one is which (female/male)?
Is the female the one with the black halo?

Yes, the one with the halo is the female which is typical of wild fish. While some males may exhibit halos they don't compare to the females. This pair follows another sorta rule for wilds. Typically with wild browns we find solids to be females and patterned ones to be males.

Larry Bugg
06-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Wow. Looking forward to seeing the fry grow

Great looking pair! I look forward to seeing the fry grow out. Beautiful.

Thank you both. I also can't wait to see the fry grow out!!

Larry Bugg
06-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Patty

Thanks Patty, I'm really happy with these guys. Very much the kind of discus I want to work with.

danotaylor
06-13-2018, 12:59 AM
stunning fish Larry...congrats on the fry...what are your plans with them?

Larry Bugg
06-13-2018, 07:32 AM
stunning fish Larry...congrats on the fry...what are your plans with them?

I already have people locally asking for them so I'm torn. Would really like to grow some of the me out but with a batch this small it is hard to do both. Hopefully the pair will get busy soon and produce some more.

Second Hand Pat
06-13-2018, 07:44 AM
Absolutely gorgeous pair Larry :) I can see why you are excited to work with them.
Pat

brewmaster15
06-13-2018, 08:23 AM
Glad to see you are in the Running Larry! Best of luck, and yes I agree with Pat and the others..Very very nice pair!. Those fry have a serious Eye Bar, I will be watching those Grow.:)

al

Larry Bugg
06-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Glad to see you are in the Running Larry! Best of luck, and yes I agree with Pat and the others..Very very nice pair!. Those fry have a serious Eye Bar, I will be watching those Grow.:)

al

Thanks Al. Would you explain a little about the "serious Eye Bar"? To be honest I really hadn't paid it any attention and now going back and looking they are strong. What do you think this means?

Second Hand Pat
06-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Thanks Al. Would you explain a little about the "serious Eye Bar"? To be honest I really hadn't paid it any attention and now going back and looking they are strong. What do you think this means?

Hi Larry, I went back to one of my threads where a wild pair of Cuipeua spawned and noted they seemed to have the eye bar also. Alenquers are very close to where Cuipeua are collected I think. Check out the pictures in this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?102762-Wild-Red-Cuipeua/page10 Post 149. You can see the eye bar in four of the fry present.
Pat

Larry Bugg
06-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Hi Larry, I went back to one of my threads where a wild pair of Cuipeua spawned and noted they seemed to have the eye bar also. Alenquers are very close to where Cuipeua are collected I think. Check out the pictures in this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?102762-Wild-Red-Cuipeua/page10 Post 149. You can see the eye bar in four of the fry present.
Pat

Thanks Pat. Cuipeua is actually a location in the Alenquer Region. The Alenquer Region is quite large. I'm guessing Al can expand a little on it.

sanjay21
06-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Thanks Pat. Cuipeua is actually a location in the Alenquer Region. The Alenquer Region is quite large. I'm guessing Al can expand a little on it.

That piece of information is gold ! lol I didn't knew that, I always thought they are two different locations.

Beautiful pair Larry :) this will be a very nice thread to watch them grow !

sanjay21
06-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Pat

Wow ! Pat. I never ran into that thread before but I'm glad I did. What a beautiful sight that would have been to watch wilds spawn and raising the fry ! One day I will have a tank setup like that :)

Second Hand Pat
06-14-2018, 01:26 PM

I know that Larry :) What I was trying to show is since Alenquer and Cuipeua are basically local to each other is the presence of the eye bar might be common in the fry from that locale. Also could be the eye bar is common in the fry of all wild (or near wild) discus. I need to go check the pictures for my wild Tefe spawn.
Pat

Second Hand Pat
06-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Wow ! Pat. I never ran into that thread before but I'm glad I did. What a beautiful sight that would have been to watch wilds spawn and raising the fry ! One day I will have a tank setup like that :)

I think that thread is in my homesteader Sanjay. There is all kinds of little jewels in there...but back to Larry's thread :D
Pat

LizStreithorst
06-15-2018, 10:16 PM
I know that you love real wilds, Pat but IMHO you should consider some of Mr. Bugg's home bred ones. Just my two cents.

Pices
06-16-2018, 09:13 AM
Thanks Patty, I'm really happy with these guys. Very much the kind of discus I want to work with.
Very much the kind of discus I’ve got to have someday. I’d say you’ve given me the Bugg!

Second Hand Pat
06-17-2018, 10:12 AM
I know that you love real wilds, Pat but IMHO you should consider some of Mr. Bugg's home bred ones. Just my two cents.

I would Liz but Larry's mentioned he is keeping what he has for now. :)
Pat

pastry
06-17-2018, 10:02 PM
I would Liz but Larry's mentioned he is keeping what he has for now. :)
Pat
Aaawwww maaan... Well hurry up and spawn more Larry!:p.

