PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of food, your favorite that turns off your family and friends?

brewmaster15
09-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Everyone probably has one of these but whats a food or meal you love but most everyone you know hates or thinks is gross?

I have a sandwich that I make that my family absolutely thinks is gross. They would not try it if you paid them. I have been making it for years probably back as far as my college days.. I have no idea what made me try this combo.

Its peanut butter , american cheese, sliced tomatoe on a hard roll. Warmed slightly in the microwave to melt the cheese and peanut butter together. .. Its best on homemade italian bread rolls but any hardroll will do. I really don't know what they think is gross about it but man they are missing a culinary treat!

How about you? would you try it? :)

Do you have something you love to eat that others around you think is just nasty disgusting gross etc?

Al

jeep
09-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Fried chicken gizzards! Love 'em!!!

I have a sandwich that I make that my family absolutely thinks is gross.

Its peanut butter , american cheese, sliced tomatoe on a hard roll. Warmed slightly in the microwave to melt the cheese and peanut butter together. .. Its best on homemade italian bread rolls but any hardroll will do. I really don't know what they think is gross about it but man they are missing a culinary treat!

Sorry, but I can kinda see your family's point on this one, lol...

Mattgoanna
09-15-2018, 02:57 AM
I don’t eat anything that the family thinks is gross, but did grow up on Vegemite and I suspect most of the rest of the world will think that is gross. It is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract (a by-product of beer manufacture) and various vegetable and spice additives.

danotaylor
09-15-2018, 08:14 AM
Vegemite is ripper mate, true blue!

brewmaster15
09-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Hmmm vegemite cheese tomato on a hardroll? :) lol

danotaylor
09-15-2018, 02:15 PM
Right on Al. Also amazing with avocado, tomato and cracked pepper...so many vegemite options!! Aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi!

Paul Sabucchi
09-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Actually got two:
1) Spaghetti alle vongole, pasta with cockles (garlicky, pinch of chili pepper, white wine, parsley and maybe a few fresh chopped tomatoes. Wife hates the smell!
2) Crostini con la milza: toasted bread with a pate' made with spleen, anchovies paste and capers. Really old fashioned Roman recepy given to my great grandmother by prince Colonna's cook best part of 150 years ago
Buon Appetito!

Adam S
09-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Any of the "weird" seafoods aren't appreciated much by anyone else here. Squid, octopus, small whole fish, shrimp heads, walleye cheeks, crawfish (but lobster is fine :confused:), etc.

capers
Those seem to be really hit or miss with a lot of people. My grandmother especially HATES them :devil:.

discuspaul
09-15-2018, 06:32 PM
Would you believe my wife absolutely hates GARLIC !

She hates the smell of it- even the look of it - she's the only person I know who hates garlic - says she's allergic to it. I think it's all in her head but I'd never tell her that.

When we go a restaurant she always asks if there's garlic in any appetizer or entrée, and if there is, she asks the waiter to have the cook not use it if she wants to order the dish - I suspect she gets some garlic anyway sometimes, and doesn't know it.
Linda`s Italian, and her father was a good cook - and he used garlic in a lot of things - so I have trouble with her really being 'allergic'.

I love garlic in just about anything, so you can imagine I cook a lot of stuff for just one - me.
If I want to cook something that Linda likes too, say a pasta dish or sauce, I have to quickly tell Linda that I'll omit the garlic, and only then will she agree.

The whole world loves garlic, doesn't it ! Except Linda.

brewmaster15
09-15-2018, 06:46 PM
Would you believe my wife absolutely hates GARLIC !

She hates the smell of it- even the look of it - she's the only person I know who hates garlic - says she's allergic to it. I think it's all in her head but I'd never tell her that.

When we go a restaurant she always asks if there's garlic in any appetizer or entrée, and if there is, she asks the waiter to have the cook not use it if she wants to order the dish - I suspect she gets some garlic anyway sometimes, and doesn't know it.
Linda`s Italian, and her father was a good cook - and he used garlic in a lot of things - so I have trouble with her really being 'allergic'.

I love garlic in just about anything, so you can imagine I cook a lot of stuff for just one - me.
If I want to cook something that Linda likes too, say a pasta dish or sauce, I have to quickly tell Linda that I'll omit the garlic, and only then will she agree.

