PDA

View Full Version : Discus Newbie 55g Barebottom

Lionheart
11-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Hey all,

Like others, gonna start this thread to get advice along the way. Here is the setup. Tank is (slowly (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?133896-Fishless-Cycle-Barebottom-Tank&p=1302262#post1302262)) cycling, so probably a couple weeks out.

TANK
Standard 55 gallon long
Bare bottom - bottom painted white, blue background sheet
2 AC 70s, no carbon and added an extra sponge and prefilters
2 Eheim Jager 250w heaters holding steady at 84 degrees

FISH
Looking at 6 3"-4" discus from Kenny, or possibly our new sponsored supplier (local to me), Dennis.
Will be a mix of strains and colors (hopefully)

WATER
Using API liquid drops for water testing

In discussions with Kenny, he seemed to think my tap water would be fine:
6 (100) gH, 3 (50) kH, 8.2 pH (drops to 7.6 after 24 hours in tank), 0ppm Am, 0ppm NI, 0ppm NA

Will be doing 50% daily water changes
Will use Stability and Prime with each change

FOOD
4 times/day (9am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm, WC)
Al's freeze dried blackworms
Hikari/San Fran frozen blood worms
Hikari discus bio-gold pellets
Seachem discus probiotic flakes

Second Hand Pat
11-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Looks like a great start Lionheart, I would suggest aging your water since you have a ph drop.
Pat

danotaylor
11-05-2018, 12:26 AM
Looks great mate!! That's quite the psychedelic background pic...some nice bright red & yellow strains would really pop against that...

Paul Sabucchi
11-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Hi and welcome to Simply Discus, you have all the basics correct to achieve good results, maybe just leave out the frizen bloodworms as their nutritional value is scarce but on the other hand often cause health problems (although I hear SF is one of the better quality ones)

Pices
11-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Good advice given above. It’s sounds like you have the makings of a healthy happy discus tank. Keep us posted and welcome!
Patty

Lionheart
11-05-2018, 08:38 AM
No frozen bloodworms? OK. I thought I had read about using them.

Still on the fence on beefheart. Guess I need to see if i can even get it here.

I have gotten too many recommendations to age water so ignore it, so will be getting a 45 gallon trash can that will hide nicely in my bathroom closet. I move on of my 250W heater into it and purchased a Sunsun JVP-110 2.5W for agitation.

Lionheart
11-18-2018, 02:20 PM
So, tank is still cycling. Been pretty slow, so I have been adding some filter media and substrate from my other tanks. Just today got a smidge of nitrites so hoping it will not be long.

I have also added a Sunsun JVP-110 2.5W 528GPH Mini Wavemaker, mostly to help with cleaning the bottom. I have it slightly pointed up, moved one of my AC to the same back corner, and added extensions to the filters so they are just a couple inches from the tank bottom. I have watched as some small pieces of debris traveling along the bottom and then into the filter. Hoping this circular flow will cut down on the poop on the bottom (although I know I will just need to clean that filter more often). That and my breeder has a pretty heavy flow in his tanks so I doubt it will bother them.

I also finished installing this Belkin power strip (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P2UMNK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It has both outlets that stay on (for lights) and outlets that can be remotely turned off (filters, temp, powerhead). This way, during wc and feedings, I can just flip a switch and turn off filters and powerhead. Plan is to set a timer so as not to forget to turn it back on.

I got an EcoPlus 1056 GPH pump for pumping water out of my (yet to be purchased) aging trash can, although I still need to get better tubing. I got some from Lowe's but it kinks a lot. I think I am also going to pick up a python for siphoning and draining. Luckily, I have a bathroom sink about 40 feet away. So, the thinking is to use the python to siphon/drain, then pump aged water into the tank, and then use the siphon again to fill the aging can. Any debris from the drain should be killed by the chlorine in the aging can, right? (not going to add prime to the aging can).

Adam S
11-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Looking good so far. A couple thoughts:

- It really cuts down on maintenance if the flow settles waste in a spot or two instead of kicking it up into the filter. This way you can just siphon it out during water changes and go longer in between filter cleanings.

- EcoPlus lists incorrect thread sizes for their pumps. Hold off on buying barbs/adapters until you get the pump.

Lionheart
11-24-2018, 05:24 PM
Just placed my order with Dennis (https://dennisdiscusfish.com/)! :D

Family is super excited. Each of my girls got to pick out 2.

4” Blue Turquoise
4” Marlboro Yellow
4” Red Turquoise
3.75” Red Pigeon
3.75” Golden Pigeon
3.5” Snow White
3.5” Golden Sunrise

Just waiting for tank to cycle.

danotaylor
11-24-2018, 07:03 PM
That's great news mate. I'm sure Dennis is happy with a return on his sponsorship investment, and I know you will be stoked as well!!
Keep us posted on your progress :thumbsup:

MickO'S
11-25-2018, 04:32 AM
Sounds like a great group with lots of colour going on !!
I did a democratic let everyone in the family pick fish. It gets everyone involved!

Any idea when you’ll be getting them ??

