PDA

View Full Version : Can you resist bacon?

RogueDiscus
09-05-2018, 05:50 PM
So the first response is "why,"

but then you think of other things.

I'm making BLT's for dinner. It's early here. I'm cooking the bacon in the oven ahead of time :)

I'm trying not to have any bacon until the sandwiches.... .... ...

LizStreithorst
09-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Bacon in the oven is the best way to cook it.

Discus-n00b
09-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Question is do you prefer your bacon crispy to the point it shatters or soft and more chewy. I personally prefer the chewy stuff, crispy bacon to me is like a steak cooked over medium rare. Basically lose all the juices and meat to the meat!

brewmaster15
09-05-2018, 06:28 PM
chewy here as well and oh yes I love bacon! :)

Steve the only way to wind up with enough bacon for a meal is to start with twice as much as you need! :)

al

LizStreithorst
09-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Crisp for me. I like it just short of burnt.

RogueDiscus
09-05-2018, 06:49 PM
My wife and I have the hot and cold thing; She prefers it completely crispy, I can handle chewy. But camping isn't, without bacon.

LizStreithorst
09-05-2018, 06:59 PM
When camping any bacon will do.

LizStreithorst
09-05-2018, 07:03 PM
Do y'all prefer thin cut or thick cut? I have come to prefer thin cut. I have found the brand that suits my taste. (I'm picky except when camping) It's called Williams. It's made in Tennessee.

discuspaul
09-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Heck, I love bacon so much, I even add finely chopped and lightly fried pancetta to my meat filling for lasagna - along with some pork sausage stuffing, ground beef, and also some lightly fried cut up slices of prosciutto.
Makes for a very tasty part of the lasagna layering when added to a tomato sauce laced with sautéed diced onions and garlic, several herbs, S & P, and some hot sauce.
Several cheeses including soft mozzarella or boconcini, and some béchamel sauce make up the remaining layering.

Oops sorry, I'm off the subject of just bacon.

LizStreithorst
09-05-2018, 07:18 PM
I don't care if you veered off topic, I want the recipe step by step, if you don't mind. I love a really good lasagna but I've always been afraid to make it. Who knows why? If you make a lot can you cut it in to hunks to feed one and freeze it?

jeep
09-05-2018, 07:24 PM
A little crispy for BLT's and chewy for everything else. When I was in Russia, my dinner companions gave me a special treat. I can't remember what they called it, but was a big bite of raw bacon. A little too chewy for me, yug!!!

RogueDiscus
09-05-2018, 07:30 PM
We went to a place for dinner while visiting the Oregon coast; Gold Beach? Forget what I ordered but wrapped in a piece of warm raw bacon. Not my thing.

discuspaul
09-05-2018, 08:49 PM
I don't care if you veered off topic, I want the recipe step by step, if you don't mind. I love a really good lasagna but I've always been afraid to make it. Who knows why? If you make a lot can you cut it in to hunks to feed one and freeze it?

Liz, you seem to really want it - so let me get my thoughts together & provide the recipe in the next day or 2 - this is one of those lasagnas that I built sort of spur of moment - right out of my head, and it turned out fabulous !

So I'm planning on doing it again tomorrow or next day - and remembering how I assembled it all will allow me to put it into good recipe form for you and any others who may want it.
Bear with me - I'll get to it eventually.

Hope you don't mind this veer off subject, Steve.

LizStreithorst
09-06-2018, 08:10 AM
Thanks, Paul and sorry Steve.

Second Hand Pat
09-06-2018, 09:38 AM
I love bacon but prefer it just on the crispy side.
Pat

brewmaster15
09-06-2018, 12:26 PM
bacon egg(over easy) cheese sandwich on a hard roll....mmmmmmmmMMMMMMM!

Swedgin
09-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Haven’t had bacon in ages. Stinks up the whole house.

Altum Nut
09-06-2018, 03:07 PM
I like bacon anyway it lands onto my plate. Al might remember or still does it but we cure large slabs of pork belly (Pancetta) then cut and vacuum seal into 3" x 5" pieces. Add sliced pieces to almost everything we cook and the flavour is to die for.
I also love back bacon with cornmeal coating grilled on the BBQ.

...Ralph

discuspaul
09-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Ralph - your last sentence is right up my alley -
I've loved peameal bacon (with cornmeal coating as described in many areas) since I first had it over 20 years ago, and I've been buying it approx. every month ever since.
It's great in BLT's, Triple Decker toasted sandwiches, Bacon or Ham & Eggs - whatever !