The whole world loves garlic, doesn't it ! Except Linda.

Careful Paul people that have strong aversion to or allergy to Garlic are usually vampires. :)

discuspaul
09-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Careful Paul people that have strong aversion to or allergy to Garlic are usually vampires. :)

Good comeback, Al - love it.

And btw, I love toasted sardine sandwiches for breakfast or anytime - everyone in my family and Linda's thinks that's gross.

And it's even healthy for you !

Pices
09-15-2018, 09:46 PM
Actually got two:
1) Spaghetti alle vongole, pasta with cockles (garlicky, pinch of chili pepper, white wine, parsley and maybe a few fresh chopped tomatoes. Wife hates the smell!
2) Crostini con la milza: toasted bread with a pate' made with spleen, anchovies paste and capers. Really old fashioned Roman recepy given to my great grandmother by prince Colonna's cook best part of 150 years ago
Buon Appetito!
I was all in on the cockles, but spleen? Really? Spleen? What does a spleen taste like? I’m asking because that’s the only way I’ll ever know.
Patty

discuspaul
09-15-2018, 10:10 PM
I've not had spleen either - that sounds gross.

Speaking of foods that seem gross to a lot of people if not most, when I lived in Singapore, I tried all these foods which were commonplace then, over there:

- Insects: I ate coated/breaded deep-fried crickets, and locusts, and a couple of others that I can't remember the names of, but they were all fairly good - lots of protein-

- Several types of indescribable mollusks - different kinds of snails, & other shelled seafood - again, can't recall what - but they were tasty & I did enjoy them;

- Asian Crocodile meat - actually quite nice - a bit chewy, but tastier than chicken if I remember right- at least that's what they say;

- Snake: a couple of different kinds - I didn't ask what type of snake, cause I didn't want to know - OK, but I'll pass if I'm ever offered it again;

- Last but not least - once at a Chinese banquet several people urged me try a 'special' dish which turned out to be monkey brains - I tried it - but never again - now that's gross!

Paul Sabucchi
09-16-2018, 07:23 AM
I was all in on the cockles, but spleen? Really? Spleen? What does a spleen taste like? I’m asking because that’s the only way I’ll ever know.
Patty

Spleen pate' tastes a bit like liver pate' (if you can use liver why not the organ next to it?) but earthier, also very messy to scrape the pulp as very bloody -probably good for anaemics or the aforementioned vampires, unless you go and spoil it for them by adding garlick. Traditional Roman cousine is a veritable smogarsbord of offal from pagliata (suckling calf's intestines) to trippa (tripe), coratella (lamb's lung, liver and heart, usually served with a sideorder of artichokes), coda alla vaccinara (oxtail), sugo con i regagli (chicken liver, kidneys etc in a tomato sauce), fagioli con le cotiche (beans with pork rinds i.e. skin) and many other dishes that would make those of a more squeamish disposition opt for the vegetarian menu. These were all old fashioned dishes born from the fact that in centuries past working class folk could not afford prime cuts and had to make do with what would have been discarded. Nowadays and probably for the last 50 years it has been nye on impossible to find these foods on the menu of any resturant, so you should be quite safe eating out in Rome

brewmaster15
09-16-2018, 07:29 AM
We tend to be a little strange about how we judge our potential foods. Lobster used to be the poor mans food, a food given to slaves and prisoners. Because of what it looked like. Now we consider it a food of the affluent. Go figure.

We probably will eat more insects one day than we do today.. Biologically speaking, a Lobster is nothing more than giant BUG! and Arthropod much like grasshoppers and crickets and spiders and cock roaches. We already eat other arthropods, like crabs, lobster, shrimp and crawfish. And we eat gastropods. like slimy snails part of the mollusk class along the mollusks we know and love as clams.

Bon appetite!:)

al

LizStreithorst
09-16-2018, 09:30 AM
Kidney stew. They love it and ask for the recipe when they don't know in advance what it is. I say that it's an old English recipe that I learned from my mother, which is true.

Mattgoanna
09-16-2018, 10:06 AM
Paul - like your wife, I too am allergic to garlic. If it is very well cooked it can be ok, but otherwise makes me sick. So, it is a real thing.

