PDA

View Full Version : Brian's 2018 grow out challenge...

Pages : [1] 2

jeep
09-26-2018, 01:09 PM
Hello!

I have been a member of Simply Discus since 2002, although I have not been around 10 years until I bought some new discus about one year ago. I participate in the first challenge in 2008, and I want to thank Al because this challenge can be a great learning experience even if you are not participating!

In 2009 disaster struck when a tree behind my house was struck by lightening and I guess the electrical surge fused the circuits on all of my Won heaters because two days later I found all my discus had died, including 5 breeding pairs, all my regular tanks and about 800 fry and jouvies. The temp was well over 100 degrees, even on my small tanks with 50w heaters. That was the end of my discus hobby for the next 10 years until I returned about one year ago.

At this time, my house is undergoing remodeling in almost every room, so space is at a premium and a lot of my fish stuff is in in piles or in storage. I have been searching for my 10g tank for almost a month until I finally remembered I gave it to a little kid who helped me set up my tent on a camping trip, so 2 days ago I picked up a new one. It is just as empty as everyone else's here, but hopefully it is ready for the delivery of Al's fish later today.

Sorry, I cannot provide water parameters at this time because I can't find my testing equipment. I will update this soon! I am using an air stone that is ready for a sponge, as well as a little internal filter that came with the tank. The water flow can adjusted, so I will place Al's filter media inside when they arrive. Temp is 84. I will be feeding some food I got from Al, beef heart mix and colorbits.

I am very picky about my discus and I only hope I can raise them as well as Al raised the parents, and as well as Steve grew out the grandparents!

Brian

Mr.BigBlock
09-26-2018, 02:58 PM
Good luck!

Tshethar
09-26-2018, 11:14 PM
Brian, that's a terrible story about your losses 10 years ago! So sorry you went through that. I appreciate when people share that stuff as it can help keep the smaller stuff we all go through in perspective. Glad you're back with discus and hope you have a great experience with Al and Steve's fish!

Filip
09-28-2018, 06:54 AM
Wish you the best of luck with this batch Brian.
After what happened to you with your hobby in the past you deserve an enjoyable and problem free experience in the future . If there is such thing as carma in this hooby and Ilife in general it should be at your side this time .

jeep
09-28-2018, 11:42 AM
I had just put my shoes on, grabbed my keys and was heading out to look for my mailman when he walked up to my door with my package!!

The box was in fairly good condition and still warm inside. Unfortunately, there was one DOA. I'm not sure why because the bag was in perfect condition and all the rest were fighting to escape their bags. It still had full color and even had a little feces hanging out. I have received discus in similar condition before, so I decided to put it in the tank for a little bit to see if it would come back. I don't think it will.

All the rest seem to be ok. They are huddling at the bottom but showing activity. I added 2 TBS salt and 2 TBS hydrogen peroxide and I will check back in a bit to see how they have settled in.

A very nice packing job by Al. Thanks!!!

Tshethar
09-28-2018, 11:47 AM
Good news!!! :) Good luck with them!

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Great news Brian :)
Pat

brewmaster15
09-28-2018, 02:14 PM
BUMMER on the one but I am thrilled the others made it!
Al

jeep
09-28-2018, 02:36 PM
I've been gone for a couple hours and they are out swimming and eating. It seems they handled the delay well.

jeep
09-29-2018, 01:03 PM
My advise is to NOT use 15 year old equipment, lol... Air pump and heater died. I have plenty of heaters but about 6 bad air pumps. Thanks to Petco for price matching their web prices ;)

Fish are fine!

brewmaster15
09-29-2018, 01:20 PM
My advise is to NOT use 15 year old equipment, lol... Air pump and heater died. I have plenty of heaters but about 6 bad air pumps. Thanks to Petco for price matching their web prices ;)

Fish are fine!

Lol...yep I have been there..Glad they are all okay though!

Paul Sabucchi
09-29-2018, 01:48 PM
Glad you got the fish, commiserations for the one casualty. Wishing you all the best with these fish, heaven knows you deserve it

rickztahone
09-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Great start. One DOA is not bad at all. Good luck with the little ones.

jeep
10-01-2018, 09:16 PM
Liking the beef heart!

jeep
10-03-2018, 02:20 PM
I got tired of using a 24oz cottage cheese container to dip water for water changes so I bought this fountain pump. I also use it to help circulate the water while its aging.

It's slow but that's what I wanted...

I must admit, I am concerned about these little guys. They don't come out when the light is on, ever! Only when the light is off do they leave the corner or from under the filter, and even then it seems moderate. They peck at all food I give them but are not aggressive about it. Maybe they don't like my water, but I have been keeping up with 2-3 water changes per day and will continue unless advised otherwise...

Second Hand Pat
10-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Brian, Al will laugh at this suggestion but add a wee bit of rooibos (or black) tea to the water. My guys were like that at first and the tea seemed to help with the transition to having the light on.
Pat

jeep
10-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Brian, Al will laugh at this suggestion but add a wee bit of rooibos (or black) tea to the water. My guys were like that at first and the tea seemed to help with the transition to having the light on.
Pat

Well, I may laugh a little as well, but if it works it works! Where do you find this? It is just tea you find in the grocery store?

Second Hand Pat
10-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Well, I may laugh a little as well, but if it works it works! Where do you find this? It is just tea you find in the grocery store?

I would think so Brian, I order mine from Amazon.
Pat

fljones3
10-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Don't know about the brightness of the light but I put a dimmer on mine. I run it about 70-80% brightness. The fish do better at that lumen.

rickztahone
10-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Did I read it right that you are doing 2-3 WCs daily? If so, are you feeding bh? This may be some of the cause of stress for them. I would do a larger daily wc instead add the tea, it won't hurt.

Second Hand Pat
10-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Don't know about the brightness of the light but I put a dimmer on mine. I run it about 70-80% brightness. The fish do better at that lumen.

Another way to help dim the light is to put a folded window screen under the light. The number of folds allow you to increase or decrease the light.
Pat

jeep
10-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Did I read it right that you are doing 2-3 WCs daily? If so, are you feeding bh? This may be some of the cause of stress for them. I would do a larger daily wc instead add the tea, it won't hurt.

Actually, I was at 1 x 50% then bumped to 2 x 50% with no change. I was considering going to 3 if needed. I am feeding the food Al sent with them, Colorbits and just a tiny amount of BH from time to time while I'm feeding my other fish. The BH maybe once per day but the amount is insignificant at best.

So you are thinking 1 large WC instead of 2 smaller? Seems like a good idea!

I wasn't clear earlier about the light. I've been leaving a 60w bedroom light on and turning the tank light off. It seems the indirect light is not as intimidating for them.

rickztahone
10-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Actually, I was at 1 x 50% then bumped to 2 x 50% with no change. I was considering going to 3 if needed. I am feeding the food Al sent with them, Colorbits and just a tiny amount of BH from time to time while I'm feeding my other fish. The BH maybe once per day but the amount is insignificant at best.

So you are thinking 1 large WC instead of 2 smaller? Seems like a good idea!

I wasn't clear earlier about the light. I've been leaving a 60w bedroom light on and turning the tank light off. It seems the indirect light is not as intimidating for them.

