PDA

View Full Version : discus with red inflamed fins

matt2426
10-21-2018, 09:41 PM
Hi i was hoping i could get some feedback last week i had a ammonia spike in my tank after cleaning one of my filters. and through out the week ive lost a lot of tetras and other community fish. i didn't lose any discus as of yet I got the ammonia under control seems like my levels are back to normal anyway i woke up this morning and noticed one of my discus fins are red and inflamed on the side the one fin is discolored what would you guys suggest i do im sure its due to the ammonia should i add furan 2 or just keep doing large daily water changes ? will this heal. water levels are ph 8.0 nitrate 15ppm nitrite 0 ammonia 0 here are a few pictures id really appreciate some feedback i know i asked alot of question im sure its a ammonia burn or stress is there things i can do to help this guy out thanks alot119033119034119034119035

Filip
10-22-2018, 05:21 AM
Here is my own thread about the same problem I had couple of years ago.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?122953-Red-bloody-base-of-one-fin

In the second post Al points that it can be a reaction from ammonia spike , like the one you just have recently .

matt2426
10-22-2018, 05:59 AM
Here is my own thread about the same problem I had couple of years ago.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?122953-Red-bloody-base-of-one-fin

In the second post Al points that it can be a reaction from ammonia spike , like the one you just have recently .

thanks filip ya thats exactly what im dealing with did it heal after a while thanks

Filip
10-22-2018, 06:05 AM
thanks filip ya thats exactly what im dealing with did it heal after a while thanks

Not in my case . But your experience may differ.
I would just stick with the optimistic scenario that it's just an ammonia burn for now IIWY.

matt2426
10-22-2018, 06:13 AM
Not in my case . But your experience may differ.
I would just stick with the optimistic scenario that it's just an ammonia burn for now IIWY.

ok thanks filip did that fish evenually die did you give furan 2 a shot but ill just keep up on the water changes and see if it improves

Filip
10-22-2018, 06:43 AM
I can't remember if it healed on it's own or I just started ignoring it because it didnt interfere with fish behaviour in any way.
That fish developed and eye infection problem later and I killed it during treatments with Furan for eye infection because I underestimated the bioload and filtration in my QT tank .

slicksta
10-22-2018, 08:19 AM
Matt
As with the Cardinals I don't believe it to be an infection, but probably an Ammonia burn.
I would try stress coat and possibly Melafix as a prophylactic against developing an infection.
If this is developing now, I still believe the cleaned filter is not fully cycled and compounding the problem.
You can take some of the media from the HOB filter, preferably sponge if available and squeeze it into the Fx6, and leave a few pieces in there as well. This is my method for starting a new tank quickly and I have had good results.
Good luck

bluelagoon
10-22-2018, 08:33 AM
Some times it's guessing game.From what I see from the pics,it "could be" septicemia.If it is,Furan 2 and other broad spectrum antibiotics will get rid of it.Some fish in the tank may not look/get infected but it can be contagious.If it gets worse and starts to look like blood stained fins and may even have some fin rot,I don't think WC's will help once it gets that bad.If that the cause,I would medicate the whole tank.

matt2426
10-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Ok ill try the furan 2 i think but it can cause to lose my bio load how many i prevent that

matt2426
10-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Matt
As with the Cardinals I don't believe it to be an infection, but probably an Ammonia burn.
I would try stress coat and possibly Melafix as a prophylactic against developing an infection.
If this is developing now, I still believe the cleaned filter is not fully cycled and compounding the problem.
You can take some of the media from the HOB filter, preferably sponge if available and squeeze it into the Fx6, and leave a few pieces in there as well. This is my method for starting a new tank quickly and I have had good results.
Good luck

