PDA

View Full Version : Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

brewmaster15
09-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Hi all,
We have had a few grow out contests here at the forum. The first dates back to 2007 when I donated a bunch of F2 alenquers I had bred to the contest. It was fun contest and some nice fish were grown out. We had other contests since then that were fun also, but more complicated and they ran into various issues along the way. I didn't think I would ever do another one, but thats what I am considering, heaven help me!:) This time if we do this we will return to more simple times... Going back to the original 2007 format... All the fish from the same spawn, which I will donate to the contest.. The group would be Fineline Blue snakeskins and blue Turqs... all from the same spawn.

Here is a screen shot of that first contest announcement...

and the contest itself is here..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?128-First-Annual-Discus-Hobbyist-Challenge-(2008)

Back in 2007 I had alot more tanks and tank space. I do not have this anymore, and what I have I need for my core breeding project. I won't be able to grow these fish out to as large a size which makes shipping them and growing them a real CHALLENGE.:)

The fish I send out would be dime to nickel size and I believe I can safely ship them by USPS 2-3 day priority mail at this time of year. I ran an experiment and discussed this with our Moderator team. I can easily fit 8 of the fry in a medium flat rate box ( costs ~ $15 ) to ship. Possibly more if I double up the fish in the bags. I would use 48 hour heat packs which by my test work as I need them to.

One of the main problems with these grow out contests is participants don't always post their updates and lose interest after a while. When that happens it puts us in an awkward spot. If we remove them from the contest it makes the contest less interesting overall. If we are lenient it irritates the participants ( and it should!) who are following the rules and doing as was agreed. Obviously I can't force members to do as they agreed and post updates, but we have to have a way to encourage it strongly. One way I am considering is to require participants to put a deposit down of $100. If they follow through as they agreed they get the deposit back minus the cost of shipping the fish (at this time thats $15) It would mean that participants now have another reason to keep up with the program requirements. Is this a fair request? Obviously the fish are theirs to keep either way.

I do not know if we will have prizes, maybe. I'm a bit tapped out right now so my contribution this contest will be the fish. We may have trophies... probably. This is all in the planning stages its not definite. I would like feedback and to get a sense of realistic interest. I will require you all to start with a 10 gal tank with no other tank occupants and bare bottom for the first 2 weeks.Tank will need appropriately sized heaters. Covered on the sides and bottom. Air driven sponge filters. At this age the fish are fragile. This is your best chance of a good start. I will also require that you age their water that first 2 weeks for the same reason. I will include the food I am feeding them with the shipment so you can transition to other foods.

I will not kid you here. This isn't a contest for the weak of heart. There is a world of difference between raising a 1/2" discus vs a 2" discus. You will probably experience loss. You may lose them all. My obligation ends with getting them to you alive. Please understand that if you run into issues. Ideally this contest is for more experienced hobbyists. Please consider that if you express interest in competing.

At this size I can only tell you they are healthy. I will cull for obvious things like runts, sliders, and visible defects. DO NOT EXPECT SHOW FISH RESULTS. Its unlikely all your fish will turn out great. You only need one in the group to do as we will judge the single best one you submit.

Ok, so thats where we are. I really do need to hear from you all as these contests are a significant time and resource commitment on our part. I think it would be a fun contest if members keep in mind thats what its supposed to be. I will leave off with a picture of the parents so you can see what is possible as far as quality. These are snakeskins, you will potentially receive snakeskins or blue Turqs..

and here..http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?133006-Fry-Feeding-time-****UPDATED**** you can see a previous batch of fry from the parents.

thanks,
al

sanjay21
09-15-2018, 10:29 AM
This sounds so fun :) Beautiful fish too.

I'm so down on this competition.

modealings
09-15-2018, 03:33 PM
I would be interested as well. When I first joined the forum I read through these contest threads and wished they were still going on because there is a lot to learn from others documenting their experiences.

I have a group of 2 year old fish I grew out from nickel size and I think the effort involved would make the contest all that more exciting - plus it's a lot of fun to watch the fish grow. I certainly think a $100 deposit is fair to keep us all engaged (in fact I'd be fine with just considering it a donation to the forum given contestants do get fish at the end of the day...).

Second Hand Pat
09-16-2018, 07:30 AM
I'm game Al :)
Pat

Adam S
09-16-2018, 10:03 AM
Certainly sounds like a blast. Nothing like a little 'put up or shut up' to keep us honest!

Kwiege
09-16-2018, 01:34 PM
I’d love to give it a try!!!

jeep
09-16-2018, 01:35 PM
I was involved in the first challenge and it was fun! I would like to try it again! A contest like this can be a great learning experience!

two utes
09-16-2018, 04:54 PM
I was involved in the first challenge and it was fun! I would like to try it again! A contest like this can be a great learning experience!

I was also involved with the first challenge, the Australian leg of it, and learnt more about growing out juvenile discus than i could ever imagine. I look back at it from time to time and cringe at some of the things i did, but it was a huge learning curve for me, and helped me alot on my next attempt.

I highly recommend people getting involved with this, especially the new members just getting into the hobby. Don't be afraid of failure, but of all the knowledge you may gain, and it really is alot of fun. Not to mention the discus you will end up with at the end of it.

Good luck with it this time rounds Al. I hope you have lots of interest. Keeping it simple like the first round will sure make it easier to follow.

Good luck with it.

pastry
09-16-2018, 07:24 PM
I would love to see this contest again! Since I don't have enough space to do it justice then I can contribute trophies if need be. Any way to support.

Second Hand Pat
09-17-2018, 08:54 AM
Hey guys, if you want to do this please speak up. The fish aren't getting any younger :)
Pat

Second Hand Pat
09-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Come on guys, need three more to may this happen :D
Pat

Pool_skylar
09-17-2018, 01:53 PM
I would like to participate in this challenge!

jeep
09-17-2018, 02:02 PM
I would like to participate in this challenge!

Great!! 2 more!

Kwiege
09-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Count me in!!

Tshethar
09-17-2018, 10:42 PM
I'd long-winded enough, that's for sure... ;) ... and would enjoy learning, too. In for a penny in for a pound, right? For me, no need for prizes beyond the discus themselves; growing them out healthy would be a win at my level of experience. So, if I'm qualified enough, put me down! (If not, that's cool, too. But let's see this happen!)
--Bill

thomaswal
09-18-2018, 05:31 AM
I'd be in as well but I'm a bit far to ship such small fish...
If it gets done, I'll for sure enjoy seeing everyone's progress!

Second Hand Pat
09-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Ok guys, need a couple more interested folks to make this happen :D
Pat

Adam S
09-18-2018, 01:28 PM
I have some spare tanks... count me in too.