1 big wc should be fine I think. That's how I do it but I do take in to consideration that you have them in a relatively small tank. As Pat says, your discus are talking to you, are you listening? Lol. Adjust the wc's and possibly the light and play it by ear and observe

Pices
10-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Brian
I’m learning so much from you. I know you’ll get through these hurdles and just want to thank you for sharing your trials and tribulations for us wannabe baby raisers. The parents of these fry are so perfect. I like your wc pictures and am excited to see what you do with these babies.

jeep
10-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Yes, I used to speak discus years ago but I need to polish up on the language ;)

Through all this, they do still seem to be eating. Right now they are pecking at the sponge filter.. The back side of the sponge filter, lol...

jeep
10-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Brian
I’m learning so much from you. I know you’ll get through these hurdles and just want to thank you for sharing your trials and tribulations for us wannabe baby raisers. The parents of these fry are so perfect. I like your wc pictures and am excited to see what you do with these babies.

Thanks Patty. I have said many times that I used to be into this hobby to the extreme. But, I am almost embarrassed to say that I have forgotten many of the smaller details, but this challenge is about educating others and learning from our mistakes and successes. Anyone can raise medium to large discus, but fry are different. I feel like I am learning from the beginning all over again...

brewmaster15
10-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Pat

Al smirks.

brewmaster15
10-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Brian,
You can also get a piece of foam and use as a divider... Place the fish on one side.. filter on the other.. force the fish to be out and about. When you water change drain from the filter side... fill on the fish side. In a 10 gal tank you could probably find something easily to divide the tank like poly matting.

That black foam I sent you as filter material comes in various sizes on ebay for only a few bucks also.

al

jeep
10-04-2018, 05:08 PM
I may have turned the corner. I've been busy so haven't really had time to pay close attention to these discus. I moved the filter to the front of the tank and they followed, staying under it. Then I noticed they were pecking at everything, including the filter base and even the heater cord. I found some of Al's discus chow from a few months ago and ground it up and dropped it straight down on it and they attacked it! Then I noticed they stop eating about 5 minutes after the food was in the water. I think they have been eating all along ;)

Second Hand Pat
10-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Oh man, what a great feeling that is Brian :D
Pat

Filip
10-05-2018, 05:28 AM
Its great that your problem it's solved now Brian.

brewmaster15
10-05-2018, 11:03 AM
I may have turned the corner. I've been busy so haven't really had time to pay close attention to these discus. I moved the filter to the front of the tank and they followed, staying under it. Then I noticed they were pecking at everything, including the filter base and even the heater cord. I found some of Al's discus chow from a few months ago and ground it up and dropped it straight down on it and they attacked it! Then I noticed they stop eating about 5 minutes after the food was in the water. I think they have been eating all along ;)

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeep
10-06-2018, 01:53 PM
The past 2 days have seen some big changes! They are no longer hiding, and are actually greeting me when I walk in the room. Their favorite food is most definitely beef heart. They attack it pretty good!!

I would post pictures but they look about the same, except they are noticeably larger. I expect to transfer them to a 20g within the next week or two.

I'll post a video as soon as i figure out how to do it.

Second Hand Pat
10-06-2018, 03:18 PM
The past 2 days have seen some big changes! They are no longer hiding, and are actually greeting me when I walk in the room. Their favorite food is most definitely beef heart. They attack it pretty good!!

I would post pictures but they look about the same, except they are noticeably larger. I expect to transfer them to a 20g within the next week or two.

I'll post a video as soon as i figure out how to do it.

That is great news Brian :D Is your video uploaded to youtube?
Pat

jeep
10-06-2018, 03:31 PM
I don't have a youtube account, but I see most videos here have a youtube affiliation so maybe I'll create one...

Second Hand Pat
10-06-2018, 03:34 PM
I don't have a youtube account, but I see most videos here have a youtube affiliation so maybe I'll create one...

It's free Brian and super easy to upload video's from your phone using the youtube app if that is your main tool for recording videos.
Pat

Filip
10-08-2018, 04:24 AM
Great news Brian . You seem to be on the right track right now .

jeep
10-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Let's see if this works... Definitely have a bully in the group, lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA5M3jVJvJ0

Filip
10-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Let's see if this works... Definitely have a bully in the group, lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA5M3jVJvJ0

Wow what a fighter it is :)

jeep
10-08-2018, 02:49 PM
Some are showing no stress bars at all, but I think I have 7 SS and 2 Turks.

jeep
10-13-2018, 11:55 AM
No big news for now. They are just eating and growing, the largest about quarter size and smallest about a nickel.

They certainly are no longer shy about water changes. Here they are attacking beef heart during a water change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlrh11586hc

jeep
10-14-2018, 10:02 AM
Here's my hi-tech bbs hatchery ;)

The house is being remodeled so I'm using a little bit of each room for my discus, including the kitchen counter!
The air pump is next to the coffee maker and foodsaver. I put in a shutoff valve near the pump, then added a T to split off to the hatchery and a drain. The drain also has a shutoff. When I want to harvest bbs, i shut off the air and let them settle. The open the valve on the drain and drain them into a bbs net. Shut off the drain and open the air again...
It's ugly but it works!!

Second Hand Pat
10-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Is the base DIY Brian?
Pat

jeep
10-14-2018, 10:10 AM
Is the base DIY Brian?
Pat

No. I got them years ago from Brine Shrimp Direct.

https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/hatching-kit

If I want to add another hatchery, I just add more T's and shut offs and drains...

Second Hand Pat
10-14-2018, 10:20 AM
That is a nice inexpensive solution :)
Pat

Tshethar
10-14-2018, 10:22 AM
Do you take cream, sugar, or BBS? :coffee:

jeep
10-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Do you take cream, sugar, or BBS? :coffee:

;););)

jeep
10-17-2018, 03:01 PM
Beef heart junkies trying to bite off more than they can chew!

I'd guess the largest is about 1/2 dollar size and smallest about quarter size, including fins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXOk3mwabP8

danotaylor
10-17-2018, 08:42 PM
Looking great mate...growing at an accelerated rate and coming along nicely. Well done!!

Second Hand Pat
10-17-2018, 09:10 PM
They are really trying chow down on that BH mix :)
Pat

jeep
10-17-2018, 09:54 PM
They are really trying chow down on that BH mix :)
Pat
lol... That was the smallest one spazzing out and fighting...

jeep
10-20-2018, 09:46 AM
These guys are doing great! 5 are becoming very round and growth has been steady. The other 4 are also taking shape. The largest to are a turk and a SS, both nearing 2 inches. I plan to move them into a 20g possibly this weekend...

Sorry for the dirty glass. I had a water changing accident :eek:

Second Hand Pat
10-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Rounding up nice Brian :)
Pat

jeep
10-23-2018, 07:28 PM
They got a new home today! Upgraded to a 20g. As Bill said, they have little interest in BBS anymore but they are still requesting beef heart at every meal. I'm trying to mix things up, but they insist on beef heart... The two largest are a Turq and SS, but the rest are closely behind. They are all taking on great shape!

They don't seem so big anymore, lol...

jeep
10-23-2018, 07:39 PM
I also made a good score today at PetSmart. They had a clearance rack at 75% off of the original 50% off. I got a total of 5 LED fixtures for around $45. No frills, but they do have timers and white/blue bulbs. For reference, unfortunately the fixtures made by Aqueon do not expand like others and are useless. I will return them.

