PDA

View Full Version : Clean Fish Room

LizStreithorst
11-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Cleaning the mess down there was yesterday's project. I'm ashamed to admit that it took most of the day. I know that the table is an eyesore, but after the dogs broke the glass top table I, I was in dire need of a flat surface. I picked up the ugly white table after delivering fish to the LFS. There's a place in the same strip mall called Dirt Cheap. The table was dirt cheap but it will do until I stumble upon something nicer.

Paul Sabucchi
11-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Job well done!

Second Hand Pat
11-12-2018, 03:48 PM
What a great women cave Liz, looks like heaven :D Thank you for sharing!
Pat

Willie
11-12-2018, 04:16 PM
I love that you have room for a comfy couch and coffee table to sit and really enjoy your discus. In 20+ years, this is only the second fish room I've ever seen that had that.

Willie

LizStreithorst
11-12-2018, 04:39 PM
I love that you have room for a comfy couch and coffee table to sit and really enjoy your discus. In 20+ years, this is only the second fish room I've ever seen that had that.

Willie

Having a sofa in there was the plan from the get go. The carpenter who built it for me was a former fish breeder and he thought that I should fill the space in the middle with more racks of tanks! I wanted my fish hobby to be a relaxing hobby, not work.

The sofa is a nice place to read in a dreary cold rainy day like today. I like to get dressed down there on winter mornings because it's always warm. It's also a very good sleeping sofa for when I have a family member visit from abroad. My air pump is as close to silent as you can get. I fall asleep listening to the sound of bubbles.

Here's a pic of how it looked the last time I slept down there when my SIL visited from Brazil.

Adam S
11-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Lovely fish room. Having a concrete floor and utility sink in the room sounds dreamy.

Pices
11-12-2018, 09:41 PM
I would love to be surrounded by tanks! I love it! What is in that tank behind the couch in the 3rd pic? What a great place to hang out. Forget the she shed-I want that!
Patty

Maddie
11-13-2018, 12:56 AM
That's an awesome fishroom!

Tshethar
11-13-2018, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I love it, too. The comfortable seating is a great plan... will remember that if and when.

I also envy the water storage bins. Only thing I don't see that I might want (though maybe you have) is a PVC drain line.

I also noticed all the Magnum HOT filters (and cartridges). The regular Magnums (330 and a 350) were my first canister filters and I remember my first LFS boss would take a giant pool pump with a micron filter around the store and use it to polish tanks (supplemented occasionally by the glass diatom filter). I never owned one of the hang-on variety but I'll bet they do a good job with the particulates...

Also noticed that it looks like Pat has you making tea... :)

brewmaster15
11-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Home sweet Home! I love it Liz!

As a side note, you should practice with that camera on those Angels (and post them!), from the pics you have some very nice ones there!

al

LizStreithorst
11-13-2018, 09:56 AM
I'll do it Al, and today is the perfect day for it. It's cold, rainy, and miserable outside. The only other thing I can think of doing is read. No sense in house cleaning with the dogs tracking in with their muddy feet.

danotaylor
11-14-2018, 02:50 AM
Great looking fish room Liz!! Looks like a super place to relax.

I noticed the line up of filter cartridges with iron stains...are you on well water in your location? At my previous residence I was on well water with high iron. I would aerate it bring the iron out of solution and then run a pool filter with the same cartridge you use to strain the iron out. Our iron levels were so high I would have to replace the cartridge every 300 gallons or so.

LizStreithorst
11-14-2018, 08:33 AM
It's not iron. It's stains from the Roobios tea. When my husband and I first moved here we had well water that was full of iron. It discolored all the laundry. It was terrible. My after we hooked up to the municipal water years later there was now noticeable iron.

FischAutoTechGarten
11-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Awesome She-Shed!

:D

Mando
11-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Cleaning the mess down there was yesterday's project. I'm ashamed to admit that it took most of the day. I know that the table is an eyesore, but after the dogs broke the glass top table I, I was in dire need of a flat surface. I picked up the ugly white table after delivering fish to the LFS. There's a place in the same strip mall called Dirt Cheap. The table was dirt cheap but it will do until I stumble upon something nicer.

Is it me, or is the wood in the 2nd photo bowing a bit?

Beautiful cave! I’d sleep there over my own bed without hesitations.

LizStreithorst
11-14-2018, 07:52 PM
Don't remind me, Mando. When I manage to sell enough fish that I have an empty 240 gallons, I'll drain the 120 in the 2nd photo and switch that tank for a 120 with a glass divider in the middle. I'll be able to put a "leg" in the middle where the divider is which will not block the view or interfere with maintenance.

JamesW
11-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Looks awesome!!

jeep
11-14-2018, 09:32 PM
I have some HOT Magnums as well. Great for polishing the water...

danotaylor
11-14-2018, 11:51 PM
It's not iron. It's stains from the Roobios tea. When my husband and I first moved here we had well water that was full of iron. It discolored all the laundry. It was terrible. My after we hooked up to the municipal water years later there was now noticeable iron.

Gotcha, makes sense. Yea we had to put in a water softener system to remove the iron so it didn't ruin our clothes. We were almost a 1/4 mi off the main road and to bring municipal water back was almost $7.5K. The water softener was the better option at the time. ANyhoo, we now live in Cincy so the town water works just fine :)

LizStreithorst
11-15-2018, 08:18 AM
I have some HOT Magnums as well. Great for polishing the water...

It killed me when they quit selling them. I bought some of the ones that are made to replace them and I hate them. I use them in my 120's...they're big enough to handle the fast water flow. On smaller tanks they buffet the poor fish around.

sanjay21
11-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Beautiful fish room ! and so well maintained.

LizStreithorst
11-15-2018, 05:20 PM
It doesn't stay this clean all the time, sanjay. I do keep up with tank maintenance though.

Swedgin
12-11-2018, 12:27 PM
Just came across this. Wow, love it. I’d give my left pinky to have a proper fish room.

Did you ever try the fulvic acid with your fish?

LizStreithorst
12-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Not yet, Tobi. I'm finishing up my last bag of Roobios tea first.