JamesW
09-18-2018, 03:15 PM
I'd love to be in but a baby on the way means I will not be able to commit to the level needed. Will be following along eagerly!

brewmaster15
09-18-2018, 04:04 PM
I'd love to be in but a baby on the way means I will not be able to commit to the level needed. Will be following along eagerly!

Congratulations on the baby James.Yes I think you have more important things coming up!
Al

Captain Discus
09-18-2018, 04:40 PM
If there is still some left I am in.
Tom. captain discus.
The fish are prize enough for me! But a little competition is enriching.

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 05:46 AM
Ok then Everyone... It looks like we have enough members interested in this contest to make it happen. Because I want these fish to be a certain size when they are shipped we need to get this started fast.

I want to ship on the 24th which is this upcoming Monday. You should receive the fish wednesday. . I will provide tracking to you by pm. If you expressed interest now is the time to pm with the following information.

Full name and shipping address
telephone number
valid email address.

I will send you a paypal request for funds in the amount of $100. I will use that to cover shipping. I suggested the balence to be used as a deposit that entrants would get back at the end of the contest. Some have suggested this should just be a flat fee thats paid to participate. I will leave that up to you. If you want your $100 to be a donation let me know when you give me your paypal address.... If you do not specifically tell me that I will hold it as a deposit.

Fish will be randomly netted from the same tank of Fry.Same parents same spawn. They may vary in size slightly.Remember the goal is raise them.as best you can and share the growth and development along the way.Updates are critical. Sharing what you are doing specifically with regards to water changes, temperature and food are part of the competition... Im not sure just yet how We will factor the information into the final judging but we will.

The official Rules:

1) The contest is a 8 month commitment at the minimium. We reserve the right to carry to a maximum 1 year .

2) You must start these fish in a 10 gal tank,using sponge filters and covered on 3 sides and bottom. It must be a bare bottom tank.
You must use Aged water at a Temperature of 82 F to 85 F . For the first 2 weeks I would suggest you maintain them in the 10 gal tank. They must be alone. No other fish present. After that you can do as you want but must document it.

3) You must do an update at least once a week. This is less than what we have used in the past to make it easier. You are allowed 4 missed updates .. more than that and you forfeit the contest and your deposit. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! You may post updates as often as you want. Your update must be in pictures.. You may use videos at any time but not for the mandatory update.

4) Photo updates MUST use the forum software and not be off site links.

5) You must net your largest fish at 3 months, 6 months, and at the contest end and measure it. .Photo document and post the image.

Thats it ... I have made the rules as concise and straightforward as possible. Understand that as unexpected things occur we may have to modify rules or add to them. If you participate you are agreeing to all rules and to our full control over the contest .

Any questions please ask them now.

Thank you,
Al

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 06:11 AM
A word on these fish, Normally people ship and receive fish at a larger size than these. I have tested the ability of these fish to handle the shipping we will be using. I carried out that test far longer than they should be in transit. I don't anticipate any problems with this shipment. When you receive them I recommend you float the bags to equalize the temperature. I do not anticipate the water will be very foul. I did not notice it my tests. Some people to cut the bag , poor off the water and get the fish into the new tank. If you prefer to use the drip method, you should add a drop of ammonia neutralizer to the bag first. I will not tell you which method to use. Use what works for you and post the results.

My water... These fish have been raised in my well water. I used straight tap water that has been aged. They have been raised in water that about 7.6 pH and moderately hard..so they should be able to adapt to up or down from that no problem.

I will send along some of the food they are eating.

This is important so please pay close attention. Many people experience losses of fry in the first 1-2 months. Do not over feed them. Feeding them until they bloat up is not necessarily going to give you the best growth but it may cause you to loose fish. You won't have a tank of fry to play with where you can lose a few... I will be sending 8 fry, more if I can number wise. Play it safe. Its a long contest. Feed moderately and often verses stuffing them to the gills. Be careful to soak all dry foods, and if you feed homemade mixes of Beef watch the fat..I highly suggest beefheart over other cuts of beef if you go that route.

You must keep their water clean. Though adult discus can tolerate a little ammonia and Nitrites, Fry do not. It will stress them and it can kill them.

I hope these tips help you get a good start, please understand that fry are fragile...what ever you do, take your time.
al

Second Hand Pat
09-19-2018, 06:46 AM
Al, I am using my well water with the wilds and intent to use it with the fry. It is fairly hard, TDS should be running about 180 this time of year and a ph of 8.2 after aging. Ph out of tap is 7.4 rising to 8.2 after four hours of aging. I am not expecting any water issues unless you see a red herring here?
Pat

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 06:56 AM
Al, I am using my well water with the wilds and intent to use it with the fry. It is fairly hard, TDS should be running about 180 this time of year and a ph of 8.2 after aging. Ph out of tap is 7.4 rising to 8.2 after four hours of aging. I am not expecting any water issues unless you see a red herring here?
Pat

Pat I don't see any issues with it. My TDS of my tap is about 300 ppm (just measured)

al

Second Hand Pat
09-19-2018, 07:25 AM
Al, are we required to test water parameters? Need to order new test kits if yes?
Pat

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Al, are we required to test water parameters? Need to order new test kits if yes?
Pat

Required no, but the goal of this contest besides growing the biggest and best Discus in the time alloted is to share what you are doing so others can follow along and learn what works well and what doesn't. The more information people can give about how they are caring for their fish the better.

Information that one should share

-water parameters
-foods fed
-feeding schedule
-problems encountered, including mortality
-observations like bullying, or timidity

etc..

hth,
al

Second Hand Pat
09-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Sounds to me like test kits are in order Al :D
Pat

modealings
09-19-2018, 07:49 AM
Very excited to be a part of this! And thanks again to Al for all the time and effort to set this up. (Even sending some of the food their eating, that's awesome...)

Biggest decision I have to make is whether to start these with an already cycled sponge or not.

Right now I'm planning on using a cycled sponge from another tank because starting fresh would have to involve tiny ammonia spikes even if i did WC's 3x daily. Of course the other risk is exposing fry this small to different bacteria which may be a shock as well. I think the first 2 weeks will be the most tenuous but I guess that's what makes it exciting - I could be out by October 2018 or in until Oct 2019, we'll see!

Second Hand Pat
09-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Al, how are you feeding the FDBWs, as fines? In the past I have presoaked the fines in water until they sink then suck it up with a syringe with airline tubing attached to the end. I added some amounts to the water column over the fry. At least this is how I did it with the fry of wild parents in a sectioned off 230. In a 10 gallon this may not be needed?
Pat

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Here is a List of those that have officially enrolled after having pm'd em their contact info . I will update it as others sign up.