Second Hand Pat
10-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Looks like they moved in like little champs Brian...looking good :D
Pat

jeep
10-23-2018, 10:09 PM
Looks like they moved in like little champs Brian...looking good :D
Pat

The first ones moved were begging for food before I finished moving the last of them. They're not quite as delicate as I feared, lol...

danotaylor
10-23-2018, 11:15 PM
looking awesome Brian...nice work!

Tshethar
10-24-2018, 11:14 AM
Very nice! Looking good! :thumbsup:

jeep
10-26-2018, 01:32 PM
The growth is crazy. They've only been in the 20g for 3 days and I'm thinking of moving them into a 40g soon...

Paul Sabucchi
10-26-2018, 02:00 PM
You are a victim of your own success! They are a real pleasure to look at, well done so far

jeep
10-31-2018, 09:13 AM
Thank everyone! I don't have any real updates. They are all doing great, still eating like pigs and steadily growing. I've been trying to introduce additional foods with limited success. They will eat Colorbits, Discus Chow and freeze dried black worms with reluctance, but they still insist on beef heart... I plan to move them into a 40g tank this weekend...

jeep
10-31-2018, 11:57 AM
Playing in the water change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp26GDmnqSI

Mando
11-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Playing in the water change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp26GDmnqSI
Some happy fish! Taking the stream for a ride.

danotaylor
11-01-2018, 03:05 PM
Cool beans Jeep. Got some nice shape and size comin on there for sure. Keep at it champ!

jeep
11-05-2018, 12:07 AM
Well, I'm not sure if there is much growth since last weeks update, but they are all still eating like pigs and happy.

I've tried introducing additional foods like FD brine shrimp, FD black worms and Colorbits, and they accept reluctantly, but they still insist on beef heart. While my BH mix is very nutritious, I feel they need a more varied diet. I really want to get them onto other foods, so I have BH flakes arriving soon.

I still am impressed with the health and genetics!!! Photo may be deceiving, but the largest is about 2.5".

modealings
11-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Looking good Jeep. Im in the same boat - they all like the BH mix but dont seem to want anything else. Wont even go for the remaining discus pellets Al sent... Let us know how the BH flakes work out.

jeep
11-09-2018, 12:07 PM
I gave them another new home yesterday and they don't look so big anymore :D I moved them from the 20g to a 40g and they adapted almost instantly.

While they still prefer my beef heart mix, they are also eating beef heart flakes and to a lessor degree, FD brine shrimp (just as a digestive aid from time to time).

I'm testing a new beef heart recipe that I adapted from someone else and it has a very high content of healthy greens and fruits along with the regular bh and shrimp. This stuff smells great and could probably be served in a human restaurant :juggle::juggle: While it's a huge hit with all my fish, it does tend to melt a little more than my old recipe. I made enough to last a year, so when I make it again I will probably double the shrimp content and/or add some gelatin.

Colors are coming through and while there is one or two slightly smaller, they all have great shape.

danotaylor
11-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Lookin the goods Jeep!! Very nice looking group of growouts you have there mate.

sanjay21
11-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Looking great Brian :)

I ran into this grow out thread of yours the other day, fish are looking amazing - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?66232-Final-update

Maddie
11-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Wow...you are doing a great job with these babies!

jeep
11-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone!!!

Tad
11-12-2018, 04:41 PM
:mods: ;)

jeep
11-12-2018, 06:00 PM
TAD!!! How are you???

Tad
11-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Brian,
Glad to see You jumped back in to the fray with both feet again. Your grow outs are doing excellent! All Is well here in Cali,
Tad

jeep
11-14-2018, 09:21 PM
5 days in new home. I don't have room to store water in larger quantities, so I've cut back to 2 x 40% per day from tap. Even with the higher winter co2 content, they are taking it like champs and never skip a meal!!

The lower left one seems to be unique in its color. Less brown and more blue and never shows bars. I like it!!

Mando
11-14-2018, 09:54 PM
5 days in new home. I don't have room to store water in larger quantities, so I've cut back to 2 x 40% per day from tap. Even with the higher winter co2 content, they are taking it like champs and never skip a meal!!

The lower left one seems to be unique in its color. Less brown and more blue and never shows bars. I like it!!

He is definitely unique! I like him. I also like the dark bar turq top-left of the sponge filter. Looks like your ss outnumber.

jeep
11-14-2018, 10:43 PM
He is definitely unique! I like him. I also like the dark bar turq top-left of the sponge filter. Looks like your ss outnumber.

You are correct. There are 7 SS and 2 Turks...

jeep
11-15-2018, 08:48 PM
It's amazing how fast they grow in just 6 weeks...

jeep
11-18-2018, 01:32 PM
A few shots from today...

Almost a metallic turquoise SS. Not the largest, but probably my favorite...

This one is getting a little beaky.. a quality I really dislike in a discus...

Since I've been forced to reduce the size of water changes, I've been using a HOT Magnum to polish the water. I was asked about this filter so I figured I'd post a video of it in action. If you look closely, you will see the debris that had accumulated overnight. The filter is running before feeding. In about 15 minutes, most of the junk in the water has been sucked up by the filter, and what's left over has been collected in one easy to clean pile. They seem to like it. They swim into the discharge like a salmon swimming upstream, lol...

The HOT Magnum has been discontinued but there are still parts available. If anyone ever see's one at a garage sale or swap, I highly recommend buying it... It will also dissipate the Co2 and age water many times faster than simple aeration alone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJcrrvmIf-Y

Second Hand Pat
11-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Loving those red eyes Brian :)
Pat

Adam S
11-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Looking good, Brian. Do you run the hot mag full time, or just before feeding? How often do you have to swap the micron cartridge?

brewmaster15
11-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Everyone is looking Great Brian! Keep it up!

al

brewmaster15
11-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Brian,
Glad to see You jumped back in to the fray with both feet again. Your grow outs are doing excellent! All Is well here in Cali,
Tad

Holy Moly Bat Man! Its Tad! So now we know what it takes to get him off the golf course and on Simply Again.:evilgrin: Good to see you Friend.

al

jeep
11-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Looking good, Brian. Do you run the hot mag full time, or just before feeding? How often do you have to swap the micron cartridge?

I run it until the water is clear (except during feeding time), then move it to another tank and so on until the flow is restricted and the micron cartridge is blocked. I have 2 micron cartridges. I rinse and then drop the dirty one into a container with 1:4 bleach for 24 hours then it's ready to use again and you can fully rinse and swap with the dirty one. When I was traveling, I used an auto feeder with granules and left the HOT on the entire time I was away. I feel this really helped with the successful growth of an over crowded discus tank that went 4 straight days without changing the water. The shape and size of these discus was unaffected by the lack of water changes, although there are some minor imperfections in the anal fins, which I believe is due to the lack of water changes...

I suck with a camera, but here's a little closer look at the magnum in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN2bOUDhsPs

jeep
11-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Holy Moly Bat Man! Its Tad! So now we know what it takes to get him off the golf course and on Simply Again.:evilgrin: Good to see you Friend.

al

I thought about getting him interested in this grow-out challenge but I figured he may swing at me with his golf club :D

jeep
11-18-2018, 09:11 PM
I was chopping some beef heart for their dinner and wanted to change things up a bit and give them a little human flesh. I decided against it at the last possible second :evilgrin:

brewmaster15
11-18-2018, 09:47 PM
I was chopping some beef heart for their dinner and wanted to change things up a bit and give them a little human flesh. I decided against it at the last possible second :evilgrin:

Been there..done that with the cutting. Turns out Discus prefer ungulates over homosapiens.:)

sanjay21
11-19-2018, 12:56 AM
Nice round and plump fish there Brian. They are looking great !

