PDA

View Full Version : Two Utes Time Lapse

two utes
06-12-2018, 05:57 PM
I've been toying with the idea for a long time now, to take a sequence of photos of one of my discus, and do a time lapse video clip on its development. Not so much on size but how the colors and patterns change throughout its growth.

This fun competition may present me with the opportunity to do so, though l may be away from time to time, particularly for my 3 week trip away with my family to America and the NADA Discus Show.

I have a 75 gl tank in my living area which has housed different fish over the last 30 years, mainly discus but i had strayed a few times. I was excited to find a local breeder who had a beautiful pair of snakeskin, Penang Spotted Eruptions, and was itching to purchase a batch of fry off him to raise in this tank. I was very patient and waited for the opportunity to buy a group of 18 and documented their growth and how i raised them in my 'Getting Back Into Discus' thread which was lots of fun.

So here i am two and a half years later with another group of 18 discus which are the spawn of one of the pairs l successfully raised and bred from that first batch.

This group hatched on the 9th of December 2017, which makes them 6 months old now, and the first thing i noticed was that they were not all snake skins or spotted eruptions either, but i decided to keep a few to raise and see exactly what they are.

Before i go much further though here is a few pictures of the parents which i still have in a breeder tank in my bathroom.

So you would expect that their offspring will look something like them at some stage, but that may not be the case. I have carefully observed these guy grow and develop, and i must say how intrigued i was on how discus look after and raise their young.

I was soon forced into setting up a grow out tank, this time in my garage where i raised 50 plus fish to approx' 1 inch and the hard decision which ones to bring back into my 75 gl tank inside

I picked 20 fish to bring inside and i lost two jumpers through the tinniest of gaps in my cover glass.
So the big question now is....Which discus do i pick for this 'Time Lapse' thread?

....to be continued

danotaylor
06-13-2018, 01:03 AM
beautiful Joe...don't suppose you could bring a few of your sweet-as Penang's the to US for me hey mate? :p

Darren's Discus
06-13-2018, 02:09 AM
Excellt work Joe.

brewmaster15
06-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Joe, very cool project it! Keep it up and I am sure there will be some very interesting images!

Good luck!

al

two utes
06-14-2018, 03:39 AM
beautiful Joe...don't suppose you could bring a few of your sweet-as Penang's the to US for me hey mate? :p

Thanks Daniel. Don't think its that easy mate.

Excellt work Joe.

Thanks Darren.

Joe, very cool project it! Keep it up and I am sure there will be some very interesting images!

Good luck!

al

Thanks Al. It was actual one of your projects that you did with your kids that gave me the idea. Hope it works out

Second Hand Pat
06-14-2018, 07:18 AM
Very cool project Joe :) and quite a variety across the batch. Depending on how many you will track perhaps you could allow the members to select a few they might be interested in following.
Pat

sayid
06-14-2018, 08:39 AM
That will make a very interesting experiment project ,it reminds me of a few years ago when you came up with the video when you blow brine shrimp through a tube to feed the fish while you were filming them and yourself from the other side of the tank,you are quite innovative with these kind of ideas. BTW i had problem with jumpers at night and what i did was to buy a small led night light that comes on when it is dark and that stopped them freak out .

two utes
06-15-2018, 03:17 AM
Very cool project Joe :) and quite a variety across the batch. Depending on how many you will track perhaps you could allow the members to select a few they might be interested in following.
Pat

Thanks Pat. I've never attempted anything like this before and interested to see how it turns out. Though to get the best effect i may carry it through for a full 12 months....Did i just say that out loud???
I was only planning to track the one fish but if anyone takes a fancy to another l'll take regular pictures of that one as well.

That will make a very interesting experiment project ,it reminds me of a few years ago when you came up with the video when you blow brine shrimp through a tube to feed the fish while you were filming them and yourself from the other side of the tank,you are quite innovative with these kind of ideas. BTW i had problem with jumpers at night and what i did was to buy a small led night light that comes on when it is dark and that stopped them freak out .

