PDA

View Full Version : Brew's Review of Big Block Aquarium filters

brewmaster15
10-12-2018, 11:23 AM
I have to start off here by saying that after trying Joie's filter for the last 2 months I really like them. I took this filter from not cycled to cycled under a very demanding biological load in a 55 gal tank of Discus fry. The current grow out contest on Simply for 2018 to be precise. I started the filter in a tank of fry that had 2 hydro sponges cycled and then removed these. The tank is still running and the only filter on it is now the Big Block. I am using it to grow out the left over fry from the contest... Its fully cycled and doing a great job.

What I like about this filter is its a combination of style and form and function that makes it great in a discus tank. Its clean looking and modern. I havent put it in substrate tank since I have none but in a bare bottom tank ...its really sweet looking. I have never used a biological media combination like this but I am really impressed. ...and Its esthetically pleasing to watch the rolling media.

I like the ease of maintenance. The bottom sponge is easy enough to clean. Just invert the filter and remove the cap then take out the sponge and clean it. Piece of cake. Being a bit OCD I did eventually make myself a prefilter just because I was feeding a ton of fry and it allowed me to really keep the tank prestine. I did not want to take a chance with fry headed to the Grow Out Contest.

I can see these filters being perfect for a breeding pair as well... Its draw is diffuse enough so I don't think fry would get drawn in as they do with power filters. I think this is because of the large air stone it uses. I may move this to a pairs tank. The contest pair are due to spawn yet again... so I may test it there next.

I can't stress enough how cool it is that this runs on an air pump! Its quiet, and has a tremendous area for biofiltration. I honestly think these filters would actually look good in display tank where you want to add extra filtration but don't want to see an ugly hydro sponge.

These filters are simply not just functional but they really do look good! I am pretty impressed all around with them. After trying them out I have a few ideas I will need to talk to Joie about for my tanks,lol. Joie I think you may have created a monster here! Seriously though, I think these filters have a lot of potential in the hobby and I am definitely very impressed.

al

Paul Sabucchi
10-12-2018, 01:23 PM
Do they also come in other colours?

Mr.BigBlock
10-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Hi Al,

Thanks for the great review and I'm glad that you like it! Looks like the new batch is doing well too. :thumbsup:

Let me know if there's something I can help with!

Joie

Mr.BigBlock
10-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Do they also come in other colours?

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, they don't come in other colors at the moment...I'm working on that though!

Joie

Paul Sabucchi
10-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Cool, really intetesting to see the mix of filtration that your unique air powered filter can offer

brewmaster15
10-12-2018, 03:19 PM
I will have to take some vids when I get a chance but check out this air flow...

Thats using a $15 "whisper 60" airpump. Whats really nice about this is the whole water column in the box gets evenly oxygenated from the bottom up. Its alot different than way the hydrosponges work.

al

Disgirl
10-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Mine is on the way from Hawaii, can hardly wait for it! I even have a new air pump waiting for it.
Barb

Pices
10-12-2018, 05:59 PM
I really like the look too. Reminds me of a modern pagoda.
Patty

brewmaster15
10-12-2018, 06:15 PM
I really like the look too. Reminds me of a modern pagoda.
Patty

Hmmm..maybe thats why I like the filter so much... particularly fond of a pagoda statute in my garden! :)

Mr.BigBlock
10-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Pagoda? Hmm, don't give me any ideas...;)

pm9ljr
10-13-2018, 05:26 AM
ours arrived yesterday....wont have a chance to view till Tuesday.... but am really looking forward to it

Second Hand Pat
10-13-2018, 07:41 AM
These look pretty good. Do you have to break them down Joie for cleaning? like you do a sponge?
Pat

Pices
10-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Hmmm..maybe thats why I like the filter so much... particularly fond of a pagoda statute in my garden! :)
I love them too, but don’t have a garden or a pagoda. Hint hint Joie....not that they aren’t aesthetically pleasing now, but a couple wing tips would be a game changer by solving your real estate problem and add to the zen of minimalist discus tank. I’d definitely buy one for my 125 gal.
Patty
Patty

Mr.BigBlock
10-13-2018, 02:36 PM
These look pretty good. Do you have to break them down Joie for cleaning? like you do a sponge?
Pat

Hi Pat,

Yes, eventually you'll have to give the unit a cleaning like you would a sponge filter. As Al mentioned earlier, it's really easy...just invert the filter, remove the bottom lid and pull out the sponge for a good rinse. Replace the bottom cover and you're good to go!

Depending on the bio-load, you may have to rinse out the ceramic media too.

Joie

Mr.BigBlock
10-13-2018, 02:39 PM
Hi Patty,

I'll see what I can do about adding those wing tips!

Joie