Filip
11-21-2018, 02:58 AM
They look nice and round Brian .
Isn't this magnum filter too much of a flow for that tank ?
On the video it looks like it's pushing some serious water volume .

jeep
11-21-2018, 05:36 AM
They look nice and round Brian .
Isn't this magnum filter too much of a flow for that tank ?
On the video it looks like it's pushing some serious water volume .

You would think it is too much because discus keepers always talk about calm water, but it doesn't bother them at all. They actually seem to enjoy it. It's not on 24/7, just periodically throughout the day.

Filip
11-21-2018, 10:01 AM
You would think it is too much because discus keepers always talk about calm water, but it doesn't bother them at all. They actually seem to enjoy it. It's not on 24/7, just periodically throughout the day.

That kind of makes me question Brian . Letting dirty filter , without any flow leads to anaerobic bacteria buildup which later you release it back in to the tank .
It kind of makes me question about the safety of using filters sparsely.

jeep
11-21-2018, 11:18 AM
That kind of makes me question Brian . Letting dirty filter , without any flow leads to anaerobic bacteria buildup which later you release it back in to the tank .
It kind of makes me question about the safety of using filters sparsely.

I rotate the filter between another tank so it really doesn't sit long enough for the collected matter to deteriorate and become toxic. And, i know the other tank I use it on has no chance of harming these little ones because because I took a chance early on and used one of their sponge filters a the main sponge for these. I've used the HOT for years when I used to breed discus in the past and I think it does a better job at removing debris between water changes than water changes alone, but I also don't have room to store large amounts of water for aging.

As an example, a couple of weeks ago I was cleaning the outside glass with some toilet paper. I got distracted and dropped the toilet paper into the tank. Paper fibers filled the tank immediately so I did a 90% water change (smaller tank at the time) and the tank was still filled with fibers. 2 more 90% changes and the fibers were still visible. I hooked up the HOT and the fibers were gone in less than 3 minutes.

Filip
11-21-2018, 06:34 PM
That makes sense now Brian. Thanks for clarifying that .
I'm sure it works like charm as a mechanical filter with that flow and fine mesh Chambers .

jeep
11-26-2018, 10:10 PM
It's been a rough week for me. Many of the fish in several tanks have been turning dark and a few stopped eating. I figured the change in seasons has affected my water, but even reduced (but more frequent) water changes didn't help. On Sunday, I lost an Eruption, another is sick and I also lost one of the challenge discus. Same symptoms and same outcome, and absolutely zero chance of cross contamination...

I rearranged some of my remodeling space and cleaned up my storage barrels that have been sitting in my back yard for 10 years :o and set them up for more volume of aging water.

I've been tracing back to try to figure what was in common, and looking back it may have come to one change I made. I ran out of Prime! I had recently purchased a new heater, and it included a coupon for Top Fin water conditioner, so I decided to give it a try. I don't know if this was the issue, but the timing was close. I had noticed that the Top Fin brand was is bit slimy and the eye dropper I use to measure it was sticking to the paper it was sitting on while not in use. Tonight, while I was cleaning the tank,I saw large amounts of slime that had built up on all the tank walls and bottom. It was coming off in large chunks. I'm wondering if this is the residue from the Top Fin conditioner???

Anyway, I've only refilled the tank 1/2 way to make sure the new storage system is safe, and so far they seem just fine. I hope this is the answer to my problems of the last week or so...

The other 8 never seemed to be affected and are doing great!!

Second Hand Pat
11-26-2018, 10:56 PM
Sorry for the losses Brian but hope you are on top of this now. The fish look great and are getting big. :D
Pat

jeep
11-26-2018, 11:35 PM
I hope so too. It's hard to believe that a chloramines remover could actually do harm. But then again, I'm not sure if it was the issue. It's just a big coincidence in timing...

jeep
11-28-2018, 12:40 PM
Well, first two water changes in using Prime, and everything seems back to normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbPs_-6L2lc

modealings
11-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Glad theyre back - looking to be really good size!

Second Hand Pat
11-28-2018, 05:13 PM
They look great Brian :D, sure are getting big :D
Pat

Pices
11-28-2018, 05:52 PM
Sorry you lost your eruption and challenge discus. Did the other one bounce back?
Glad you were able to change things up before you suffered more losses. Your challenge fish are bigger every week!
I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the Top Fin. I don’t know anything about the company, but it seems unlikely that a recall would be issued for any fish product. At least I’ve never heard of any and changes in the city water doesn’t normally produce slime that I’m aware of.
Patty

jeep
11-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Sorry you lost your eruption and challenge discus. Did the other one bounce back?
Glad you were able to change things up before you suffered more losses. Your challenge fish are bigger every week!
I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the Top Fin. I don’t know anything about the company, but it seems unlikely that a recall would be issued for any fish product. At least I’ve never heard of any and changes in the city water doesn’t normally produce slime that I’m aware of.
Patty

The Eruption is still sick but actually looking a little better, but I think it had issues in the first place that were brought out by whatever problem I was having. I have some meds arriving today and hopefully they will help. All the other discus are doing great!

I'm not sure if it was the Top Fin, but the timing sure was curious...

dagray
11-29-2018, 03:21 PM
I am not a fan of Top Fin anything. Their filters and powerheads are cheaply made. The HOB filters and power heads make a whole bunch of impeller noise due to poor fitment unlike my AquaClear filters and powerheads that are very quiet.

I use power heads to power a reverse flow under-gravel filtration in a 20 gallon tank. The power head pulls water through sponge filters like you all use here and takes it through a 90 degree elbow into the stand pipe. as the water passes the venturi air is pulled into the system and the air and water are released under the filter plates, and then finally the water and small debris that made it through the foam filters returns to the main tank through the gravel.

My 75 gallon tank is filtered with a Fluval 406 Canister and an AC 110 HOB filter.

Your fish are looking great, and hope you get your problem/s sorted out.

Dave

jeep
12-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Well, everything seems back to normal now. It's hard to think that the Top Fin dechlor was the culprit, but I'm at a loss as to what else it could have been... All tanks are doing great, no more slime on the tank walls and all are eating good!

Since the issue, I still don't quite trust my tap water supply, so I've also increased the water change volumes by adding my old 55g storage barrels. There's a submersible pump in one of the barrels that circulates the water constantly until ready for use, and an air stone in the other. I can now change 110g of water at a time. The utility room has suffered serious water damage in the past, and I am getting ready to pull the floors and knock out a wall so I can expand the kitchen/utility room into one large kitchen/dining room/fishroom, so I'll have to move the barrels around as needed.

Here's an example of my limited photography skills from this morning. Also, I've finally convinced them to eat foods other than beef heart mix, so when I leave on vacation in a few weeks I can use an auto feeder while I'm away...

Second Hand Pat
12-03-2018, 01:26 PM
Hope everything stays normal Brian. My guys will eat dry foods but reluctantly, they go nuts for Al FDBWs. What else are you feeding beside BH flake?
Pat

jeep
12-03-2018, 01:55 PM
Hope everything stays normal Brian. My guys will eat dry foods but reluctantly, they go nuts for Al FDBWs. What else are you feeding beside BH flake?
Pat

Right now it's frozen BH, BH flakes and Colorbits. I know many people don't care for the bits but they list a pretty high protein content and I've always used them with great success. My Passions were basically raised on them while I was traveling and used an auto feeder and they drew out healthy and large. I also need to get some FDBW's...

jeep
12-07-2018, 11:11 PM
Group shot during water change...