Pices
09-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Spleen pate' tastes a bit like liver pate' (if you can use liver why not the organ next to it?) but earthier, also very messy to scrape the pulp as very bloody -probably good for anaemics or the aforementioned vampires, unless you go and spoil it for them by adding garlick. Traditional Roman cousine is a veritable smogarsbord of offal from pagliata (suckling calf's intestines) to trippa (tripe), coratella (lamb's lung, liver and heart, usually served with a sideorder of artichokes), coda alla vaccinara (oxtail), sugo con i regagli (chicken liver, kidneys etc in a tomato sauce), fagioli con le cotiche (beans with pork rinds i.e. skin) and many other dishes that would make those of a more squeamish disposition opt for the vegetarian menu. These were all old fashioned dishes born from the fact that in centuries past working class folk could not afford prime cuts and had to make do with what would have been discarded. Nowadays and probably for the last 50 years it has been nye on impossible to find these foods on the menu of any resturant, so you should be quite safe eating out in Rome

I love chicken livers and beef liver so maybe I would try the organ next to it. I’d probably like it better if I ate it ala Liz style (without knowing) lol.
Patty

jeep
09-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Patty

Hahaha!!!

LizStreithorst
09-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Fried chicken gizzards! Love 'em!!!

There is a Jr Food mart gas station about 1/2 hr from here. I'm often the only white person in the place. They sell the best fried chicken anybody had ever eaten, but I'm in love with their gizzards. The ladies who cook there know me and if the gizzards aren't freshly made and tender they cook more for me. I walk in and the cooking lady says, "gizzards?" I smile and nod. I get the craving about every 6 weeks and make the drive. It's a pleasant drive through rolling hills out in the country.

xKevinx
10-26-2018, 03:50 PM
Actually got two:
Buon Appetito!

+1 on the cockles! My son and I love a spaghetti vongole on a Sunday afternoon... My wife often goes outside to get away from it cause she dislikes it so much hahaha

dagray
10-26-2018, 04:31 PM
Braunschweiger and Swiss on black rye with sweet hot mustard, fresh lettuce, and fresh tomato.

I love the combination, but my kids don't like the meat or the Swiss Cheese, and my wife doesn't like the Braunschweiger.

Pices
10-28-2018, 11:59 AM

Paul, I’m one of those weird people that love liver and pate so who knows? I might like it. I’d try a spleen or tripe or oxtail but you’ll never get me to try a monkey brain. I’d even eat Al’s awful sandwich first. tee hee
Patty

LizStreithorst
10-28-2018, 12:29 PM
I adore the nasty bits. I have to go to the slaughter house to buy beef kidney and tongue, and I have to brine the tongue myself. There is no more tender meat than tongue. Kidney makes an easy, stew which is served over rice. My mother, who came from England and grew up very poor but was ashamed of ever having been poor would make this dish when she would entertain her fancy friends. Every wanted to know how she made it. She would only tell them that it was an old English recipe. They'd have died if they'd known that they had eaten kidney.

Unfortunately, I haven't cared about eating or cooking for about a month now. I don't know why. I'm eating frozen stuff just to keep alive. It's a bummer.

I just stumbled upon a recipe for Thai grilled pork neck that sounds appealing and easy. I think I'll try making that and hope it gets my appetite for cooking and eating going again.

brewmaster15
10-28-2018, 12:51 PM
When I was a kid, my Nonni (grandma) would get a whole Pig slaughtered fresh., Nothing went to waste, The basement was filled with hanging hams and sausages, but the best part was a chocolate pudding she made from the Blood of the pig. It was thick and rich, sweet but also a bit hot on the throat. I absolutely loved it. There was no better treat for me. I learned latter on that its called, Sanguinaccio dolce. I used to just call it piggy pudding. I think to make it last longer she added Rice as well or tapioca. Its been a good 40 years now since I had it last, and my Nonni passed away along time ago. My mom learned much of her recipes and has passed on that to me, but Nonni's recipe was sadly lost. I probably could not find fresh Pigs blood out here anyhow...but I highly doubt my kids and wife would go near it if I made it but thats fine as it would be more for me!:)

Heres some info..

