PDA

View Full Version : How did you hear about SimplyDiscus!!

Second Hand Pat
09-23-2018, 07:18 AM
It is always fun to hear how our new/old members learned about Simply so are you new to SimplyDiscus? How did you hear about Simply?...google search, a friend, another forum, perhaps Facebook? Please share :D
Pat

pm9ljr
09-23-2018, 07:51 AM
I had done a search (google and found the video referenced in the beginners section)that pointed me here. so glad I stumbled on it

Second Hand Pat
09-23-2018, 07:56 AM
I had done a search (google and found the video referenced in the beginners section)that pointed me here. so glad I stumbled on it

Glad you are here Lloyd. Was that Joey's video of Al's discus talk?
Pat

Paul Sabucchi
09-23-2018, 08:17 AM
I seem to remember searching for discus keeping videos on YouTube and stumbled upon Al's so I then googled Simply Discus and ever since inflicted myself upon you.

pm9ljr
09-23-2018, 08:27 AM
sure was

fljones3
09-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Ran across it by Search. Then watched Al's Youtube presentation twice!

Swedgin
09-23-2018, 09:56 AM
Google search “discus forum”
I search for forums for everything I’m interested in or is my hobby. I usually stick with one each which is the most active and most user friendly, and sometimes also depending on members’ attitudes. Some forums you wonder if you are in a topic specific one or a “sarcasm how to” or “how not to” forum.

So I stick with Simply for all those reasons

Jody
09-23-2018, 10:50 AM
As I was researching Discus, SD was impossible not to find. So I guess Google Search would be my answer.

Maddie
09-23-2018, 11:02 AM
I wanted to get back into discus so I did a google search. Found Simply Discus to be informative and up to date.

Pices
09-23-2018, 12:34 PM
My google search had the words, “Sick Discus” in it. To Quote Forrest Gump, “That’s all I’m gonna say about that.”
Patty

jeep
09-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Gabe Pasoda told me about this place soon after it came online.

pastry
09-23-2018, 09:34 PM
I can't exactly remember but I do remember another old Forum that I originally read but never participated in. I think it was DAAH ( discus as a hobby) or something like that. That was right after getting out of the Marine Corps and being able to keep discus again. Once my wife and I got our first house to make that feasible then I could not find the old Forum but simplydiscus was the first thing that popped up and I have been a fan ever since. To keep in good spirits with my normal posts, I was probably drinking on a Friday night and stumbled upon it:antlers:

snxtif
09-23-2018, 10:16 PM
Superbowl commercial...

I mean, Google some funky keywords including "Discus"

jim LI
09-24-2018, 08:10 AM
I searched for discus care on google

danotaylor
09-24-2018, 02:11 PM
+1 using google search

eugenefish
09-24-2018, 02:40 PM
From Al's discus talk on Youtube

Disgirl
09-24-2018, 04:25 PM
I was looking around online for discus keeping requirements to see if I could really keep them in high ph water, and found SD and joined right away, 2009.

two utes
09-24-2018, 06:10 PM
I did a google search on discus after i killed my first discus, and found this forum...i figured i did something wrong....I've learnt a whole lot since, and still learning

LizStreithorst
09-24-2018, 06:13 PM
It's been so long ago that I don't remember for sure. It was 2001 when I joined under the name Liz_Streithorst (I think). It was before Google but I must have found it by a search engine of some kind.

After a while I was big on Aquaboards a forum that is gone now, then I came back here. Eventually I was banned for a couple of months because I was too intolerant. After that I got DAAH back on it's feet. It was going good until the "boys club" took everything over. Then I went to a forum started by a bad man who pretended to be nice and then hurt people's feelings. After that I joined Mugwumpsfishworld where I'm still an active member.

Finally, my yearning for Discus came overcame me and here I am back again where I belong.

Pices
09-25-2018, 09:30 AM
I can’t imagine this forum without you Liz. I might not be here myself if not for your help in my learning curve.
Patty

sanjay21
09-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Google search on Sick Discus :D

ehleine
09-25-2018, 09:11 PM
I found this forum by watching The King Of DIY on youtube.

Jack L
09-25-2018, 11:41 PM
i can't remember, i was looking for the old forum that I used 20 years ago... and found this.
Jim Quarles was a notable figure on that old forum...