1) modealings aka Eric
2) Second Hand Pat aka Pat............................send bio-media
3) Captain Discus aka Tom
4) Adam S aka Adam
5) Pool_skylar aka Skylar
6) Sanjay21 aka Sanjay......................................send bio-media
7) Tshethar aka Bill...........................................sen d bio-media
8) Jeep aka Brian
9) warblad79 aka Bryan
10) Kwiege aka Karen.......................................send bio-media

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 10:24 AM
It was suggested to me by Filip that it would be great it I could provide some Biological media with the fish. I think I can. I have in that tank 2 hydro sponges and a wall of foam that circulation on both sides..I am sure theres a significant biological filtration . I can try and include some if any one wants its .. You may have to cut your new sponge to replace part of it with this material but its better than no biological filter at all. I do this routinely here.

Theres no point in me sending it if you are planning on using seeded filters from your own tanks though.

Drop me a pm if you want some included and let me know what kind of sponge filter you were planning on using in the 10 gal startup.

Thanks,
al

Second Hand Pat
09-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Al, I would not mind a small block of foam. I will be running the smallest AC and I could use piece in it. Unless you think the smallest AC is too strong for the fry.
Pat

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Al, I would not mind a small block of foam. I will be running the smallest AC and I could use piece in it. Unless you think the smallest AC is too strong for the fry.
Pat

Pat I would suggest not using a power filter initially, even the smallest ones...sponge filter is better when they are small. Its not a hard fast fact, just something I have noticed. Others may disagree. I think everyone will have better success with these little guys if they use sponges initially.

al

Second Hand Pat
09-19-2018, 10:45 AM
Pat I would suggest not using a power filter initially, even the smallest ones...sponge filter is better when they are small. Its not a hard fast fact, just something I have noticed. Others may disagree. I think everyone will have better success with these little guys if they use sponges initially.

al

np Al, I can wait until they are larger. I was planning on a sponge filter also.
Pat

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Al, how are you feeding the FDBWs, as fines? In the past I have presoaked the fines in water until they sink then suck it up with a syringe with airline tubing attached to the end. I added some amounts to the water column over the fry. At least this is how I did it with the fry of wild parents in a sectioned off 230. In a 10 gallon this may not be needed?
Pat

Pat I missed this post..

The FDBW are fines.. at this size very fine fines.. I soak them 5-10 mins and use a turkey baster to add the amount I want to the tank. You do need to be careful though as they will glump up as much as they can. The Diskus Gold I just crush as I drop it in the tank. I can't stress enough that its very easy to over feed at this size,IMO. I'm sure you already have a good idea on how much to feed but for the others in the contest ..go easy.:)

al

Second Hand Pat
09-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Pat I missed this post..

The FDBW are fines.. at this size very fine fines.. I soak them 5-10 mins and use a turkey baster to add the amount I want to the tank. You do need to be careful though as they will glump up as much as they can. The Diskus Gold I just crush as I drop it in the tank. I can't stress enough that its very easy to over feed at this size,IMO. I'm sure you already have a good idea on how much to feed but for the others in the contest ..go easy.:)

al

Cool, basically same idea Al. I prefer the syringe as it gives me finer control. I seem to have six thumbs with a turkey baster, perhaps my hands are too small. :crazy:
Pat

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 11:28 AM
For this number of fry your method may work better Pat.

al

Second Hand Pat
09-19-2018, 11:37 AM
For this number of fry your method may work better Pat.

al

It may Al, You can add minute portions of the fines and gauge how the fry are taking it :D and go from there.
Pat

Tshethar
09-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Al, this is exciting. I'm going to go for it, but had a few uncertainties. Thanks to Filip one of the main ones has just been addressed (the biological media). Yes to that! I'm planning on starting with a small hydro sponge or equivalent and later adding a small Aquaclear. Sponge media I can use to seed these would be huge. As you know, I'm dealing with nitrites in my grow out with large fish right now, and I was thinking I would have to risk cross-contamination to avoid that.

One question for you: how long do you think it's reasonable (or good practice) to keep them in a 10 gallon? I have some options for moving them to a 40 at some point, but may need to rehome some fish and ideally sterilize tanks before doing so.

Bill

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Hi Bill,

I put you down for sponge media then.

These are going to be small Discus.. with a group of 8 ish. In a ten gallon, I think they could easily stay there several weeks. The benefit that the sponges have is you can use them in a tank like your 40 and only put 20 gals of water in so a small group of fish does nt get lost until they grow into it. I raised these fry in 55 gal and did that by using the foam partition you see in the photos.. I had them initially in 15 gals worth of space and moved the partition as they grew. Same idea here for your 40... just using water levels instead of foam to keep the fry together more.

al

RogueDiscus
09-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Good luck to everyone who participates. This should be a neat contest. AL said it's OK for me to blow my own horn a bit. The parents of these fry came from me about 2 years ago. They were fry from a High-Body Blue Snakeskin male and a Blue Snakeskin female pair I had. The HB male was 7+" and the female 61/2", both with great shape. I bred them for their size and shape in particular. I think that paid off, as you can see from the nice round shape of Al's parents, especially in the face. One of the fish from that group that I kept won Best Home-Bred DIscus at the recent NADA show, I'm sure mostly due to it's great shape. These fry should continue that pattern if well taken care of!

modealings
09-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Good luck to everyone who participates. This should be a neat contest. AL said it's OK for me to blow my own horn a bit. The parents of these fry came from me about 2 years ago. They were fry from a High-Body Blue Snakeskin male and a Blue Snakeskin female pair I had. The HB male was 7+" and the female 61/2", both with great shape. I bred them for their size and shape in particular. I think that paid off, as you can see from the nice round shape of Al's parents, especially in the face. One of the fish from that group that I kept won Best Home-Bred DIscus at the recent NADA show, I'm sure mostly due to it's great shape. These fry should continue that pattern if well taken care of!

The bar has been set - 7 inches!

Thanks Steve, this makes it all that more interesting. We’re the original fish from Kenny?

RogueDiscus
09-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Oh yes, from Kenny. I meant to say that. Thanks!

I actually bought the HBS male in 2009. Made it 8 years with me.
I found this link for my original sale.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?126042-Blue-Snakeskin-Fry-Southern-Oregon-P-U-or-shipping-available

Kwiege
09-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Hi Al
I will be using the small double sponge filters, can you please include a piece for me as well?

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Hi Al
I will be using the small double sponge filters, can you please include a piece for me as well?

Hi Karen,
I can :)

please check your forum pm for more info on the contest..
thanks!
Al

Willie
09-19-2018, 07:36 PM
If there is still time, I like to participate as well.