Thanks Sayid. I have one of those lights that i used on my breeder tank and was very effective.
I remember that video well. Looking from the inside out. I remember seeing the underwater camera on T.V. and thought what a great birthday present for my wife....nec minute ;)

two utes
06-15-2018, 03:41 AM
So i think I've selected the discus that i want to follow, and it has also been suggested to allow you to pick fish that you want to follow. I'm happy to take regular pictures of any other discus as well, so feel free to let me know which ones

First here's a couple of random shots from the tank a little while ago

The discus i picked has distinctive spots at the base of its dorsal fin, shaped like a cross, pictured and highlighted here

So Ive taken some more pictures of this discus, and will use the photos in the time lapse video that i will put together at the end of this competition, but probably carry it over for a full 12 months

I also have these shots of the same discus that were taken awhile back.

Finally a very short video of the tank tonight...see if you can pick it....Maybe we should give 'it' a name....any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C7FrR27Ar0

danotaylor
06-15-2018, 05:00 AM
I reckon it is the fish in centre frame at 37 and then 122-128 secs as the vid wraps up...what about naming the fish in question "southern cross" since you're both aussie's? For the international SD crew, the southern cross is a star constellation prominent in the southern hemisphere in the winter months, and is the symbol seen on the aussie flag...just a thought.
Great work Joe...as always mate...ausie aussie aussie, oi oi oi!

two utes
06-16-2018, 03:02 AM
I reckon it is the fish in centre frame at 37 and then 122-128 secs as the vid wraps up...what about naming the fish in question "southern cross" since you're both aussie's? For the international SD crew, the southern cross is a star constellation prominent in the southern hemisphere in the winter months, and is the symbol seen on the aussie flag...just a thought.
Great work Joe...as always mate...ausie aussie aussie, oi oi oi!

Dan. You picked the discus out well. I also like the name Southern Cross, it is very appropriate, though i think ill abbreviate it to SC. Thanks for your input

two utes
06-16-2018, 03:23 AM
As i observe and wait for a good photo opportunity i cant help but notice the interaction between individual fish in this tank. I'm sure a pecking order has well and truly been established, and i think that SC is on the end of it

Some more pictures from the group this afternoon, and l hope to give the tank a good wipe down during a water change tomorrow. Water changes are being maintained at 30% every 4th day

Pices
06-16-2018, 08:37 AM
I wouldn’t be able to pick just one fish to follow. They are all so beautiful. I like the music you chose for you video too, “You know I’m such a fool for you.” I’ll be singing the rest of the verse while doing wc today, “you got me wrapped around your finger”
Patty

danotaylor
06-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Dan. You picked the discus out well. I also like the name Southern Cross, it is very appropriate, though i think ill abbreviate it to SC. Thanks for your input

No worries mate...SC is beautiful looking fish...all of them look to have inherited the great shape of the parent pair.

two utes
06-17-2018, 05:33 AM
I wouldn’t be able to pick just one fish to follow. They are all so beautiful. I like the music you chose for you video too, “You know I’m such a fool for you.” I’ll be singing the rest of the verse while doing wc today, “you got me wrapped around your finger”
Patty

Thanks Patty. There are a few there that are really taking my interest...they sure do have us wrapped around their finger ;) Hope you enjoyed doing the water change

No worries mate...SC is beautiful looking fish...all of them look to have inherited the great shape of the parent pair.

That was one of the major factors that made me keep the ones i did Dan. It wasn't so much about size but mainly their shape.

two utes
06-17-2018, 05:44 AM
I hope that the pictures aren't looking all the same and the reason that i'm including some group shots. Obviously the changes wont be noticeable from day to day, but i hope that once i string them together over the next two months we will see the transformation appear in front of our eyes...hang in there with me.

SC was the center of attention this evening

two utes
06-18-2018, 04:53 PM
Ive always been interested from the very start about these guys, and now wondering what they would be classified as. Would they be a spotted leopard?

SC pics for time lapse video. Is the RH dot on the cross changing shape? Its looking a little bit like a heart

two utes
06-24-2018, 11:30 PM
I've been flat out like a lizard drinking over the last few days helping our fishing club organize our annual presentation dinner, and with that out of the way i can start concentrating on my trip to America with my family and off coarse the NADA Discus show

Its not always a quick job to get SC to come to the front of the tank for a quick shot...well that and waiting for the lighting to be right to get minimum glare. I will try my best to get a few more day in before i leave for the trip on Friday.