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/sanguinaccio-dolce-chocolate-blood-pudding

http://www.chicagonow.com/cooking-cop/2014/03/sanguinaccio-dolce-is-a-bloody-good-treat-2/#image/1

al

LizStreithorst
10-28-2018, 01:13 PM
I think that the key is that if you grew up eating weird stuff before you realized that it was weird all you cared about that it was good. I've never had blood pudding but I bet that I could get my hands on the blood.

Pices
10-28-2018, 01:20 PM
When I was a kid, my Nonni (grandma) would get a whole Pig slaughtered fresh., Nothing went to waste, The basement was filled with hanging hams and sausages, but the best part was a chocolate pudding she made from the Blood of the pig. It was thick and rich, sweet but also a bit hot on the throat. I absolutely loved it. There was no better treat for me. I learned latter on that its called, Sanguinaccio dolce. I used to just call it piggy pudding. I think to make it last longer she added Rice as well or tapioca. Its been a good 40 years now since I had it last, and my Nonni passed away along time ago. My mom learned much of her recipes and has passed on that to me, but Nonni's recipe was sadly lost. I probably could not find fresh Pigs blood out here anyhow...but I highly doubt my kids and wife would go near it if I made it but thats fine as it would be more for me!:)

Heres some info..

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/sanguinaccio-dolce-chocolate-blood-pudding

http://www.chicagonow.com/cooking-cop/2014/03/sanguinaccio-dolce-is-a-bloody-good-treat-2/#image/1

al

You had me at chocolate :o

Willie
10-28-2018, 07:44 PM
...a chocolate pudding she made from the Blood of the pig. It was thick and rich, sweet but also a bit hot on the throat. I absolutely loved it...I probably could not find fresh Pigs blood out here anyhow...

My hats off to you, Al. I've had blood pudding in Germany, but it wouldn't be the first thing I order.

I was traveling in Singapore in September, had Sunday off, and called up Andrew Soh. He picked me up from the hotel and took me to his favorite hawker stand. His favorite food in all the world is large intestine.

and that's all he ordered. I had to admit it wasn't bad, but every dish was large intestine. I kept up with him for awhile, but he order so much of it!

BTW, my favorite dish is sea cucumber. My family does not share my taste for this.

Willie

Disgirl
10-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Wilie, I would have to be near starvation before I would eat that. I would eat lots of other unusual foods though. But in the Philippines a long time ago, I would not try a balut. It is a chicken embryo, near hatching size that is pickled or something. Looks just awful but considered a delicacy there.
Barb

ggillies
10-30-2018, 04:21 PM
Mine's not gross, per se, but I grew up in Africa, the Middle East and Far East as a kid and so was exposed to many types of curry. My favorite curries are Indian and Goan curries, a few of which are ungodly spicy; whenever we eat out, I have a favorite Indian restaurant and I have them make me an off the menu curry.... it's the only meal I eat that my wife and kids NEVER ask to share.. It's just too spicy for them to contemplate. Score one for Dad getting to eat all of his own food for a change.

LizStreithorst
10-30-2018, 04:36 PM
I would love to take that challenge. I would bet that I could eat it and enjoy it. Indian spicy hot is different from Mexican picante. Mexican very picante food seems to burn your mouth forever. IME Indian spicy hot is very not but the heat starts going away fast enough for you to want another bite.

I haven't had a world of experience with Indian food but I know Mexican food. I lived in Mexico for 5 years and I mostly ate street food.

ggillies
10-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Mexican hot food is a good place to start! The curries I'm talking about, build.. and build.. and build. Some of my friends have tried to eat them, and they end up all purple and sweating about 1/2 way through, then call it quits. :-)

LizStreithorst
10-30-2018, 06:03 PM
It sounds like I couldn't handle it

Willie
10-30-2018, 07:17 PM
Wilie, I would have to be near starvation before I would eat that. I would eat lots of other unusual foods though. But in the Philippines a long time ago, I would not try a balut. It is a chicken embryo, near hatching size that is pickled or something. Looks just awful but considered a delicacy there.
Barb

I've heard of balut. Don't think I'd try it either, Willie