Nice shape but I wish his bars were straight...

modealings
12-08-2018, 07:01 AM
Looking great Brian. All very consistent in size it seems. I wonder if the lines will straighten up as they grow (also first time ive noticed and/or heard of this problem).

jeep
12-08-2018, 12:41 PM
Buyer beware!!! I got these cheap little digital thermometers on ebay after seeing the rave reviews. 3 for $8, lol. Don't be tempted!!!

jeep
12-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Looking great Brian. All very consistent in size it seems. I wonder if the lines will straighten up as they grow (also first time ive noticed and/or heard of this problem).

Thanks Eric! Actually, uneven or broken bars in a 14 bar SS has always been pretty common. In really bad cases, I use to cull them when I was breeding LSS's. Hopefully, as they grow, the bars will become less pronounced. Here's one of my turqs. It has good shape and size but a broken bar on only one side. I call him X-man, lol...

sanjay21
12-09-2018, 05:04 PM
They are looking awesome Brian :) All of them are looking consistent in size. Great job !

Phil4Discus
12-10-2018, 01:19 AM
You've been doing a great job, Jeep! I've been steadily reading everyone's threads to learn from the best! :-) Thanks for sharing so much info!

Also, those thermometers can be hit or miss, but I've had success with them for the most part. I bought a 10 pack and only 1 was really off. Others may be a +/- 0.5-1.0 off. They will go bonkers if they get a little wet though, as that happened to me during a water change. haha

Looking forward to witnessing your group grow more and more! Good luck!

Mando
12-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Buyer beware!!! I got these cheap little digital thermometers on ebay after seeing the rave reviews. 3 for $8, lol. Don't be tempted!!!

I bought the same one and thought one of my heaters had broken. From one day to the other it went from reading 84 to 76. I bought a new heater and nothing changed so I ruled out the heater and figured the cheap amazon thermometer was the culprit.

Second Hand Pat
12-10-2018, 11:19 AM
The fish are looking great Brian. The bars are not as broken as you might think in the SS. If you look closely there is a crease along the lateral line going back to the tail. I suspect the line will fill in as the fish matures and the bars will appear straight.
Pat

jeep
12-10-2018, 12:47 PM
The fish are looking great Brian. The bars are not as broken as you might think in the SS. If you look closely there is a crease along the lateral line going back to the tail. I suspect the line will fill in as the fish matures and the bars will appear straight.
Pat

I hope so!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

jeep
12-18-2018, 12:45 PM
We're kind of on cruise control right now, but when you see them every day, it's hard to see daily growth. I was forced to skip water changes for 3 days but they seem to have suffered no negative effects...

I'm still feeding BH quite often, but they're now fully accepting other foods as well. Here they are eating BH flakes for breakfast...

Mr.BigBlock
12-18-2018, 02:18 PM
They're coming along nicely!

Joie

danotaylor
12-18-2018, 03:56 PM
Nice one Brian. It might be my imagination but the bars on the SS seem to have slid back into place a little since your last pic, tho it could be the angle as well. Keep at it mate, goin great guns ;)

jeep
12-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys!!! Danny, I think it's the angle. I don't know if it's even possible, but I really hope they can straighten out!

jeep
12-25-2018, 01:47 PM
I'm getting ready to leave town and have no one to help with water changes and feedings, so I got some auto feeders and moved them into a larger tank. Hopefully they can last 6 days without a water change...
I measured them all as I moved them but I kinda failed, lol. I injured my shoulder and had a hard time doing this all with the use of only one hand and I guess I didn't keep the fish parallel to the tape so they all look 3 inches. I can't re-take the photos at this time so I will update with more accurate pics when I return and hopefully have the use of both hands. In the mean time, here is my feeble attempt...

This is the smallest and I think the only straight photo...

Here's one of the largest but the tape disagrees...

sanjay21
12-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Good job Brian ! consistent growth :)

jeep
01-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Sorry for the delay. I didn't want to risk dropping my fish using one hand, but it's a little better so here's a little better photo.

Pat sent me an unexpected big "sample" of Al's FDBW's and they have taken to them nicely. Now, an even more varied diet :thumbsup:

Thank you Pat!!!

brewmaster15
01-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Group shot during water change...

Nice shape but I wish his bars were straight...

Just catching up here, Brian, No worries on the bars...as an adult they won't even show them,:)

al

Second Hand Pat
01-05-2019, 11:04 PM
They look great Brian and you are more then welcome on the FDBWs. Thanks for being willing on giving them a go. :D
Pat

jeep
01-11-2019, 01:34 PM
No real news to report other than that they are loving Pat and Al's worms!! :lickin::lickin::lickin:

Second Hand Pat
01-11-2019, 02:03 PM
No real news to report other than that they are loving Pat and Al's worms!! :lickin::lickin::lickin:

Looks like they figured it out Brian :D
Pat

jeep
01-14-2019, 10:14 PM
Water change/dinner time!

Filip
01-15-2019, 09:23 AM
Great shape and colours on that Turq Brian .
I love that metallic shine on SS too . You are certainly doing a good job with them .

SNap0283
01-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Wow. They look great, amazing how early that Turk got fully colored up.

Mando
01-15-2019, 09:24 AM
they are so beautiful! great job so far.

jeep
01-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Thanks everyone!

Wow. They look great, amazing how early that Turk got fully colored up.

I guess the color has been there for awhile. I just got some photography tips from our expert Pat, lol...

Second Hand Pat
01-15-2019, 10:35 AM
Thanks everyone!

I guess the color has been there for awhile. I just got some photography tips from our expert Pat, lol...

Happy to help Brian. The fish look really good :D
Pat

danotaylor
01-15-2019, 07:37 PM
Looking good mate :thumbsup:

jeep
01-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Liking the FDBW's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrctG5Hxvo0

Second Hand Pat
01-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Love happy hungry fish :D Didn't take good for them to take to the FDBW cubes Brian!!
Pat

jeep
01-17-2019, 05:25 PM
They even eat the floaters now!!!

Second Hand Pat
01-17-2019, 05:39 PM
They even eat the floaters now!!!

:thumbsup:

jeep
01-31-2019, 11:19 AM
They all seem to be doing good after the mystery loss a few weeks ago. I'm still feeding FDBW, BH flakes, Colorbits and BH mix

danotaylor
01-31-2019, 11:28 AM
Lookin ripper mate!!

XIHOHORORORO
02-01-2019, 09:46 PM
do u have biological filtration? cuz if u dont change water for 3 days... the ammonia level and nitrate level will increase a lot right?

Pices
02-01-2019, 10:20 PM
Wow I just looked at the 1st pics! Incredible what you’ve done with these.
Patty

Filip
02-02-2019, 09:08 AM
Very nice colouring Brian .They are looking good .

jeep
02-02-2019, 10:51 AM
do u have biological filtration? cuz if u dont change water for 3 days... the ammonia level and nitrate level will increase a lot right?