Tshethar
09-26-2018, 01:46 AM
When I moved here and we bought our first house I wanted to get going with fish again after a two year absence, and I decided to go with Tanganyikan cichlids for the first time. Learned a lot at that time (2006 or 2007) on Cichlid Forum; there were definitely some knowledgeable and experienced folks who knew Africans over there, and by mostly lurking and asking a few questions I was able to come up with a good stocking plan and such for my tank, think about equipment, etc. Discovered then that researching and planning could be half the fun (sometimes more), and so when I decided to try discus a couple of years ago I wanted to do the same. I'm sure I went over there first, but as I remember I figured out that there wasn't a lot of regular traffic on discus there, and google must have quickly pointed me over here.

At first I was a little disoriented and didn't know what to make of some of the threads from 2003 and such in the beginner's section, but by hanging around are reading the "new posts" and then searching on thread topics of interest, I started to realize that there was a lot going on that I could learn from.

Filip
09-26-2018, 06:52 AM
Interesting thread Pat .
I remember finding about SD forum 10 years ago, when I got my first discus. I Google a lot about my new fish and most of my google searches containing the word "discus "led to this forum .Needless to say that most of my searches back then were related to discus diseases and treatments and luckily they all lead me to this great place .

dagray
10-01-2018, 05:50 PM
I was active on an Angelfish forum when I decided to add discus to my aquarium. I was referred here by some members there that were/are also members here. This was back in March 2013.

I made my discus purchase off of Aquabid, and ended up with eight dime sized Discus that I put in breeder boxes inside my 75 gallon tank. I then would feed the little ones three to four times a day with live blackworm, crushed flake, and some frozen foods. When these discus were 1/2 dollar size I dumped them into the main tank from the breeder boxes as there were in the same water (literally).

At that point they were big enough to compete with the angels for food.

I ended up with four discus in the five to seven inch range including one breeding pair (wigglers on the cone). I ended up taking a pay cut to move to a job closer to home, and sold the discus.

The tank stayed up and running with just a large Raphael Striped Catfish (about 12 inches long and three or so inches diameter), and breeding lemon drop bristlenose plecos.

Just this last Saturday I rehomed the catfish, and added some dither fish and three blue rams. I am going with a South American tank (with the exception of one plant that is from Asia (Anubias).

Eventually I will become a Homesteader again.

JamesW
10-03-2018, 02:22 PM
I was on a "The Discus Web Forum" which was managed by a lady named Gloria Muir (she may have been a mod here early 2000's), she switched over to Simply and the other forum basically wilted away.
I actually registered for SimplyDiscus back in 2007 but didn't get a new lot of discus until 10 years later!

Jakes
10-07-2018, 10:31 AM
I was on Plantedtank.net and asked about discus and someone pointed me this way.

FischAutoTechGarten
10-07-2018, 10:40 PM
I think I stumbled upon DAAH.net first (the old Jim Quarles/Chad Hughes Discus as a Hobby site). Someone there recommended SimplyDiscus. Folks really misbehaved on DAAH, but I found SimplyDiscus was so civil by comparison.

Mando
11-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Google search in search of buying discus. Google led me to Kenny on Simply discus.

I ended up buying from the Discusguys, not that they're bad, but after doing a little more research, I regret not buying form Kenny.

And finally became a member when my first batch got sick.

RickMay1
11-05-2018, 10:15 AM
It's been a very long time but I remember DAAH and a forum that preceded that. The one before DAAH kinda melted down as forums sometimes do into a bunch of flaming posts, some dude called Kees with a bunch of pent-up rage. Gota forgive me, its been like 20 years. For a while both DAAH and Simply were going then DAAH kinda faded away (or I just stoped going there).

I can't exactly remember but I do remember another old Forum that I originally read but never participated in. I think it was DAAH ( discus as a hobby) or something like that. That was right after getting out of the Marine Corps and being able to keep discus again. Once my wife and I got our first house to make that feasible then I could not find the old Forum but simplydiscus was the first thing that popped up and I have been a fan ever since. To keep in good spirits with my normal posts, I was probably drinking on a Friday night and stumbled upon it:antlers:

83jase
11-06-2018, 01:04 PM
On my daily discus YouTube adventure seen a 1hr vid recorded from DIY king and it landed me here :) unreal speech btw

edykho
11-08-2018, 12:00 PM
well back many years ago, i think i searched for "Potassium Permanganate for fish" from Google and it took me to this forum. :)

BlackAndRedLipstick
12-11-2018, 12:14 AM
I found this place from "The king of DIY". From the presentation Al gave and that was posted online.

melita
12-14-2018, 11:17 PM
I hear about simply discus from Joey King DIY I bought my first discus in group order with Joey and some others from our aquarium form back then .

Velociraptor
12-16-2018, 10:49 AM
I found it Via Youtube where Al Sabetta was giving a talk on Discus, a week later myself and my other half went and bought our very first Discus after months of research.