Willie ;)

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 07:40 PM
If there is still time, I like to participate as well.

Willie ;)

We would love to have you Willie! :) I think I have enough fry for one last group after you.

Al

warblad79
09-20-2018, 03:41 AM
I'm in if you have more spot. This is easy peasy but it sounds like a good challenge.

Paul Sabucchi
09-20-2018, 03:48 AM
Glad to see so many people taking part, pity being the other side of the pond, would have thrown my hat in gladly (as wife would relocate her 2 goldfish from their 45 gal to the pond outside)

brewmaster15
09-20-2018, 06:27 AM
Sent you a pm Bryan. I think thats all I fish for at this time. I will no more once I pack up the boxes Monday.

This gives us 11 challengers :) Quite the robust competition! I'm really looking forward to this!

al

CraigJ
09-20-2018, 08:50 AM
Hi Al,

I'm very late to the game, but if by chance you have any more fry available on Monday, I'd love to participate in this competition.

Craig

brewmaster15
09-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Hi Al,

I'm very late to the game, but if by chance you have any more fry available on Monday, I'd love to participate in this competition.

Craig

Hi Craig,
We have a pretty full line up but I will let you know if its possible. Thanks for the interest!
al

brewmaster15
09-21-2018, 01:21 PM
ok then everyone. This is the list of everyone thats confirmed and ready to go. These members have officially enrolled .Still waiting on 1 or 2 more . If you arent on the list get in touch with me.

1) modealings aka Eric
4) Adam S aka Adam
8) Jeep aka Brian............................................. ..send bio-media.
9) warblad79 aka Bryan

If you are on the list .. be sure to let me know if you need bio-media. I have noted by your name here if you need it. I am planning on shipping Mon/Tues.

Al

jeep
09-21-2018, 02:12 PM
ok then everyone. This is the list of everyone thats confirmed and ready to go. These members have officially enrolled .Still waiting on 1 or 2 more . If you arent on the list get in touch with me.

1) modealings aka Eric
4) Adam S aka Adam
8) Jeep aka Brian............................................. ..send bio-media
9) warblad79 aka Bryan

If you are on the list .. be sure to let me know if you need bio-media. I have noted by your name here if you need it. I am planning on shipping Mon/Tues.

Al

I would like some please...

brewmaster15
09-21-2018, 02:33 PM
I would like some please...
Got it!
al

warblad79
09-21-2018, 03:46 PM

1) modealings aka Eric
4) Adam S aka Adam
8) Jeep aka Brian............................................. ..send bio-media.
9) warblad79 aka Bryan

Al

Al,

I'll be using my own fresh bio-media.

brewmaster15
09-21-2018, 04:17 PM
Thanks Bryan!

al

Maxx24
09-22-2018, 12:28 AM
I'm new to the forum but not new to growing fry, i would definately be interested in this contest,!, please let me know how to join.

Willie
09-22-2018, 12:55 AM

1) modealings aka Eric
4) Adam S aka Adam
9) warblad79 aka Bryan

Al

Forgot me! Willie

brewmaster15
09-23-2018, 07:44 AM
Forgot me! Willie

Sorry about that Willie... You are on the list now!
Al

brewmaster15
09-23-2018, 07:46 AM
The complete list...
ok then everyone. This is the list of everyone thats confirmed and ready to go. These members have officially enrolled . If you arent on the list get in touch with me and want to be. Get in touch with me. If I can supply more groups I will.... no guarantees at this point though.

1) modealings aka Eric
4) Adam S aka Adam
9) warblad79 aka Bryan
11) Willie aka Willie

Al

Maxx24
09-23-2018, 02:32 PM
Please keep me in mind if any slots open up for the contest or future groups.. ;) Thanks

brewmaster15
09-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Hi all,
I would like to thank one of our members for stepping up here and offering to come up with Trophies. Thank you Elliot!!! (aka Pastry), we truly appreciate your help on this one! I am thrilled that we can now offer trophies for the winners.

Thanks again!

al

Pices
09-23-2018, 04:16 PM
Good luck contestants. I look forward to reading these threads and learning how it’s done.
Patty

brewmaster15
09-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Man oh Man that was close! I just made the Post office with all the packages... 11 boxes of contest fish.! Note to oneself, 5 hours was not quite enough time to pack 110 Fish! I now remember why I hate shipping. :)

Okay now contestants, some notes.

Each box contains 10 fry... I initially planned on sending 8 individually bagged fish, but opted to send 10, so what I did was send 6 individually bagged fish and 2 bags with 2 fish. All the fish were bagged first, and then boxed. I made 2 piles ... The first pile of bags was the first 33 fish I bagged. .. The second pile was the balance. When I packed the boxes I drew from the first pile for the first 3 fish I put in the box under the rationale that first 33 fish would be the biggest I had since I was trying to net the biggest one. Then I packed from the second pile. and the doubles. Basically this was best I could do to try and get everyone the same general representation of fish. When I did my tests I had no losses, and I am hopeful the same will be true now but with all the bouncing around who knows? I'm sure there will be issues and problems along the way, but I am looking at this as a learning experience and a pilot contest...so thats to be expected..

I included food in every box, you won't need a lot, so just a small pinch at a time. I crush it with my fingers. Its my Diskus Gold (https://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/DiskusGold-Premium-Pellets_c9.htm) What I sent will last you a while, but you are welcome to feed what ever you want.

If you asked for Bio media theres a piece of black sponge, You should be able to use it with any air driven sponge if you get creative...10 fry this size aren't going to make alot of waste in a 10 gal tank.

Please understand that these fish are not whats normally shipped size wise. Just because I tested it doesn't mean it will work out in practice here. This is not just a grow out contest, but I am trying to see if this works so we can use the model many times in the future. If it works out. It will be great as I can then provide contest fish from my pairs and not break the bank on shipping.

Note there is a 48 hr heatpack, The styrofoam lid isn't sealed, it isn't supposed to be, I wanted excess heat to escape. The heat pack is separated from the fish by a cardboard tube... and the pack itself was left in the plastic wrapper with only the top open. I have found this slows the packs heating a little. I don't want to cook these fry so that was by design. In my tests the 48 hr pack lasted almost 72 hours like this.

When you get your box, please document how it arrives. You can start your thread here...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?406-Discus-Grow-Out-Challenger-Contest-2018

Please make only one thread and do all your updates in that thread. If you want to start that thread now, please do, you can introduce yourself, post your empty waiting tank shots and describe a little about how you will raise them and your Discus rearing philosophy.