Larry Bugg
07-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Just got back from a weeks vacation at the beach. It is quite nice to come back to this.................

LizStreithorst
07-01-2018, 02:48 PM
It's about dang time for an update, Mr. Bugg. All looks good. I want to see the fry on their parent's backs in the next picture you post.

Pices
07-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Very cool! Nice welcome home present.
Patty

Filip
07-06-2018, 08:48 AM
This is an award winning pair Larry .
I can only imagine the fellow hobbyist interest for its future fry :) .

Larry Bugg
07-21-2018, 05:29 PM
The NADA Show really tied me up keeping me from taking pictures, videos or updating. I have been gone on two separate week long vacations and the first spawn has really suffered. I knew they would but not much to do about it. The last spawn I showed in a video before NADA never attached. Came home from NADA on Monday to a fresh spawn. I removed the sponges and dropped the water to the adults and I put a light on one side of the tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0NtgaUDhEI&feature=youtu.be

RogueDiscus
07-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Wow, those are beauties! Good luck.

You're the third now I know of to report coming home to spawns after NADA. We need to go away more often.

discuspaul
07-21-2018, 06:31 PM
I`m a little late offering my compliments to you, Larry.

You`ve accomplished something with your beautiful wilds that many others before you have tried but been quite unsuccessful with, based on the many accounts I`ve read over the years.

Bravo - I admire your determination & good work.

DiscusBR
07-21-2018, 07:18 PM
Gorgeous pair, Larry! Congratulations. What a nice sight the beautiful parents swimming with the fry. It is funny, but my first wild discus spawn happened when I was on vacation. Sometimes they just wait for us to get our of their way to get busy :)

Kirbs
07-21-2018, 08:31 PM
That's a beautiful video Larry! Gorgeous pair! Keep posting their progress!

Second Hand Pat
07-21-2018, 09:26 PM
Wow Larry, what a gorgeous pair and how proudly they carry their fry. :D
Pat

Larry Bugg
08-18-2018, 01:09 AM
Promised Liz an update. The spawn ended up at around 100 fry and they have done great. At around 18 days the pair made it very obvious that the fry needed their own tank so I moved them into a 75. The pair have recovered nicely and should be about ready to spawn again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiOVGa491S4&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_3NwXB_Flk&feature=youtu.be

Second Hand Pat
08-18-2018, 08:21 AM
Love this pair Larry, they are great looking fish. :D I believe the second video is private.
Pat

Larry Bugg
08-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Love this pair Larry, they are great looking fish. :D I believe the second video is private.
Pat

Thanks Pat. I fixed the video.

LizStreithorst
08-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Ah, yes. That was what I was wanting to see. You have a couple of Apostos in with them. Too cool. I know that if it didn't work you wouldn't do it, but don't they out compete the baby discus for food.

Thanks, Mr. Bugg.

Larry Bugg
08-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Ah, yes. That was what I was wanting to see. You have a couple of Apostos in with them. Too cool. I know that if it didn't work you wouldn't do it, but don't they out compete the baby discus for food.

Thanks, Mr. Bugg.

Lol, I needed their tank and I have another pair that have juvies. Actually they are one of my other two entries. So I moved them to the grow out tank for lack of a better place to put them right now. There are two of them and 100 juvie discus so I'm not worried about a eating issue.

LizStreithorst
08-18-2018, 09:39 PM
The multitudes had the advantage....

You are lacking tank space in your beautiful new fish room? How can that be? Never mind. That has happened to me too many times for me to mention.

Larry Bugg
08-18-2018, 10:18 PM
The multitudes had the advantage....

You are lacking tank space in your beautiful new fish room? How can that be? Never mind. That has happened to me too many times for me to mention.

I think I have mentioned this before but the size of the fish house was intentional. I want this to remain a hobby............not work, so I'm limited to the size of the building. Depending on what I'm working with I have lots of room or am out of room on a fairly regular basis. Right now the angels that I kept for my next generation of breeders have matured and I have 6 possible and proven pairs in their own tanks. I also have 4 discus remaining from a group of grow outs and wouldn't you know it they are now two new proven pairs. As soon as I get sorted out which of these I'm going to keep then those tanks will be freed up again. It's a cycle.

LizStreithorst
08-18-2018, 10:29 PM
A never ending cycle. There is never enough room regardless of how large the fish house.
I think I have mentioned this before but the size of the fish house was intentional. I want this to remain a hobby............not work, so I'm limited to the size of the building. Depending on what I'm working with I have lots of room or am out of room on a fairly regular basis. Right now the angels that I kept for my next generation of breeders have matured and I have 6 possible and proven pairs in their own tanks. I also have 4 discus remaining from a group of grow outs and wouldn't you know it they are now two new proven pairs. As soon as I get sorted out which of these I'm going to keep then those tanks will be freed up again. It's a cycle.