The group are doing well, and from past experience i put it down to them being in a larger group. They are starting to fill the tank well and i think that after i get back from my trip i will have to take out four or five fish.
Its always hard picking fish to remove as i starting to be able to recognize each of them from their different markings.

Here's a shot i took of the group during a water change yesterday, and with the rear cover off the tank116344

And a couple more off SC for his time lapse video to come at the completion of the comp.

two utes
08-26-2018, 06:05 PM
My sincere apologies for not following through with this thread. Not trying to make excuses but being away for the three weeks and then busy with everything else going on after i got back put me off. I did go looking for the fish in question, and he had changed a little more. I must admit, i was getting a little bored with the images, and im sure you were too. I've been following some of the other contest threads, and enjoying the progress. Good on you all for seeing it through.

Swedgin
08-27-2018, 02:40 PM
My sincere apologies for not following through with this thread. Not trying to make excuses but being away for the three weeks and then busy with everything else going on after i got back put me off. I did go looking for the fish in question, and he had changed a little more. I must admit, i was getting a little bored with the images, and im sure you were too. I've been following some of the other contest threads, and enjoying the progress. Good on you all for seeing it through.

Well it’s been 2 months since the last pic, would love to see a current one.

Paul Sabucchi
08-27-2018, 04:50 PM
Never boring looking at your fish!

Pices
08-27-2018, 09:38 PM
Joe, I’ve really enjoyed your thread.
Patty

two utes
08-28-2018, 03:59 PM

Sure thing Tobi...Ill capture a new shot the first opportunity i get.

Never boring looking at your fish!

Thanks Paul. Glad you like my fish. Much appreciated

Joe, I’ve really enjoyed your thread.
Patty

Thanks Patty. Didn't quit finish off like i had planned.

two utes
08-29-2018, 03:13 AM

Don't think he'll be one that i'll be keeping when i reduce the group down to 12 in a week or two

danotaylor
08-29-2018, 03:49 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...SC...even though it has the "love heart" gene LOL

Jody
08-29-2018, 04:24 PM
I am very much so enjoying this thread as a new member of this forum! I would love to continue seeing updates. Very good looking discus.

Swedgin
08-30-2018, 06:26 AM

Don't think he'll be one that i'll be keeping when i reduce the group down to 12 in a week or two

See, it was worth it though. Great progress and not the worst picture, either :)

JamesW
08-30-2018, 09:25 AM
What happens to the fish that don't stay when you 'reduce' the group?

Just curious as obviously the grow out potential of all discus even from a single batch isn't the same but do you end up with more males than females?

two utes
08-30-2018, 04:37 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...SC...even though it has the "love heart" gene LOL

Hahaha...That's right Dan...Southern Cross's heart is not going to save him ;)

I am very much so enjoying this thread as a new member of this forum! I would love to continue seeing updates. Very good looking discus.

Welcome to the forum Jody.
I noticed this was your first post. Glad you have enjoyed my little thread, but if you want to look at the whole journey on how i started up again check out my 'Back into Discus' thread.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?119095-Getting-back-into-Discus/page21

I may put up another picture of this fish before i cut the group down to twelve, but im not sure yet...its always very difficult on deciding on who goes and who stays. The first two i pick will be very easy, as i dont like their shape at all. I would love to hear where you're at with the hobby, or if you're just thinking about starting out. One thing for sure is that you will get lots of enjoyment from the hobby, providing you follow some important guidelines.

See, it was worth it though. Great progress and not the worst picture, either :)

Tobi

Thanks Tobi...There's still lots of water changes and work ahead...i just know that you know that ;)

What happens to the fish that don't stay when you 'reduce' the group?

Just curious as obviously the grow out potential of all discus even from a single batch isn't the same but do you end up with more males than females?

Hi James
The fish that don't make the cut will be transferred to another tank i have outside in my garage where they will be put up for sale on 'Gumtree' which is very similar to your 'Craiglist'.
In the last final group that i kept...this guys parents and siblings...it appeared that there were more females than males from all the egg laying activity that was going on, but i cant be 100% sure as i only kept and persued my first proven pair which i still have in my breeder tank.