If you lose a few in shipping its not the end of the world... just try and work with what you have, I will not send replacement fish... I can't . I have nothing left but a handful of little ones from this spawn now.. I will of course feel terrible if you have some shipping related losses but that happens with any shipping and these guys are small. Please document everything,

I wish you all luck and hope the fish get to you safely and alive. If this goes well maybe we add a second round.. The pair has a really nice spawn on the back so who knows?

Al

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2018, 05:09 PM
Thank you Al for doing this and I am sure you had a busy day today. I will start my thread soon. I already have some empty tank shots lol.
Pat

Kwiege
09-24-2018, 07:18 PM
Thank you!!! Exciting!!

Willie
09-24-2018, 09:53 PM
I'm pumped!!! Willie

modealings
09-24-2018, 10:04 PM
Thanks Al! Looking fwd to their arrival and the contest!

Tshethar
09-24-2018, 11:33 PM
Thanks from me, too, Al! Hope people who find their way to the forum and this thread in the future will see how much work you put into it, and the kind of care you have for your fish. All set up and ready to take the baton!

Captain Discus
09-25-2018, 08:06 AM
AL. that was a lot of work! I also want to say THANK YOU!
Looking forward to working along side the best in the business when it comes to Discus.
Tom.

Yom
09-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Damn sorry I missed out on this!!!! Would have loved to take part in this and have a breeding set up all up and running. Summer keeps me very busy with other hobbies but usually fall and through the winter I concentrate on fishies.

ehleine
09-25-2018, 09:28 PM
This seems like a lot of fun, maybe next time i can get in too.

brewmaster15
09-26-2018, 12:04 PM
Attention all Contestants,

Please check with your local post office to see if the box is there.. The tracking all on these packages is very odd. Its telling me they are on schedule for their expected date, 9 will be today, 2 will be tomorrow. But by now I should see they have been scanned and show "out for Delivery" and I am not seeing that on any tracking when I checked,:(.. Ask if they have a medium size flat rate box with an orange tag on that says " LIVE Fish, this side up" . Its like all 11 boxes disappeared once they left my post office. I have my USPS post master checking too.

Hopefully its just a problem with the tracking system. If anyone gets their box please let me know asap. I can't believe that they would loose 11 boxes at the same time.

al

Adam S
09-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Al, it's been that way for my past few shipments, too. Last one didn't arrive at the post office until 11 (or it wasn't recorded until 11) and was delivered at 1 like always.

Will let you know when it arrives.

Second Hand Pat
09-26-2018, 01:02 PM
Al, mine should show up around 2 pm or so. At least that is when our normal mail comes. I will holler as soon as it shows up. I find USPS tracking is always late to update. :mad:
Pat

Second Hand Pat
09-26-2018, 01:54 PM
So mail came but no box :( tracking indicates delivery by 8:00 pm today but status says "In transit" vs "out of delivery". I have a dinner engagement at the in-laws so was really hoping it would come before I left. :(
Pat

Tshethar
09-26-2018, 02:21 PM
My story is the same as Pat's. As I'm sure you saw from the number, there's no tracking history or updates after if departed your post office. Info still says delivery scheduled for today by 8, but not much to go on. Will check with local P.O. if you think it's warranted...

brewmaster15
09-26-2018, 02:34 PM
Karens was the same situation.

Best we can do now is hope they scan the boxes somewhere so we know where they are. I know everyone is disappointed at this time... I'm pretty crushed myself, but lets see what happens. I don't know what else to say. I never would have thought they could lose 11 boxes like this...Its just the worst luck.

I will keep everyone posted.

al

Captain Discus
09-26-2018, 03:21 PM
Al. I just received 11 boxes of fish WHAT!
Just kidding 3 o'clock here no fish but on many occasions my postal carrier makes a second delivery.
Confident they will be here today.
Thanks again for doing this.

modealings
09-26-2018, 03:35 PM
I've run into this issue with USPS before too. Usually the package still shows up on time with the first and only update being that it was delivered. Kind of negates the whole reason for tracking in the first place haha. I bet they still get delivered today.

Tshethar
09-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Al. I just received 11 boxes of fish WHAT!

Great, thanks for growing out our fish, Tom!

Too funny, lol.

"Fish? What fish? Who's expecting fish? Is that all you people ever think about?"

Tshethar
09-26-2018, 03:48 PM
I've run into this issue with USPS before too. Usually the package still shows up on time with the first and only update being that it was delivered. Kind of negates the whole reason for tracking in the first place haha. I bet they still get delivered today.

Yeah, in all seriousness I have had the same thing happen before as well. Sometimes the "tracking" is a farce but usually the system does work to get things where they're going in 2-3 days. Thinking positively over here, too.

Second Hand Pat
09-26-2018, 03:48 PM
For today YES...still hopeful. :D
Pat

Maxx24
09-26-2018, 04:46 PM
I have had this happen to me before.. same size fry, they were delivered a day late same type of shipping.. (delivered on day 3) they all made it ... it was only 4 of them, and they were bagged 2 in each bag...the water was pretty cold by then, but they made it just fine! Good luck everyone!

Maxx24
09-26-2018, 04:48 PM
Drip acclimating works

jeep
09-26-2018, 04:53 PM
USPS tracking is a farce! A while ago mine showed it was somewhere in Illinois and now it only shows it left CT. Also says delivery by 8pm tonight...

Hopefully, they won't hand it off to Fedex like they have done in the past...

Tshethar
09-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Hey everybody,

Had a chance to stop off at the post office this afternoon to see what I could find out. They had "pre-shipment info" logged into the system indicating anticipated arrival in Little Rock (the largest metropolitan pass-through near us), but it hadn't made it yet. This means that I will not be receiving the package today. However, there also isn't anything out of the ordinary either. (I.e., no sign of it being routed to the wrong place.) The folks there (who were great) just said that it is within the typical window for priority mail of 2-4 days, and that once it reaches Little Rock it will route over here quickly.

I talked to them about holding for pickup so that I might be able to pick them up first thing in the morning, assuming they come in tonight. They left a note about it with printouts of the status for my carrier (who they also called to make sure it wasn't out on the truck) with my phone number, but I actually have to go online if I want to change the status to "hold for pickup." Haven't tried to do that yet, but will plan to.

Otherwise, I'm optimistic that they would show up normally in tomorrow's mail. (Unless someone reports something different...)

Given the care Al put into packing them, we should be alright. All the best, everyone!

Kwiege
09-26-2018, 05:20 PM
Fish still a no show, and don’t think they will arrive today. We live in a very rural area and they don’t deliver more than once daily. Very sad, hoping the little guys are all right:(

brewmaster15
09-26-2018, 05:36 PM
Im sure a day delay here will be okay.. but whats troubling me is they should have been scanned in Springfield Mass when they left northford Ct post office.