Ok thanks will furan 2 do the same thing

slicksta
10-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Matt if you're filter isn't cycled you may want to avoid antibiotics.
I've never used furan 2 so I can not speak about it...and honestly I haven't had a need to use an antibiotic in years.
Melafix though containing some antibiotic properties is not a medicine but more of a natural home remedy. But I can say that I've seen it help with healing wounds, torn fins and acclimating new fish.
Your going to get a lot of different opinions and all with good intention and backed by personal experience... But the fact is that we are mostly guessing. What I have learned is less is more and keep it simple when it comes to treating fish.
That said, your original posts start with an aggressive filter cleaning and following ammonia spike and I believe that's where your problem remains and what needs to be addressed.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Megalodon
10-22-2018, 12:18 PM

Filip
10-22-2018, 01:07 PM

Agree on this .
Nitrofurazone is very harsh on benificial bacteria and your filter is still going through a mini cycle .

matt2426
10-22-2018, 04:37 PM
I've never used furan 2 so I can not speak about it...and honestly I haven't had a need to use an antibiotic in years.
Melafix though containing some antibiotic properties is not a medicine but more of a natural home remedy. But I can say that I've seen it help with healing wounds, torn fins and acclimating new fish.
Your going to get a lot of different opinions and all with good intention and backed by personal experience... But the fact is that we are mostly guessing. What I have learned is less is more and keep it simple when it comes to treating fish.
That said, your original posts start with an aggressive filter cleaning and following ammonia spike and I believe that's where your problem remains and what needs to be addressed.
Good luck and keep us posted.

ok thanks for the response ill just focus on getting my water back to normal but every time i test atleast in the last 3 or 4 days all my levels say that there where there suppose to be 0 ammonio around 10 to 15 ppm of nitrate and 0 nitrite i use the api master kit for testing. but ill just doing a bunch of big water changes for now i think your right ill forget about the furan for a while see if the ammonio burn heals on its own

slicksta
10-22-2018, 04:58 PM
Matt
One observation I've had with Cardinals is that they don't want to be involved at all in the cycling of a filter and though your readings may be good the filter may still be going through the process.
Try not to stress about it. . believe me we've all been there and have suffered self inflicted wounds.
Maybe one day I'll tell you how I out_smarted myself and poisoned my tank with copper pipe :P

Good luck and let us know how they're doing

matt2426
10-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Matt
One observation I've had with Cardinals is that they don't want to be involved at all in the cycling of a filter and though your readings may be good the filter may still be going through the process.
Try not to stress about it. . believe me we've all been there and have suffered self inflicted wounds.
Maybe one day I'll tell you how I out_smarted myself and poisoned my tank with copper pipe :P

Good luck and let us know how they're doing

ok thanks alot ill keep everyone posted. ya all the cards and rummys and german rams took a big hit on this mistake lost alot of fish this week . another rummy died today everyday for the last week or so im still losing fish just hope everything gets on track soon would you suggest using quickstart a bio liquid that helps cycle tanks or are those things useless but im going to add that sponge from the aquaclear and put in my fx6 for alittle while to help speed up this process thanks again

slicksta
10-22-2018, 05:40 PM
I've had good luck with moving media around the get a filter going.
Squeeze the sponge juice into the fx6 a few times and then leave some in there as well. Let it settle for 5 minutes and then when you first start up the fx6 cut the flow down to 20% for the first hour... then slowly increase the flow over the next 10 minutes or so until you are wide open. This way don't have a big rush of loose particles into the tank.

matt2426
10-22-2018, 07:38 PM
I've had good luck with moving media around the get a filter going.
Squeeze the sponge juice into the fx6 a few times and then leave some in there as well. Let it settle for 5 minutes and then when you first start up the fx6 cut the flow down to 20% for the first hour... then slowly increase the flow over the next 10 minutes or so until you are wide open. This way don't have a big rush of loose particles into the tank.

ok thanks ill give that a try what about adding liquid bio like quick start or seachem stabilize do those products work

slicksta
10-22-2018, 08:57 PM
I've never used them, but if you read the reviews it seems to be hit or miss.
My impression is that it might work if you can get a fresh bottle that's been stored correctly.