The whole journey is documented here in my ' Getting back into Discus' Thread.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?119095-Getting-back-into-Discus/page21

Thanks everyone for your interest.

Swedgin
08-31-2018, 04:45 PM
What’s the discus scene like Down Under in general, Joe? Is it hard to get some good fish? I recently saw that Santarem have an agent in AUS now, so at least some wilds are available. Should be nice for some enthusiasts.

two utes
08-31-2018, 07:10 PM
What’s the discus scene like Down Under in general, Joe? Is it hard to get some good fish? I recently saw that Santarem have an agent in AUS now, so at least some wilds are available. Should be nice for some enthusiasts.

I believe that it is not that bad. I know that Australian Industries imports discus through a few sources but mainly Malaysia. They are local but don't sell direct to the public, but my local discus breeder also supplies them with Discus to distribute to aquarium supply shops throughout Australia. I have seen lots of posts about wilds on here from many Aussie enthusiasts that keep wilds...so even though we are on the other side of the big pond we do get our fair share of good stock. Some of the really large aquarium supply shops also import direct from breeders from all over the world, so if you take the time to look you would find what you want.

Jody
09-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the forum Jody.
I noticed this was your first post. Glad you have enjoyed my little thread, but if you want to look at the whole journey on how i started up again check out my 'Back into Discus' thread.

I may put up another picture of this fish before i cut the group down to twelve, but im not sure yet...its always very difficult on deciding on who goes and who stays. The first two i pick will be very easy, as i dont like their shape at all. I would love to hear where you're at with the hobby, or if you're just thinking about starting out. One thing for sure is that you will get lots of enjoyment from the hobby, providing you follow some important guidelines.

Thanks for the nice welcome - I am just getting into the hobby right now. I have a 40 gallon tank set up with a 40 gallon sump for extra volume. Someday I may upgrade to a larger display tank so I went with the 40 gallon sump.

I seeded my tank with another smaller tank that I have set up and it is getting close to being cycled. I ordered 5 smaller discus from Uncle Sam's Discus out in L.A. and they are arriving mid-September. 3 Tiger Turquoise and 2 Blue Diamonds.

I am pairing them with some cory catfish that will be on cleanup duty. Currently I am trying to figure out how to cut down the amount of time it takes to do a water change, I have a 1200gph pump that I will probably use to empty and refill. More to come when the discus finally get here.

You'll have to share the pictures of the discus that you keep!

two utes
09-01-2018, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome - I am just getting into the hobby right now. I have a 40 gallon tank set up with a 40 gallon sump for extra volume. Someday I may upgrade to a larger display tank so I went with the 40 gallon sump.

I seeded my tank with another smaller tank that I have set up and it is getting close to being cycled. I ordered 5 smaller discus from Uncle Sam's Discus out in L.A. and they are arriving mid-September. 3 Tiger Turquoise and 2 Blue Diamonds.

I am pairing them with some cory catfish that will be on cleanup duty. Currently I am trying to figure out how to cut down the amount of time it takes to do a water change, I have a 1200gph pump that I will probably use to empty and refill. More to come when the discus finally get here.

You'll have to share the pictures of the discus that you keep!

Nice 2nd post Jody! Water changes can be a bit of a drain sometimes, but extremely important and necessary, particularly with raising juvenile discus. Every batch of discus i've ever had were bought as small as i could get them. I love the idea of having input on how my fish turn out. The parents of these guys grew out to 8 inches and are among the best discus i've ever owned. If you're interested in seeing pictures and videos of them check out my other thread 'Getting back into Discus'. I documented alot of information there for my own reference in the future.

So, last night i took some more pics of my tank before i evict 6 discus from there today. Im really suprised with the variety i ended up with from the same parents...the Spotted Eruption Snake Skins.

So this discus (SC) may end up in my tank outside this afternoon...we will see how that goes.

Swedgin
09-03-2018, 11:00 AM
I believe that it is not that bad. I know that Australian Industries imports discus through a few sources but mainly Malaysia. They are local but don't sell direct to the public, but my local discus breeder also supplies them with Discus to distribute to aquarium supply shops throughout Australia. I have seen lots of posts about wilds on here from many Aussie enthusiasts that keep wilds...so even though we are on the other side of the big pond we do get our fair share of good stock. Some of the really large aquarium supply shops also import direct from breeders from all over the world, so if you take the time to look you would find what you want.