Theres no way they could have sent out 11 boxes from Springfield Mass to 11 different locations with not one of the boxes not getting scanned. I ship my packages of fishfood out daily and know the system here well. Im really hoping I am wrong but I cant help but think these fish are in the Springfield distribution hub somewhere still....

Hopefully tomorrow my postmaster will have more info from the Springfield mass facility.
Sorry everyone. I expected some minor glitches here and there but this is not what I had in mind.:(

al

Tshethar
09-26-2018, 05:37 PM
I talked to them about holding for pickup so that I might be able to pick them up first thing in the morning, assuming they come in tonight. They left a note about it with printouts of the status for my carrier (who they also called to make sure it wasn't out on the truck) with my phone number, but I actually have to go online if I want to change the status to "hold for pickup." Haven't tried to do that yet, but will plan to.

Well, just to save anyone the time, I couldn't find any options for holding the package through the USPS website. I could hold my mail, but it's for a minimum of 3 days, so I didn't go through with that. Hopefully they'll give me a call in the morning, or just go ahead and deliver it, which is usually around lunchtime. We'll get 'em in the tank! Sorry we'll have to sweat it a little longer--good wishes for the fishes! :fish:

Filip
09-27-2018, 03:31 AM
Im crossing my fingers for those discus to survive and arrive all well to your tanks folks .
Feeling a bit nervous my self about all this right now but still have faith that those fish will survive this long trip .

brewmaster15
09-27-2018, 05:44 AM
Ive checked the tracking on the boxes. The all read similar ..

Additional Information
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

Tracking History
September 26, 2018
In Transit to Next Facility,

Translated this means the tracking system is saying "Don't Ask me .I dont exactly know where your boxes are but hopefully they turn up before you realize we lost them. You should pray for the best but be prepared for the worst":(

What a nightmare. Im sorry everyone. If they dont show up with some tracking scans today Im not sure we can do much with this contest. I will of course refund your deposits if thats the case. The pair has a
another spawn on their backs but it will be awhile before they are old enough to ship.

I will have to give it some thought. I had alot of hope that this contest would work in its present format..I may have to rethink that.

Definitely a real bummer we are having this issue right off the bat.

Hopefully theres a miracle today though.:)

al

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Still hoping for the best here Al. You are doing the best you can here and most likely this is a weird fluke. Crossing fingers for today :)
Pat

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2018, 08:20 AM
WOOT WOOT...there is hope

"Your item arrived at our SEMINOLE-ORLANDO FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on September 27, 2018 at 8:05 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

jeep
09-27-2018, 08:23 AM
This is not your fault Al! It is a good plan and you worked hard to make it work. Like I said, USPS tracking is a joke. Hopefully the tracking will be updated after they arrive today!

Tshethar
09-27-2018, 08:46 AM

"Your item arrived at our SEMINOLE-ORLANDO FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on September 27, 2018 at 8:05 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

Good news, Pat! Still waiting for an update over here but that's really good to see. Think there's a good chance they show up today. We're not done yet!

sanjay21
09-27-2018, 09:21 AM

That's awesome Pat ! I'm so glad that atleast one of our tracking updated. So we can expect something today, there is still hope !

Tracking on mine haven't updated yet.

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2018, 09:27 AM
That's awesome Pat ! I'm so glad that atleast one of our tracking updated. So we can expect something today, there is still hope !

Tracking on mine haven't updated yet.

I am hopefully for all of us Sanjay...crossing all body parts :D
Pat

Kwiege
09-27-2018, 09:48 AM
No fault of yours Al. No updates from my tracker and I am pretty confident that the mail is out for delivery already. What a bummer. I feel so bad for all those little guys that were on there way to New homes:(

Filip
09-27-2018, 10:26 AM

I guess this means that they are not lost but just late .
Great news and a bit of hope for all of us Pat :) .

Kwiege
09-27-2018, 10:50 AM
update!!! message from USPS, the box is sitting in Madison, arrived at 7:51. I have called the local post office to see if there is a way to get it sent down to Platteville today since it was shipped 2 day priority. they are getting back to me with further information.. fingers and toes crossed!!!!

sanjay21
09-27-2018, 12:10 PM
I'm really loosing my calm here .. :(

How can they mess up this bad, even when the package says live fish. My tracking is still not updated.

This is not your fault at all Al! you did everything you can.
Its the usps service I'm mad at.

Adam S
09-27-2018, 12:25 PM
For those who have the fish in state, did they go through the Mass facility Al mentioned?

Tshethar
09-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Fish arrived!!!

jeep
09-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Good deal! Tracking for mine still shows CT and my mailman has already been to my house...

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Hi all, fish came and all alive. Al did a great packing job. :D Thanks Al, I will pics and details in the contest thread.
Pat

sanjay21
09-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Fish arrived!!!

Hi all, fish came and all alive. Al did a great packing job. :D Thanks Al, I will pics and details in the contest thread.
Pat

Awesome ! happy to hear that :)

brewmaster15
09-27-2018, 01:02 PM
For those who have the fish in state, did they go through the Mass facility Al mentioned?

They all had to Adam.. Every package from my local post office gets routed to Springfield Mass. My post office told me they were all in one out going bin...so if Pat got hers, I have to assume all the rest are either in springfield or have left it and are the way to you all.

al

brewmaster15
09-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Fish arrived!!!

Bill how are they?

al

Adam S
09-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Good deal. Mine still says "in transit," so just wondering if USPS made the update or not.

brewmaster15
09-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Good deal. Mine still says "in transit," so just wondering if USPS made the update or not.

No , it doesnt look like they were ever scanned in Springfield.:flame:

Pats tracking....
September 27, 2018
12:15 pm
Delivered, Front Door/Porch,
ORLANDO, FL 32832

September 27, 2018
9:38 am
Arrived at Unit,
ORLANDO, FL 32822

September 27, 2018
8:05 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility,
SEMINOLE-ORLANDO FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

September 26, 2018
In Transit to Next Facility,
September 24, 2018
5:01 pm
Departed Post Office,
NORTHFORD, CT 06472

September 24, 2018
4:25 pm
USPS in possession of item,
NORTHFORD, CT 06472

Tshethar
09-27-2018, 01:20 PM
All arrived alive and doing well. Posting pics on my thread now...

I never got a scan or update until they got to Little Rock... initially updated and said Friday delivery by 8, but then said they were at my local P.O. I was thinking I was going to have to run over there because they missed this morning's truck, but then a guy in a car was going around delivering express-type packages and he made my house his first stop.