Paul Sabucchi
11-25-2018, 06:10 AM
Planning by committee at it's best! Can't wait to see your new fish

Lionheart
11-26-2018, 09:17 PM
Here is the group: How do they look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWs4oqHXn0k&feature=youtu.be

LizStreithorst
11-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Very nice. From what I've seen, Dennis imports good fish.

danotaylor
11-26-2018, 10:01 PM
They look great mate, and will get better and better as they settle in more. I'm very happy with the quality of my fish from Dennis as well, and he's very easy to work with. Keep the updates coming :thumbsup:

Lionheart
12-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Nitrates finally rising, so hoping we are getting closer.

Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that my fish are ready but my tank is not. It has given me a chance to get setup.

We have a long bathroom that has a second door in the back that leads to my work from home office. There is a closet next to that door that I converted into a water aging / wc workstation. I took the door off and removed most of the shelves. I used command strips to mount stuff so I could move it later if needed. I replaced the 44g trash can with a 55g water barrel. It just fits better in the space anyway. Barrel is about 20 feet from the tank.

This is my personal favorite. This power strip lets you control each individual socket. So, when draining the barrel, I can just turn off the heater & airstone. I can leave the pump plugged in and just hit one switch to turn it on. Loving this.

I also took the recommendation from someone on this forum to get the quick connects for the hoses. I just clip in and out of the faucet, the pump, siphon and fill hook. So easy. Trying to minimize the time in takes to wc.

At the moment, it takes 35 minutes to drain 75%, 23 minutes to fill from aging barrel, and 25 minutes to fill the aging barrel back up. I'll probably do these during the work day, since it only takes 2-3 minutes to get the water going. I think I read that you should do WC's the same time of day? Is this true?

Other thoughts on the setup?

LizStreithorst
12-05-2018, 09:21 PM
You're doing well, but given your set-up for WC, I'm not surprised that it takes that long.

Lionheart
12-06-2018, 03:35 PM
So, after 24 hrs, the pH in my aging barrel has only decreased .2 from 8.4 to 8.2. I am looking for it to bottom out at 7.4. I guess my little 10-30g air pump and air stone are not going to cut it. Guess I will try the SunSun powerhead today. See if that is any better. If not, I guess I'll need a stronger air pump. I tried my EcoPlus, but it is too loud for long periods of use. I do have to work in this space haha.

RogueDiscus
12-06-2018, 09:24 PM
So, after 24 hrs, the pH in my aging barrel has only decreased .2 from 8.4 to 8.2. I am looking for it to bottom out at 7.4. I guess my little 10-30g air pump and air stone are not going to cut it. Guess I will try the SunSun powerhead today. See if that is any better. If not, I guess I'll need a stronger air pump. I tried my EcoPlus, but it is too loud for long periods of use. I do have to work in this space haha.

I hope others will chime in, but I think it's interesting that it's only dropped that much, yet goes to 7.4 in you tank. Makes me wonder if something else is going on in your tank. But maybe it'll get there in the aging barrel eventually.

Pices
12-06-2018, 11:12 PM
I love my python and quick connects. I only regret not inventing it myself.
I also think it’s weird that your ph isn’t the same as the tank in 24 hrs. What’s up with that?
Patty

Lionheart
12-06-2018, 11:22 PM
My guess is that air stone was not strong enough to aerate the water in 24 hrs. I used to have a 44g trash can and it took a little more than a day. I added my sun sun wave maker to the aging barrel to see if that helps.

Lionheart
12-07-2018, 01:49 PM
well, confirmed the airstone and sunsun wave maker are not enough to aerate the 55g aging tank. pH reading 8.0 after 20hrs while my tank is at it's usual 7.4. what are folks using for pumps to aerate water in aging barrels?

Lionheart
01-01-2019, 03:38 PM
I'll post better pics later, but here is the gang. I picked them up December 15th and they have been doing great. Changing 50-75% of water daily with a few skipped days here and there. Parameters are perfect, and they are eating well three times a day with beefheart and fdbw. I am trying the bio gold, but only a few have been eating them. Pecking order is being established, but no one seems to be getting bullied too much.

Got these guys from Dennis Discus (https://dennisdiscusfish.com/) (SD sponsor). He is awesome. Super friendly with amazing fish. I live nearby so I was able to pick them up in person.

jmaldo
01-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Very Nice Rainbow assortment. Informative thread.
Will be setting up a Planted? (driftwood with Plants attached) 75g -125g with 6-8 Discus come Springtime. So your water pH is 7.4-7.6. Correct. Northeast Ohio here, tap is 7.6. What is the TDS?

Lionheart
01-01-2019, 10:15 PM
Yes, NW Ohio water for me comes out at 8.4 so I age it and it settles at 7.4-7.6 after 24 hours. Not sure about TDS as my supplier is also NW Ohio (Dennis) so I am not monitoring it.

If you are asking if my tank will be planted, not sure yet. I think once they are a year or more older I might add some light sand and some tall wood "trunks" like the image below from the Toledo Zoo aquarium... Light background tho I think...