Cool, that’s good to know. Thanks Joe

two utes
09-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Its not quit the way i planned out this video clip to be as i didn't obtain enough pictures of the transaction from day to day, but since i'm having a lazy morning i thought id have a play around with it anyways. Its something i will consider doing again properly in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_eaiYkHCHc

Swedgin
09-09-2018, 01:43 AM
Its not quit the way i planned out this video clip to be as i didn't obtain enough pictures of the transaction from day to day, but since i'm having a lazy morning i thought id have a play around with it anyways. Its something i will consider doing again properly in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_eaiYkHCHc

That’s cool, the color development is quite obvious with the rings on the back.

Paul Sabucchi
09-09-2018, 02:53 PM
That was absolutely brilliant Joe!

two utes
09-09-2018, 05:40 PM
That’s cool, the color development is quite obvious with the rings on the back.

Thanks Tobi.

Yes this strain certainly is one that changes dramatically over time as i found out with my other batch. Even in this short time frame of 3 months you can still notice some dramatic changes. Thanks for your interest in my little thread.

That was absolutely brilliant Joe!

You're too kind Paul, but thanks. As l mentioned it didn't really turn out as l planned. Had more pictures been taken and over a longer time period, it certainly would have been a more interesting and dramatic transaction.

117910 117911

All in all, l love having discus in my tank, and the reason i enjoy growing out juveniles is seeing the transaction take place in front of my eyes. Its very rewarding knowing that all the time you spend feeding and maintaining these little guys has the biggest influence on how they turn out. I have learnt that the first twelve months is the most critical part while they have the best opportunity to grow and develop. Not only did i notice a change in appearance but also a pecking order develop. Southern Cross wasn't at the top but more so at the end of the line, though he still held his ground tossleing for a feed at feeding times. One thing the video or pictures didnt show is the size difference. Southern Cross started at around an 1 1/2 inches (38mm) when i started this thread, and is now nudging 3 1/2 inches (88mm)

I have to admit that i got a little bored posting pictures daily and not seeing any differences in them, and i was thinking that my audience did as well. Had i continued, the final video would have been much more dramatic

If you have the time on your hands to do this i would highly recommend it. Start with the biggest batch of juveniles that you can afford and that your tank can hold and slowly thin them out to finish off with the best of your liking.

Even though i was absent for awhile i still enjoyed this little project, and have learnt that perseverance is the key for any type of success. Most importantly to stick to it.

Some of the other contestants were very diligent and documented their projects very well and l commend them highly.

Id like to thank the team at Simply Discus for coming up wit these new ideas which definitely generates lots of interest around the forum. Also everyone that took part in this competition, and those that followed them through. There's always opportunities to learn new things on this wonderful forum and this was certainly another great opportunity.

two utes
09-12-2018, 05:50 PM
....i forgot to mention that SC is still in my main tank with the group of 12 i chose to keep.

Jody
09-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Sc lives!

danotaylor
09-13-2018, 01:58 AM
....i forgot to mention that SC is still in my main tank with the group of 12 i chose to keep.
I knew you wouldn't cut him from the pack mate...ya big softy ;)

jeep
09-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Nice progression Joe! I hope to see these in the future as they color up even more.

Before i go much further though here is a few pictures of the parents which i still have in a breeder tank in my bathroom.

At least they aren't shy, lol :o

two utes
09-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Sc lives!

Yes Jody. He made the cut. Another four will be taken out in a few months once the tank starts looking crowded again, and leave me with the final eight to work with. Even then he may be kept in the tank i have outside with a few others...i find it difficult to have empty tanks, and a good way to keep them cycled ;)

I knew you wouldn't cut him from the pack mate...ya big softy ;)

Hahaha...me a softies? don't think so ;)

Nice progression Joe! I hope to see these in the future as they color up even more.

At least they aren't shy, lol :o

Thanks :) Yes i have a tank in the main bathroom... Right above the bath tub. It keeps my 3 year old grand daughter occupied, when sh uses it that's for sure, other than that my son uses the shower and has music playing when he does.
All i know is that its right next to a drain and water tap...Win Win!