Phil4Discus
12-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Heard about it after watching Al's talk from one of Joey's YouTube videos. I thought SimplyDiscus sounded familiar and sure enough it was already in my browser history as many of the forum threads had invaluable information when I first started researching discus fish-keeping so I had to join and now that I have my own couple of discus tanks, I want to continue to learn more and connect with those that are like me with this uber fish-keeping obsession.

Combo
01-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Well i'm in need of help at the end of this about a week ago i walked in to lfs seen some fish with pretty colors and bought 2 so after getting home getting them in tank i grab the laptop started looking up how to keep my new discus seen a videos with joey head line how to keep discus it had al
talking on it sd was mentioned several times so i had to look it up, after looking at the site for couple hours i joined!!! So i have now learned that one should not buy discus from lfs it's been 8 days sence buying them and i've did a water change everyday and i did one around 1pm today and just maybe about an hour ago i thought wait those fish have been in that same corner every time i walked by the tank so i got as close as i could put my hand in up to glass they stayed right there didn't swim away i thought thats odd so i watched them and i think they arebreathing very rapdly someone help me please

Combo
01-05-2019, 09:04 PM
Well i'm in need of help at the end of this about a week ago i walked in to lfs seen some fish with pretty colors and bought 2 so after getting home getting them in tank i grab the laptop started looking up how to keep my new discus seen a videos with joey head line how to keep discus it had al
talking on it sd was mentioned several times so i had to look it up, after looking at the site for couple hours i joined!!! So i have now learned that one should not buy discus from lfs it's been 8 days sence buying them and i've did a water change everyday and i did one around 1pm today and just maybe about an hour ago i thought wait those fish have been in that same corner every time i walked by the tank so i got as close as i could put my hand in up to glass they stayed right there didn't swim away i thought thats odd so i watched them and i think they arebreathing very rapdly someone help me please

fljones3
01-05-2019, 11:26 PM
Ok, you have learned a hard lesson. No consolation but better on 2 discus versus 10!

I am taking a guess but I don't think anyone on this forum has not learned something about keeping discus "the hard way." I know I have not. What I would suggest is what Liz suggested - fill out a sickness questionnaire and get some feedback. It may come with some more hard lessons or it could save your fish. Continue to read the beginners forum (especially the stickies). You will find some differing opinions but you will also find a lot of consensus.

Welcome to keeping discus! Don't give up. Lessons learned early will save a lot of heartache later.

[Edited] Sorry, I just saw that you did post a sickness questionnaire.

samurai.cichlid
01-20-2019, 08:52 PM
the first time i heard about this forum was a few years back when joey mullens posted al sabetta's talk to his youtube channel.

i've lurked here for a long time, came here to get good advice on fishkeeping but never really felt compelled to join and engage in the discussion because i don't keep nor have i ever kept discus (i know...). but hear me out, i feel as though discus keepers are among the best people to learn from when it comes to keeping any fish, not just discus.

i had to scale back my hobby following hurricane florence (i live on the nc coast) but i'm looking to ramp it back up in the spring and what better way than to consider getting some discus. so i'm just getting my account here setup in case i need it lol.

hi all!

FischAutoTechGarten
01-23-2019, 01:59 PM
I was performing a search on the internet for the now defunct Discus Study Group around 2003..... came upon DAAH.com first (Discus as a hobby, the old Jim Quarles site)… and quickly saw a reference to SimplyDiscus.com . I really liked the BrewMaster's style and the participants on Simply were much kinder than those on the other site, so I frequented here.

peewee1
01-27-2019, 06:31 PM
Simply, Kenny was the culprit.

Pices
01-28-2019, 02:19 PM
the first time i heard about this forum was a few years back when joey mullens posted al sabetta's talk to his youtube channel.

i've lurked here for a long time, came here to get good advice on fishkeeping but never really felt compelled to join and engage in the discussion because i don't keep nor have i ever kept discus (i know...). but hear me out, i feel as though discus keepers are among the best people to learn from when it comes to keeping any fish, not just discus.

i had to scale back my hobby following hurricane florence (i live on the nc coast) but i'm looking to ramp it back up in the spring and what better way than to consider getting some discus. so i'm just getting my account here setup in case i need it lol.

hi all!

So true what you say regarding discus keeping helping us keep other fish. I’ve applied things I’ve learned here to my other fish with great results. Welcome and I’m glad you are okay after Florence. I live in in Florida and know all about being in the cone!
Nice that you found this site before getting started with discus. I started in the ER here, but I probably wouldn’t have attempted it otherwise so it worked out for the best. Glad I didn’t end up missing out on this rewarding fish.
Patty