Yes. I have 3 sponge filters in this tank, so biological filtration is abundant. While I was gone for the three days, I used an auto feeder set very low...

jeep
02-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Thanks Patty and Filip!!! :D

jeep
02-03-2019, 12:29 PM
I like the vertical stripes in the upper body of this Turq...

Combo
02-08-2019, 05:55 PM
I like the vertical stripes in the upper body of this Turq...

Yea if you look at it has USC cross top of it's body. COOL

jeep
02-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Yea if you look at it has USC cross top of it's body. COOL

I hadn't noticed that. Good catch!

Here is a Saturday morning update. Their tank has sprung a leak so I'm moving them today. I will attempt repairs but I've never done this before...

danotaylor
02-09-2019, 01:57 PM
They look amazing Jeep!

jeep
02-09-2019, 02:50 PM
Thanks Danny!!

Phil4Discus
02-15-2019, 11:07 PM
Great job, Jeep!

jeep
02-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Thanks Phil!!

jeep
02-17-2019, 11:26 AM
This past week has been stressful, both for me and the contest discus. First, their tank sprung a leak. It's the fist time I've ever had a tank go bad, but it is 15 years old :confused: I have hardwood floors, so it's not good and I'm not sure I trust myself to reseal it so thought I may pitch it and get another. Anyway, I had only 3 adult Curiperas in another tank, so I relocated them into a temporary but smaller 40g, sanitized their tank and moved the contest fish into their tank.

Yesterday, I walked into their new room and the lights on their new tank were flashing like strobe lights and they were freaking out, so I looked up replacement bulbs at Petsmart and found the 18" Colormax fluorescent bulbs were only $4 so I bought them all! Unfortunately, my house is not large so I've bult all my racks into a spare bedroom and use only 55g and smaller, but Petsmart also had a 55g tank with LED lights, filter and heater for only $100, so at the end of the day, things worked out pretty nicely and fairly inexpensive. And, my hardwoods were not damaged...

Al the fish came through happy and hungry :thumbsup:

sanjay21
02-17-2019, 11:49 AM
Wow Brian !!
They look amazing !! great job :)

danotaylor
02-17-2019, 12:31 PM
+1 mate, stellar job. Nice plump and round!!

RogueDiscus
02-17-2019, 12:42 PM
The new lighting makes them look redder than most of the other entrants'.

jeep
02-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Thanks all!! One thing I've noticed is that although it has great shape and size, this guy has a slightly flared gill plate. I think it's genetic because I've seen it on other contestants fish as well. It will make a nice addition to a display tank, but not be allowed to breed in the future...

brewmaster15
02-17-2019, 02:34 PM
Hi Brian,
Thats not genetic. That curved gill plate is from an imbalance in the diet. It commonly happens when the ratio of protein to minerals in the diet is not optimal at a point where the fish is in a growth spurt. It happens at a young age and doesnt become really noticeable until the fish has grown abit.
Its common when fry are pushed to grow under certain conditions. Ive had it happen here in the past.
That trait you see is just a physical issue from growth.. definitely not genetic.

hth,
Al

Pices
02-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Wow that new light really makes their striations pop and the shape is phenomenal. I have to admit I wouldn’t have noticed the gill plate if you hadn’t pointed it out with the light hitting it just right. Now I’ll be ambling over to inspect the gill plates on my guys...
Patty

jeep
02-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Hi Brian,
Thats not genetic. That curved gill plate is from an imbalance in the diet. It commonly happens when the ratio of protein to minerals in the diet is not optimal at a point where the fish is in a growth spurt. It happens at a young age and doesnt become really noticeable until the fish has grown abit.
Its common when fry are pushed to grow under certain conditions. Ive had it happen here in the past.
That trait you see is just a physical issue from growth.. definitely not genetic.

hth,
Al

That's good to know. I will admit I was pushing them early on, as was everyone else. I looked at mine and compared them to others and assumed.

That's what's fantastic about this competition. No matter what we've done in the past, there's always room to learn!!!

modealings
02-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Hi Brian,

hth,
Al

Very interesting Al. This has happened now twice to grow outs I have had from a small size. My last group got to be fairly big but they almost all had gill issues. I do mix a vitamin in w the BH mix but it just might not be enough. That or I’m missing something from my water? I’m thinking on my next grow out I’ll try to skip the BH mix and see if I can get a slower, yet more uniform result.

brewmaster15
02-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Eric, have a look here..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?134567-Breeders-2-0-Snakeskins-and-Turqs

"brothers and sisters"of your contest fish.. just a latter spawn. Look at their gill plates for reference.
al

jeep
02-24-2019, 10:44 AM
Sunday breakfast time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yuHkB8J-g

danotaylor
02-24-2019, 10:47 AM
They look stunning Brian, great job mate. Ravenous boogers, lol

jeep
02-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Thanks Danny! They are always aggressive eaters but Al's FDBW's raise the level of enthusiasm to a different level :bounce:

XIHOHORORORO
02-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Why is not possible to breed with this defect?

XIHOHORORORO
02-24-2019, 02:58 PM
Hi Brian,

hth,
Al

Is it possible to fix that curved gill plate through time? i got a bunch of small discus and got the same problem... I have read one of the reasons could be a push on grow out, like when u feed them the same BH mix 10 times per day...., so there are some vitamins and something missing, causing that problem. How can we solve that problem?

XIHOHORORORO
02-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Very interesting Al. This has happened now twice to grow outs I have had from a small size. My last group got to be fairly big but they almost all had gill issues. I do mix a vitamin in w the BH mix but it just might not be enough. That or I’m missing something from my water? I’m thinking on my next grow out I’ll try to skip the BH mix and see if I can get a slower, yet more uniform result.

Couldnt u fix the gill issue when they became adult? or are they still young?

jeep
02-24-2019, 11:10 PM

With Al's insight, I find no reason to stop them from reproducing...

XIHOHORORORO
02-26-2019, 01:31 PM
With Al's insight, I find no reason to stop them from reproducing...

Brian, and is it possible to fix the issue , i got some small discus ,like 4 months old, and their gills are really inclinateda and curved.... i dont know how to do .

brewmaster15
02-27-2019, 06:54 AM

You can certainly breed fish with physical defects that are not genetic based like these traits. They arent something that passed on it. Its related to their diet and environment.

The problem is its not always easy to tell if A fish has a defect that environmental or genetic so its best to err on the side of caution and not breed them unless you know for sure or are the curious type looking to learn.

Its also good to keep in mind that the best way to minimize potentially bad traits is to outcross to unrelated fish. Sibling to sibling or sibling to parent crosses are great for setting traits whether its a good trait or bad trait.

hth,
Al

brewmaster15
02-27-2019, 06:58 AM
Is it possible to fix that curved gill plate through time? i got a bunch of small discus and got the same problem... I have read one of the reasons could be a push on grow out, like when u feed them the same BH mix 10 times per day...., so there are some vitamins and something missing, causing that problem. How can we solve that problem?

Unfortunately its not something you can correct. Its a skeletal defect at the point you see curved gill plates.You can only prevent it from getting worse by correcting the problems that caused it.

Al

jeep
02-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Thanks for replying Al. I missed the question and you are always precise and descriptive :)

I'll add that it has been rare for me, if ever, to definitively say that a gill plate issue has been genetic. Maybe I jumped the gun a little in assuming this one was genetic because it only appears on one of my fish, and possibly 1 or 2 other contestants fish. Early feedings and water quality are the key to proper development...

jeep
03-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Saturday morning update.