There wasn't a lot of heat left in the box but no ammonia smell in the bags, and nobody on life support. Fingers crossed for everybody!!!

brewmaster15
09-27-2018, 01:21 PM
All arrived alive and doing well. Posting pics on my thread now...

I never got a scan or update until they got to Little Rock... initially updated and said Friday delivery by 8, but then said they were at my local P.O. I was thinking I was going to have to run over there because they missed this morning's truck, but then a guy in a car was going around delivering express-type packages and he made my house his first stop.

There wasn't a lot of heat left in the box but no ammonia smell in the bags, and nobody on life support. Fingers crossed for everybody!!!

awesome thats 2 of 11... Its not great but a start!

al

Adam S
09-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Just got an update: expected tomorrow.

On the bright side, it's a good real world test for your packing! I doubt there'll be any problems.

brewmaster15
09-27-2018, 01:39 PM
Just got an update: expected tomorrow.

On the bright side, it's a good real world test for your packing! I doubt there'll be any problems.

Adam,
How far are you from the package?

al

sanjay21
09-27-2018, 03:57 PM
I called USPS customer care again and this lady was nice enough to track the container all these boxes went through and she said for some reason these boxes are not being scanned correctly. She tracked a bunch of containers ('cause she is not sure where my package in on) California container did arrive this morning mine as well(Utah) so guys it is highly possible your package is sitting at your local usps office or at some place in between.

Worth calling your local usps and check with them and also let them know that the scanning on these packages are in correct and not updated.

Tshethar
09-27-2018, 04:25 PM
so guys it is highly possible your package is sitting at your local usps office or at some place in between.

Worth calling your local usps and check with them and also let them know that the scanning on these packages are in correct and not updated.

I agree with this 100%. I think I got my fish because I had gone down to my local P.O. yesterday looking for them, and they were nice enough to print out whatever internal incomplete tracking info they had and leave it with notes for the carrier in my zone (or others in the office to see). I think this is why I got a special delivery, as otherwise the updated tracking said it was coming Friday.

I think there's a good chance your package is waiting for you at the local office if it didn't make it onto this morning's truck.

sanjay21
09-27-2018, 04:34 PM
I agree with this 100%. I think I got my fish because I had gone down to my local P.O. yesterday looking for them, and they were nice enough to print out whatever internal incomplete tracking info they had and leave it with notes for the carrier in my zone (or others in the office to see). I think this is why I got a special delivery, as otherwise the updated tracking said it was coming Friday.

I think there's a good chance your package is waiting for you at the local office if it didn't make it onto this morning's truck.

So I called local usps and now this lady disagrees with what the previous person told me Aahh !!

She says its not true and your package is still at CT. Also that she didn't see any package with fish label on the box(today or yesterday). She insists on filing a claim on this with the USPS at CT and then they will start inquiring.

JamesW
09-27-2018, 04:38 PM
For fry grow outs does anyone use repashy food? Its a gel based food that doesn't break down when it is exposed to water. Does anyone has experience with using it for fry grazing during the day between more concentrated feedings? Would anyone be willing to try it with this group of grow outs?

Edited for grammar

Kwiege
09-27-2018, 05:01 PM
Hee haw, fish arrived at 254 CTZone. 9 of 10 made the three day travel. The box was leaking, poor babies had little water. It’s rough here in the Midwest. I unpacked as quickly as i could. Will see how tonight goes. Glad most survived. Fingers still crossed..

modealings
09-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Still no word here in Michigan. The local post office doesn’t know and neither does USPS customer service. Unfortunately this is becoming routine for me as 4 out of the 5 times I’ve ordered fish, the packages have been delayed. The USPS customer service did say that only priority express comes w a time guarantee- but it is $11-12 more. Encouraging folks have been getting some boxes though!

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Hee haw, fish arrived at 254 CTZone. 9 of 10 made the three day travel. The box was leaking, poor babies had little water. It’s rough here in the Midwest. I unpacked as quickly as i could. Will see how tonight goes. Glad most survived. Fingers still crossed..

Great news Karen, there was little water in mine too but I think Al packed them that way on purpose. Is your box wet from the inside or outside?
Pat

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2018, 05:17 PM
Still no word here in Michigan. The local post office doesn’t know and neither does USPS customer service. Unfortunately this is becoming routine for me as 4 out of the 5 times I’ve ordered fish, the packages have been delayed. The USPS customer service did say that only priority express comes w a time guarantee- but it is $11-12 more. Encouraging folks have been getting some boxes though!

Crossing fingers for you Eric and things break loose soon.
Pat

Tshethar
09-27-2018, 05:24 PM
For fry grow outs does anyone use repashy food? Its a gel based food that doesn't break down when it is exposed to water. Does anyone has experience with using it for fry grazing during the day between more concentrated feedings? Would anyone be willing to try it with this group of grow outs?

Edited for grammar

Hi James, I have some Repashy and have been thinking about trying it. There are a lot of different types, but the two I have are a community one (name escapes me off the top of my head) and "soilent green." I made a batch of both recently and froze it, and will probably offer some to the fry and see if I can get them to accept it, as it has the virtue of being relatively "clean," at least insofar as it doesn't use wheat or similar as a binder, and it doesn't seem to fungus if left in the tank for a while.

Thing is, I don't know how palatable the discus will find the varieties I have. My larger but still young discus didn't do much with it, and they have been happy to eat about 7-8 other things. (I may not have stayed with it long enough with them, though. It's a new texture for them to be sure.) So far my angels have been the same. My bristlenose like both kinds and I am feeding a lot of it to them. My endlers will also pick at them with gusto, and some tetras (like rainbows/emperors) go for the community, while others (black tetras) seem to ignore it. Cherry shrimp like both kinds, and they're getting a lot of it as well.

Since you asked, I'll give it a go on my thread and we'll see what happens. :)

Tshethar
09-27-2018, 05:27 PM
Glad we got one more delivery--congrats, Karen--but man, this is not going as well as I was thinking it would. If it's any consolation, the fish I got seemed like they could have lasted a lot longer in their bags. Hope they don't need to!

Kwiege
09-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Yep sure was, but am hoping I see 9 little hungry bodies in the morning. Feed some tonight and letting them adjust. I guess that's what I want to do after 3 days travelling ;)

brewmaster15
09-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Yep sure was, but am hoping I see 9 little hungry bodies in the morning. Feed some tonight and letting them adjust. I guess that's what I want to do after 3 days travelling ;)

Karen glad they got there. Pat was right on the shipping.. I know its counter intuitive but fish don't need alot of water in shipping... they do however need air. .. As long as they are covered with water they usually survive . The small frys like these especially.Theres probably more volume water per fish than when you get bigger discus in.

brewmaster15
09-27-2018, 06:47 PM

Edited for grammar

I tried it several years ago to make my own food James .It wasnt a big success. I recently also tried the weekend gel foods sold at LFS.Tetra? My discus fry hated that but it worked awesome for the pleco fry.
al

brewmaster15
09-27-2018, 06:48 PM
Karen,
Did food make it there ok?
I would feed a small pinch as soon as you can.They will start picking on it.
Al

Filip
09-27-2018, 07:08 PM
They all starting to show up one by one .
I hope and pray that all of you will receive them by tommorow . Still keeping my fingers crossed along with you folks on this patience and awaiting game .