I've finally started remodeling the fish room so they will be able to see that other discus exist soon :) In the meantime, here are a few shots...

Second Hand Pat
03-05-2019, 11:40 AM
These guys look great Brian, some nice red hues there. Mine are mostly blue.
Pat

Pices
03-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Wowie Mowie! Looking good Brian!
Patty

jeep
03-05-2019, 06:27 PM
These guys look great Brian, some nice red hues there. Mine are mostly blue.
Pat

All I did was follow your instructions, hahaha... The bulbs burnt out and I replaced with new ones and moved them to the front.

I'm sure ours all look the same in real life :D

danotaylor
03-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Wow!!!!!!! Now that's a dandy :D

jeep
03-11-2019, 06:17 PM
3-11 Update...

Nothing new to report. Still growing and eating like pigs :D

danotaylor
03-11-2019, 09:26 PM
What strain of turk's are from Al's SS pair Brian?

RogueDiscus
03-11-2019, 10:01 PM
The original parents of Al's ss pair were a blue HB snakeskin male and a blue ss female, both from Kenny/Forrest, purchased possibly a couple years apart. The male did not have a pronounced high body, just nice and round and large. They produced ss and turks, so I would call them blue turks. I think there's something about Brian's lighting that is bringing out the red. Or maybe what he's feeding :) I have a turk from the original parents that looks a lot like Patty's avatar, above.

danotaylor
03-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Thank you Steve!! Exactly the info/answer I was looking for : thumbsup:

jeep
03-12-2019, 06:03 PM
The original parents of Al's ss pair were a blue HB snakeskin male and a blue ss female, both from Kenny/Forrest, purchased possibly a couple years apart. The male did not have a pronounced high body, just nice and round and large. They produced ss and turks, so I would call them blue turks. I think there's something about Brian's lighting that is bringing out the red. Or maybe what he's feeding :) I have a turk from the original parents that looks a lot like Patty's avatar, above.

I think it's something in the translation from the tank to the camera. While they are developing very nice colors, and the reds are true, the blues aren't showing as much as in the tank.

And thank for answering Danny's question. I didn't know the details :)

RogueDiscus
03-12-2019, 06:04 PM
I happen to be the proud Grandparent breeder :)

danotaylor
03-13-2019, 01:18 AM
I happen to be the proud Grandparent breeder :)

HAha, cool grandiscus pappy!

jeep
03-19-2019, 12:28 AM
Weekly update! Well, not much updating to do. No issues this week. Just eating and growing :D

jeep
03-19-2019, 10:05 PM
Feeding frenzy after water change ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRtwNECDgw4

jawfish
03-20-2019, 05:50 PM
Wow looking great Brian.
Good job on growing them !!
A real nice group...

jeep
03-21-2019, 09:56 AM
Thanks Fred!!:)

Mando
03-21-2019, 10:19 AM
Feeding frenzy after water change ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRtwNECDgw4

what is it that you're feeding here? great job so far!

jeep
03-21-2019, 12:04 PM
That's an overly complicated BH mix that they destroy!

danotaylor
03-21-2019, 12:12 PM
such a beautiful consistent group mate...very nice...what are you plans with them once the challenge is done?

jeep
03-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Thanks Danny! I'm not really sure, but I would like to do some crossing with the best, maybe pick up another Turq or 2 and eventually get a large planted tank for display...

danotaylor
03-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Nice one, sounds like a plan. When I get back from Australia I think I'm gonna add sand and some plants to my 125gal now that my discus are hitting the 6" mark. I'm watchin you mate ;)

Pices
03-21-2019, 06:59 PM
What a big beautiful bunch of fish. The patterns and colors are excellent. I know it’s a ton of work, but must feel really good to get them to this point. Lucky fish landing in your tank.
Patty

Filip
03-22-2019, 05:50 AM
Very round and nice looking discus Brian .One of them looks almost like a tiger turq with it's vertical patterns .
It's amazing how different they look from their sibilings that Pat grows .Different light in your tanks and different cameras make them look like a completely different strains with yours being red and Pat's being blue discus .Both colours appearances look great though , each in their own way .

Mando
03-22-2019, 08:33 AM
That's an overly complicated BH mix that they destroy!

I can tell! that's why I was so intrigued. Would you say they are at 5" already?

jeep
03-22-2019, 09:33 AM
Not quite, I'd day more like 4". I plan to update with an official measurement this weekend :)

jeep
03-25-2019, 09:17 PM
Due to the flooding in my area, the municipal water supply is off the charts these days, so I've decided to cut water changes back to 25% per day for awhile. The challenge fish seem just fine so far, but the Curipera's don't seem to be enjoying the WC's. I can already see the water clarity is suffering so I'm adding some mechanical filtration to remove the particles :o

I'll post a measurement within a few days...

danotaylor
03-26-2019, 03:02 AM
Brian when the Toledo water crisis hit a few years ago I put 5# of fresh activated charcoal into a prefilter and recirculated the municipal water though it for 24 hours to remove any dissolved nasties prior to water changes...
Stunning SS BTW...

jeep
03-26-2019, 08:29 AM
Brian when the Toledo water crisis hit a few years ago I put 5# of fresh activated charcoal into a prefilter and recirculated the municipal water though it for 24 hours to remove any dissolved nasties prior to water changes...
Stunning SS BTW...

That's a great idea. I may be able to do something similar with my HOT Magnum. Thanks!!

danotaylor
03-26-2019, 08:35 AM
My pleasure mate ����

jeep
03-27-2019, 09:56 PM
6 month update. They don't care for this at all :argue: but they went right back to eating immediately so they must get over it quickly :D

I still can't seem to line them up right. The largest is right at 4 1/2'... There's one that's much smaller at about 3 3/4". It's very healthy and always the first to eat. I don't know why it's so much smaller than the rest :confused:

Pices
03-28-2019, 10:07 AM
OMG! You and Pat are both about the same size here. This is getting exciting. You both have done a phenomenal job on these grow outs. When does this contest wrap up?
Patty

jeep
03-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Thanks Patty! I believe the contest runs from 8-12 months from the beginning. I would't mind seeing it go a full year...

Maddie
03-28-2019, 10:24 AM
These look great! Great Job!

Filip
03-28-2019, 11:33 AM
Nice size Brian .So far they seem to be growing "by the book'" .

jeep
03-28-2019, 11:49 AM
Thaks Maddie!!

I agree Filip. It's been a long time since I've grown out such small discus and it seems 4-4.5 inches is about right...

jeep
04-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Here's a shot of Mr. Small. As you can see, it's got good shape and coloring, and it's always the first one to the food and very active. I haven't measured it, but I's say it's about 3.5" - 3.75" :confused:

All others are doing great!!!

danotaylor
04-02-2019, 12:35 PM
I'm no discus expert mate, but looking at this guy proportionately he looks amazing...maybe a slightly slower grower, but he could still reach 6.5"+, just not as quickly...the genetics are there for sure, and they have been well cared for and fed right...IMIO (in my inexperienced opinion) I reckon they're ALL doin great ;)

jeep
04-02-2019, 06:04 PM
I hope you're right about growing because it probably has the best overall shape of them all!!

jeep
04-05-2019, 11:30 AM
Just a happy Friday update :cool:

The local water supply seems to be settling down so we're back to 50% daily water changes...