RogueDiscus
09-27-2018, 07:22 PM
Al's hands must have been getting tired, causing a few leaks. I've been there. :)

Kwiege
09-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Yes it did and was still dry, thanks for asking. They did show some interest tonight, but am hoping with some quiet time tomorrow they will start to dive into the food

brewmaster15
09-27-2018, 08:18 PM
Great! If you havent already you may want to put salt in the tank too Karen. 1-2 tablespoons should help them settle in and ease their gill function as well as help any shipping injury.

hth,
Al

modealings
09-27-2018, 11:18 PM
Welp I’m starting to get pessimistic. I still haven’t even gotten a tracking update since Monday. Poor showing by USPS...

danotaylor
09-27-2018, 11:48 PM
Al how long did it take to raise them to the size you shipped them?

jeep
09-28-2018, 09:44 AM
At 1am tracking was unchanged. Still in CT... At 7:30am they are out for delivery, lol... Hopefully they will be here within the next 2 hours!

brewmaster15
09-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Al how long did it take to raise them to the size you shipped them?

a little over a month

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2018, 10:20 AM
At 1am tracking was unchanged. Still in CT... At 7:30am they are out for delivery, lol... Hopefully they will be here within the next 2 hours!

Great new Brian, hope all is well with them :)
Pat

sanjay21
09-28-2018, 11:30 AM
I received my package today. I picked it up from local usps before it got sent out for delivery. I lost 1, but rest all look like they will make it :)

Tshethar
09-28-2018, 11:37 AM
Great news!!! :)

Maxx24
09-28-2018, 01:30 PM
Awesome.. I've been reading all the updates but it's hard to keep track.... was that the last package that needed to be delivered ?

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2018, 01:36 PM
I think Willie, Tom and Brian are still waiting!!
Pat

LizStreithorst
09-28-2018, 08:42 PM
Everyone has their box now, right? A few folks had one fish that arrived DOA or appearing there was little hope for it. Everyone documented their worry. Everyone's box arrived at least a day late. Willie's box arrived the latest. It's only 55 degrees in MN. Every single fish arrived alive although the box was cold because the heat pack had run out. That is next to miraculous.

I bet that Al will finally be able to sleep now. I never thought that I would care for this contest, but I have read every post in every thread so far. I can't wait to read more.

Captain Discus
09-28-2018, 09:01 PM
I think AL deserves one of my best bottles of Merlot.
OH sorry just opened it when my fish arrived. AL I will send you one when the next fermentation is complete.
Tom.

Tshethar
09-29-2018, 01:17 AM
Everyone has their box now, right? A few folks had one fish that arrived DOA or appearing there was little hope for it. Everyone documented their worry. Everyone's box arrived at least a day late. Willie's box arrived the latest. It's only 55 degrees in MN. Every single fish arrived alive although the box was cold because the heat pack had run out. That is next to miraculous.

I bet that Al will finally be able to sleep now. I never thought that I would care for this contest, but I have read every post in every thread so far. I can't wait to read more.

I'm right there with you, Liz. I've been all-in on this thing like a crazy person! I don't really care about the competition part too much but I do like routing for everybody (including the fish!), and personally I know I'll get to learn a lot. Meanwhile, it's fun to see all of us doing things side-by-side. Hard to imagine it will stay this exciting (which is probably good), but I am curious to see if and when we actually see differences among the fish themselves or in the things we end up doing for them. For now just thrilled that everybody got live fish, and that they're doing so well.

Second Hand Pat
09-29-2018, 06:45 AM
I'm with you Liz and Bill. We all wanted desperately to first see the fish arrive alive, all of them for every person in the contest. It's really all about the fish and then the community here. I am extremely grateful to Al for being the master packer he is. Even now I am at my daughter's house puppy and pony sitting but my mind is on that little 10 gallon tank hoping everyone is ok.
Pat

Filip
09-29-2018, 07:46 AM
I Think that all this drama has just made up this whole show a much more exciting and thrilling to follow folks :) .
I bet this drama thing was one of Als well thought PR and marketing strategies to pump up the adrenaline and bring people's attention to this contest :) lol .

Adam S
09-29-2018, 09:35 AM
I bet this drama thing was one of Als well thought PR and marketing strategies to pump up the adrenaline and bring people's attention to this contest :) lol .
Yes, and when we run out of the included portion of discus crack (he calls 'DikcusGold' :rolleyes2:), he'll have 11 more food customers lined up. Just when you think you can trust a person... :D

brewmaster15
09-29-2018, 09:38 AM
I Think that all this drama has just made up this whole show a much more exciting and thrilling to follow folks :) .
lol... Not this time Filip. I was stressing all week.

I am happy now though that everyone got their fish... I sent out 11 boxes of fish.... 110 fish and they disappeared for a few days but finally made it to everyone after an extended trip and we only lost a few .. Im pretty pumped right now. Ive done my part and can relax and enjoy the show. The rest is up to the challengers. Good luck everyone!

Al

Maxx24
10-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Since I'm new to the forum, is it normal to be checking for updates on this contest more than 4 times per day? ;) ..

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Since I'm new to the forum, is it normal to be checking for updates on this contest more than 4 times per day? ;) ..

I don't think so lol. Ask questions of the contestants for more interaction :D
Pat

brewmaster15
10-05-2018, 11:12 AM
So Challengers, a question for you to answer in your contest threads... what kind of light cycle are using?

al

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2018, 01:13 PM
So Challengers, a question for you to answer in your contest threads... what kind of light cycle are using?

al

Al, are you referring to the length of time the aquarium light is on over the fry tank?
Pat

brewmaster15
01-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Flickr links removed ... info here. (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?134194-All-Good-things-come-to-an-end-Flickr-changes-coming-and-they-are-not-good)

fljones3
02-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Al,

Who is left in the contest? Seems like there are less postings?

Frank

jeep
02-16-2019, 03:57 PM
I will post an update this weekend after I pick up new lights for their tank. Both burned out... Pat is in Yellowstone now and should be back in a few days..

I'm not sure about the rest...