Filip
04-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Nice one Brian . Very nice colours and high body shape on this one .

jeep
04-06-2019, 12:37 AM
I like the bulging belly as well. Full of Al's FDBW's :D

danotaylor
04-06-2019, 02:45 AM
Nice one mate...it is fun watching them learn to tear FDBW's from the block stuck on the glass

jeep
04-09-2019, 09:43 AM
There's not much to report, although they do seem skittish these days. Water quality has been fluctuating due to Mid-West flooding, but they are still eating good when I'm not watching. Food is usually gone within 3 minutes...

jeep
04-13-2019, 08:10 PM
Like I said, they've been a little skittish lately, but it seems to have settled down a bit. Or so I thought... It looks like this guy may have nailed the wall :confused:

It seems fine... eating and swimming fine...

Filip
04-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Oh my , it looks like a nerve damage and that is irreversible , isn't it ? Does it have this on both sides ?
Its a real shame for a discus in such a great shape :( .

jeep
04-14-2019, 01:59 AM
It's just one side. So far it shows no ill effects. Let's just hope it bruising. I hate to see such a nice fish scarred for life :crazy:

jeep
04-14-2019, 09:12 AM
Much to my surprise, the bruising is nearly gone!!!

danotaylor
04-14-2019, 09:33 AM
That's weird mate, glad to hear it is clearing up.

Filip
04-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Great news Brian .

jeep
04-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Thanks! Poor guy had me worried. It's my largest SS...

jeep
04-15-2019, 06:57 PM
Well, I'm not sure if this qualifies as an official update, but to my disgust, when I got home this evening, I discovered a colony of ants had taken up residence in the tank. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I mean there were thousands + of them!! There were even dime size clusters of them floating in the tank, and the HOT Magnum was clogged with dead ants. I can't even see a trail going outside, so I think it was 100% in the tank and possibly feeding on left over spilled food particles. The worst part is this tank is in my bedroom. It took me an hour to clean them all off, and there are a few stragglers that keep showing up, but I'll be checking quite often!

danotaylor
04-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Crazy mate, never seen that before...bummer...any I'll effects to the fish? I know ants follow a pheromone trail to & fro...

jeep
04-16-2019, 12:26 AM
I did a 90% WC and haven't seen any ill effects. Actually, more relaxed than they have been for quite some time considering I'm all over the tank every 15 minutes killing straggler ants, lol. All I know is they were isolated on the tank with no trail leading to or away from the stand, and they weren't there this morning :confused:

timvriens
04-16-2019, 12:30 AM
And they dit not eat any of the ants ?

danotaylor
04-16-2019, 03:05 AM
Bizarre mate. Glad all is well :cool:

Filip
04-16-2019, 03:12 AM
I'm glad that they are positioned only in your your tank Brian and not all around your bedroom . The mistery on how did they get there will remain unsolved though :confused:

jeep
04-17-2019, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure if they ate any or not. I began cleaning them out as soon as I saw them. It seems they are all gone now!!!

I'm glad that they are positioned only in your your tank Brian and not all around your bedroom . The mistery on how did they get there will remain unsolved though :confused:

Me too, but trust me, I thought every itch while I was sleeping was an ant for 2 days :crazy::crazy::crazy:

danotaylor
04-17-2019, 08:22 PM
I get it bro, whenever a patient comes into the ICU with bed bugs my nerve ending put me through the roof with twitches and itches...even when wearing all the appropriate & available the environmental protection gear...eeekkkk :crazy:

jeep
04-28-2019, 01:22 PM
4-28 Update.. Still skittish but mellowing out...

The first one is looking really nice!!!

danotaylor
04-28-2019, 01:44 PM
They look amazing Brian!!

Second Hand Pat
04-28-2019, 01:58 PM
They do look amazing Brian :D Are all your contest high-boded?
Pat

jeep
04-28-2019, 11:32 PM
They do look amazing Brian :D Are all your contest high-boded?
Pat

I believe so, even the Turq's. I've always liked the high body's as long as they are symmetrical... The Turq in the first photo seems pretty even all the way around...

Filip
04-29-2019, 07:48 PM
The Tiger looking Turq is going to be an amazing looking discus Brian . Well done

jeep
05-06-2019, 08:47 AM
They all seem healthy and are growing but at times they act like I'm out to destroy them. They all turn towards me when I enter the room to feed them, but one will turn away, then another follows the first, then another, then another, and all the sudden they all go crashing into the sides. I don't get it, but as soon as I drop the food in, the devour it. :confused:

I finally got the electrical rewired in the fish room and today I'll install insulation and begin hanging sheet rock. Hopefully I can get things finished up and get the tanks all running. Maybe if they can see other discus they will settle down a bit???

I call this one "Smalls". Its healthy and has good shape, but it's just smaller than the rest :bandana:

danotaylor
05-06-2019, 09:05 AM
They look great Brian. Smalls is no exception! Lovely job raising this batch mate. Good for you!

Phil4Discus
05-12-2019, 10:15 PM
I love them all, Brian! You did a great job and the color is looking good on them. Even Smalls is an awesome looking fish!

jeep
05-13-2019, 12:04 AM
Thanks Danny and Phillip!!! ;)

I will provide another update tomorrow, and hopefully another big update as soon as I finish insulating and painting the fish room...

jeep
05-17-2019, 09:59 AM
There's not much to add this week, other than the ants tried to make a come-back. This time, they brought along some stink bugs :eek: I didn't know stink bugs fed on ants :confused: I cannot allow my bedroom to be a haven for bugs, so they were all cleared out. Hopefully for good this time because I found the source. I've been doing some landscaping and siding work in front of the house and I found an ant hill. I guess they found a way through a very small hole near the foundation...

Here's a Friday shot during breakfast...

danotaylor
05-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Gr8 lookin group m8...nice consistent size & shape. What are your plans with them after the challenge is done?

jeep
05-17-2019, 04:52 PM
Keep them growing and see if any will spawn. I'm bad at selling adults so they are stuck with me ;)

danotaylor
05-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Lol, good plan mate. They're stunners

jeep
05-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Another weekend update... Feeling good after the water change. I've cut way back on feeding beef heart ever since I treated another tank for with Levamosile and millions of copepods emerged from the filter and onto the sides of the tank, lol... But, it's still one of their favorite foods!!!

This is X-Man. They faded a bit from the phone to the email to the forum, but his bars are broken enough to form a perfect X on one side. He's the largest of them all and approaching 5"...

pastry
05-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Good grief... that's a round, stocky looking group!

If you are trying to feed less beefheart, what are you currently substituting? Or adding more of?

jeep
05-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Good grief... that's a round, stocky looking group!

If you are trying to feed less beefheart, what are you currently substituting? Or adding more of?

Thanks!!! Their main diet these days is Tetra Colorbits, Al's FDBW's, flakes and BH about every other day... They attack everything, but even more so, the BH!!! I will have to say though, my current BH mix is very veggie and shrimp heavy, so maybe I shouldn't back off so much...

jeep
05-27-2019, 10:40 AM
Memorial Day update and breakfast!

We hope everyone has a nice and enjoyable Memorial Day!!!

SidJones
05-27-2019, 11:49 AM
That's an awesome group!

danotaylor
05-28-2019, 05:47 AM
That blue based SS is an absolute corker mate!

Second Hand Pat
05-28-2019, 07:22 AM
WOW Brian, your guys are doing very well :D
Pat